• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

checking backpacks on international flights

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the way to Spain, I popped by backpack into a very cheap plastic zippered bag, which I threw away on arrival.

To get it home I put on the rain cover, tucked in the straps as much as possible, and tightly fastened two lightweight straps around it. The bag arrived back home with no damage at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hobokenpilgrim said:
How do you make your backback secure (no loose straps) when you are about to check your luggage for your flight?

Last time I flew from Sydney airport there was an option to shrink wrap your bags - I think there was a small fee for that but plenty of people seemed to want to avoid a Shapelle Corby situation!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I did the CF, I planned to spend a few days in Madrid post-Camino, so I stuffed both my pack and an extra set of clothes into a duffle bag. When I arrived at Lavacolla, I just took out my loaded pack. The duffle with my extra clothes I forwarded to the hotel, which was kind enough to keep it for me until they saw me six days later, trailing Camino dust into their clean lobby :)

Not bad for a cheap bazaar purchase (for marktqm, read: "tiangge")...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i took mine on as a carry on, and no one seemed to be concerned about straps hanging out. may be a different story if you are checking it. so much easier taking it with you, no chance of lost luggage.
my flight arrived in vancouver at 2pm and i was on a city bus at 2:25pm. now how is that for timing. no one going thru immigration,
dawn

good discussion here on back pack covers for larger back packs checked into Baggage hold.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took a 70L Osprey pack and had to check it. Let me say that it was way to big but I thought I knew it all back then and learned the hard way. Back to question - I bought an airport stroller bag on Amazon for about $13.00 and it worked great.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
may I suggest that if your bag is too heavy to go as hand baggage, you are carrying too much.

No, no, it is just that we carry ‘dangerous goods’! My pack is usually under 5 kg but I still check it in (knife, poles, potions.... you name it!) ;)

I don't even tie off the straps now. I turn up with my poles on the outside of the bag and ask the clerk if they want the poles on or separated from the bag. Either way they have all come out fine. I don't like doing hand luggage only, I like to keep my big suncream, nail scissors and whatnots.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.