• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choice: early OR late September?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I have a flight booked for arrival to Madrid on 29 September, and I had planned on beginning my Camino Frances from SJPP on 30 September. Today, however, an interesting opportunity presents itself!

I had been holding September open for my stepdaughter's nuptials, which she (unfortunately for me, ha ha!) had initially planned for 26 September. Sigh. So I booked my flight for 28 September, thinking...well, it could be wet, it could be cold, but let's aim for a primarily October walk. God--and you all!-- knows that I'd love to hop a plan tomorrow, but I'm a full-time English teacher (don't laugh at that; I know I make mistakes too, right?) and I retire in June...and then, all my family is coming for a reunion in July--which is not a great time for me to walk the camino, mild recluse that I am (but great at a party, just need two glasses of wine and I'll be singing).

SO! and here's the query: what do you think? I have good flight insurance, and am very, very tempted to depart 10 September, and get an 18-day jump on my walk. What do you think? Earlier in September, or aim for later, as it is booked now?

I love hot weather, and it could still be warm on the Meseta in September, right? but also in early October?

Waiting eagerly to hear from you experienced walkers < 3 And love and thank you in advance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know what the weather will be like, but regardless it is likely to be warmer in early September than later. It depends on what you want. But I shall miss the chance to get to know you, as I have booked my flight to arrive in Madrid the same day as you. It is your camino. "Walk your own camino" seems to be the motto of this forum.

Albertagirl, thank you for sharing this information, as I do like you very much, and your input is important to me, and very kind! Just seeing you decked out in your hiking gear makes me profoundly happy. I recognize you as a friend.

When I was in Vietnam--many years ago--in a place called Dalaat, where the boats have eyes and French cooking mingles with Buddhist-style temples, I met a kind young men who told me of a saying that goes something like, "I would know you from a distance". I've thought of that many times over the years: my father's large, limping gait--a serious car accident rendered him absolutely recognizable from a distance; my husband's loping slender stride; my niece's mincing gait and swinging, long hair.

I think I would know you from a distance : ) I truly am amazed at my friendships on this forum. I feel like I kind of "get" so many people. SYates, and her packing genius; Dougfitz and his wry sense of humor bordering on somethin somethin; Doc Arn with his amazing life experiences and helpful DOC IS IN about darn near everything; and so many others...such a welcoming place.

All things are taken into consideration....all things, and all! I would know you from a distance, Albertagirl.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I left SJPP on September 9 and slowly made my way to SdC arriving on October 21. The biggest difference (besides a couple of decidedly warm days at the beginning) was the change in light. At the beginning I began walking about 7:15, a good time for me. That changed to 7:30, still ok. By the time I arrived I wasn't really comfortable starting out until about 8:15 which was later than I liked. If I had not left home without my headlamp, it wouldn't have made such a difference. I just didn't feel comfortable in the dark for fear I'd stumble. That may be unique to me as my balance isn't the best.

I'm a little confused by your explanation - Did the wedding date change? In any case, I have walked 3-week caminos twice, both times beginning in mid- to late- October, and I'm going in October-November again in 2015. It's a great time to walk. It's true that the days are shorter, but they are long enough to walk as far as I want, and I don't start walking before it gets light. Keep in mind that September is one of the busiest months of all.

I began walking Sept. 6 for my Camino, finished Oct. 9th. Both I and my companions felt that if we did it again, we'd go closer to the end of Sept., simply to avoid some of the heat. True you'll have less daylight hours, but also more hours that are conducive to walking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks very much for the comments. Okay. So, as the day has evolved: I think I am going to be sticking with the 9/28 departure. Initially, the daughter's wedding was going to be 9/26, but today she planned to push it to 9/5. Now, she is aiming for 9/19. I am NOT going to tinker with changing ticketing for a nine-days difference, and as long as we are going to be having the wonderful excitement and work of a wedding (yeah, I'm the logistics person!), I think I'll just take a deep breath and stop trying to get an earlier start.

As it is, it's likely that I'll do this camino--God willing--successfully, and enjoy it, and then aim for another one in May of 2016. I wonder how many people have started planning a second camino before the first one has been accomplished. What is wrong with me ? :)

I started Sept 26 and arrived in sdc Oct 31st. Took 4 days off along the walk at major towns, Burgos, leon etc.
It is warmer during the days for sure. Your timing is good. You might experience more rain towards the end of October in Galicia.
Overall October is the best time for CF.
Already planning your next Camino means you expect to have lot of free time. Why not. Buen camino.

I started Sept 26 and arrived in sdc Oct 31st. Took 4 days off along the walk at major towns, Burgos, leon etc.
It is warmer during the days for sure. Your timing is good. You might experience more rain towards the end of October in Galicia.
Overall October is the best time for CF.
Already planning your next Camino means you expect to have lot of free time. Why not. Buen camino.

I am happy to have much free time. I am retiring in about three months, and I plan to travel overseas at the very least once per year. I love traveling!

When I was younger, I did a fair amount of traveling around the USA. In my friend group, I had the best job, a new car, and was fastidious about upkeep on that car. That meant .....road trips! I was glad that as a very young woman, I was able to enjoy amazing freedom on the open road. We most often went to my father's state, California. We travelled up and down the coast route, stopping off to see the California Redwoods, and continuing south, camping along the way. We became the main attraction at Yosemite National Park when we would raft down Wawona Creek on inflated mattresses! Once, I found a baby robin struggling in the rapids, and she rode on my finger through the whitewater, to the amusement of several mature adults, who were probably looking on to make sure that we didn't drown!

Anyway, the best times are times when the unexpected can occur...when you can help someone get through an issue, or feed someone, or laugh really hard, so hard that you cry. Or when you cry, having had the same issues, losses, feelings...and the songs. Yes, Traveling is the best! I expect to have a lot of free time to travel, and am willing to do what it takes to do it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome back. Once again, I look forward to meeting you as we begin at the same time.

Albertagirl, are you flying or taking a train to Pamplona? I'm kind of thinking train....Just think I'd like to do that.

Welcome back. Once again, I look forward to meeting you as we begin at the same time.

Also, I'm spending the night at Corazon Puro on the 29th. They will pick me (or you, or anyone) up from plane, train, et cetera, then they offer a good meal, lodging, and a taxi ride to SJPP the following morning. I will spend the day and the night of the 30th in SJPP, as I very much want a look around there. Then, Camino starts--for me--on the 1st of October!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

And if you are interested, we could do the Pyrenees walk together...up to you, of course, and let's see how we go. You may be walking on the 30th, I don't know yet! But if you are interested, I'd be happy to buddy up with you. My plan now is to do the route over the top, but I'm happy to do the alternate route if weather looks iffy. I do have an initial plan to stay at Orisson, so that I can break up that first day. Anyway, just so you know what my plan is, and if you and I do a bit of walking together, entirely my pleasure. Ha ha, we can pull out rosaries if it is too much, right?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
"And if you are interested, we could do the Pyrenees walk together...up to you, of course, and let's see how we go. You may be walking on the 30th, I don't know yet! But if you are interested, I'd be happy to buddy up with you. My plan now is to do the route over the top, but I'm happy to do the alternate route if weather looks iffy. I do have an initial plan to stay at Orisson, so that I can break up that first day. Anyway, just so you know what my plan is, and if you and I do a bit of walking together, entirely my pleasure. Ha ha, we can pull out rosaries if it is too much, right?"

I have sent you an invitation for a private conversation.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back