• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheapest travel to St. Jean Pied de Port and a few other questions... (vegetarian meals etc)

Sara Jean

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning on walking the Camino July (2015)
Hi Everyone!

My name is Sara and I'm a vegetarian from California and currently living in Hungary. I've just made the (somewhat) last minute decision to walk the Camino de Santiago St. Jean Pied de Port-Santiago de Compostela-Finisterre in late June-early August this year (45 Days - 2015 summer). I've been spending hours researching, and thought this might be a good place to get advice from people who have already experienced the Camino.

Question #1: Travel to St. Jean Pied de Port
I will be traveling in Italy with my mom and will end my trip in Trento before heading to the start of the Camino... I think it probably makes the most sense for me to fly out of Milan, Verona, or Venice? Money is going to be pretty limited but I have a lot of time, so I want to try to save as much on transportation as possible. I don't mind taking a bus, train, or plane, and don't mind having a few stops and long travel hours, if it is the cheapest way to travel.... I only want to make sure that, if I do need to transfer, I have sufficient time to figure out where to go for the next leg of the journey (and enough time to buy the ticket)... since I don't speak French, Spanish, or Italian, I expect it will take me a little longer to figure that stuff out.

Question #2: Cost of the Camino itself
Most things I have read so far indicate that I should budget 30-35 Euro/day, but I've found little explanation of exactly how this amount is formulated. I found a cost calculator online (http://caminoteca.com/en/camino-frances/cost-calculator), and it looked like it would be closer to $25/day, but I'm not sure if something is missing. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this experience, so I don't want to be too stingy with things... (if I meet people and they want to grab a beer or coffee, explore something that may cost money in a larger city, etc, I don't want to miss out on making some great memories based on budget, but I also don't want to go overboard and want to be as frugal as possible in every other aspect). I, in theory (assuming getting to St Jean is inexpensive), can afford the 30-35 Euro/day for 45 days, but my ending bank account balance will be very low, and I'm concerned about that...

Question #3: Vegetarian Meals
I am vegetarian, and concerned about veggie-friendly meals for pilgrim meals, and also veggie-friendly options in grocery stores and bars for lunch. Any words of advice, or information to ease my nervous mind?

Question #4: Backpack & Sleeping Bag
Since this is a last minute trip, I didn't bring a proper-sized backpack... I only have my 70L (Gregory Deva 70L - weighs 2.5 kg!), and my 28L daypack (Marmot Kompressor Summit - super light... weighs 740 grams)... the 28L doesn't have a rigid structure, and it's hip belt is a little flimsy. Since I'm low on funds, I'd prefer not to purchase a new backpack... do you think the 28L backpack will be large enough? Also, I'm toying with the idea of taking a thin silk sleeping bag liner instead of sleeping bag, but I'm super concerned about this option. I'm concerned because I like cuddling with a blanket when I sleep, but mainly concerned about being cold at night. I already have the liner, so this would not only cut down on weight and space, but also on cost.

Question #5: Mailing packages in Spain/Italy/France
Since I'm traveling with my mother in Italy before walking the camino, I will have extra stuff (cute shoes, dresses, more makeup etc). Is it relatively inexpensive to mail things in Europe? I can either mail the excess items to my cousin's house in Hungary, or to Santiago de Compestela. I read that Santiago will only hold things for you for 30 days. Is that true? I will likely need them held 45-50 days. What do you think is the best/cost effective solution?

Okay. Those are all of my questions! I know it's a lot... but please answer whatever you can, even if it's only one question. Thank you SO MUCH for your help!! :)

Sara

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sara,

Welcome to the Forum! What a wonderful summer you are planning!

1. For travel routes from Trento to SJPdP try using the Rome2Rio.com site. It should offer multiple ideas with further links.
2. I, too, always budget 35 euros per day for the camino, but never spend it all.
3, Here is an earlier Forum thread regarding Vegetarian on the camino.
4. For summer travel a lightweight sheet bag liner should be adequate. Your 28 l pack would be much more appropriate that the heavier one as long as the 28 is sturdy enough to do the task. (I have always used a 30/32 liter bag even in winter). In any bag do carry items within waterproof sacs such as large ziplock bags.
5. For sending luggage to Santiago and storing it there check out this link for the handy service run by Ivar Rekve, the Forum founder and administrator.

Happy planning and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

1) As mentioned check SkyScanner and http://google.com/flights for the cheapest airport(s) to fly from. I would also look at flights from Nice/Geneva as getting there via trains from Turino/Milano is trivial.

4) The 28L is a good size however you probably know super light backpacks are expected to be paired with equally light items. I would be slightly concerned if your not also packing ultra light with the comfort for the distances/time you will be walking. If objects are poking into your back that's going to make for a miserable walk.

It may be worth visiting a Decathlon store whilst in Italy they do a lot of inexpensive but decent backpacks at affordable prices.

5) If you need the things after the camino then sending to Santiago is probably a good idea. The postal service in Italy isn't inexpensive or prohibitively expensive but really depends on the weight of your package and speed of postage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re Question 1. There are too many variables. You'll need to figure out how to get from Trento to one of the places listed here.

Initial recce with RometoRio suggests there are direct flights from Verona to Barcelona ... and travel via Barcelona is the shortest route.

Factors:

a. Closest Airport to SJPdP is Biarritz.

b. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian, which is 3 km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing and rail service provided by SNCF and Renfe.

c. SJPdP has SNCF train/bus service to Bayonne.

d. SJPdP has seasonal CONDA (ALSA) bus service to Pamplona.

e. There is Transports64 Regional bus service from SJPdP to Pau. Pau has a regional airport.

f. Consider how you will get home from Santiago.

A. If I were traveling from Biarritz to SJPdP I would:

a. Take Chronoplus bus 14 from Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne.

b. Take SNCF TER 62 train/autocar service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

B. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Paris (or Bordeaux) I would:

a. Determine if it was cost effective and time effective to fly from Paris to Biarritz. Time effective means arriving in time to catch a train from Bayonne to SJPdP on the same day. (Allow 4 - 5 hours to transfer from CDG flight arrival to Orly flight departure)

b. If arriving at CDG and taking the train is the better option ... take the train from CDG 2 to Bayonne if the schedule is viable.

c. If CDG 2 schedule doesn't work ... Take RER B train to St Michel and transfer to the Metro. Take the line 4 Metro to Montparnasse. Then board the TGV train originating from Montparnasse to Bayonne. There is more frequent service from Montparnasse.

d. If arriving at Orly ... take the Orly Val train to station Antony and RER train to Massy. Take TGV from Massy to Bayonne.

C. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Madrid I would:

a. Take the Metro (from either T1T2T3 or from t4) or Renfe Cercanias (from T4) to Puerto Atocha and take a Renfe train to Pamplona.

b. Or ALSA provides bus service from Madrid T4 airport to Pamplona via Soria or Zaragosa. Bus service is slower than the train however it runs frequently, is cheaper, and requires no knowledge of Madrid transportation systems.

c. CONDA provides (seasonal) bus service to SJPdP - See ALSA schedule - from the Pamplona bus station.

d. I would consider a flight from Madrid to either Pamplona or San Sebastian.

D. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of London (Dublin would work too) I would:

a. Tranfer from arrival airport (Probably Heathrow or Gatwick) by National Express bus to either Stansted (Ryan air has flights to Biarritz all year) or Gatwick (Easy Jet has summer flights to Biarritz).

b. Fly from Stansted or Gatwick (or Dublin) to Biarritz France.

c. Take SNCF train and bus service to SJPdP.

E. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Barcelona I would:

a. Take Barcelona Cercanius to Barcelona Sants station.

b. Take either Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

c. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

d. I would consider a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian.

F. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Bilbao I would:

a. Take PESA bus from Bilbao (Loiu) airport to San Sebastian.

b. Take PESA or ALSA bus from San Sebastian to Bayonne. ALSA buses go to Gare Bayonne (TGV Bayonne)

c. Take SNCF train and bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

G. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Lisboa (or Porto) I would:

a. Take CP overnight train from Lisboa to Hendaye France.

b. Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

c. Take SNCF TER 62 service to SJPdP.

These are but a few of the options.

Regardless of whichever city you choose to arrive in ... it will take a full day of travel to get to SJPdP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is a last minute trip, I didn't bring a proper-sized backpack... I only have my 70L (Gregory Deva 70L - weighs 2.5 kg!), and my 28L daypack (Marmot Kompressor Summit - super light... weighs 740 grams)... the 28L doesn't have a rigid structure, and it's hip belt is a little flimsy. Since I'm low on funds, I'd prefer not to purchase a new backpack... do you think the 28L backpack will be large enough? Also, I'm toying with the idea of taking a thin silk sleeping bag liner instead of sleeping bag, but I'm super concerned about this option. I'm concerned because I like cuddling with a blanket when I sleep, but mainly concerned about being cold at night. I already have the liner, so this would not only cut down on weight and space, but also on cost.

28L is too small. A 50L pack weighs in at 1.5kg so your 70L is only a bit heavy.

You will want to have some warm bedding. You might save on weight but ... anyone can be uncomfortable on the camino.

Most things I have read so far indicate that I should budget 30-35 Euro/day, but I've found little explanation of exactly how this amount is formulated. I found a cost calculator online (http://caminoteca.com/en/camino-frances/cost-calculator), and it looked like it would be closer to $25/day, but I'm not sure if something is missing. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this experience, so I don't want to be too stingy with things... (if I meet people and they want to grab a beer or coffee, explore something that may cost money in a larger city, etc, I don't want to miss out on making some great memories based on budget, but I also don't want to go overboard and want to be as frugal as possible in every other aspect). I, in theory (assuming getting to St Jean is inexpensive), can afford the 30-35 Euro/day for 45 days, but my ending bank account balance will be very low, and I'm concerned about that...

Its 7 - 12 euro for a bunk

Its 10 euro for supper - menu peregrino

You'll need to buy materials for breakfast and lunch. That will usually cost 5 - 10 euros.

Sundries - doing laundry, buying blister pads, soap, and toothpaste, a luxury like your own room in a hotel for one night- rounds the averages up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A 70 liter backpack would be too big for walking the Camino during the summer. I say during the summer because you need less stuff. It's nice and warm during the day and only slightly chilly at night. No need for any heavy jackets, layers and such. I wore shorts everyday on both Caminos. I'd go with the 28 liter backpack and pack pragmatically. If it's nice and light, no real need for a rigid frame. I walked my first Camino with a pack with no rigid frame. You don't need a full size sleeping bag for a Camino between June and August. Bring the silk liner instead. Also a lot of the albergues have blankets. I didn't carry a sleeping bag on either my Caminos.

You could get by at 25 euros a day on the Camino. The municipal albergues cost anywhere from 5-8 euros a night. Some are donation only. Pay what you can. Also you can buy a lot of your food at grocery stores and market shops. This will save you money and you can choose more easily for your vegetarian diet. Lots of fruits and vegetables there. Most of the municipal albergues have kitchens where you can prepare your own meals when you want to.

cheers

Wow! Thank you for all of the information guys.

I'll definitely be planning out my travel down to St Jean using your post of suggestions @whariwharangi
And the rome2rio.com site looks like it will be helpful. @mspath

I also feel much better about shipping my excess luggage since Ivar will hold it for 60 days, and being vegetarian seems to be just about the same issue as with any other traveling situation, so not too difficult. :)

I'm still working out my baggage situation... I tried pre-packing my 28L bag last night, and it was a little more full than I would have liked for the comfort level of it... I went on the Decathlon website and noticed some pretty inexpensive 40L bags with frames. It also looked like they had a lot of inexpensive camping/hiking equipment and clothes... why don't we have these stores in the US?? I'm going to be like a kid in a candy store, so I need to try to remain budget-conscious. ;-)

If you are petite, the 28L bag might work. I never took a sleeping bag (always walked in July/August), but got cold enough to need blankets 2 or 3 times - and they were available. Buen camino!

ETA: I didn't take a sleeping bag, but did take a silk liner. It was usually more than enough.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
QUESTION---instead of hiking pants...would LULUlemon yoga wear work? thanks!

It also looked like they had a lot of inexpensive camping/hiking equipment and clothes
You get what you pay for! They are a bit like the sporting goods section of a Walmart, but they carry a few quality brands, so look for them.

QUESTION---instead of hiking pants...would LULUlemon yoga wear work? thanks!
Rural Spain is still very conservative, you might be embarrassed with the looks you get in leggings besides the fact that you would not have any pockets to carry things in:(.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You may find the vegetarian option quite difficult. Many Spanish restaurants don't consider Tuna, or chicken for that matter, as meat. Most soup will have a meat stock.

2. Just because you budget for 30 euros a day, doesn't mean you have to spend 30 euros a day! There may be days were you spend as little as 10 or 15. Budget for 30 or 35, but stay frugal. Do most of your own cooking. Also, you can try "albergue shopping" and stay in cheaper places. But even at 25 euros a day, you certainly won't be missing out one anything!

3. I ran into quite a few vegetarians on the Camino. You'll be far from the first one to ever walk! Most restaurants will have something you can eat. But a common complaint I heard is that the Spanish have a different definition of vegetarian. For example, if you order a vegetable soup, it might be made with beef or chicken broth. Also, to some people, "no meat" means "no beef or pork, but fish and chicken are okay." I saw several "vegetarian" salads with tuna in them! It's just something to be aware of.

4. I know others would disagree with me, but if those are your choices, I'd pick the 70 liter pack. With no structure to it, that 28 liter one is going to do nothing but sag and pull on your shoulders. Just restrain yourself when it comes to packing, don't over pack and you'll be fine.

When it comes to backpacks, you really are the extreme ends of the spectrum. But, I've always said I'd rather walk with a heavy load in a well-fitting pack than a light load in an ill-fitting pack.

Do any of your friends have packs that you could borrow? Something in the 30-45 liter range?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In the US we have REI, Dicks, Schells, Bass Pros, Cabellas, Sports Authority ad nauseum. Dicathalon is like a Walmart of sporting goods. Not a good choice for Camino equipment but if it's all there is use it. There are also online sporting good companies that ship all over. Just remember, you get what you pay for. My advice is don't skimp to save a dollar or 2.
Use this site for information. The advice given here comes from Camino veterans. I have walked 2 Caminos and I still seek advice and knowledge form this forum. Your pack is too small you need a 40 ltr pack minimum. A sleeping bag liner should work great during the time frame you are walking. Budget, some people manage on 25€ a day but most will spend more than that. Plan for less but allow for more. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

You may find the vegetarian option quite difficult. Many Spanish restaurants don't consider Tuna, or chicken for that matter, as meat. Most soup will have a meat stock.
Some Spaniards don't even consider pork meat. Tell many Spaniards you don't eat meat and they'll think, oh they don't like beef!

If your goal is to just avoid eating meat (obviously including chicken and pork as meat), you'll be fine. It won't even be difficult. But you are most likely going to be unwittingly eating things made with meat products/stocks, and if that bothers you, you are going to have to ask a lot more questions, and probably have to work harder to find your food. It can still be done. I knew several devout vegetarians that did the Camino with no real "trouble", but it was more difficult than some of these threads make it sound. Vegetarianish on Camino is relatively easy. True vegetarian will take more work.

You could always take my motto that bacon is a vegetable and then it'd get easier! (sarcasm/joke, I promise).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Everyone!

My name is Sara and I'm a vegetarian from California and currently living in Hungary. I've just made the (somewhat) last minute decision to walk the Camino de Santiago St. Jean Pied de Port-Santiago de Compostela-Finisterre in late June-early August this year (45 Days - 2015 summer). I've been spending hours researching, and thought this might be a good place to get advice from people who have already experienced the Camino.

Question #1: Travel to St. Jean Pied de Port
I will be traveling in Italy with my mom and will end my trip in Trento before heading to the start of the Camino... I think it probably makes the most sense for me to fly out of Milan, Verona, or Venice? Money is going to be pretty limited but I have a lot of time, so I want to try to save as much on transportation as possible. I don't mind taking a bus, train, or plane, and don't mind having a few stops and long travel hours, if it is the cheapest way to travel.... I only want to make sure that, if I do need to transfer, I have sufficient time to figure out where to go for the next leg of the journey (and enough time to buy the ticket)... since I don't speak French, Spanish, or Italian, I expect it will take me a little longer to figure that stuff out.

Question #3: Vegetarian Meals
I am vegetarian, and concerned about veggie-friendly meals for pilgrim meals, and also veggie-friendly options in grocery stores and bars for lunch. Any words of advice, or information to ease my nervous mind?

Question #5: Mailing packages in Spain/Italy/France
Since I'm traveling with my mother in Italy before walking the camino, I will have extra stuff (cute shoes, dresses, more makeup etc). Is it relatively inexpensive to mail things in Europe? I can either mail the excess items to my cousin's house in Hungary, or to Santiago de Compestela. I read that Santiago will only hold things for you for 30 days. Is that true? I will likely need them held 45-50 days. What do you think is the best/cost effective solution?

Okay. Those are all of my questions! I know it's a lot... but please answer whatever you can, even if it's only one question. Thank you SO MUCH for your help!! :)

Hi Sara

There are quite a few vegetarian Albergues with shared meals. Some of them are too close together so it's not possible to go to all of them. I can recommend San Anton de Padua in Villar Mazarife, Albergue Verde in Hospital D'Orbigo, and Las Laguedas in Murias de Rechivaldo (3 nights in a row after Leon). Also Casa Magica in Villatuerta (much earlier on), Serbal y Luna in Pieoros and Paloma y Lena in San Mahmed. You can also have a great lentil soup and a vegetarian plate of cheese, hummus and broccoli at Cafe El Camino in El Burgo Ranero. There are two good vegetarian restaurants in cities, Sarasate in Pamplona on the first floor above flats not easy to find but well worth is, lunchtime may be the best time, and in Leon L'Union, a bit out of the centre well worth finding though, again we went at lunchtime. Many other Albergues and cafe bars will offer a veggie option and if you ask you may get something not listed on the menu. sometimes you can have two first plates. Ensalada Mixta usually comes with tuna so you need to ask if you don't want tuna in it. A lot of pilgrim menus do pasta with tomato sauce. Tortilla is often on offer or sometimes egg and chips. I ate a lot of cheese bocadillos at lunchtime. I never cooked at all while I was on the camino as it was not necessary, although it would have been possible at times.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back