• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chiruca Dynamic 52 Gore-Tex

crazybunnylady

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to do my first camino in September 2018 starting from St. Jean Pied de Port
Hi everyone,

So... 3 months to go before my departure and I'm ready to buy the shoes but I stumbled upon a problem. I wanna find out some user reviews about this particular model (Chiruca Dynamic 52 Gore-Tex) but I only found results in Spanish and sadly I do not understand this language. Only very few in English but they were not in such details, more like general. So my question is, does anyone have any insight regarding those shoes?
My other option would be Zamberlan 996 Vioz GTX WL (Vibram 3D Hydrobloc).
I'm doing Camino Frances in Sept/Oct, if it should be relevant.

Any help or insight is appreciated! Thank you! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No experience with that model. I also don't speak Spanish but do use Google Chrome browser's automatic machine translation of Spanish sites into English. You might want to give that a try to unlock the essence of those Spanish language reviews. If that's not the browser you prefer to use then you can simply copy all the reviews and paste them into a translate.google.com page in the browser you do use and you can have the Spanish machine translated into English in that way. It is also possible to just copy the URL address for the page containing the reviews into translate.google.com and you will get an English version of the page.

I'm not sure I would trust Google's translation of instructions to defuse a bomb or perform brain surgery, but it wouldn't stress me out to rely on the translation of some product reviews. Seems to me it does a reasonable job of translating Spanish into English, although it's noticeably less successful with some other languages.

I would be happy to help with a translation or two, but when I googled the model, I saw that this is a real hiking boot. IMO, that is way too much shoe for the Camino Francés. Take a look at this thread about trail runners (lots and lots of shoemakers make a model or several). @davebugg's comments in that thread are extremely helpful and based on facts.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/post-camino-shoe-observations.55569/

Altra trail runners are now the most popular shoe on the Pacific Coast Trail and the John Muir trail. If hard core wilderness walkers have learned that a heavy boot is an impediment on the terrain they walk on, I would say that a boot is generally not a good choice for the Camino Francés, which has a lot of asphalt, and tons of crushed rock paths.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If wearing trail runners instead of boots, is there something that I could use to support a bad ankle?

If wearing trail runners instead of boots, is there something that I could use to support a bad ankle?
Hi, sunwanderer,
Check out this thread. Apparently, high shoes do not do anything to protect ankles anyway, though we all think they do. Looks like an ankle brace is the only thing that will help.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...er-looking-for-suggestions.55672/#post-623758

An excerpt from the post, but I recommend that you read the entire thing.
The only sure ankle support for medically indicated need are ankle braces which can fit inside of the shoe. Despite anecdotal evidence and subjective opinion to the contrary, research has repeatedly shown that boots do not provide the level of stiffness and the shear rigidity needed to keep ankles free from injury.

Hi, sunwanderer,
Check out this thread. Apparently, high shoes do not do anything to protect ankles anyway, though we all think they do. Looks like an ankle brace is the only thing that will help.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...er-looking-for-suggestions.55672/#post-623758

An excerpt from the post, but I recommend that you read the entire thing.
The only sure ankle support for medically indicated need are ankle braces which can fit inside of the shoe. Despite anecdotal evidence and subjective opinion to the contrary, research has repeatedly shown that boots do not provide the level of stiffness and the shear rigidity needed to keep ankles free from injury.

Thanks for the link - I will buy one and try it out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I am interested in the discussion regarding Trail Runners/Walking shoes/Boots. In the past I have worn good quality top brand walking boots and shoes. With the advent of increasing birthdays I have found my feet have changed quite considerably. What have been comfortable in the past are not any longer. I have Morton's pnuroma in both feet and a couple of joined toes on both feet. Wearing sandals I have been able to observe the movement of my toes whilst walking. My toes act differently on each foot. The most comfortable shoes I have found for walking are New Balance 860V7 running shoes in both 2E and 4E widths in a one size up from my measured foot length. The same brand and size I used to run marathons in. I would like to ask the experienced walkers how they cope with walking in trail shoes that breath wonderfully well but are not waterproof. The shoes dry well but the footbeds not as fast. Do they carry a couple of spare pairs of footbeds or do they have more ingenious tactics. Thanks for your patience.
Stewpot

Hi, I am interested in the discussion regarding Trail Runners/Walking shoes/Boots. In the past I have worn good quality top brand walking boots and shoes. With the advent of increasing birthdays I have found my feet have changed quite considerably. What have been comfortable in the past are not any longer. I have Morton's pnuroma in both feet and a couple of joined toes on both feet. Wearing sandals I have been able to observe the movement of my toes whilst walking. My toes act differently on each foot. The most comfortable shoes I have found for walking are New Balance 860V7 running shoes in both 2E and 4E widths in a one size up from my measured foot length. The same brand and size I used to run marathons in. I would like to ask the experienced walkers how they cope with walking in trail shoes that breath wonderfully well but are not waterproof. The shoes dry well but the footbeds not as fast. Do they carry a couple of spare pairs of footbeds or do they have more ingenious tactics. Thanks for your patience.
Stewpot

Hi does anybody have any ideas/tactics re Trail shoes and tips for keeping the inners dry.
For some reason my post got shunted off piste before folks had time to look at it. Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.