• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chinches/bed bug help pls

Maggie :)

Time of past OR future Camino
October (2016)
Hi,

This feels embarrassing to write a about - a first post on the forum regarding bed bugs!!

I woke up yesterday morning with a few small bites. Wasn't sure if they were bed bug bites. Decided to take a taxi back to nearest big town then put everything soft into industrial sized dryer in a lavanderia for 20 mins. Sprayed all hard items with a permethrin containing spray that I got from the pharmacy. Put one set of non-dryered clothing (that I was wearing) in double bagged ziploc and sprayed this too. Sprayed next bed I was sleeping in a little as well as precautionary measure.

Phew! But then I woke up this morning with more bites. That actually looked more like classic bedbug bites than the last did. I don't know what to do or where I went wrong with my treatment:

1) the laundry place seemed to put on a delicate type cycle in dryer and perhaps this meant a lower heat? At the end for 5 mins I asked for more heat and they seemed to do this? But our language difference means I'm unsure how hot my gear was really getting.

2) Maybe these bites were from the last place and just hadn't shown up yet? I understand they can take a little while to arise.

3) Maybe I got new bedbugs from this next alburgue!!

Basically: I don't want to spread this if I haven't eradicated the problem. I also want to make sure the dreaded chinches are gone. I also don't want to keep backtracking my trip to visit lavanderias and never completing my Camino.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Kindness appreciated too - I know it's not my fault but I still feel quite embarrassed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi and sorry that you have this problem. Both 2) and 3) are a possibility. It would be helpful to know were you are to give you better advice on where to go for washing/drying. Does the next albergue you plan to stay in has a washer/dryer? That might be your best bet in terms of getting everything done.

Here in the forum resources section you can find a PDF I have written on how to de-bed-bug your Camino gear when arriving back home https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/de-bed-bugging-your-camino-gear.483/

Some if it might be useful for you. Also, can you put your sleeping bag in the dryer? That is, most likely, the place where the chinches are hidden.

Buen Camino and Thank You for taking this so seriously!, SY

Hi Sy,

Thanks very much for your response. I am currently in Villamayor de Monjardin and headed to either Los Arcos or probably Torres del Rio tonight... Do you happen to know if any of the alburgues there have a dryer? The app on my phone shows if washer avail but doesn't seem to specify dryer.

Thanks again :)

- Maggie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sy,

Thanks very much for your response. I am currently in Villamayor de Monjardin and headed to either Los Arcos or probably Torres del Rio tonight... Do you happen to know if any of the alburgues there have a dryer? The app on my phone shows if washer avail but doesn't seem to specify dryer.

Thanks again :)

- Maggie

Maggie,

The private albergue Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos offers both a washer and dryer. During past years the owners did all the clothes washing for their guests. See more here
http://www.gronze.com/navarra/arcos/albergue-casa-abuela

http://www.casadelaabuela.com/Noticias.html

It is a very comfy spot!!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Ok, here comes the list, I found 'secadoras' (dryers) listed in the following albergues:

Los Arcos
Albergue de peregrinos Isaac Santiago
Albergue La Fuente - Casa de Austria
Albergue Casa Alberdi
Albergue Casa de la Abuela

Sansol
Albergue Sansol

Torres del Rio
La Pata de Oca
Casa Mariela

Buen Camino, SY
PS I would stay in Los Arcos, that way you have more time to sort things out.

First. Identify the bite to be sure it is a bedbug. Chiggers are very prevalant and i feel often confused with bug bites.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Phew! But then I woke up this morning with more bites.
Poor you Maggie...I'm sure you will get everything in order at your next stop, and good work being so careful about getting rid of any passengers. Certainly no reason to be embarrassed...you can now trade bed bug stories with all of the forum experts. I didn't notice but if you have not notified the last two places you stayed could you do this as soon as possible?
thanks and Buen Camino!

First. Identify the bite to be sure it is a bedbug. Chiggers are very prevalant and i feel often confused with bug bites.
It's very difficult (or impossible) to be certain since the allergic reaction varies from person to person, and even on different occasions. It is mostly circumstantial evidence.

So sorry you are going through this, and so early on your Camino. But you were clearly well prepared and new what to do. Wow!

Bites can apparently take a few days to show up. When I encounterd them, in a Santiago pension no less, I started to get bumps at the airport, and then more after arriving home. I was so afraid I had let them in the house.

So the good news is that this means you may have gotten of the bugs, the bad news is that it is not for certain. When you do have your items dried again, do tell the machine operator that you are doing this to combat chinches. They will then make sure the temp in the dryer is high enough, for your benefit but also for theirs.

And yes, Casa de la Abuela used to do washing and drying for walkers. Just make sure you tell them you are asking for this service to get rid of chinches so they use high temp and keep your stuff away from everyone else's and their own stuff.

Best of luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So sorry you are going through this, and so early on your Camino. But you were clearly well prepared and new what to do. Wow!

Bites can apparently take a few days to show up. When I encounterd them, in a Santiago pension no less, I started to get bumps at the airport, and then more after arriving home. I was so afraid I had let them in the house.

So the good news is that this means you may have gotten of the bugs, the bad news is that it is not for certain. When you do have your items dried again, do tell the machine operator that you are doing this to combat chinches. They will then make sure the temp in the dryer is high enough, for your benefit but also for theirs.

And yes, Casa de la Abuela used to do washing and drying for walkers. Just make sure you tell them you are asking for this service to get rid of chinches so they use high temp and keep your stuff away from everyone else's and their own stuff.

Best of luck.

Hello,

Thanks for the compassion and shared tale! It's definitely taken the wind out of my sails a bit the last couple of days.

I fear that if I tell the alburgue or lavenderia that I am using their services to combat chinches that I will be turned away.. Hence my trying to rid myself of the problem on my own. But if the problem persists I will ask directly for assistance.

Thanks,
Maggie

I fear that if I tell the alburgue or lavenderia that I am using their services to combat chinches that I will be turned away.. Hence my trying to rid myself of the problem on my own.
Maggie

Maggie, NOOOOOOO..... You must be upfront and tell them. They must protect their business and clients. How would you feel if someone came in your house with chinches and didn't tell you? Chinches are part of the Camino, they will not send you away.

Please, don't be part of the problem. And to tell you the truth, the fact that you are washing everything, including sleeping bag, really should be outing you.

Please reconsider keeping silent.

just the one that you stop at today should do it--once they help you be sure everything is washed/dried at the right temps you should be good to go. we stopped sewing a scarlet BB on pilgrim clothing a few years ago;) Good luck and I hope you do something nice for yourself after all of this work:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I thought that I possibly had bedbugs I told the hospitalera of the next albergue I stayed at immediately. She then took over. She had me empty everything from my pack. She gave me a large towel to wear whole she washed and dried everything that could go in the machines, and she put my pack in a plastic bag and sprayed it with some kind of repellant. I assumed that she had experience with the issue, and did what was necessary to keep the bugs out of her albergue.

So, don't worry about being turned away at the albergue. They have dealt with bedbugs many times.

Hi Everyone!

30 days to go for my next Camino and I just wanted to take the opportunity of this "fresh" Bed Bug Thread to ask if someone could point out to me the thread where you treat your gear before going to the Camino.

I had problems with BBs in all my Caminos but the first one (maybe there were not as many BBs 15-20 years ago? ) and decided I want to give treating my gear a try and see how it goes! Fingers Crossed!

Another pitfall is that I currently live in Brazil. I'm not sure if I can find the specific product everyone recommend (I'll sure try).

Thank you all!
;)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

30 days to go for my next Camino and I just wanted to take the opportunity of this "fresh" Bed Bug Thread to ask if someone could point out to me the thread where you treat your gear before going to the Camino.

I had problems with BBs in all my Caminos but the first one (maybe there were not as many BBs 15-20 years ago? ) and decided I want to try and treat my gear and see how it goes!

Another pitfall is that I currently live in Brazil. I'm not sure if I can find the specific product everyone recommend (I'll sure try).

Thank you all!
;)

Try asking for Permetrina, especially around farming and veterinary stores. Thoroughly soak and dry your pack and the outside of your sleeping bag . And read all the stuff in these pages on detection and avoidance.

The little buggers have been living off humans ever since we climbed down out of the trees (and were probably at it before then too). I don't think they are around in any greater numbers, it is just that we have this global communication network now. Something that you kept quiet about and just dealt with is a hot topic these days. My grandfather came home from the trenches, stripped to the buff in the yard and burned everything. Gran put the tub in the yard and he scrubbed himself down. The only comment from the neighbours was "you are back then Harry..."

it is just that we have this global communication network now. Something that you kept quiet about and just dealt with is a hot topic these days. My grandfather came home from the trenches, stripped to the buff in the yard and burned everything. Gran put the tub in the yard and he scrubbed himself down. The only comment from the neighbours was "you are back then Harry..."

Loved this point of view @Tincatinker !!! :D

About the permetrina. I cant remember but, do we have to dilute this with water or something? Or just use it the way it comes?

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the topic!

The sort of Permetrina / Permethrin sold for arachnid & bug control is usually in a 5 - 9% solution. I've never seen it in higher concentrations and suspect that you would need some form of professional licensing to use it at higher strengths.

Just spray / soak your stuff and dry it thoroughly. Keep it away from water sources / fish (and cats while wet apparently)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have used premetherin for years to combat mosquitos, and planned on treating everything before my Camino next year. However, I listened to the latest Camino podcast, and Dave interviewed a professor from Kentucky who indicated that premetherin did not work against bedbugs.

I didn't use it (nor bed bug sheets), and had no bed bug problems with 90 days of walking...maybe I'm lucky, maybe it's become worse the last few years, maybe walking Apr/May/Jun gets ahead of the problem (or walking less popular routes). Mosquitos will pass up all others in favor of me...I use DEET on me against them, and permethrin on my pants and socks for ticks when walking through brush.

a professor from Kentucky who indicated that premetherin did not work against bedbugs
Well, yes and no... his response was not quite this simple. However, he did indicate that he was doubtful that pre-treatment with permethrin would be a very effective strategy for pilgrims on the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try asking for Permetrina, especially around farming and veterinary stores. Thoroughly soak and dry your pack and the outside of your sleeping bag . And read all the stuff in these pages on detection and avoidance.

My grandfather came home from the trenches, stripped to the buff in the yard and burned everything. Gran put the tub in the yard and he scrubbed himself down. The only comment from the neighbours was "you are back then Harry..."
What, no pictures of granddad's show??

What, no pictures of granddad's show??
When I was walking from Finisterre to Muxia this year I met a couple from the far east who said they had bed bug bites, but they weren't doing anything about them as they are quite a normal thing and would eventually die off! This is how they spread!

Hi Maggie, Not sure if a previous post has suggested this because i haven't read them all but treating the clothes/sleeping bag etc..and putting them in a huge garbage bag and leaving them in the sun is just as effective as putting them in a dryer and quite a bit easier if the weather is good.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
... but treating the clothes/sleeping bag etc..and putting them in a huge garbage bag and leaving them in the sun is just as effective as putting them in a dryer and quite a bit easier if the weather is good.

Actually that is not correct. It takes far longer to achieve the high temperature necessary to kill the bugs and it is also far more hit and miss in monitoring this. Apart of all, it is October which, also on the CF, means a weaker sun. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.