• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheapest accommodation advice

grimtoffee

Hi all
I have just started on the Camino Portuguese starting in Porto and we have found an albuergue for our first nights stay, but it is much more expensive than we were hoping for at 20 euros per person. I've read that we should be expecting it to be cheaper....does it get cheaper the deeper in you go?
If anyone has advice about specific places that are cheap, please let us know!
Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've just completed the camino from Porto to Santiago. I didn't stay in an albergue in Porto but I did for the rest of the walk. All of them were 5 euros or asked for a donation. Most of the albergues were fairly new and spotlessly clean.

I have just started on the Camino Portuguese starting in Porto and we have found an albuergue for our first nights stay, but it is much more expensive than we were hoping for at 20 euros per person.

Are you sure this was not a private albergue? On the Portuguese route, I also never paid more than €5

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Same here...mostly 5e or donation unless you choose a pension or private albergue. Unlike Camino Frances, there is much less selection and the official albergues along the Camino Portugues are mostly in very specific towns, so you need to plan ahead if you are looking for the most inexpensive place to sleep. Having just walked (July 2012), here are the places I stayed in along the way and the price-

Day 2- Sao Pedro de Rates- donation
Day 3- Tamel Sao Pedro Fins- 5e
Day 4- Ponte de Lima- 5e (please note, currently, albergue only opens at 5pm!)
Day 5- Rubiaes- donation
Day 6- Tui- 5e
Day 7- Redondela- 5e (didn't care much for this one and next time, would rather either pay more and get a private albergue or just continue to another town)
Day 8- Pontevedra- 5e (wonderful town so it's a good place to also plan an additional rest day)
Day 9- Caldas de Reis- 5e (the hot fountain is a must!) :)
Day 10- Teo-5e
Day 11- Santiago :)

On day 1, after walking out from Porto on the coastal route, I decided to stay in charming Vila Cha instead of complete the stage to Vila do Conde. So with the exception of the first day, along the way it was all either 5e or donation. In terms of the little pension in Vila Cha, it was 30e for a single and it was well worth it :)

I am updating my blog slowly, so you can also find more info there. Hope it helps.

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back