• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Checklist to get me to the starting line...

Darren John

Hello Camino Community...

I will be walking the Camino France later this year and my mind is buzzing of all the things I need to do before I take my first steps on the Camino! I was wondering if any Pilgrims on here had any idea towards an all round "check list" to help get thing inline before I start my walk?

Much Thanks all over to any help?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Darren, that is an awfully big question and you might like to try and refine it a bit. Type "Packing List" into the search facility and you'll find some pretty good suggestions, and some lively disagreements too. Use the search facility also to access opinion on any Camino related topic and quite a few other topics as well. And feel free to ask in the Forum. Lots of members will try to answer.

Here I my suggestions, in no particular order, for things you might find useful to do before you take those first steps:-

Take some practice hikes in the boots / shoes / sandals &c that you intend to wear on the Camino.

Pack the kit you intend to carry into the rucksack you intend to use and take some more practice hikes.

Read up on the history of the Camino, of the great cities and other cultural sites you will pass, and of Spain if that sort of thing interests you.

Learn a little Spanish: the common courtesies, some menu stuff and how to ask for and understand directions will help.

Get your credencial, you can order one here from Ivar.

Choose your guide book / App and familiarise yourself with its foibles.

Decide on your starting point.

Start.

And Buen Camino

Time of year and route will affect packing list too. These are exciting times.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have come to the right place. This Forum is a goldmine of information.
Decide which Camino you want to walk and what time of year. Then you can look up your questions in FAQ and if you still are in need of advice, please do not hesitate to post your question here.
The planning of a Camino is so exiting, figuring out the possibilities, what to do, what to bring, where to go. You have something good waiting for you!
Buen Camino

Thanks for the reminder! I was trying to think of things beyond the obvious (what to pack) and just realized that my flight leaves in 21 hours and I still need to print my tickets, call my credit card company to warn them I'll be using the card abroad, set up automatic payments for the bills that will come while I'm walking...

Thanks for the reminder! I was trying to think of things beyond the obvious (what to pack) and just realized that my flight leaves in 21 hours and I still need to print my tickets, call my credit card company to warn them I'll be using the card abroad, set up automatic payments for the bills that will come while I'm walking...

Make sure you have your passport and it is current :).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Where to start?

Decide on route and time of the year to start.
Get credencial and booking of first, max second, night on the way to reduce stress.
Plan travel to the way as stress free as possible.
Keep back pack weight as low as possible.
Set one foot after the other.
Enjoy every step, even if it is in freezing rain.
Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back