• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheap flight from NZ

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Just happened to be typing into the House of Travel site and found a great deal NZ$1,500 return to Madrid on Qatar, flight time barely a day each way. Perfect for a spring camino. 4am arrival time home is early enough that you slip into bed for a couple of hours as soon as you get back, then get up at 8am and try to trick your body into thinking it's morning.
1542509683736.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just happened to be typing into the House of Travel site and found a great deal NZ$1,500 return to Madrid on Qatar, flight time barely a day each way. Perfect for a spring camino. 4am arrival time home is early enough that you slip into bed for a couple of hours as soon as you get back, then get up at 8am and try to trick your body into thinking it's morning.
View attachment 48955
Now this is what I call a generous spirit! I presume you may be tempted but probably not enough to act, so soon after your just finished camino time!

I dare not even breathe about another yet. Hubby has just been away for the weekend and when he texted last night asking what I was doing I did say "reading an account of the Camino de la Lana". He told me I'm a goat! In the back of my mind is the fact that we both turn 50 next year. His birthday is first. Could I give him a voucher for a camino? Of course he'd need to reciprocate! That would beat a party any day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I dare not even breathe about another yet. Hubby has just been away for the weekend and when he texted last night asking what I was doing I did say "reading an account of the Camino de la Lana". He told me I'm a goat! In the back of my mind is the fact that we both turn 50 next year. His birthday is first. Could I give him a voucher for a camino? Of course he'd need to reciprocate! That would beat a party any day.
I paid 40,000 qantas FF points and $342 for a one way to Barcelona as a Christmas present for my son, going in May.

I'm booked with qatar to Paris for next year to continue Le Puy Route from Estaing to Rncesvalles. Can't wait. It is such a good deal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
View attachment 48955
View attachment 48955

One other idea you may want to keep an eye on is Norwegian Air. I’m From NZ but live in LA. My wife and I just got our one way ticket LAX to Madrid for $220. Sure you have to transfer in LA but it might be worth keeping an eye on. Flown them about 5 times. A great budget carrier. New planes etc. just depends if timing on deals works for you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Craig Towers
How long is the LAX-Madrid flight? Is it direct?
Yes it’s direct. 14 hours. Funny Norwegian has a kind of an auction system to buy last minute business class inventory. For $110 we upgraded to business. It’s not like a flag carrier but for that money you get meals free drinks bigger seat etc. luck of the draw totally

Well if you can find one of the non-stop to LAX 12 hour flights for under NZ$1000 it would be a comparable (and potentially much better) option. The stars would need to align for connecting flights to be on sale at the same time!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thats a cheap way of getting rid of him!!
Chortle chortle...

Frankly I wouldn't consider that AKL-LAX-MAD itinerary, no matter how cheap.
11 or 12 hours to LAX, and them another 14 to MAD? It sounds like a recipe for DVT to me.
Once I was going from Honolulu to Bangkok and found the cheapest itinerary was to backtrack to LAX and then direct to BKK.
Never. Again.
It wasn't worth it.

@VNwalking do you mind explaining how that is so different to 17 to Doha and 8 to Madrid or 3 to Gold Coast, then 11 to Shanghai, then a 7 hour layover and finally another 12 to Madrid???

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Chortle chortle...

11 or 12 hours to LAX, and them another 14 to MAD? It sounds like a recipe for DVT to me.
Once I was going from Honolulu to Bangkok and found the cheapest itinerary was to backtrack to LAX and then direct to BKK.
Never. Again.
It wasn't worth it.
It is unfortunately only a hour or so longer than the other options. The price we pay for living here and being Camino addicts. All the options add up to a long trip, and still we do it.

@VNwalking do you mind explaining how that is so different to 17 to Doha and 8 to Madrid or 3 to Gold Coast, then 11 to Shanghai, then a 7 hour layover and finally another 12 to Madrid???
Im keen to try the Doha - Madrid option next time. I always find the second leg the worst, so doing the longer trip first makes the second one seem just a little bit further.

Last edited:
One thing is that it is West to East - which I find much harder as far a jet lag is concerned (and I believe this is not just my experience but a physiological body-clock thing - lengthening the day is harder than shortening it).

And I prefer 3 shorter legs with reasonably long layovers (3 hours, say) to 2 very long ones, because I can get out and walk.
@Anamiri is so right: it's a massive journey, no matter what the routing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
VNwalking you are so right about the West to East jet lag. Every year it takes me over a week to get my body clock back to Australia time, whereas I can start walking after two nights when landing in Spain. I now go via Doha,11hrs then 7hrs to Madrid. No choice as I am a Camino addict.:)

Am I glad I never did get the one way £10.00 assisted passage to Australia when I finished college! As I said to a forum member from NZ in a pm the other day, I salute you all, those who live far away, up yonder, or down thonder. it is a very serious commitment of time, and money, but you know why you do it, time and time again!

Chortle chortle...

Never. Again.
It wasn't worth it.

It all depends where you want to end up. Your going to end up with a connection somewhere. Just check what the last leg will cost you where ever you end up. Madrid can be a good hub to jump from. But so can other places. I’d only say Don’t make all those flight connections too tight. Give yourself some breathing space. Work in your accommodation costs if you need a layover. One flight with better times can be more economical overall. Funny how many zombie walkers I see from downunder that try to push through and get on the road. But they are knackered. Crash on day 3 anyway.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.