• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chemin d'Arles

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Last edited by a moderator:
@Anna Cameron Maybe for you, Anna. Delightful place. Itā€™s some years since we were there but friends stayed there more recently and loved it too ā¤ļø

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I equally recommend this lovely hike... albeit fairly solitary.

I think a week in Arles May be unnecessary. I took a high speed train (TGV/Eurostar) from London to AVIGNON staying in a great hostel and then took a slow train to nearby Arles, spending two days before heading off.

Stephen NZ,
This is Bernice NZ. No recommendations re accommodation, as I'm more budget than you. Stayed at the YHA in Arles, as I recall right on the camino.
Highly recommend the Chemin d'Arles, but it is very solitary. Also highly recommend the Miam Maim Dodo for maps and accommodation.

Anamcara / Filly / Bernice

Merci beaucoup for the suggestions
1) L'Atelier du Midi looks great - seems it has only 3 rooms, so I had better make up my mind; although the YHA/Auberge also looks great as well, and at a more budget-friendly level - it seems Arles has a choice of 4 hostels
2) I anticipate arriving in Paris, taking the TGV south, perhaps to Lyon or Avignon, then on to Arles; some sightseeing near to Arles is a most attractive prospect for the first few days (- Arles + Avignon + Orange +.....)
3) several commentaries I have read do mention the solitary nature of this Chemin - however I dont think I will mind this
4) Yes - MiamMiamDoDo - I used this on Chemin du Puy a few years ago, and found it most helpful - in fact I have just ordered it online for Chemin d'Arles

Amities
Stephen

PS - Bernice - I am in the Waikato, not too far away from Auckland
////

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Hi Stephen. Chemin dā€™Arles is indeed much quieter than the Le Puy way - at least it was when I walked - Le Puy in 2014 and Arles in 2016. But if youā€™re ok with that, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll love it. Wonderful towns, villages and scenery - really comes into its own after Montpelier. If you have time to continue over the Col du Somport and along the Aragones, Iā€™d highly recommend.

We will be walking the Chemin du Piemont from 1 April. Even fewer pilgrims than the Arles Way šŸ˜Ž

Bon chemin. AmitiƩs.

Anamcara / Filly / Bernice

Merci beaucoup for the suggestions
1) L'Atelier du Midi looks great - seems it has only 3 rooms, so I had better make up my mind; although the YHA/Auberge also looks great as well, and at a more budget-friendly level - it seems Arles has a choice of 4 hostels
2) I anticipate arriving in Paris, taking the TGV south, perhaps to Lyon or Avignon, then on to Arles; some sightseeing near to Arles is a most attractive prospect for the first few days (- Arles + Avignon + Orange +.....)
3) several commentaries I have read do mention the solitary nature of this Chemin - however I dont think I will mind this
4) Yes - MiamMiamDoDo - I used this on Chemin du Puy a few years ago, and
Hi Stephen. Chemin dā€™Arles is indeed much quieter than the Le Puy way - at least it was when I walked - Le Puy in 2014 and Arles in 2016. But if youā€™re ok with that, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll love it. Wonderful towns, villages and scenery - really comes into its own after Montpelier. If you have time to continue over the Col du Somport and along the Aragones, Iā€™d highly recommend.

We will be walking the Chemin du Piemont from 1 April. Even fewer pilgrims than the Arles Way šŸ˜Ž

Bon chemin. AmitiƩs.
Stephen,
I concur with the sentiments of Anamcara - the Arles-Aragones-FrancƩs to SDC is wonderful, and solitary (until you meet the FrancƩs)
My only hint for the start of the walk is Day 2 from Arles, as you enter the Carmargue: take the strongest insect repellent that you can buy and slather it on liberally. The mosquitoes are vicious and in hordes. Like West Coast South Island sandflies on steroids.

Stephen, you havenā€™t mentioned if you are planning to walk all the way to SdeC?

Just following on from @Bernice M about when the Aragones meets the Frances (in Obanos or Puenta la Reina depending which path you take towards the end) - when we walked the Arles / Aragones in 2016, we were not continuing on to SdeC but had to make our way north east back towards France.

We stayed the night in Obanos and had a memorable day walking ā€˜backwardsā€™ to Pamplona against the tide of pilgrims. Another time, we stayed in Puenta la Reina, then walked a day on the Frances to Estella before taking a bus north to Irun.

Enjoy!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Stephen
If you haven't already booked I stayed at L'Auberge du Pelerin for two nights which is very central, near the Forum and several other historic sites. It is actually more of a dorm like accommodation but after I checked in and saw that I was to be with 3 other folks I asked the management, as I just just flown in from western Canada if there is/was a single room I could have and they gracefully handed me the key for a two bunk room saying they would not rent the other bed that night. Which they didn't. The Auberge is part of a fancier, more expensive hotel with a good restaurant and bar.
I just had a look on line to make sure it is still there (which it is) and in 3 1/2 years the price has gone up approx. .70 cents CDN. No inflation there.
The Chemin d'Arles/ or Piemont Pyreneen which is the route I ultimately followed was very relaxing and lovely.
Bon chemin

Attachments

• IMG_7444.JPG
    IMG_7444.JPG
    675.1 KB · Views: 2
Merci a vous tous
I have walked the CF from Roncesvalles as far as Burgos (or more properly Castrojeriz).

Because of the extension of the Holy Year to 2022, I have been thinking that the CF may well be more crowded this year if I continued on from there, so I've thought of Chemin d'Arles as being a reasonable alternative - especially as I am a lover of things French and notably of the French countryside - I do not expect this would be a particular hardship for me...!

The plan at present is to cross over the Col de Somport, and continue to Puente la Reina, then, like Anamcara, to double back to Pamplona in order to return to France

Bernice - thanks for the advice as to the mossies...!
Richard - thanks for mention of the Auberge du Pelerin - it looks really central; I guess it's open - on the sidebar of the search page in google.fr, it is noted as temporarily closed, but on the contrary its own website does open.

Amities
Stephen
////

especially as I am a lover of things French and notably of the French countryside - I do not expect this would be a particular hardship for me...!
Moi aussi. My French husband included. With your appreciation of things French, for sure you will enjoy Chemin dā€™Arles. ā¤ļøšŸ‡«šŸ‡·šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡øā¤ļø

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...love your emojis...!
S
Merci!! When I put a french flag and spanish flag in my emojis (when posting from my iPad), they appeared on the forum post as circular emojis. Kinda cute - wonder if circular flags will catch on!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Hola
I am thinking of taking the Chemin d'Arles later this year (- perhaps May?)
Does anyone have recommendations as to some suitable accommodation in Arles, for say the first week (- as a base for sightseeing...!) - 1 or 2-star level would be OK
Thanks
Stephen in NZ
////
My wife and I started from Arles Mar. 1st, we spent 2 days in Arles at L'atelierdumidi.com, Chez Laurence, it is a Chambres d'hotes, 400 yr. old building right in the historic center, short walk from train station. It was $65. U.S. for 2 with breakfast. It was very nice. She is listed in the Miam Miam dodo. There are a number of gites there.

Hola
I am thinking of taking the Chemin d'Arles later this year (- perhaps May?)
Does anyone have recommendations as to some suitable accommodation in Arles, for say the first week (- as a base for sightseeing...!) - 1 or 2-star level would be OK
Thanks
Stephen in NZ
////
I am taking off in March from the Toulouse area...on the Chemin d'Arles...

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in ā€œEquipment etcā€ but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. Iā€™m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back