• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Checking a backpack as luggage - found a great solution

russellg99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (starting May 20, 2013)
My pack is too large to carry on the plane, so I'll most likely be forced to check it. I was struggling with various ways to protect it, while also not spending a lot since whatever I pack it with will be tossed as soon as we arrive in Paris. I thought about cheap duffel bags with cardboard and bubble wrap, but if for some reason the pack's frame got bent, it'd be pretty disastrous. Then I hit on a much better idea. What I needed was a cheap, hard-shell suitcase to put the whole pack in.

I called up a local luggage store, and they had lots of used suitcases that they'd acquired from customers for whatever reason. So I got a nice old, bashed up hard-shell suitcase with a broken handle, for the grand sum of $25. It'll get my pack there ok, and then I'll be much less concerned about how to get it back home later, since it won't be as disastrous if it's damaged on the return trip.

Problem solved!

Russell

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been known to put mine in a black rubbish sack and add lots of tape!

Or simply wrap it up with a lot of cling film and tape, much cheaper ;-) SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We take ours in "Blue" Ikea Bags, secure handles with cable ties, not a lot of protection, but keeps straps & poles out of harms way. Worked for us fine, twice.

Cling plastic (the kind used for cargo) and tape, IKEA bags!! You guys are really clever. I also love the idea of re-using old suitcases! Just chuck it when you arrive?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
FooteK said:
I also love the idea of re-using old suitcases! Just chuck it when you arrive?

Just make sure to not chuck the old suitcase 'unattended' in the airport area. This might be taken as a potential bomb scare and close down the airport for a while :roll:

annelise

SYates said:
Or simply wrap it up with a lot of cling film and tape, much cheaper ;-) SY
At Barajas (Madrid) airport, you can have your luggage wrapped in clingfilm for, I think, 2 euros.......

Yes, they cling wrap at Santiago airport also. I wish they would do it in the USA.

In the us, you can find cheap luggage at Goodwill. I actually did this on my way home last year to save carrying my backpack on, but I'd be afraid to check my bag on the way TO the Camino. Too risky for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anniesantiago said:
...Snip......but I'd be afraid to check my bag on the way TO the Camino. Too risky for me.

I talked with a Pilgrim from Seattle a month ago who checked his pack, including shoes.
The bag did not arrive. He waited an extra day or so and then went on without it with the promise that it would be delivered. He got it delivered a week later down the trail.

As you can imagine, he walked in the shoes and clothes he wore on the airplane.
He had to contact the airline everyday to keep them informed of where to send it when it was located. He is a native Spanish speaker from South America so was able to handle the communication. I could not!

I would never check my pack.

Anniesantiago said:
I would never check my pack.
It's good advice, to wear something you can walk in for a few days. It definitely makes me think about which shoes I'll wear on the plane.

As for checking the bag, I'm afraid I'll have no choice. My wife's bag will meet the carry-on requirements, but mine isn't even close. Fingers crossed.

Russell

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Russell, if your bag is too large to carry on, you might consider leaving some it home or just checking inessentials in a separate bag and carrying on your pack.

What are you taking that is so large???

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Russell

What a great idea, I have been thinking through this same problem of protecting my backpack also. Unfortunately last garbage day I threw out 2 large old suitcases but I have lots of time before I go next May'14 to pick up one.

Thanks again, have a great Camino.

Frances

Anniesantiago said:
What are you taking that is so large???
Hi Annie,

Well, the pack isn't all that big, it's just that the airlines (American and EasyJet) both have a maximum length of 22" (56 cm) for carry-on, and that's about 4" shorter than my pack (I'm 6' 1" so I have the "large" size frame). I could try to get away with it, but the problem would be if American lets me on with it in the USA, but EasyJet doesn't in Paris -- then I won't have anything to pack it in at the Paris airport. At least this way I know it's safe in a hard-shell suitcase, and is less likely to be damaged.

On the way back, I'll probably have it wrapped in plastic at the Madrid airport, as someone else suggested, or maybe even try to sneak it on since it's one non-stop flight back to the USA.

Of course, anything can happen, but it's been my experience that when bags are lost it's often because the wrong destination tag was put on them by the check-in agent. I always double-check the tags after they put them on now, even if it does tend to annoy them sometimes because they think I don't trust them. (I can live with that :) )

Russell

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back