• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheapest way to walk the last stage

Zachary O'Neill

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Stage of the Camino Frances (2018)
Right so my dad is set on walking the Camino, and I suggested the best thing to do was walk the last stage of the Camino Frances. I have found even this to be rather expensive as I'm not too sure on booking independently from the tour operators. I would book independently but I don't know how to book hostels along the way or guarantee a room for the night.

Any help would be appreciated on the booking process thanks , Zachary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Right so my dad is set on walking the Camino, and I suggested the best thing to do was walk the last stage of the Camino Frances. I have found even this to be rather expensive as I'm not too sure on booking independently from the tour operators. I would book independently but I don't know how to book hostels along the way or guarantee a room for the night.

Hi and welcome,

By " last stage " : Do you mean from Sarria on? If so , very doable to arrange your public trasport from any major Spanish airport.
If you give us an idea about your maximum daily possible kilometres then we could give your some more detailed information.
Of course planning your daily stages beforehand means you have to stick to that daily itinary. But on the other hand if it gives you comfort then by all means book. Booking.com and mailing the pensiones and hotels are possibilities.

Happy prepping.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This on line guide in Spanish by Gronze. com lists the majority of accommodation by location west from Sarria.
http://www.gronze.com/etapa/sarria/portomarin

Pilgrim albergues are cited in brown ink and regular tourist places in black. Links to Booking.com are also provided.

Happy planning, Happy New Year and Buen camino!

Yes, please define last stage as for most people last stage means 1 day of walking into Santiago. Also, on which route? Frances, Ingles, Ourense?

There is no need to give any money to tour operators. Buy a guide book like Brierley's, and call the albergues the afternoon before to get a bed for the next day. Other than the municipal/Xunta, and paroquial albergues most allow you to book ahead. This being said, they like you to arrive by 4 pm or they will give your bed away. If you think you will arrive after 4 pm, give them a call with an ETA.

You don't mention when you intend to walk. Besides the "high season" (roughly, May-August) you can reserve the same day, by phone.
There is a good albergue guide in this same forum; go to main page and look at "resources".
You don't really need tour operators; they are awfully expensive. You can choose public albergues (very unexpensive), private ones (10-12 euros) or, if you like, hostals.
Some albergues offer private rooms, too.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

As others have said, the word "stage" more typically means a 1-day distance, which is why people are asking if you really mean the section from Sarria to Santiago (more like 5 or 6 days or stages). That is a very common choice because it is the minimum distance to qualify for a compostela from the cathedral in Santiago.

The title of your thread asked for the cheapest way. That would be to stay in the Xunta albergues (run by the government of Galicia), which cost only about 6 Euros per night, but they cannot be reserved in advance. There are many albergues for 10-12 Euros, some of which can be reserved. Many of them can be found on hotel booking websites such as booking.com or hotels.com.

Does you father really want everything booked in advance? Most people walk with no reservations. There is no need to book well in advance unless (maybe) he is walking in May-October AND really wants the security of knowing he has a reservation. If he has a smart phone, it is very easy to make a decision and a booking a day in advance. Certainly a tour operator is not needed.

I'm assuming you mean Sarria to Santiago when you refer to the last stage.
No...no...no, to tour operators. No way, no how would you need one.
If concerned about places to stay, just plan the route to the day, and pre-book at private albergues. Even a private albergue is way cheaper than a hotel or pensiones, and not that much more expensive than a municipal albergue.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Good on you Zachary for finding this website and for helping your Dad. You've done the right thing because there are many very knowledgable members able to point you in the right direction. I'd like to wish your Dad a buen camino and you too if you are walking with him.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back