• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheaper flights with Norwegian Air thanks to exchange rate

Purky

The Dutch guy
Time of past OR future Camino
Reality is frequently inaccurate
Currently checking out tickets from Holland to Norway, because I'm planning to walk the Gudbrandsdalsleden next summer. I am one of those people that likes to plan, so I've been checking prices since the beginning of this month. There have been some minor changes in price, so tonight I decided to google "the best moment to book Norwegian Air tickets".

This led me to a very interesting find: if I book and pay my tickets online through the original Norwegian site (https://www.norwegian.no) and pay in Norwegian Kroner, I pay € 17,- less (after currency conversion) than when I book and pay in euros using https://www.norwegian.com and select my country of origin. Paying less will of course only happen if the exchange rate between NOK and your own currency is favorable. Nevertheless, especially if you fly into Norway from further away, this way of booking could save you quite a bit of money.

But do pay attention to how you pay: "Depending on your preferred method of payment, a surcharge may apply". So first find out if you can use a card that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees, or use a debit card. Also, if this works with Norwegian, it might also work with other airlines. Worth a try.

(Original source)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Had similar results on other non-US airlines when paying in their country’s currency (and letting my credit card convert) yielded better rates than the airline-offered currency. The same has often been true with trains, buses, hotels, etc. It’s always worth a look!

Same with low-price airfare-search engines. When you find a suitable flight(s) go to aircarrier webpage and check the price there first. Many times much lower!

After years of being frugal cheap offers just came my way ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As of current, www.norwegian.com has flights from at least 13 destinations in all over USA to Europe. I strongly advice you to check it out: You could save a lot of money. I only use this company myself. Very cheap, due to brand new, cost-effective planes. Select their low-fare calendar if you are flexible.

Agree. I was recently there-and-back on theirs 787s in Economy class and 10-12 hours is really bearable. With 9 (!!!) toilets on board ;)

Last edited:
My daughter and her family recently flew nonstop from Oakland, California to Copenhagen for something ridiculously cheap like $350 per person each way. As with all the low-cost airlines, you have to be aware of the fees, like baggage, seat assignments, etc. I think she told me the meal served on that flight cost $45.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
... I think she told me the meal served on that flight cost $45.
Get there tired (sleeping guaranteed on a plane) with some snacks and sandwiches and you'll be just fine. After all you will be (or were) a pilgrim sitting all sweated in a shade of only tree 3 miles in a range munching on some dried fruits in the middle of Spain ;)

LOVE Norwegian - just booked our next Camino flight in April for $360RT! Yes, that’s no checked baggage (travel lightly), no advanced seat assignment (we have ended up 6 of 6 past flights sitting together), and no terrible airline food (it’s a red-eye, so do you really eat st home between 7pm and 6am?). Great planes and a wonderful flight

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back