• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Check out this poncho/tent

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks a sweet product. Poncho needs a draw cord for the waist and would be better if made out of Cuben fibre, silnylon gets baggy when wet. Bath tub needs to have higher walls and made from Cuben, the bug net needs to be made out of Noseum I would buy then.

@Anniesantiago slightly off topic, but when you use your tent, do you also use a sleeping pad? It was one of my problems using a tent on the Norte; lightweight and comfort seemed incompatible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow, that's interesting. I'd have to trade my quilt for a sleeping bag, for underneath warmth. Not sure I'd want to do that.

On balance I'd rather sleep in a bunk inside the albergue, and all that goes with it, rather than in a tent, and all that goes with that. I think. Might change my mind next Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How does he stay dry whilst erecting the tent?

Yes, @jozero that is like the one my husband used, borrowed from a friend. I found it much more comfortable than the Exped mat I took.

All this hiking gear is so expensive. It is hard to justify unless one is sure it's the right choice. @Anniesantiago started a facebook page for selling used gear; what we need is a lending library - so we can try things out. With a couple of pick-up and drop-off boxes along the Camino.

Yes, @jozero that is like the one my husband used, borrowed from a friend. I found it much more comfortable than the Exped mat I took.

All this hiking gear is so expensive. It is hard to justify unless one is sure it's the right choice. @Anniesantiago started a facebook page for selling used gear; what we need is a lending library - so we can try things out. With a couple of pick-up and drop-off boxes along the Camino.
My name is Jordon and I'm a gear/tech addict... :confused: If I could just manage to sell the old gear I'm sure I could almost fund another whole Camino! I agree entirely and even after watching numerous online reviews often find the 'perfect' solution just wasn't perfect at all. But ever the optimist, I keep reviewing and trying.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jorden, I just checked out the local (Australian) price for the Xtherm, and it is over $430 - for which I can get 8 nights in a hotel in Spain. Sigh. We pay a high premium for consumer goods.

Just to note that the sea to summit poncho that several of us have also can be a tent if you want to bring stakes and tie down cords. No front zipper, though, but it only weighs 8.15 oz/230 gm.

That should surely be available in Australia without a premium, Kanga.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gee, that's much better than here @Kiwi-family. Still, I'm not buying. No plans to camp. For now. And no, @pudgypilgrim I had the Sea to Summit poncho and it did not impress me at all as a rain garment - far too voluminous and would blow all over the place, with water seeping up the arms. I think the model @Anniesantiago has posted may have similar problems to the Sea to Summit.

Yes, arms do get wet with the StS, no question, but I think that would be true for any tarp/tent poncho.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But the altus isn't a tarp tent, is it Annie? I was referring to the ponchos that can be used as tents.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.