• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chemin de R.L. Stevenson

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Has anyone walked it? I have the Miam Miam Dodo guide. At the end, what? I want to go to Aumont-Aubrac. I suspect I have to go to Montpellier or Arles, n'est ce pas?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We drove through Le Pont Montvert and stayed a day checking it out. It looks like a nice route, perhaps too rugged for a montain bike, but a wonderful remote region to walk through. PMV is a great little town. There is also FFRP guide, and some companies which will set you up with a donkey.

A bit more....this one has been on my list for a few years.

The route is GR70. The FFRP topo guide is Ref. 700.

I'll attach a Google Earth trace of the route.

Here's a few photos:

The old hotel in Pont Montvert is a nice rustic place. The patron brought a basketball sized mushroom he harvested into the dining room to show everyone.

Attachments

• pmv1.JPG
    pmv1.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,030
  • pmv2.JPG
    pmv2.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,026
  • pmv3.JPG
    pmv3.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,031
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here's the Google trace:

Edit---looks like this isn't the whole trail

Attachments

• GR70 Chemin Stevenson.kmz
    529 bytes · Views: 76
Gittihare walked the RLS in 2010 I think - her info and blog links are somewhere in here. Try rummaging around, or PM'ing her?

Hi, yes I walked this route in 2010, here is my blog: http://www.gittiharre.blogspot.co.nz
It is great, but you will meet more walking groups, rarely people walking alone and overall it was a bit more expensive than the Geneva Route. I averaged 48 Euros per day on the RLS and 38 Euros per day on the Via Gebenennsis.
Last year with my husband we averaged 45 Euros per day. I always stay in a mix of gites, private accommodations, avoid hotels. Most of the time demipension, sometimes we cooked ourselves or went out to a restaurant for dinner. Regards, Gitti

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Falcon, Aumont Aubrac is on the Le Puy Route, the RLS starts from Le Puy en Velay. It is best to walk as far as St Jean du Gard and from there you can take La Malle Postale bus back to Le Puy and from there on to Aumont Aubrac, they do pilgrim transport on the RLS and Le Puy route. Does that make sense, did I interpret your question correctly??? Gitti

Thanks. I have found the train I need, and the Miam Miam Dodo guide shows bus and train nodes.

Many companies rent donkeys for that route. Anyone try that or seen them? We might do that sometime. We love donkeys and I'm sure they make good guides when they know the trail.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used donkeys in the Sierra Nevadas in my youth. Once was enough!!!

Miam Miam Dodo lists nine Locations d'anes de randonnee, so donkeys are welcome.

I think the donkey hire costs are around 45 Euros per day, my entire daily budget! I decided against one, but it looked very fun when I saw people walking along with them, Gitti

Parallel to RLS is the Chemin de Saint-Gilles (La Regordane). I think the RLS may be more strenuous than I am interested in. The views are better on RLS because it takes you to the top of every mountain in sight, but I think I like the comfort of a nearby road and railroad, indicating flatter terrain!

Viva Saint Gilles!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Falcon, what makes you think it is strenuous? No harder than the Geneva Route or the first few days of the Le Puy Route, it is a great route and a friend of mine aged 70 walked it after hip replacement, just take it easy, good infra structure and interesting, make sure you read "travels with my Donkey " by RLS first, it makes it much more meaningful and fun! Gitti

Absolutely it is, nonetheless in both cases I felt rather sorry for the animal. All the donkeys I met on the RLS route were very docile. They seemed to know the route by heart and trotted along happily,, progress along the route was a bit slower with a donkey than walking without. Gitti

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a friend who has a donkey as a hiking partner. It lives in her yead, and stares at her through the living room window when it doesn't get a walk.

Please! Take me along!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 646
I've done the southern half of the Chemin de Stevenson - from La Bastide to St Jean du Gard. This is probably the more strenuous section, but is not really all that difficult. Mt Lozere is the major climb, and is long and gradual rather than steep. Le Pont de Montvert to Florac is the longest day 0 around 28K.
From St jean du Gard, took a pleasant bus ride to Nimes.

From St jean du Gard, took a pleasant bus ride to Nimes.
That is good to know, because my Plan B requires meeting folks in Aumont-Aubrac, and Nimes seems to be a city where I can catch the train. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The bus terminal in Nimes as adjacent to the station. I can also recommend a hotel in Nimes if needed.

Thanks. We probably will be transiting the city, so won't need accommodations. The Miam Miam Dodo for the route is pretty good.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back