• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cherry festivals on the Lana and VDLP

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Looking for some information in another thread, I discovered this:

Apparently, both Covarrubias and the area North of Caceres are known for their cherries. So if you are walking the Lana or the Via De La Plata when the trees are blooming or fruiting... What a treat!
20201221_101828.jpg
Covarrubias even has a cherry festival in July. Sign me up!
Covarrubias:
this town, located in burgos, owes its name to the reddish caves that abound in its outskirts. the city centre, which has been declared property of cultural interest, is a wonderful example of typical castilian urban layout, with arcaded streets, and houses that have wooden structures. concerning cherry, in covarrubias it shows a smaller size than normal and there are two varieties cultivated: a bright red and another that has a greenish yellow colour with white piping.
the second weekend of july the town of covarrubias celebrates the medieval and cherry festival and their inhabitants show their banners and their best medieval costumes. covarrubias is well known throughout the province for its rich cherry harvest. during the festival the local people offer cherries, collected in the days before, to the thousands of visitors who are strolling on that weekend through the village. during these three festive days are many activities, but there are some noteworthy: the toast of doña sancha, welcoming visitors and reminding merchants and castilla is a free land and hospitable, the tribute to fernando gonzalez is another emotional act and the popular reading of the poem of fernando gonzalez in the atrium of the collegiate.

Screenshot_20201221-102630_Google.jpg
(🤭 I like the very medieval cardboard boxes!)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If it wasn't for this damned virus I would have been walking the VDLP in March and probably be in Caceres at the beginning of April. I love cherries uggggggg. Foiled again by this pandemic!!!

Walked through Caceres in April 2019 and I do not remember anything regarding Cherries. There was the cheese spread and the sweet breads that come around Easter time.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walked through Careers in April 2019 and I do not remember anything regarding Cherries
The cherry scene isn't happening in Caceres proper, put in a number of towns in the Jerte Valley, North of there:
jerte valley:
at this time of year, not only you will experience the beauty of the landscapes. if you wish it, you also will be able to attend the cherry blossom festival held in the valley during the second fortnight in march. this festival, of national tourist interest, includes exhibitions, tasting sessions for typical produce, medieval markets, open-air celebrations, music performances and guided routes exploring the "los infiernos" nature reserve and the cherry museum.

these activities, will take place in the different towns of the valley: valdestillas, tornavacas, rebollar, piornal, navaconcejo, jerte, el torno, casas del castañar, cabrero, cabezuela del valle and barrado, all of them in the province of cáceres.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back