• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Checking your backpack on flights

MartaM

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués costal (Sept. 2020)
Thought I’d share our solution since I spent way too much time thinking about this. Our 36 liter Osprey packs measured too large for carry-on with Lufthansa and I didn’t really want to carry them through the airport to a connecting flight. On the way to Porto I used the blue IKEA bags w/ zipper which did ok but tore to the point it didn’t seem worth hanging onto them during our trip. I knew we could get bags wrapped at the airport but was concerned about where and what time they opened, and the cost is €14 each. I found 2 huge zipper bags designed for bedding at a ‘China Store’ and a roll of clear tape €8 total. The gate agent was super careful making sure the baggage label stuck. The tape came right off once we got home so they can be reused. Problem solved!

Attachments

• 7B6F77E8-F6FA-47CB-919A-E4AA0F3B6AFE.jpeg
    7B6F77E8-F6FA-47CB-919A-E4AA0F3B6AFE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 119
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thought I’d share our solution since I spent way too much time thinking about this. Our 36 liter Osprey packs measured too large for carry-on with Lufthansa and I didn’t really want to carry them through the airport to a connecting flight. On the way to Porto I used the blue IKEA bags w/ zipper which did ok but tore to the point it didn’t seem worth hanging onto them during our trip. I knew we could get bags wrapped at the airport but was concerned about where and what time they opened, and the cost is €14 each. I found 2 huge zipper bags designed for bedding at a ‘China Store’ and a roll of clear tape €8 total. The gate agent was super careful making sure the baggage label stuck. The tape came right off once we got home so they can be reused. Problem solved!
Excellent idea! I gave away one of those "China bags" recently, thinking why would I ever need this again. Now I know why I should have kept it - for just in case I have to check a bag. But I must say, I do everything possible to avoid checking a bag! I have a 36 L Osprey that fit in the overhead on a recent Lufthansa flight. It's 22" high if I don't fill the "top" puffy part. I carry a personal bag ("string bag") with a few things from my backpack to make that backpack fit their rules. And I wear my hoodie and rain jacket on the plane! Whatever it takes to avoid checking a bag, I'll do it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with the previous comments. I generally carry on my bag for reasons of convenience. As a retired pilot I will add that the chances of having your bag misdirected are GREATLY reduced if you fly with the same air carrier or carriers of the same alliance from your initial point of checking your bag to the point where you retrieve it.

It is when your bag must be transferred between carriers and especially those carriers outside of the carrier's alliance that bags are misdirected or miss a connecting flight.
By alliance, I am referring to the "code sharing" agreements the major carriers such as Delta, United, and American have with other carriers, both foreign and domestic.

I purchased the Osprey Airporter medium for my Exos at a decent sale price. I pack a fresh set of clothes and lightweight shoes together with a tough plastic bag and a printed label addressed to Casa Ivar all inside together with gaffa tape rolled around one walking pole. Once out of the airport I pack the airporter bag, shoes and clean clothes into the bag and I have my pre printed label with ivars details and my email and tel no on it. I wrap the parcel tightly with the gaffa and pop into the closest post office.
It is a lovely feeling putting on fresh clothes and shoes after the camino for your flight home.

I purchased the Osprey Airporter medium for my Exos at a decent sale price. I pack a fresh set of clothes and lightweight shoes together with a tough plastic bag and a printed label addressed to Casa Ivar all inside together with gaffa tape rolled around one walking pole. Once out of the airport I pack the airporter bag, shoes and clean clothes into the bag and I have my pre printed label with ivars details and my email and tel no on it. I wrap the parcel tightly with the gaffa and pop into the closest post office.
It is a lovely feeling putting on fresh clothes and shoes after the camino for your flight home.
This is my common routine, too. I usually send an empty duffel bag up to Santiago as soon as I arrive in Spain. Then when I get to Santiago I fill it with olive oil, pimentón, some Galician canned seafood (sounds awful but some of them are delicious and this stand in the Santiago market is great), cheese, and good beans/alubias. YUM! (and though people always ask, I have never had a leakage of olive oil - always use cans or plastic bottles and wrap them in my clothes and a bit of plastic bubble wrap).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've had several pilgrims arrive in Madrid without their pack.
All had to re-gear while they waited, sometimes more than 3 weeks, to get their gear.
I will never check my pack TO Madrid unless I'm forced.
But yes, these China bags are great for flying home.
I agree, our packs come with us. One year we lost train reservation, two night of hotel because our bags never left Newark.

When I look at the size of some of the carry-on luggage people haul onto the aircraft I would never hesitate to carry-on a 36lt or smaller pack. I've read too many comments on here from folk losing their packs in transit - with the accompanying stress of (sometimes) having to purchase replacements.

Have always carried on our Osprey 36L packs. Have never had a problem with them in overhead compartments. Nor have we ever been questioned anout them being too large. A couple years ago, although we had our packs with us, we had to check our poles. As we stood by the luggage carrousel in Santiago, guess what! No poles! My advice! Don’t check your backpack!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I counted over 1000 flights in my working life and only was inconvenienced by late arriving luggage twice - once being my failure to comprehend the efficiency of the Swiss integrated-transport network which seamlessly moves bags along with your combined air/rail ticket.

Nonetheless, some good advice above - especially wrt canned seafood in Spain. The quality is exceptional.

I have sent my Osprey pack twice as luggage and had no problems. Just saying

Buen Camino Bob
No question, it’s a very low risk. But if it happens to you, as it did to me in 2014, it can cause major disruptions. Especially for people coming from overseas.

I would never ever check my backpack. Some would say if your pack is too big too carry on the plane, it’s too big to carry on your back for a month. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I just don’t want to take the risk. It’s like deciding whether to feed the meter. In my town, odds are very low of getting a ticket, but if you’ve gotten several tickets you’re less likely to risk it again than if you’ve gotten away with it for years as my son has.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've had several pilgrims arrive in Madrid without their pack.
All had to re-gear while they waited, sometimes more than 3 weeks, to get their gear.
I will never check my pack TO Madrid unless I'm forced.
But yes, these China bags are great for flying home.
I never have and never will check in my pack!

No question, it’s a very low risk. But if it happens to you, as it did to me in 2014, it can cause major disruptions. Especially for people coming from overseas.

Yes.

It never matters that checking a backpack has previously gone without a problem. What matters is that it only takes one time for it to become a major headache.

A few years ago I had to fly out-of-state in order to get to a trail head for a 3 week backpacking trip in the Colorado Rockies. Up to that point, I had always checked my backpack as luggage, containing all of my gear and clothing, whenever I had to fly to a destination for a backpacking trip.

This time it was lost. To this day, it has never been recovered. The airline suspected that it may have been stolen at some point during the baggage handling process. In the end, however, the reason didn't matter. Since then, I have talked to other backpackers who have had their backpacks lost -- not necessarily stolen -- when flying.

So, here I was 24 hours prior to the start of the hiking trip. I was tired, and had been hoping to rest up for a good day at altitude (9800 feet), in order to get a bit of a head start acclimating because of the hike being above 10,000 ft. for most of that trip.

Instead, I had to spend much of the day replacing gear and clothing. Some, I could do a direct replacement. For other stuff, like my tent and sleeping quilt which were special ordered, I had to make due with something heavier and less efficient. Plus, I had to replace all of the freeze dried food I had packed.

The fact that every other time I had checked my backpack it had arrived safely didn't matter one teensy bit. :)

Last edited:
My 38L osprey has flown carry-on with Wizz, EasyJet, TAP, Norwegian, RyanAir, and Vueling - never had an issue with it meeting the standard as I don’t overstuff it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a 36L backpack I bring onboard with me, but I always check the particular airline's dimenensions for carrry-on luggage as it does seem like some are shrinking in size. I try to pack it a little loosely, so it can still fit in the metal bins used to verify size dimensions before boarding. No problem so far.

Last edited:
I have a 36L backpack I bring onboard with me, but I always check the particular airline's dimenensions for carrry-on luggage as it does seem like some are shrinking in size. I try to pack it a little loosely, so it can still fit in the metal bins used to verify size dimensions before boarding. No problem so far.
I did once witness an already harassed traveller disputing their soft-sided case with the check-in staff and when asked to fit it in the metal bin at the gate shoved it in and jumped on it so as to cram it in.

He won the argument but couldn’t get the case back out and missed the flight. I admit I laughed; don’t judge me - so did everyone else.

I did once witness an already harassed traveller disputing their soft-sided case with the check-in staff and when asked to fit it in the metal bin at the gate shoved it in and jumped on it so as to cram it in.

He won the argument but couldn’t get the case back out and missed the flight. I admit I laughed; don’t judge me - so did everyone else.
I have seen similar a couple of times myself...minus the jumping.😅 I've seen people open their luggage on the floor by the metal bin and try to readjust the contents and strew them all over the floor. I've also seen a couple of angry persons have to give their credit card at the gate desk to pay extra for the oversized bag. I don't remember those bins 5+ years ago.🤔

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Probably, but at that time they were not "nickeling and dimeing" everyone with as many add on costs for every little thing. Now they watch what you are bringing on board like a hawk.
I don't know if it's always "nickel and diming" so much as making sure that every passenger with the correct size carry-on has space in the overhead bin. When people put oversized items in the bin they sometimes have to put them in sideways, which can take the space of two proper sized carry-on bags.

Certainly low cost carriers keep their prices so low by charging extra fees, however.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Probably, but at that time they were not "nickeling and dimeing" everyone with as many add on costs for every little thing. Now they watch what you are bringing on board like a hawk.
Michael O’Leary, of Ryanair fame is reputed to have ordered a pint of Guinness in Dublin several years ago.

‘That’ll be €1, Mr O’Leary’

‘My God, that’s cheap!’

‘Will you be wanting to rent a glass to put it in?’

I’ve just booked several flights for next year with a mid-range carrier and there were 4 pricing elements including the headline price.

Michael O’Leary, of Ryanair fame is reputed to have ordered a pint of Guinness in Dublin several years ago.

‘That’ll be €1, Mr O’Leary’

‘My God, that’s cheap!’

‘Will you be wanting to rent a glass to put it in?’

I’ve just booked several flights for next year with a mid-range carrier and there were 4 pricing elements including the headline price.
That's what I'm talkin' about.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
they were not "nickeling and dimeing" everyone with as many add on costs for every little thing
I like the fact that I can choose the level of convenience and comfort I want to pay for. When people moan about airfares going up, I roll my eyes and remember that 50 years ago, I had to pay about 10% of my gross (before tax) annual income to fly to Europe. Sure, I got meals, nice cutlery, maybe a wider seat, and 2 free checked bags, but given a choice, I would not have spent that money on those trivialities!

Nowadays even a Business Class ticket is much more affordable than the Economy fare of yore.

Last edited:
I like the fact that I can choose the level of convenience and comfort I want to pay for. When people moan about airfares going up, I roll my eyes and remember that 50 years ago, I had to pay about 10% of my gross (before tax) income to fly to Europe. Sure, I got meals, nice cutlery, maybe a wider seat, and 2 free checked bags, but given a choice, I would not have spent that money on those trivialities!

Nowadays even a Business Class ticket is much more affordable than the Economy fare of yore.
Exactly. People moan when their 31€ fare on Ryanair doesn't include seat selection or carry-on luggage.

Exactly. People moan when their 31€ fare on Ryanair doesn't include seat selection or carry-on luggage.
Yes, I do like all the options. I flew to Sedona with a friend in August and we were able to "share" one carryon between us as it was very hot and we needed no heavy clothing to hike. Call me a cheapskate, but why pay extra for things you don't need. I did pick an aisle seat at an extra cost cuz wearing a mask wedged between two others seemed like it would be claustrophobic.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think, to be fair, that people moan because it doesn’t include a *seat*. What is a fare without a seat? Gas and parking I suppose… But they sell you the seat as though you are paying for the selection… so OK, I ”choose” the seat instead of having it assigned, but if I don’t choose a seat, it won’t be assigned (YMMV — some places will still let you have that last seat on the plan by the lavatories if you don’t select ahead of time) but many simply won’t allow you to board until you’ve paid for a “selection”. In other words: for the seat that used to be what we understood the fare was for.

*AND* all the observations about the relatively inexpensive cast of fares relative to salaries now as compared to 30+ years ago: totally and completely accurate. I am looking at a fare now that is something in the range of $520 all in for Toronto to Lis on late next year…. Even thought the advertised fare was $325… the $520 is still very inexpensive. We had to pay $2500 for our tickets to Paris in 1991 for our honeymoon, and it took us a year to save that money…. The airfare I’m looking at now will take less than a month to save for, even when I factor in that I will need to find a return ticket.

For that reason, I don‘t know why they don’t just sell you the final true fare, instead of advertising the $325…. It just *feels* aggravating to have to add on the seat, the ability to access the toilet, an inflight meal, your *carry on* bag…

Just sell the $520 flight, with taxes and baggage, airport fees, the meal all bundled in it.

but many simply won’t allow you to board until you’ve paid for a “selection”. In other words: for the seat that used to be what we understood the fare was for.
On what airline does this happen? If one doesn't choose a seat, then a seat is assigned at check in.

I’ve had luggage lost before so didn’t want to risk too much. My pack fit, but I didn’t have it full. I divided my Camino stuff into “will ruin it without it” and “PITA to replace”. Shoes, socks and pack were in the first group, sleeping bag in the second, and so on so the pack was cinched down very small. PITA stuff, knife, and poles went into a small hard sided carry on case which I checked. Edit: also some “tourist” clothes for my time pre and post Camino) I had the luxury of time so allowed five days before my planned step off in SJPdP for luggage to arrive if delayed, or replacing PITA stuff. Bought a big hard sided case for almost nothing in SdC to put pack etc into for return flight bc I hate taking anything more than a small bag onto the flight.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just sell the $520 flight, with taxes and baggage, airport fees, the meal all bundled in it.
Bc it’s marketing (low low fares!!!) and some people actually won’t pay for a meal, or an aisle seat, or extra bags, etc.

I regret the loss of legroom over the years, and loss of common courtesy…otoh in the good old days women wore stockings and heels…last time I did that on a flight was in the 80s.

I was on a flight to Egypt (decades ago). A gentleman rolled a bag almost as big as I am down the aisle. It was entertaining to watch him try dozens of times to make it fit, although this was delaying the flight. A flight attendant went rushing back to where he was, assuring him in German-accented English it wouldn’t fit. A tug of war ensued. People were betting on the outcome. She won, bag was handed off—in flight movie was a bit boring after all that.

On what airline does this happen? If one doesn't choose a seat, then a seat is assigned at check in.
As I said, a seat might be assigned at check in without a fee, but that seat may easily be near the lavatory, or on the part of the fuselage that is so narrow that you have to see in a fetal position (happened to me NYC to Stockholm on Delta)…
But there are new lost-cost airlines in Canada that will still charge you a fee *at the gate* to confirm your seat. It’s been a major complaint at the small international airport where I live that has added two low cost carriers — north of which have been in the local paper recently for charging people for their *carry ons* that were in their laps, and for “seat confirmation” at the gate.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Isn't that why you have the choice to pay for a better seat in advance?
In theory... yes, but in practice, not always.

The "you can have it for no extra cost if you wait to the gate" is disappearing from some carriers. And people are feeling rather peevish about it. Or, it's being matched by, "Sorry; we know that you bought a carry-on fare, and we know your bag is smaller than the allowable, but the flight is full here at the gate, so we have to ticket your bag, take it from you, and charge you 25 euros more before we can let you proceed down the gangway." (That happened to me on one of my favourite airlines, tbh, and I was flummoxed.)

I can imagine all kind of ways to reduce feelings of "air-rage" that have to do with not making customers feel that they are being "nickel-and-dimed". Having tiers fares within economy could do it. People could choose to pay lower *fares* for less desirable seats, medium fares for perfectly comfortable seats in the middle of rows... and premium for their choice of window or aisle... without these fares being wilding different from each other, clients would *perceive* that their fares *include* their seats....

It's something of a psychological thing, but it's not proven to make for calm clients to ding them with 5 "extras" at the end.

Me? I'm not especially bothered. Like I said... I get very good value for current fares over the ones that took me a year to save for... but most of us *felt better* about the "here's the fare, it's what you pay, and you get all the stuff included."

The next step was "here's the fare and we can make it cheaper for you if you want to remove some things" (dawn the birth of the roll-on bag) and no meals from Toronto to Vancouver...

Now it's the inverse: "Here's the fare, by which we mean a gas and airport fee, but if you actually want to get on the plane, that's extra; your meal is extra; the blanket and pillow are extra; there's no food but if you want to buy a sub sandwich, that's extra... " and clients find it annoying.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I prefer the current situation: never liked airline food, rarely check a bag, sleep too hot for a blanket, and don’t care where I sit! If I don’t have to pay hundreds extra for items you need that I don’t, it’s fine by me.

OK. I'm a bit confused. I've always used the blue IKEA zip bag and had no problem but, as has been stated here, "Past performance is no predictor of future results."
I don't think my backpack would fit in one of those test models for carryon bags. Is it just that ALL of my past bp's have been too big? I can't imagine getting by with a smaller one, although I know some people do it. Do people call their bags oversized, like bicycles??

It doesn't help the peevishness to exaggerate with suggestions that people must pay for access to toilets, or that carriers are denying seats to people who pay a fare.
I prefer the current situation: never liked airline food, rarely check a bag, sleep too hot for a blanket, and don’t care where I sit! If I don’t have to pay hundreds extra for items you need that I don’t, it’s fine by me.
I generally feel this way also, and when I feel otherwise, I spring for the upgraded seat etc.

As to the rest, I didn't say that we have to pay to access the toilet. I said that if we don't pay the "premium" for advance selection then we can easily end up by the toilet. I know that, so I pay in advance, but there are other ways to offer fares that would feel less like aeronautic Hunger Games for people.

I said that I can understand why some people feel nickel and dime (which was not my phrasing, I was quoting @Camino Chrissy -- who may well have been indicating an empathy for others, as, like me, she seems not overly bothered by the itemized fare.

Even though I don't personally feel exasperated, I expressed empathy for people's exasperations.

Travelling is stressful for many people; look how many come to the board because they are terrified of not knowing 35 days in advance for every booking. Many are reluctant fliers anyway. COV isn't helped... and airlines could do better at minimizing flier stress. I've been flying for all of my 53 of my 54 years and I still love it. But I understand why plenty pf people find the pecuniary attitude of the industry to be another knock.

We have 2 discount airlines locally that won't allow people who have waited for the last crappy seat on the plane to have that seat without paying a "selection fee" *at the gate.

And, it's actually just a very common practice, because of "overbooking", for airlines to deny boarding to passengers access to flights for which they have paid all the fees. Happened all the time pre-COV. And it's happening now with people being offered vouchers they can't use...

How many times have we heard the TAP or RyanAir have been impossible to deal with, that fares have been entirely lost etc. It's a different but not unrelated issue that makes me grateful I'm not in transportation logistics. But if I were in customer care, I'd be trying to find ways to create "softer landings" if you will, so that people would not feel "nickel and dimed."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK. I'm a bit confused. I've always used the blue IKEA zip bag and had no problem but, as has been stated here, "Past performance is no predictor of future results."
I don't think my backpack would fit in one of those test models for carryon bags. Is it just that ALL of my past bp's have been too big? I can't imagine getting by with a smaller one, although I know some people do it. Do people call their bags oversized, like bicycles??

Kathy, some of your confusion may be related to capacity vs size. The size of a backpack does not relate to how much it can carry. It is a function of a manufacturers design. Some Osprey backpacks that are 34 to 36 liters can be too big for the carry on measure thingy. But my Gossamer Gear Silverback which can hold nearly 60 liters of gear, will fit the carry on luggage dimensions, and will fit into the testing frame thingy.

I will compress it using the packs exterior straps so that bag itself does not bulge past the width or length of the frame.

Some backpacks have the ability to snug the shoulder harness down tight enough that it will 'bow' the top of the frame downward a bit to decrease its height (length). Some have built in straps for compression of loads which can do what my Gossamer Gear backpack does. If not, you can purchase and use a few external cinch straps, like those some use to keep suitcases from flying open, to compress the bag.

Fit your bp to you not carryon size. That said, my osprey exos 46 (bought for the frame, I didn’t come close to filling it) measures 52x36 cm at tallest/widest empty. Iberia carry on limits now are 56x40 (x25). I packed essential and then PITA to replace items to a depth less than the max and cinched down all straps.

Edit (to make clear): I didn’t put everything I was taking into pack (some went into checked luggage like sleeping bag and poles) but took stuff that would be really important and hard to replace. Most of us take 2 or 3 outfits, 2 shoes. Footwear is the most essential, wear boots and trail shoes go in backpack. Wear one outfit and jacket, the. rain gear goes in bp, etc. easier to find new shirts than perfect footwear if necessary. I’ll also admit I’m not a giant so some tall people may have a bp frame that exceeds the limit. OTOH you can see over people in parades.

Last edited:
I have sent my Osprey pack twice as luggage and had no problems. Just saying

Buen Camino Bob
From St Louis Airport several Madrid bound checked backpack as luggage: ditto safe arrivals. However, I was flying American direct to Madrid, therefore (what am I saying!), surrely luggage could not get lost on a direct flight?

See, that comment got everyone to roll their eyes!

Considering Spring 2002 the same route STL to Madrid (and definitely upgrading my seat) and at 77, by then, packing poles for the upward bits. Poles with prayers! :).

We're going to do the Norte in 2 weeks and rather than pay for 2 bags in the luggage haul we're using this bag for putting both in and save £30. Great if there's 2 of you going and saves money🤭

I was forced to gate check my pack this time. 😡 Why? Because lots of the premium seat holders had carry ons that were mostly definitely pushing the size limits. I gave the young guy at the counter what was probably my stern momma face and said “if you lose this I’m screwed. I’m walking over 500 miles in Spain.” He gave me a solemn nod and added extra stickers to it. 😆 I was a nervous wreck at baggage claim but she was there, and none the worse for wear.

I was forced to gate check my pack this time. 😡 Why? Because lots of the premium seat holders had carry ons that were mostly definitely pushing the size limits. I gave the young guy at the counter what was probably my stern momma face and said “if you lose this I’m screwed. I’m walking over 500 miles in Spain.” He gave me a solemn nod and added extra stickers to it. 😆 I was a nervous wreck at baggage claim but she was there, and none the worse for wear.
That sounds like my worst nightmare! I'm happy your bag arrived safely. Thanks for the warning. Do you think if you had the opportunity for "early boarding" it would have prevented this from happening? I'll definitely make a point to board as early as possible in the future. I never check a bag and would freak out if they took my backpack. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That sounds like my worst nightmare! I'm happy your bag arrived safely. Thanks for the warning. Do you think if you had the opportunity for "early boarding" it would have prevented this from happening? I'll definitely make a point to board as early as possible in the future. I never check a bag and would freak out if they took my backpack. Buen Camino!
That’s pretty much how I felt about it too. I had paid a bit more to chose my seat expecting it would get me to at least board in the middle but it was all the premium/business passengers and that was it for carry on. It was a smallish plane headed to jfk for the international flight. It looked to me like the international flight had plenty of space. If you can get a direct international flight from where you live that probably would have made the difference.

That’s pretty much how I felt about it too. I had paid a bit more to chose my seat expecting it would get me to at least board in the middle but it was all the premium/business passengers and that was it for carry on. It was a smallish plane headed to jfk for the international flight. It looked to me like the international flight had plenty of space. If you can get a direct international flight from where you live that probably would have made the difference.
Thanks for the update! I fly from Orlando to wherever and they are generally large airplanes. Still, I'm going to remember this! Buen Camino!

Bc it’s marketing (low low fares!!!) and some people actually won’t pay for a meal, or an aisle seat, or extra bags, etc.

I regret the loss of legroom over the years, and loss of common courtesy…otoh in the good old days women wore stockings and heels…last time I did that on a flight was in the 80s.
I watched a documentary about BOAC in the 1930s. The men wore suits and hats and the pilot was smoking a pipe. En route to Cairo one of the cabin crew came round and said ‘The captain says the weather in Nice is particularly good and wonders if you would like to stop off for lunch?’ And they did!

When I look at the size of some of the carry-on luggage people haul onto the aircraft I would never hesitate to carry-on a 36lt or smaller pack. I've read too many comments on here from folk losing their packs in transit - with the accompanying stress of (sometimes) having to purchase replacements.
Yes that would be great, but it appears Vueling is strict on their carry on size. I have a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastián that I think my 35L bag is too big for, so I will have to check the bag.

Just heard from a forum member whose checked backpack was lost in transit. They were heading to Decathlon to replenish and taking it all in stride. I am not sure I would have been as sanguine about it!
Oh no! My stuff has been assembled over many years. I wouldn't cope! I only ever take my pack as cabin luggage.

Well I'll be checking mine in as usual from Perth to Madrid .Praying that it arrives .

Yes that would be great, but it appears Vueling is strict on their carry on size. I have a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastián that I think my 35L bag is too big for, so I will have to check the bag.
That is true Mary. In October my wife and I flew from Atlanta to CDG and had no problems with packs in the overhead. The return journey, from MAD to JFK...no problems, but from JFK to Atlanta it was a different aircraft with much smaller overheads. We were very lucky as the people behind us did not have carry-on luggage and we were able to get our packs in sideways. Would have been difficult had there been more demand on the overhead from others. My lesson here...direct overseas flights (out of the US anyway) tend to have the bigger aircraft and more expansive overheads. You do, though, take your chances on some domestic legs.

When my wife and went to do CP in 2018, we split our packs. Her bag was the size that would go carry on if underloaded and well cinched, so we put the larger items and poles in my checked pack. I did carry on flight an ultra light nylon pack that I put my socks and underwear, and my small stuff sleeping bag ‘in case’.
And naturally, on arrival at the airport in Portugal, we were the ones standing by the empty revolving luggage belt.
So we did the lost luggage bit, and explained to a very sympathetic lady about our Camino, and she promised they would get it and forward along to wherever we were going to be along the walk.
It took 5 days, but I was finally reunited with my pack. We were not inconvenienced as I had my basic load, I just carried my wife’s pack.
Goes to show you can always travel light!
I do have to say that the airport people were really diligent about helping a pilgrim out!

I did carry on flight an ultra light nylon pack that I put my socks and underwear, and my small stuff sleeping bag ‘in case’.
Good idea. I always carry on my pack, but if I couldn’t because of its size, I would stuff all the contents into some disposable carry-on bag and hope the pack arrived. Replacing a pack would be a pain, but much much less of a pain than replacing all its contents.

I check my pack. For those of you who wish to also do so, I provide these photos:

1 - I start with my loaded 40L Gregory Zulu pack and a 60L zippered duffel bag.
2 - The pack goes into the duffel bag, waist-belt up.
3 - I disassemble my trekking poles and wrap them in bubble wrap.
4 - The wrapped poles go into the duffel bag.
5 - Next, my Keen sandals (for off-trail time) go into duffel bag.
6 - Zip it closed for a nice neat package with no loose straps or TSA carry-on issues.

I do put an Apple AirTag in the pack for a little more peace of mind, in case it goes astray.

This has worked for me for multiple flights and trips. For the Camino, once I'm in Spain I usually go to a post office and send my empty duffel bag and bubble wrap ahead to Ivar in Santiago and collect it there for my return flight.

IMG_0017.jpg IMG_0018.jpg IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0020.jpg IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg IMG_0023(1).jpg IMG_0024.jpg IMG_0026.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.