• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheap pilgrims bungalows on the Lisbon coastal route

Fatty Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
France
Hi
I'm currently walking from Lisbon around the coast and I'm near Catribana. I may be wrong but I read about some cheap huts for pilgrim's on a campsite along this route. I've searched the forum and can't find anything, am I dreaming or do they exist.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
I'm currently walking from Lisbon around the coast and I'm near Catribana. I may be wrong but I read about some cheap huts for pilgrim's on a campsite along this route. I've searched the forum and can't find anything, am I dreaming or do they exist.
Hi Fatty Walker, hope your journey is going well. Just wondering what the route is like. Much hassle finding albergues and I presume it's very quiet.
I'am heading over on October 2nd for 2 weeks. Still not sure which route to take. Buen Camino.

Hi jerby
It's not an easy route as it's not really the official route that I'm taking, as for albergues there isn't any along the coast. I'm sure if you want there are plenty of small guesthouses and hotels as you pass through quite a lot of small tourist resorts. Personally I'm wild camping as my poncho turns into a shelter, I expect when I get to Fatima that will change as there should be more pelegrinos from there on, infact due to it not being a popular route I'm on day 5 and just had my first bom cahmino.
I'm doing a little blog for myself and my friends on Facebook, if you want to have a look you're more than welcome but as it's for myself I'm not a great writer and I do use bad language so if your easily offended I recommend you don't bother.
https://www.facebook.com/Ramblings-Of-A-Fat-Punk-121321055171035/

Fatty Walker!
So thrilled to see your post!!!!
I savage camped much of my Le Puy route and Norte route with five of my six children.
My daughters and I are heading out to do the same next March from Lisbon.
This time a friend and her daughter will be joining us (with no Camino experience). I am
excited and nervous all in the same breath. I suspect your blog will help me a lot as I too want to go
from the coast!
Thank you for sharing and please throw any info you think I could use my way!
Neve

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fatty Walker, Which guide book are you using?
We are reading your blog and pretty certain we are going to follow in your footsteps. We hammock camp, and ground camp.
We are on your day in Tomar at present .
You might share this in your blog but I see you are now on the Primitivo...can you share how you connected the routes.
We have been interested in the same.
Thanks tons!
Neve

Obtain official Campground details from the internet, maps and brochures from Information offices in the main centres.
Then keep your eye out for Campground signs on the road sides as you wander along. They are quite prominent.
I found Orbitur particularly good, some having little shops and cafes.
They also had pilgrim rates, perhaps not always.
They seemed to welcome pilgrims. I was even upgraded occasionally to chalets with kitchen, bathroom and aircon!
One day I was also picked up and safely delivered by a staff member.
Regards and Bom Camino,
Gerard

Sorry if this is late but I've only just spotted it, after walking to Santiago I got the bus out to Ferrol and walked the Inglese, I then took the bus to Oviedo and walked back on the Primitivo.
The wild camping is easy if you're discreet, pitch up late off the track and pack up early, people don't even know you've been there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Obtain official Campground details from the internet, maps and brochures from Information offices in the main centres.
Then keep your eye out for Campground signs on the road sides as you wander along. They are quite prominent.
I found Orbitur particularly good, some having little shops and cafes.
They also had pilgrim rates, perhaps not always.
They seemed to welcome pilgrims. I was even upgraded occasionally to chalets with kitchen, bathroom and aircon!
One day I was also picked up and safely delivered by a staff member.
Regards and Bom Camino,
Gerard
You're awesome! Thank you for sharing!!!!!
So hoping to pull this off and will share and take notes.

Sorry if this is late but I've only just spotted it, after walking to Santiago I got the bus out to Ferrol and walked the Inglese, I then took the bus to Oviedo and walked back on the Primitivo.
The wild camping is easy if you're discreet, pitch up late off the track and pack up early, people don't even know you've been there.
Thank you Fatty, who I doubt is Fatty any longer...
I have followed your posts and taken great notes from it.
You have now inspired us to do the Inglais after, which I have done at the end of a Camino when I had some time to kill.
I am REALLY interested in your start of Covas on that route if you ever share more...:)
GREAT JOB!!!!!

I am REALLY interested in your start of Covas on that route if you ever share more...:)
GREAT JOB!!!!!

To get to Covas from Ferrol there is a bus at 7.20 in the morning from Rua Igrexa
https://goo.gl/maps/VYc4AWj4bW62

You get off in Covas outside a cafe where you can get a stamp and the old albergue is not far behind the cafe where the camino used to start. Bring food and water as there isn't that many places to get any. I was told that it was 27 km back to Ferrol but I ended up walking around 33 km that was from the GPS tracks. You can get a bus back into Ferrol after around 24 km if you wish from Praza Pardo de Cela which my friend did and if I'm honest your not missing anything as the walk from there to Ferrol isn't really very interesting.
https://goo.gl/maps/ru61Rwajut22

The walk from Covas was my favourite part of the Inglese and after the route has taken you around the hill please go up to the top of the hill at the old WW2 lookout post before climbing down the hill as the views were amazing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To get to Covas from Ferrol there is a bus at 7.20 in the morning from Rua Igrexa
https://goo.gl/maps/VYc4AWj4bW62

You get off in Covas outside a cafe where you can get a stamp and the old albergue is not far behind the cafe where the camino used to start. Bring food and water as there isn't that many places to get any. I was told that it was 27 km back to Ferrol but I ended up walking around 33 km that was from the GPS tracks. You can get a bus back into Ferrol after around 24 km if you wish from Praza Pardo de Cela which my friend did and if I'm honest your not missing anything as the walk from there to Ferrol isn't really very interesting.
https://goo.gl/maps/ru61Rwajut22

The walk from Covas was my favourite part of the Inglese and after the route has taken you around the hill please go up to the top of the hill at the old WW2 lookout post before climbing down the hill as the views were amazing.
Thank you a million times for your sharing!
I have really enjoyed reading your detailed info on where to stop etc...
GREAT JOB!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back