A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Chinchon

2020 Camino Guides

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
Hello wise folks of the forum :)

I'm 50km South of Madrid in a town called Chinchon. I spotted some yellow arrows on a wall close to the church in the old town but can find no reference to a camino here? It's a fabulous old town... Is it on a route or are the arrows something very different?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I love these questions, gives me opportunities to find new caminos, which I really need like a hole in the head, but it is fun anyway.

This one has been hard to find, but I have found something on the website of the ayuntamiento of Navalperal de Pinares, about 120 km northwest of Chinchón and not on any well-known camino either. But on that website, there is a description of a route that comes from Valencia and goes through Chinchón-Valdemoro-Robledo (all towns mentioned in a written camino account from the 17th century), and another route that comes from Albacete through Toledo and Cebreros (all of these are on the Levante), which then arrives in Navalperal as well. So, though the focus of this website, logically, is to highlight the importance of Navalperal in Camino history, it does suggest that the route from Chinchón, if marked, would start in Valencia and pass through Navalperal. In Navalperal, the historical documents suggest that the peregrinos either got on what we know as the Camino de Madrid (through Coca, Simancas, Medina de Rioseco, Sahagún) or followed the Levante through Ávila.

Here’s a link to the website of Navalperal.

So, start walking @LesBrass! Buen camino, Laurie

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
Sadly neither of us like aniseed so we had to pass but the wine was just 80 cents a glass and my husband ordered a gin and tonic and it came in a half litre glass :oops:

Thanks for the link... Interesting read. It does kind of make sense that if you were coming from Valenca you would walk in the Chinchon direction. The town was important in roman times and was important for agriculture so it makes sense to have passing trade? Its really lovely countryside... Would be a fabulous walk. Perhaps its the missing camino linking the south to Madrid?

We're driving south today down to Malaga but my books are in the car and I imagine there will be walking over the next few weeks :cool:

15799921820153.jpg15800406454295.jpg15800406453592.jpg15799921824204.jpg15799921823863.jpg15799921823502.jpg15799921821257.jpg15799921820785.jpg15800406452871.jpg15800406454164.jpg

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
LesBrass, anis drinks are best as a tiny amount rolled on the tongue. Ohhh, gin and tonic is my fav hard drink! 😉

lindam

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, VDLP, Invierno, Portuguese, Madrid, Ingles, Fisterra, Muxia, Catalan/Aragones/Loyola Norte
Enjoy your travels, Colleen! Your timing is perfect in terms of having missed the crazy storm here in Spain that went on for several days last week.
Hope we can meet-up again one day.

laineylainey

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
started in 2012, hooked ever since.
Stayed in Chinchon many years ago, fabulous town with the most lovely parador. Restaurants in the plaza Major all have terraces to sit and eat and gaze down onto the square.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 52 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 185 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 297 24.4%
  • June

Votes: 86 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 349 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 149 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock