• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chiropractic vs Physio

Nezabudka

Time of past OR future Camino
СF 2018/2024
Hi all,
Hoping for your opinions.
I am off to my Camino in 7 weeks, training as often as I can. During trainings found out that I have an issue with my right hip, it starts hurting a lot after several Ks or on the second/third day. My physio suggests it's due to weak lower back muscles, thus others need to compensate and overwork. Ok, working on it - massages, acupuncture, exercises etc. - feels much better, not perfect though.
Decided to have a Chiro appt, never had one before. Very experienced, well-reviewed doctor... I kind of knew it's manipulative spine technique, but when he worked on my neck - freaked out - the sound and feeling was horrible... I understand, it's kind of normal...
But worried if it was a good idea to start a new treatment so close to my Camino, so I do not do worse... My body got used to specific physiotherapy care, but chiropractice seems to be something absolutely different.
I do no want to lose the current gain...
Will be happy to hear your experiences with chiropractics. Did it help or not?
Thanks a lot.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I can't answer your question re chiropractic but try some Pilates classes- the ones I go to is run by an (ex) physio who is adamant that if people did Pilates and the specific exercises she does for hips then there would be far fewer hip replacement operations. In fact maybe get a private lesson with a Pilates instructor to discuss your specific issue.

Chiros just manipulate - I can't see how that's going to fix weak muscles

Hi all,
I am off to my Camino in 7 weeks, training as often as I can. During trainings found out that I have an issue with my right hip, it starts hurting a lot after several Ks or on the second/third day. My physio suggests it's due to weak lower back muscles, thus others need to compensate and overwork. Ok, working on it - massages, acupuncture, exercises etc. - feels much better, not perfect though.
Decided to have a Chiro appt, never had one before. Very experienced, well-reviewed doctor... I kind of knew it's manipulative spine technique, but when he worked on my neck - freaked out - the sound and feeling was horrible... I understand, it's kind of normal...
But worried if it was a good idea to start a new treatment so close to my Camino, so I do not do worse... My body got used to specific physiotherapy care, but chiropractice seems to be something absolutely different.
Thanks a lot.

Never ever let a chiropractor manipulate your neck, this is dangerous. Stay with your physiotherapist.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you, lissie45, I do Pilates regularly :)
Chiro claims that part of my issues relates to chronic core muscles tension, that he can relieve somehow...
It's something very new to me and I am vey much confused...

MinaKamina, thanks. It's what comes up first when you research about risks. A lot of controversial information about this topic, I agree.

Thank you, lissie45, I do Pilates regularly :)
Chiro claims that part of my issues relates to chronic core muscles tension, that he can relieve somehow...
It's something very new to me and I am vey much confused...

Never heard of it either - but I was curious and went for a Google - found this http://www.treaotearoa.co.nz/about-2/core-release-exercises/ sounds a bit like you - that site has some videos with exercises - could be worth a look?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
MinaKamina, thanks. It's what comes up first when you research about risks. A lot of controversial information about this topic, I agree.

I would be very wary of this "chronic core muscles tension" too. Your physiotherapist has a diagnosis that seems straightforward and logical. Now someone else starts telling you that you have personal issues too? Happened to me in a different setting, and lo and behold, the assumed personal issues had no end, until I stopped the treatment. Btw I never got a clear idea what these tensions were all about, but They Were There and Needed Treatment! It took me months to get out of the confusion and see that this practitioner had been playing games with my mind.

I'd say: focus on your Camino, do your physio exercises and stay away from people who are after your mind and your money.

Oh, thank you Ladies. Now I even more confused, honestly :) The doctor never mentioned stress or personal issues, I assumed he meant just physical core muscles tension... Especially as I came to him after three hours in gym/pool ;)

Anyway, what makes me keep thinking about it... Lots of people find this method useful. (!?)
I'm just trying to figure out either it's just my prejudice and the fact, that I'm used to different techniques, trust other methods, or my fears are really of concern...

Oh, thank you Ladies. Now I even more confused, honestly :) The doctor never mentioned stress or personal issues, I assumed he meant just physical core muscles tension... Especially as I came to him after three hours in gym/pool ;)

Anyway, what makes me keep thinking about it... Lots of people find this method useful. (!?)
I'm just trying to figure out either it's just my prejudice and the fact, that I'm used to different techniques, trust other methods, or my fears are really of concern...

@Nezabudka , I don't think you need to be too worried. Chiropractic is a regulated profession in Australia and a reputable chiropractor will meet all the required standards for training and continuing education. That said, as @MinaKamina says, neck manipulation is controversial, so if you're worried that you might have been injured (especially if you have any pain that wasn't there before) you could see your GP for a check-up.

However - although I love my own chiropractor dearly and have had good results from her treatment of my back issues, I wouldn't advise going to anyone new so close to a Camino (chiro or otherwise) unless it's some kind of emergency. It sounds as though you have a good relationship with your physio already, and you mention that your body is used to that work, and that what you have been doing has helped if not fixed the issue entirely. My personal (totally non-expert) view would be to keep going with what your physio has suggested. It doesn't sound as though you have come to any harm by visiting the chiropractor, but in the interests of making sure you don't have any further surprises before your Camino, I would leave that at the one appointment and stick with the physio.

Good luck with the exercises, and Buen (pain-free-or-almost!) Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

:) The ability of people to perceive positive results based on a desire for something to work, or on being told that something has been successful is fairly astounding. It is one basis for the "placebo" effect. Personal anecdotes of effectiveness are not the same thing as objectively being able to find that something is actually effective. And this is aside from the fact that oftentimes there can be a naturally occurring spontaneous healing or resolution which coincides with alternative treatments, which gives the illusion that the treatments are effective.

Stick with the physio. :)

Hi all,
Thanks a lot.
I am a body work therapist (Shiatsu) which is gentle and effective and will not injure your neck or anything else, and certainly not pretend that it is something that it is not. However, what it sounds like is you are simply doing too much. REST! You are obviously really fit and the camino isn't that hard. You can always adjust your kms when you get to Spain if necessary. For now, listen to your body and ask yourself, honestly, are getting a good balance between activity and rest? The heart pumps and rests, so should we - in equal measure!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Stick with physio and take things easy. My feeling is that Chiro can "straighten things out," temporarily, but unless you build the muscles, things will become misaligned again in a short time.

Thank you for all your opinions, guys, it really helped.
I decided to have one more appt with Chiro, as I had it booked already, and ask him to focus just on my hip. Also will not blindly follow all recommendations and use my common sense and gut feeling, when hesitant.
Thank you for the encouragements :)
I agree, I'm a bit overwhelmed and feeling all the time that I may not be doing/training enough. I'm not that fit with desktop work five days a week... As I'm doing only 12 days of walking this time, I just feel I don't have time for error and trying to foresee whatever possible.

My chiro, my ortho, and my physical therapist are all wonderful. They each do different things and they work together very well. With their collective help, I am resolving my hip/knee issues so that I am ready for my camino in October. Good luck resolving your issues. If you decide to continue with chiro, I hope you will find a practitioner that you feel confident about.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Never ever let a chiropractor manipulate your neck, this is dangerous. Stay with your physiotherapist.

Hi

Pilates suggestion is a great idea. I wouldn't normally comment on such matters (chiropractic/physiotherapy) but so close to the event and mindful of the fact you are making progress with physio, I would plumb for staying put with physio.

Sicada123

Hi all,
Thanks a lot.

Hello,

I haven't read any of the other answers but as a Physio I can tell you that the best thing you can do is learn to manage your condition yourself. While passive treatments such as massage and acupuncture (and of course manipulation - also done by physios) are a lovely adjunct, nothing will beat a graded exercise program that targets the issue locally and also works on the stabilising muscles of your trunk.

This is not a quick fix and requires a decent level of compliance but the evidence suggests that this is the way to go. The effects of manipulation can feel great but will not last. You need to be strong in the right places for long lasting effect. A good Physio will explain this to you, give you exercises that are appropriate and increase them as you improve. They should also show you how to self manage for when you're on the road.

By all means, visit a Chiro if you enjoy it but remember that being treated my two different health professionals at the same time can muddy the waters in regards to your recovery. I would choose one modality and stick to it but keep in mind that the passive treatment won't be as long lasting and that you will need to manage yourself on the road.

I am probably biased but I know which modality I'd choose

Cheers,
T

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.