• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Checking Backpacks or Taking as Carry-ons

templarsoul

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP to Fisterra) (June/July 2015)
Our family is leaving for our first Camino in just over a week. In the nearly three years of planning, I've read so many horror stories about checking packs, but only the actual frames of our 48 L packs fit the carry-on dimensions. I've really pared our stuff back and we're all toting about 6-7kg, not too much. One forum member said his pack was 58L and he had no problems doing carry-on. I wish I remembered who this was so I could ask HOW??? Would appreciate any advice and, as it looks like we must check our packs, please offer any advice on that as well! Many thanks in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It just depends on the airlines.
Check the website of your airlines and see what size they allow.
Then consider using a service that wraps your pack tightly in saran.
My pack is quite a bit smaller than yours, so I'm not sure how small yours can be made.

The other option is to pack all non-essential items - things you could easily replace - in a checked bag.
Then try to squeeze your pack down smaller using saran?

I am impressed you have worked this hard to figure it out. Especially with a 48l as that is what I carried & checked. How many people are you going with? In any case good for you!
Keith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One forum member said his pack was 58L and he had no problems doing carry-on.

Remember this is an international forum. Some people are taking transatlantic flights with a set of rules. Others of us are taking EU flights with different rules. Then every airline is different. Then you have the gate attendant letting you by in spite of being oversized.

Check what YOUR airline/ticket allows.

NicoZ is right; i.e. I'm flying British Airways from Canada. They have a clear and concise list of what is and is not allowed in the cabin. Definitely NOT walking poles; that is why I am purchasing mine in St. Jean.

Our family is leaving for our first Camino in just over a week. In the nearly three years of planning, I've read so many horror stories about checking packs, but only the actual frames of our 48 L packs fit the carry-on dimensions. I've really pared our stuff back and we're all toting about 6-7kg, not too much. One forum member said his pack was 58L and he had no problems doing carry-on. I wish I remembered who this was so I could ask HOW??? Would appreciate any advice and, as it looks like we must check our packs, please offer any advice on that as well! Many thanks in advance!
I flew international and my pack and poles wouldn't meet regulations. I bought a very thin lightweight nylon carry on bag with good capacity (so cheap it could be discarded, carried, or forwarded to a Santiago). I carried on my essential items (change of hiking clothes, guides, etc) and wore my boots (can't replace them). I figured that if for some reason my bag was lost I at least had the basics to start my Camino and could pick up the rest at a sporting goods store. Thank goodness my pack has made it all four times even the last time where I had a transfer in Germany.
I have lost bags on other trips when flying international. This generally occurred when I had a connection in a foreign company AND had to change airline companies. Both times this happened, I received my luggage within two days. If you need to check your pack, then make sure it is well labeled inside and out with your name and contact info (e-mail and phone number). I also include my flt. number, airline and destination. I print it out from my computer and put it inside the bag and then include it on an outside pocket and attached tag. Have an identifying item on it as well colored ribbon, unusual luggage tag, etc.). The first thing the airline will ask if your bag is lost is to provide a description. Maybe too much info...but hope it helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I flew Ryanair last Saturday to today. Carried on board a 33l pack. I did not bring walking poles instead choosing to buy them there because per Ryanair hiking poles are not allowed on board. I seen two ppl with hiking poles on board. It's a gamble in any case so just try follow your airlines guidelines.
Buen Camino
Rita

I flew Ryanair last Saturday to today. Carried on board a 33l pack. I did not bring walking poles instead choosing to buy them there because per Ryanair hiking poles are not allowed on board. I seen two ppl with hiking poles on board. It's a gamble in any case so just try follow your airlines guidelines.
Buen Camino
Rita
Hi Rita, did you question a Ryanair agent or employee about it? I would have been curious to hear their explanation. Maggie

Hi Rita, did you question a Ryanair agent or employee about it? I would have been curious to hear their explanation. Maggie

Hi Maggie,
I didn't because I didn't want to be the cause if their hiking poles been confiscated. They had them attached to the side of their packs. I was watching them go through waiting for them to be stopped but they were left through. I flew Dublin Biarritz.
Rita

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Maggie,
I didn't because I didn't want to be the cause if their hiking poles been confiscated. They had them attached to the side of their packs. I was watching them go through waiting for them to be stopped but they were left through. I flew Dublin Biarritz.
Rita
No, I was meaning to ask someone after the fact. Like you, I would also not want to be the cause of them being confiscated.

No, I was meaning to ask someone after the fact. Like you, I would also not want to be the cause of them being confiscated.
Oh sorry my misunderstanding. I never thought to ask, I was so excited about getting to Saint Jean d P, that I only recalled the event when I seen this post. :)Rita

My bag advertises as a 57L (stuffing all exterior pockets) altho the main compartment is only 36L. It weighed slightly less than 20 lbs and I had no trouble taking it onboard as carry on although it WAS checked by the airlines to make sure it fit into the little size frame thingy they use to check carry on luggage size. My pack is an ultra light gossamer gear mariposa and it is actually quite soft and squishy so can mold pretty easily into the frame ... but it is a really good tough pack and I totally loved it ... poles went into the hold with our checked bag ... a sturdy but inexpensive tote bag which we used primarily for our poles and extra clothes which we needed during the touristy part of our vacation ... once we started walking we sent it forward to Santiago for safe keeping with Ivar.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My bag advertises as a 57L (stuffing all exterior pockets) altho the main compartment is only 36L. It weighed slightly less than 20 lbs and I had no trouble taking it onboard as carry on although it WAS checked by the airlines to make sure it fit into the little size frame thingy they use to check carry on luggage size. My pack is an ultra light gossamer gear mariposa and it is actually quite soft and squishy so can mold pretty easily into the frame ... but it is a really good tough pack and I totally loved it ... poles went into the hold with our checked bag ... a sturdy but inexpensive tote bag which we used primarily for our poles and extra clothes which we needed during the touristy part of our vacation ... once we started walking we sent it forward to Santiago for safe keeping with Ivar.
Was it Canada Airlines? Just curious; there's a bit of a buzz in Canada about Air Canada grabbing for every dollar, thus the strict checking now. They just recently started using that measuring 'thingy' much more than they used to. Can't say that it's a bad thing. It's about safety I'm sure.

I flew with Ryanair Dublin to Biarritz 19th May and back from Bilbao 26th May. There was a group of 4 of us and we chose to check on 1 rucksack to put poles in but we saw lots of people (12 -15) in each airport with poles attached to the outside of their rucksacks as carry on luggage and they seemed to have no problems. Flew back with Aer Lingus. Next time we'll just carry on all our rucksacks.

I flew with Ryanair Dublin to Biarritz 19th May and back from Bilbao 26th May. There was a group of 4 of us and we chose to check on 1 rucksack to put poles in but we saw lots of people (12 -15) in each airport with poles attached to the outside of their rucksacks as carry on luggage and they seemed to have no problems. Flew back with Aer Lingus. Next time we'll just carry on all our rucksacks.
It does appear to be much easier to do this in Europe than North America…..be in U.S. or Canada.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I carried-on my REI 48L all the way to Madrid last summer (American Airlines and Iberia). I did not have it packed to capacity. I had no problems putting it in the overhead bin. I carried no liquids in it. Just a small tube of toothpaste and a small bottle of sunscreen. Also I had no sleeping bag, which takes up a lot of room, no sleeping pad and no hiking poles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carried-on my REI 48L all the way to Madrid last summer (American Airlines and Iberia). I did not have it packed to capacity. I had no problems putting it in the overhead bin. I carried no liquids in it. Just a small tube of toothpaste and a small bottle of sunscreen. Also I had no sleeping bag, which takes up a lot of room, no sleeping pad and no hiking poles.
Mine is a 36L Osprey. I don't have a sleeping bag, but I do have a thin quilted liner. I don't think it will be a problem getting the backpack in the overhead cabin bin, but sometimes an awkward size will not make the pass at that frame 'thingy' at the airport. I plan on 15 lbs tops for the backpack, so will do the best I can. I also thought of placing the pack in as lightweight a duffle as I could find, then pass it on somehow. I'll see how it goes. Maggie

I carried my Osprey 48L backpack on American Airlines to Miami & on to Madrid last year. I had to put my sleeping bag in the main compartment of my backpack in order to meet the carry-on size limit. In addition to your carry-on, you are allowed to carry on a small personal bag. Upon arrival in Madrid I was able to transfer the sleeping bag to the small pocket at the base of the backpack and then put the items I had in a small personal bag into the backpack. I bought trekking poles in Spain. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm planning on taking my pack on board with me, but I think I will be putting my utility knife and a larger container of sunscreen (I'm a sucker for the spray-on sunscreen) in a cardboard box that I check in. Does that sound like a decent plan? How big do you think the box should be?

Was it Canada Airlines? Just curious; there's a bit of a buzz in Canada about Air Canada grabbing for every dollar, thus the strict checking now. They just recently started using that measuring 'thingy' much more than they used to. Can't say that it's a bad thing. It's about safety I'm sure.

We flew Air Transat on our outbound leg and a Lufthansa partner Swiss Air on our return flight. Yeah Air Canada is supposedly cracking down on carry on luggage making sure it fits in the overhead bins ... pretty much the same as I encountered on our flights as well ... they seem to be checking anything that looks oversized ... but if it fits in the frame thingy it's good to go ... and I doubt it's about safety ... it's more about weight and the price of fuel ... $$$$ is the bottom line ... altho I think the size restriction is pretty generous actually ... bags carried on do have to fit in the overhead bins ... some people think their mega luggage would all fit ... so the frame thingy is the great equalizer. I don't mind playing by that rule ...

I'm planning on taking my pack on board with me, but I think I will be putting my utility knife and a larger container of sunscreen (I'm a sucker for the spray-on sunscreen) in a cardboard box that I check in. Does that sound like a decent plan? How big do you think the box should be?
Hey Sneaky, Your plan should be ok. I believe the BIG reason that people like to carry their pack on board with them is it would potentially delay them if their pack was delayed and did not make it on the same plane or even worse was lost. Putting your handy knife and sun screen in a box , if lost would not be the end of the world. Losing your pack with everything that you took months to get etc would be....
Not sure about the size of the box though. I would tend to think that a small box "might" be lost easier than a larger size box as it wrangles it's way thru the airlines luggage system. How about using an old suit case from one of the local thrift stores near you and put a your Lotion and knife in that as checked baggage? Toss the suit case away once you get to your travels end.....Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How about using an old suit case from one of the local thrift stores near you and put a your Lotion and knife in that as checked baggage? Toss the suit case away once you get to your travels end.....

Great idea! I think I have some old teacher tote bags that zip that might work.

Thanks!

Mine is a 36L Osprey. I don't have a sleeping bag, but I do have a thin quilted liner. I don't think it will be a problem getting the backpack in the overhead cabin bin, but sometimes an awkward size will not make the pass at that frame 'thingy' at the airport. I plan on 15 lbs tops for the backpack, so will do the best I can. I also thought of placing the pack in as lightweight a duffle as I could find, then pass it on somehow. I'll see how it goes. Maggie
I would think a 36L pack not loaded to the gills should be small enough to be a carry-on.

We flew Air Transat on our outbound leg and a Lufthansa partner Swiss Air on our return flight. Yeah Air Canada is supposedly cracking down on carry on luggage making sure it fits in the overhead bins ... pretty much the same as I encountered on our flights as well ... they seem to be checking anything that looks oversized ... but if it fits in the frame thingy it's good to go ... and I doubt it's about safety ... it's more about weight and the price of fuel ... $$$$ is the bottom line ... altho I think the size restriction is pretty generous actually ... bags carried on do have to fit in the overhead bins ... some people think their mega luggage would all fit ... so the frame thingy is the great equalizer. I don't mind playing by that rule ...
As with Air Canada, the guide line for walking pole is they are considered as walking aid, so you are allowed to carry them on board, part of their accessibility and mobility policy.

Each airline has their own set of rules, best is check them on line before you go. Know the fact if you are questioned by agent about the poles. Pack them nicely, don't let the pointy end shown. Wrap them with a tee shirt to make them friendly looking.

I have flew Air Canada for all my over sea Camino trips and there was never a problem (that including switching from Air Canada to other regional carriers). However, my walk poles were confiscated at Venice international airport at Italy. A security guard said they dangerous items. My Italian wasn't good enough to argue with her. It wasn't a great lost as I never buy expansive walk poles, they were just $20 Canadian dollars.

Always do carry on and pack light. If you don't have it, one can always buy it at Spain. Buen Camino.

As with Air Canada, the guide line for walking pole is they are considered as walking aid, so you are allowed to carry them on board, part of their accessibility and mobility policy.

Each airline has their own set of rules, best is check them on line before you go. Know the fact if you are questioned by agent about the poles. Pack them nicely, don't let the pointy end shown. Wrap them with a tee shirt to make them friendly looking.

I have flew Air Canada for all my over sea Camino trips and there was never a problem (that including switching from Air Canada to other regional carriers). However, my walk poles were confiscated at Venice international airport at Italy. A security guard said they dangerous items. My Italian wasn't good enough to argue with her. It wasn't a great lost as I never buy expansive walk poles, they were just $20 Canadian dollars.

Always do carry on and pack light. If you don't have it, one can always buy it at Spain. Buen Camino.
Where did you find walking poles for $20???? My Scottish blood is curious.

Where did you find walking poles for $20???? My Scottish blood is curious.
They are from an unlikely store. Princess Auto at Sooke area, which is a big hardware have walking poles on sale for $20 periodically. Check their flyers. They are good quality with anti shock handles. Of course they are not as light or fancy as the pricey ones, but they perform well at all my Camino trips. I put some reflective tape on the poles and they are good to go.

They are from an unlikely store. Princess Auto at Sooke area, which is a big hardware have walking poles on sale for $20 periodically. Check their flyers. They are good quality with anti shock handles. Of course they are not as light or fancy as the pricey ones, but they perform well at all my Camino trips. I put some reflective tape on the poles and they are good to go.
Thanks Dennis, I was actually headed to the Sooke area for a local garden tour. I live in Victoria.
I'll definitely check it out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you are travelling south of the border you can order carbon fibre poles, with shocks for pickup at an American Walmart store of under $60. (US$)
I bought some this was and was very satisfied.

I'm a very trusting person, and I've never had any bad experiences with lost luggage, so right now (this may change after the response this gets) I'm planning on checking my backpack, with my hiking poles and the things that wouldn't pass security, like contact lens solution and nail clippers and maybe even a knife for picnics. I'm thinking that I'll carry all my absolutely essential things in a nylon carry-on bag, as well my waist pack, so if worse came to worse and my pack was lost, I wouldn't be in terrible shape. I have travel insurance, which should cover lost luggage in a worse case scenario. And also, and this is important to note, I'm not on a tight schedule, if I had to wait a day or two in Paris, God forbid. :) I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has actually had a backpack lost, or has known anyone who has had that happen. That might change my plan. :)

If you are travelling south of the border you can order carbon fibre poles, with shocks for pickup at an American Walmart store of under $60. (US$)
I'm a very trusting person, and I've never had any bad experiences with lost luggage, so right now (this may change after the response this gets) I'm planning on checking my backpack, with my hiking poles and the things that wouldn't pass security, like contact lens solution and nail clippers and maybe even a knife for picnics. I'm thinking that I'll carry all my absolutely essential things in a nylon carry-on bag, as well my waist pack, so if worse came to worse and my pack was lost, I wouldn't be in terrible shape. I have travel insurance, which should cover lost luggage in a worse case scenario. And also, and this is important to note, I'm not on a tight schedule, if I had to wait a day or two in Paris, God forbid. :) I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has actually had a backpack lost, or has known anyone who has had that happen. That might change my plan. :)
It's been mentioned a couple of times, but it really does depend on the Airline. For example, on my British Airways flight I can take scissors in my carry-on bag, but they need to be 6" or smaller, likewise for a knife, 6" or smaller. These are for first aid purposes. But they are adamant about no poles, thus mine will be purchased in St. Jean. I've had my checked luggage lost or delayed a time too many to chance it for this trip. I do wish you luck. I'm sure it will all work out for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am impressed you have worked this hard to figure it out. Especially with a 48l as that is what I carried & checked. How many people are you going with? In any case good for you!
Keith
Thanks,
Remember this is an international forum. Some people are taking transatlantic flights with a set of rules. Others of us are taking EU flights with different rules. Then every airline is different. Then you have the gate attendant letting you by in spite of being oversized.

Check what YOUR airline/ticket allows.
Thanks, and while you may be right. RyanAir, Iberia and American Air ALL have the exact same carryon size.

I flew international and my pack and poles wouldn't meet regulations. I bought a very thin lightweight nylon carry on bag with good capacity (so cheap it could be discarded, carried, or forwarded to a Santiago). I carried on my essential items (change of hiking clothes, guides, etc) and wore my boots (can't replace them). I figured that if for some reason my bag was lost I at least had the basics to start my Camino and could pick up the rest at a sporting goods store. Thank goodness my pack has made it all four times even the last time where I had a transfer in Germany.
I have lost bags on other trips when flying international. This generally occurred when I had a connection in a foreign company AND had to change airline companies. Both times this happened, I received my luggage within two days. If you need to check your pack, then make sure it is well labeled inside and out with your name and contact info (e-mail and phone number). I also include my flt. number, airline and destination. I print it out from my computer and put it inside the bag and then include it on an outside pocket and attached tag. Have an identifying item on it as well colored ribbon, unusual luggage tag, etc.). The first thing the airline will ask if your bag is lost is to provide a description. Maybe too much info...but hope it helps.
Great info and I'd never thought of including flight details on check baggage (excellent tip!) Thanks!

Thanks all for the great advice. I think all of us, four going, should carry our boots in the "under the seat" bag so our packs can compress small enough to qualify as carryon. I plan on buying a corkscrew "para las botellas de vino tinto!" and avoiding the hassle of a utility knife. That, and I've found toeclippers work in a pinch and my plastic spork has a serrated edge good enough for food.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a pair of Swiss Gear poles I bought at Walmart about 10 years ago. I was there yesterday and saw that they have a single hiking staff for about $12 US and a pair of poles with shock absorption technology for $19 US. No selection... Take it or leave it. My poles had tiny compasses on the top of each handle and they have long since fallen off; but, I didn't use them to begin with. They are good enough for me and good training poles to see if you want to spend $$$ on a more expensive pair. These have served me well and if I loose them, no big loss. I've gotten my money's worth.

Templarsoul, I flew Delta from ATL to MAD. I carried on a 50l pack that was about 2/3 full. I wore my boots, carried on my walking poles (Z-fold style with rubber tips) and checked a cardboard box with my Leatherman and a couple other things. Coming home I still carried on my backpack but checked the poles along with the knife. My backpack fit into the overhead bin better than a lot of other people's roll-aboards. 45l or less should be no problem unless you have it packed to the brim.

Buen Camino
Rita
Slightly different on return journey I know but I'm flying home with Ryanair on Tuesday and haven't checked my rucksack into the hold but if it's too big for hand luggage then I'll just transfer 'must-takes' to my 20l pal-a-sak and jettison everything else. It is irritating though 'cos I've flown with many different airlines over the years and have seen many an item taken as hand luggage when it clearly exceeds the dimensions given by said airline; not just a case of moving the goalposts - more so a case of picking them up and running off the bleedin' pitch with them but hey ho... I've come to the conclusion that it just depends on the day itself, the number of passengers and the check-in staff.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm flying from St. Louis to Chicago, and then from Chicago to Paris (Sept. 3). I only have one hour between flights in Chicago. Is that going to be enough time to get through Customs?

You mean St Louis MO, right? Unless I am missing something, you are going through customs once in Paris.

The danger with short connections however is that checked luggage won't make the transfer. It'll eventually catch up with you, but may take quite some time.

I assume you'll be leaving STL with your boarding pass for the ORD CDG leg. Might be wise to have your backpack as carry on.

It's been mentioned a couple of times, but it really does depend on the Airline. For example, on my British Airways flight I can take scissors in my carry-on bag, but they need to be 6" or smaller, likewise for a knife, 6" or smaller. These are for first aid purposes. But they are adamant about no poles, thus mine will be purchased in St. Jean. I've had my checked luggage lost or delayed a time too many to chance it for this trip. I do wish you luck. I'm sure it will all work out for you.
I think you will find the length limits are 6 cm, not 6 inches:)

NicoZ is right; i.e. I'm flying British Airways from Canada. They have a clear and concise list of what is and is not allowed in the cabin. Definitely NOT walking poles; that is why I am purchasing mine in St. Jean.
I flew BA a couple weeks ago from the US to London and back. I checked my backpack (45Liter) but I saw a couple very large backpacks carried onto the fight home, at least 60Liter packs!

If you are starting and ending at the same place make arrangements to leave a suitcase there. I put my pack and gear (poles, knife, and small scissors) in suitcase and checked my bag in with the airline. This also allowed for clean clothing for my flight home.

P.S. I hate to purchase equipment that I'm going to have to leave behind when I'm done!:mad:

€60,-
I flew BA a couple weeks ago from the US to London and back. I checked my backpack (45Liter) but I saw a couple very large backpacks carried onto the fight home, at least 60Liter packs!
If you are starting and ending at the same place make arrangements to leave a suitcase there. I put my pack and gear (poles, knife, and small scissors) in suitcase and checked my bag in with the airline. This also allowed for clean clothing for my flight home.

P.S. I hate to purchase equipment that I'm going to have to leave behind when I'm done!:mad:
I don't start and end at the same place. I am planning on purchasing poles in SJdP, but definitely will bring them back to Canada for my 'next time'.

I don't start and end at the same place. I am planning on purchasing poles in SJdP, but definitely will bring them back to Canada for my 'next time'.
I'm starting the French next May. Staring in France and ending in Spain. This time I think I'll wrap my bag in cellophane and check it in.
Happy Trails

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Flying from NZ to Paris our walking pole went as "Fragile Luggage" when we finished our walk and flew out of Porto to Paris the airline wanted to charged us $150 euro, we were told by their customer service we could not strap them to our pack and they had to go as separate luggage hence the $150 euro, after facing two very angry kiwi ladies they reduced the price to $75 euro because when we went back to the checking to hand over the poles the check in guy asked us why we did not strap them to our packs and because of the confusion our pack had already gone though we had no option but to pay the amount.
Have solved that problem now, have a sleeve attached to the back of my pack where the pole will sit when traveling by plane, also a large bag on wheels which can be sent on ahead that my pack & poles fit plus any extra I may purchase
I guess you learn these thing on the way so you don't make the same mistake next time

I recently flew from England to Paris and then to Biarritz with Easyjet.
Following their rules/guidance, I packed my collapsible poles in a hard mailing tube to check-in. My pack was small enough to be a carry on. At check in, the man queried my incredibly light package for check in, asked his colleague and then suggested I put them in my rucksack!! Which I did!! No problem through security in UK or Paris

Return flight was again Easyjet from Santiago. Packed the poles in my pack again. The security man was too busy talking to his friend - I don't think he even looked at my pack as it passed through the machine...which is actually a bit if a worry.

Conflicting advice, and as most say, you are often at the whim of the security people. I guess I was lucky.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I heard on the radio news this morning that the IATA has just made new recommendations for the size of carry on luggage - much smaller. I don't have details, because of the radio not giving them, except that Emirate Airlines is adopting the new limits right away. These are recommendations, not obligatory. However, I expect that all airlines will adopt them soon, as another way to get more money from passengers. I hope that this will not happen with American Airlines and British Airways before I leave for my camino in September, as I bought my backpack with the current regulations in mind. I went for a month without my backpack in New Zealand last year, as it did not come through with the luggage and by the time it got to Auckland I was on my way with pre-booked arrangements. I knew that one lesson that I will have to learn on my camino is how to live in faith when I cannot have control, but I don't really want to learn it like this.

I heard on the radio news this morning that the IATA has just made new recommendations for the size of carry on luggage - much smaller. I don't have details, because of the radio not giving them, except that Emirate Airlines is adopting the new limits right away. These are recommendations, not obligatory. However, I expect that all airlines will adopt them soon, as another way to get more money from passengers. I hope that this will not happen with American Airlines and British Airways before I leave for my camino in September, as I bought my backpack with the current regulations in mind. I went for a month without my backpack in New Zealand last year, as it did not come through with the luggage and by the time it got to Auckland I was on my way with pre-booked arrangements. I knew that one lesson that I will have to learn on my camino is how to live in faith when I cannot have control, but I don't really want to learn it like this.
My British Airways flight is September also. Will the unrelenting grab for the buck never cease? At first I felt it was more about safety and likely, part of it is. But more and more it seems, our choices being controlled by the bottom line.

The luggage charges are undoubtedly (in my mind, anyway) a means to improve profit, but at least we have a choice that allows us to travel light and save some money instead of everyone having to paying more. I am certainly as "cheap" as the next person and try to minimize my expenses!

That said, I am amazed at how little it costs fly these days, compared to my distant youth. The downside, of course, is that we have less pampering. Here's an interesting article on the topic: http://www.theatlantic.com/business...50-in-30-years-and-why-nobody-noticed/273506/

The airlines may be doing it for the money, but that is not my concern with regards to this trip. If I have to check my bag, there is a chance that it will not arrive in Madrid and I shall not have what I need to begin my camino. I can no longer trust the airlines with delivering my luggage and this is one case where it is particularly critical that my carefully chosen items get there with me.

You can usually get "free checked baggage" if you join the airline's membership club, use an airline credit card, or similar easy to comply with option. I'm a member of several airline clubs (the free membership type) and also have an airline credit card that works with all the Star Alliance airline members for benefits if I use the card to book the ticket. There are lots of ways to get out of paying for luggage.

But as one of those peoplee who USED TO fly a LOT for business, almost nothing was more aggrivating than passengers who ABUSE the carry on rules. Now I fly for pleasure and when I see people stuffing giant packs and things in the overhead, crushing my appropriately sized stuff in the overhead it grates on me. Worse yet are people who do that, then stuff so much under their seats that it spills over into your under seat area, and since airlines are already making seats smaller/tighter things are only getting worse.

So I welcome stricter carry on rules. No, that won't make me popular. I understand that, but the people who abuse it ruin it for everyone.

The airlines may be doing it for the money, but that is not my concern with regards to this trip. If I have to check my bag, there is a chance that it will not arrive in Madrid and I shall not have what I need to begin my camino. I can no longer trust the airlines with delivering my luggage and this is one case where it is particularly critical that my carefully chosen items get there with me.
I dunno.

I'm a 2,000,000 mile member at American Airlines. A "Sapphire" member at British Airways. An "Explorer" member at United. I check bags all the time.

Still waiting to have some lost.

I did have 1 situation, once only, when my bag was forwarded on an earlier flight and not at my destination airport when I arrived. It was actually taken to my hotel so I didn't even have to carry it through the airport.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The luggage charges are undoubtedly (in my mind, anyway) a means to improve profit, but at least we have a choice that allows us to travel light and save some money instead of everyone having to paying more. I am certainly as "cheap" as the next person and try to minimize my expenses!

That said, I am amazed at how little it costs fly these days, compared to my distant youth. The downside, of course, is that we have less pampering. Here's an interesting article on the topic: http://www.theatlantic.com/business...50-in-30-years-and-why-nobody-noticed/273506/
A good article from one of my favourite U.S. magazines. However here in Canada, we do not have enough airline companies to make the cost competitive. We have Air Canada and WestJet, with a few smaller ones. I often fly out of Seattle when I travel…. and Melensdad is right about overhead space. People have taken advantage of the space. My pet gripe is when people first come into the cabin, they will grab any over bin, then keep moving on to their seat, rather than using the bin allotted to the seat.

My British Airways flight is September also. Will the unrelenting grab for the buck never cease? At first I felt it was more about safety and likely, part of it is. But more and more it seems, our choices being controlled by the bottom line.
SERIOUSLY?

Flying is amazingly CHEAP. Compare it to ANY other form of commercial travel and you will realize that competition has dropped the cost of airline travel down to comparitively low prices. Further, most airlines tend to run at just over break-even and its pretty common for airlines to file for bankruptcy because they don't make enough money! Many national airlines in many nations rely on government (taxpayer) support.

It is cheaper and faster than trains. It is cheaper and faster than a bus. It is cheaper and faster than boat.

The only form of transportation that compares for speed are bullet trains but those are huge taxpayer boondoggles that cost nations huge sums, drainging taxpayers daily to subsidize travel for tourists and businesspeople. So bullet trains are really incredibly expensive compared to airlines.

It is cheaper and faster than trains. It is cheaper and faster than a bus. It is cheaper and faster than boat.

The only form of transportation that compares for speed are bullet trains but those are huge taxpayer boondoggles that cost nations huge sums, drainging taxpayers daily to subsidize travel for tourists and businesspeople. So bullet trains are really incredibly expensive compared to airlines.

Well many European trains are actually quicker point to point then flying. Factor in the time needed to get to and from the airport and the trains end up that much quicker.

The trains tend to compete with the airlines on price in Europe. With in each country it's often cheaper and quicker to take the plane.

The high speed trains are the part that make money and subsidize the rest of the system.

The new bag size sounds fairly similar to the current Ryanair etc size. Just a little narrower. I wouldn't expect many EU airlines to change. They are already fairly small and often going the other way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good article from one of my favourite U.S. magazines. However here in Canada, we do not have enough airline companies to make the cost competitive. We have Air Canada and WestJet, with a few smaller ones. I often fly out of Seattle when I travel…. and Melensdad is right about overhead space. People have taken advantage of the space. My pet gripe is when people first come into the cabin, they will grab any over bin, then keep moving on to their seat, rather than using the bin allotted to the seat.

I've flown international several times on various airlines; I've always flown with a group, pre-paying the travel agency. We were always allowed one check-in bag "free". The last time was May of 2014 - LAX to CDG non-stop. I don't remember off hand which airline. Have things changed since then or do you think the "free" bag was actually paid for in the group pre-paid rate? I didn't check a bag going over (I like to pack light) but I did coming back, and at no extra charge. When I do the Camino I won't be going with a group - or anyone else at this point - but I don't like to check bags through (I try not to abuse the carry-on weight/size policy) as I don't want to get to Spain without my backpack. So this whole thread has intrigued me... I have taken it all under consideration but I would like to know about the one "free" checked bag going internationally in case I do decide to check my pack. Does anyone out there know?

SERIOUSLY?

Flying is amazingly CHEAP. Compare it to ANY other form of commercial travel and you will realize that competition has dropped the cost of airline travel down to comparitively low prices. Further, most airlines tend to run at just over break-even and its pretty common for airlines to file for bankruptcy because they don't make enough money! Many national airlines in many nations rely on government (taxpayer) support.

As I wrote earlier, I am in Canada. Pretty much, we have two airlines (thus no competitive pricing).

As I wrote earlier, I am in Canada. Pretty much, we have two airlines (thus no competitive pricing).
And flying is still cheaper than driving or rail in your country when distances and time are factored, despite your government's regulations that hobble airline competition.

The high speed trains are the part that make money and subsidize the rest of the system.
I'm sorry but that is patently false. Railroad experts have admitted that there may be only 1, and possibly 2, high speed rail lines in the world that operate at BREAK EVEN, the remainder lose money outright. Only 1 line running to/from Tokyo is widely believed to cover costs. A possible second line, out of Paris, may operate at/above a break even point.

Over long distances air travel is still amazingly cheap.

It's true that we have fewer airlines for the routes within Canada, so our internal routes may be less competitive than similar US internal routes, but they are still much less expensive than 30 years ago, compared to incomes. For international routes, I shop carefully for price, convenience of the arrival/departure times, and total length of the journey, and find that the flights from Canada (including Air Canada) are quite competitive.

Each airline makes its own rules and they depend on the route and the class of ticket. Many allow one checked bag free for international flights.
Flew British Airways about three weeks ago round-trip US to London and back. We each got two free bags for check through. We flew economy class.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm sorry but that is patently false. Railroad experts have admitted that there may be only 1, and possibly 2, high speed rail lines in the world that operate at BREAK EVEN, the remainder lose money outright. Only 1 line running to/from Tokyo is widely believed to cover costs. A possible second line, out of Paris, may operate at/above a break even point.

They might want to explain that to the private companies running those services. Very few private companies are run for charity

They might want to explain that to the private companies running those services. Very few private companies are run for charity
Don't know about that, but this analysis was published yesterday . . . it says that not a single high speed rail line in Spain is, or ever will be, profitable: https://www.thespainreport.com/1563...will-be-profitable-says-a-new-study-by-fedea/

And this current article seems to indicate that not only do the high speed trains require government (taxpayer) support, but that they are typically state owned/operated:
http://www.economist.com/news/busin...st-face-rising-competition-problems-down-line

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It just depends on the airlines.
Check the website of your airlines and see what size they allow.
Then consider using a service that wraps your pack tightly in saran.
My pack is quite a bit smaller than yours, so I'm not sure how small yours can be made.

The other option is to pack all non-essential items - things you could easily replace - in a checked bag.
Then try to squeeze your pack down smaller using saran?

Annie is correct, of course. But, I cannot help thinking that perhaps your packs are simply too large, especially for a summer Camino. I do not have all the facts, so this is just a supposition on my part.

My personal rucksack for three Caminos was an Osprey Kestrel 48 liter bag with internal frame. It is too large to carry on, plus it contains all sorts of things that I cannot carry on. So, I use an inexpensive mesh laundry bag I bought in a local Dollar Tree store for ONE DOLLAR to check the rucksack, poles, sharps, etc. I simply cinch the opening close with the toggle fastener and attach two luggage tags. One is my home address, the other is my destination for the first evening.

Also, I wear a complete hiking outfit including my boots on the flight over. I carry-on my documents, medications, rain parka, a zip-up 100 level Polartec fleece, a hat, and a change of shirt and underwear in a 20-liter sil-nylon backpack that compresses to the size of a tennis ball. If my checked rucksack gets mis-directed, I have enough to tide me over. So far, I have had no problems. But I am a firm believer in the adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

As mentioned, I attach a "destination tag" to my checked rucksack, showing my first night's destination (hotel usually so the airline knows where to send the bag. This tag includes my e-mail and European phone number (I maintain a pre-paid Belgian number as I travel to Europe several times each year.).

I should note in passing that, on my most recent Camino, in April, I mailed so much stuff ahead to Ivar that my 48-liter rucksack was only about 2/3 full by the time I reached Santiago. The next time, I am going to give a 35-liter bag a try. THAT bag will be carry-on size. I will still have to check my hiking sticks and sharps. But, this will lower the net risk.

I hope this helps.

Not sure if it applies to international flights, but just booked a couple of tickets to fly domestically in the US on UNITED AIRLINES and we each get 1 free checked bag.

I don't know if everyone gets a free checked back on UNITED, but if you get their EXPLORER card (no annual fee) you get free checked bags.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, or backpacks went every time in the cargohole, no problems with that . And no stress , maybe it's not allouwed on as carry-on. Wish you well, Peter.

And flying is still cheaper than driving or rail in your country when distances and time are factored, despite your government's regulations that hobble airline competition.

While I have no real idea, I agree they really can't operate on much of a profit. My family of four is leaving in three days and we'll take the train from Madrid to Pamplona. Cost for all four adults? 74 euro! That is amazingly cheap!

Hi, or backpacks went every time in the cargohole, no problems with that . And no stress , maybe it's not allouwed on as carry-on. Wish you well, Peter.
I think there is a lot more fear about putting things into cargo than is needed. The reality is that is not much to worry about.

Take a roll of Saran Wrap with you, wrap the pack after it goes through security (talk to security first, ask if you can roll it first or after it is scanned) different TSA agents will give different answers. Some airports have a wrapping service and will do it for you.

While I have no real idea, I agree they really can't operate on much of a profit. My family of four is leaving in three days and we'll take the train from Madrid to Pamplona. Cost for all four adults? 74 euro! That is amazingly cheap!
That is because the Spanish taxpayers, as well as the taxpayers of the whole EU, actually pay to support that train route, which loses money on every run it makes. The more times they run that train the more money it loses. I've also ridden on the Spanish high speed trains, I probably should have left them a THANK YOU NOTE pinned to my seat for helping to pay for my vacation.

I got a large durable laundry bag and shoved everything in it. It keeps things relatively clean and safe on the plane.
I also took back two hiking sticks that I bought in Astorga (for an extra 75 euros!) They won't mail hiking sticks over 105 centimeters long.
Rick

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back