• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choices from Amsterdam

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
I have already started my camino to Santiago with day trips in the Netherlands. Now walking the 'Pelgrimspad 1' from Amsterdam to Den Bosch. Doubting about what to do next:

1) Den Bosch - Namur (Via Monastica)
2) Den Bosch - Maastricht/Visé - Namur (Pelgrimspad 2 and Via Mosana)

The rest of the route will (probably) be Namur - Vezelay - St Jean Pied de Port - Santiago de Compostela.

Still doubting about the two options. First to Visé and then to Namur is a big detour. But I heard that the route from Den Bosch to the Dutch/Belgian border is not marked. Anyone who could give me advice? Am interested in experiences with documentation, marked routes and places to sleep and eat. Which one would be the best option?

Thanks in advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Luka,

I am on the Belgian routes as well on day or week-end trips for the moment.

As to your question, just this : I walked on the Pelgrims pad 2 from Maastricht to Liège last Sunday on a beautiful sunny day.
And the way was marked from Maastricht onwards (starting at Vrijthof). I was glad to have a guide book with me, but could have probably found my way without it.
I used the "topo-guide du sentier - VIA MOSANA" from the amis de saint jacques Belgique. Which is in French, but I am nearly sure you would find it in Dutch from the flemish friends.

In Holland, the way was mostly along minor roads through small villages.
And after Visé most ways were small walking paths through nature.

To sleep, well, I didn't need a bed, but if you can walk from Maastricht till Liège (must be about 36 km in all, which is not nothing), there is a youth hostel in the center of Liège. And there seem to be accomodation in Visé as well (sports hall as well as private)

Buen camino, goede reis !

FatmaG

Luka said:
But I heard that the route from Den Bosch to the Dutch/Belgian border is not marked.
according to the Genootschaap http://www.compostelagenootschap.be/default.aspx?id=512 the Monastica in NL is indeed not yet marked. However, for most of the route (as far as Vessem) it uses the Pelgrimspad, which would only leave a dozen or so km. If you have the guide, I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Peter and Fatma

Thanks for your replies! I now understand that there is a little guide for Den Bosch - Rocroi. With a description and maps it seems O.K. also without marked routes. And you are right, Vessem is not that far from the border.

Now first finish my day trips to Den Bosch!

Luka

Thanks, lovingkindness!

I now need six more walking days to end up in Vught (near Den Bosch) from where I can move on to the Via Monastica to Rocroi. Although the winter season is starting, I want to try to speed it up a little...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm really interested in hearing more about this route.

It seems I spoke with someone last year about renting/buying a bicicyle to do the Pelgrimstad, then selling it and continuing to Santiago on foot. Has anyone done this?

How many days would it take to leisurely walk or bike the Pelgrimstad?
What are the options for renting a bike for this trip?

Are there any guidebooks in English one could suggest?

If anyone wants to try this....just an idea - why not buy a cheap old bike in a market and give it away when you're finished. You only have to leave it unlocked and it'll be gone!

When I worked in Holland and wanted to get rid of my old bike, I put it outside a bar, went and had a beer, and watched it be taken inside 20 mins!

This is a great idea, Caminando, and probably what would work best for me.
I laughed when I read this because it was exactly what I was thinking!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Luka,

I just walked some 30 km between Namur and Godinne on the Belgian part.
Wanted to let you know that there are +- 3 km VERY hard to go.
(if you follow the 'topo-guide' from the French association (des randonneurs) GR 654) : from the belvedere de la Sibérie (just after Bois-de-Villers) towards Rivière.

Not because of the snow, but because there are so many trees fallen in autumn.
Not always possible to go around them, because the path is on a very steep wood parcel - you have to climb over them, creep underneath them or try to get through the trunks. I had to throw my sticks and backpack several times ahead to be able to continue. (useless to say that after that exercise, I looked like a troll)

The picture joined was at the beginning of it - it's getting worse. But at that time, no moods to take pictures any more.

Another information : there is a small monastery in Malonne (close to Namur and 1,5 km off camino) - I stayed there for the night. The sisters are very welcoming and glad to have pilgrims with them.

Buen camino and first of all : all the best for 2011!

Attachments

• LaHulle.jpg
    LaHulle.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 3,865
Dear Fatma, thanks so much for your information. So you've had quite a hard time there I understand. The Camino is no royal road... It will take some time for me to get there, because I am still stuck in the Netherlands. Awaiting spring, more or less...

Anniesantiago said:
I'm really interested in hearing more about this route.

It seems I spoke with someone last year about renting/buying a bicicyle to do the Pelgrimstad, then selling it and continuing to Santiago on foot. Has anyone done this?

How many days would it take to leisurely walk or bike the Pelgrimstad?
What are the options for renting a bike for this trip?

Are there any guidebooks in English one could suggest?
I am walking the first part of the Pelgrimspad (Amsterdam - Den Bosch) right now. On foot it will take 10 tot 12 days if you don't want to walk too much per day. By bike you probably have to use quite some alternative routes, because part of the path is on sand and grass.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tell me what you would like to know Anniesantiago

The Pelgrimspad is for example like this:

file114781479.jpg

Or this:

file115039973.jpg

Nice, but not quite possible by bike ;-)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Important information for people on that way :

http://grsentiers.org/grchang.htm#gr126

It is in French describing an alternative way which was put up to avoid the stretch between Bois-le-Villers and Riviere in the woods of La Hulle because impassable.

Another information : In the monastery of Leffe (close to Dinant), you can sleep (and share the prayers with the monks). Great moment! From March, April onward, you should make a reservation.
Phone : +32 (0)82 22 23 77
Mail : secretariat@abbaye-de-leffe.be

Buen camino!

Anniesantiago said:
Now the question is what time of year...

The end of May, the beginning of June is a good time to enjoy nature, but also later in the year, July, August and Septembre are good to walk this .
It is never too hot, there is always wind, sometimes rainy and never it is crowded!
Even in wintertime we walked parts of it.

Jan Brilleman

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Tomorrow I will start with my first six days walk along the Via Monastica! I completed the Pelgrimspad I (Amsterdam - Den Bosch) with mostly day trips. The coming six days I will walk from Vught (near Den Bosch) to Diest (in Belgium). About 130 km. It will be the first time to experience the 'pilgrims feeling'. Two nights I will sleep in real monastries!

Hi
I realise this is an old topic, but I would like to find out about accommodation in Holland.
I'm walking on Pilgrimage from Scotland, we are at present walking the coastal paths to the nearest ferry which is Newcastle to Amsterdam. We shall then walk Pelgrimspad 1 & 2 in Holland , then Namur - Vezely etc.
I cannot find many hostels so do we need a tent and is it allowed to rough camp ?

Also I have the Pelgrimspad guides in Dutch and can't find an English translation does it exist ?

thanks for any help

Alan

hi alan jamieson

I suggest you contact the Dutch equivalent of CSJ - some years ago they ran a list of homestays on their website, ppl along the route who made rooms available for pilgrims - sort of private B & Bs

their office is open most afternoons I recall. Am sure they'll be able to help you

Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob,
Huis van Sint Jacob,
Janskerkhof 28A,
3512 BN Utrecht.
Telefoonnummer 030 – 231 53 91
Faxnummer 030 – 231 82 81
e-mail info@santiago.nl
website http://www.santiago.nl

buen camino
Peter

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Alan,

I just looked up the appropriate page on the above website. To give you an idea here is a map with the locations:

http://www.santiago.nl/kaart_adressen_nederland.php

You must be a member of the Dutch organization to receive the addresses. From what I understand the accommodations are in the homes of experienced Pelgrims. Sorry can't help as I am not a member.

Another possibility is Vrienden op de Fiets (Bicycle Friends) http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/. It is an organization which provides reasonably prized accommodation to hikers or bicyclers. It costs E8 to become a member. As a member you get a list of people who offer their home. This could be a few beds to several rooms. The price is E19.00 per person including breakfast. I spent 2 long week-ends walking the Pieterpad (runs north-south through The Netherlands) and we used this list. Accomodations were fine but I found it quite expensive compared to the Camino Francés where I spent an average of E6 per night!

As far as I know there is no English translation for the guides for the Pelgrimpad 1 & 2.

This is all I know. Maybe someone else from The Netherlands can give you further help.

Good luck!

LT

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ready for my next steps! A five days walk from Diest to Dinant. Very luxury with only (pre-booked) B&B's on the way. So no sleeping bag or towel in my pack! Only 8 kilo including 1,5 litres of water.

Last test before a bigger Camino. In August I hope to walk from Dinant to Vézelay in about 30 days.

30 days from Dinant to Vézélay gives you plenty of time. In 2006 I walked it in 23 days (sometimes accomodation was quite hard to find, so some days were longer than I would have liked them to be :( ). Plan for days of rest in Reims and Auxerre, they are both beautiful towns and I still remember the weekday evening masses in the cathedrals.

I already expected that 30 days would be more than enough. Maybe I arrive earlier, at least I like to have time on my side. A rest day in Reims I will certainly plan. Perhaps Auxerre as well, but I can imagine that - so close to Vézelay - I want to walk on then. We'll see. And yes, I am a little worried about finding places to sleep.

Just got back from my Diest - Dinant walk. It was certainly nice, but a bit boring. A lot along one single path (RAVeL 2) and along the river Meuse.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Luka said:
I am a little worried about finding places to sleep.

Just got back from my Diest - Dinant walk. It was certainly nice, but a bit boring. A lot along one single path (RAVeL 2) and along the river Meuse.

Sorry to hear it was a bit boring, Luka.
You could switch over to the GR 654 (which they call as well "chemin de saint jacques"...) - all but boring, I must say.
Anyway, you will soon leave "la Meuse" and follow other paths ...

Don't worry too much about finding a place to sleep.
I am just back from my next step (Reims to Troyes) - following an alternative way to the GR (by the association RP51). Beautiful, lonely, peaceful, and I found every day a place to stay.
(but sometimes I called in the morning or even the day before to ask - this seems the "must do" in France; although I do not appreciate at all to have to planify my day in advance...)

Their little booklet is available in the cathedral in Reims (in Dutch as well) - but if you have plenty of time to get to Vézelay, perhaps a shorter way doesn't interest you...

Caminando said:
From Vezelay you will find refuges.

http://www.vezelay-compostelle.eu

Notice/attention ..... that's the Voie de Vezelay route(s) and herbergements.
There are also a lot of pelgrims which take the chemin Vezelay-le Puy en Velay through the beautiful Morvan. Well signed as it follows the GR13 and after Bourbon-lancy the GR3 to LePuy.
Paul

Starting in Amsterdam on September 1st , a month on Pelgrimspad 1 & 2 down to Belgium, France and Spain next year if the knees hold out. I hope the weather is kind as I think we shall have to camp a lot !

Alan from Scotland

Just got back from 3,5 weeks on the Camino. Walked Dinant - Auxerre (mainly GR 654) and it was wonderful! Sometimes boring landscape and I had a very rainy first week, but I enjoyed it very much!

@Fatma Have you moved on since Troyes already?
@Paulus, I am planning to continue through te Morvan (heading for Le Puy en Velay) next year
@Alan, that sounds nice! Have you heard of the alternative instead of Pelgrimspad 2? I did the Via Monastica from Den Bosch to the border of France.

Luka said:
@Paulus, I am planning to continue through te Morvan (heading for Le Puy en Velay) next year.

You're welcome in the refugio in La Rue Perrin (gehucht in Chastellux sur Cure)

refugiobahia.jpg

Paul

Thanks Paul, looks good! Ik kom volgend jaar graag langs!

Thanks Luka,

I have only just heard of the other route, Via Monastica, and I have only the guide books for Pelgrimspad 2 and Via Mosana, never mind , I leave tomorrow, buen camino to other pilgrims in the Nederlands, I hope to meet some op de weg.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino! Can we follow you somewhere?

@ Luca

I am still "stuck" in Troyes - I walked the Piémont Route this summer (Mediterranean to Atlantic) but would still like to reach Vézelay this fall...
So, you arrived in Auxerre...
Mostly via Gr you say (so not boring ways any more...).
(will go and have a look on your pictures to see what is waiting for me ;) )
Best regards!

Fatma

Hello

Well I have just finished one month of pilgrimage, Pelgrimspad 1 & 2 and then Via Mosana, storms to start the month then hot sun to finish ! It was wonderful, we camped in Holland as accommodation near the route seems hard to find, but in Belgium some of the friends of St Jaques provide very friendly welcomes, met many good people.
Back to Namur next year for the next stage.

Hi Luka. I am just wandering if you are the guy I met in the train on October 23th coming back from Postal. Just curious.

Can't be. I am a woman ;-)

Hope to move on from Auxerre in september. Three more weeks along my camino. Looking forward to it!

Where are you 'stuck' now, Fatma?

Luka said:
Where are you 'stuck' now, Fatma?

Well, still in Troyes to tell you the truth.
And won't continue this year: I will partly be on the Voie d'Arles, and then continue a GR over the Pyrenees.
I guess I need to find out the difference between a hiking tour and a Camino of Saint James...

So, Luka, you will go towards Le Puy?
It must be great, have a good time and buen camino!

FatmaG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The difference between hiking and a pilgrimage is a bit hard to capture in a definition, isn't it?
And yes, can't wait to continue! Won't reach Le Puy this September though. I hope to get to Montbrison (which is about 100 kms before Le Puy).

Well I have now done the next stage of my pilgrimage, Namur to Vézelay using mainly the Pelerin 51 booklet, it was wonderful, very hospitable but a little lacking in morning coffee stops !

All of you are further on and I am going to start at the beginning! Since it is going to be a beautiful, sunny day tomorrow and I live a mere 35 km south of Amsterdam, I thought that it was about time to start the Pelgrimspad. Stage 1 is 24 km.

A bit short notice but if there is anyone in the area that wants to join me tomorrow or during any of the other stages (on a Saturday or Sunday) just let me know. I have no set plans for the following stages, I guess it depends on the weather forcast.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Alan,
did you follow thus Reims - Troyes and Troyes - Vézelay?
What about the second part from Troyes onwards?
Accomodation, paths, waymarking (well as to waymarking, there won't be one probably, but perhaps some way description? when I left, there were none of these)
I hesitate whether to switch to the GR or not... the day I'll continue that camino.
FatmaG

Hey Ria,

Sorry but I haven't been on the forum for a week or so. If the weather forecast is good (i.e. dry) I will be starting off this Sunday with my 5th Stage (I am not following the book exactly as the stages are sometimes quite short) from Reeuwijkse Hout (over the dikes through the Reeuwijkse Plassen).

Send me a PM or e-mail me if you would like to join me.

Ik hoor graag van je!
Groet,
Lee

Hi FatmaG

Sorry I have not replied sooner, away walking in Crete !
Yes we did Riems-Troyes-Vezelay, at Riems cathedral we went to the desk of : http://www.randonneurs-pelerins.com and bought threir guide to the alternative route RP51, this is waymarked some of the way but not hard to follow. We used their chaine d'hospitalite and some free municipal refuges .
Please ask for any more information , and buen camino

Alan

Thank you!
Just one more question:
So from Troyes to Vezelay you made your own way with a map and walked mostly or partly on roads - following the towns they propose? (as I see on their web site, they still did not finish the description from Troyes onwards?)
Bon chemin!

PS walking in Crete... must be great

Hi

For the section after Troyes although a proper guide book was not available , at Riems we got a sheet of paper with the main information on it which was good enough, I think it is the basis of the guide book they are still working on. You might buy the guides online in advance, I bought the section before Riems from them before we left , then got the rest at the Cathedral. We had a good walk and because the Pilgrim 51 route is shorter ended after Vezelay at Nevers ( handy for the train back ) .Planning to do Nevers to Saint Jean Pied de Port next September.
Crete was interesting and sunny !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I'm from Amsterdam & planning to walk the Northern route in a few months' time, starting directly from Santander (rather than from NL!) due to lack of time. If anyone's up for training together in the Netherlands or has tips on interesting walks nearby, please let me know! Dank u wel

Hi @rainalready

Good that you revived this old thread. I was a much more frequent visitor back then but saw the title of the thread in my daily e-mail and thought that I would take a look.

I am in Oegstgeest (naast Leiden) so send me a PM (conversation it is called now) if interested in joining me on a walk. I haven't picked up part two of the Pelgrimspad (as of Den Bosch) as it is just too far from here for a days walk including transportation. Walking in the dunes in Wassenaar, Katwijk or Noordwijk is great though. Enough coastline to get in a few training km.

Let me know.

Groet,
LT

Thanks for your replies! I now understand that there is a little guide for Den Bosch - Rocroi.
Luka, reopening this ancient thread to find if you or anyone in Holland has updated or first-hand information. Is this available anywhere, now?
Wikiloc track, but I am wondering if there is a specific marked route.

Walking in early April from DB to intersect the VM in Vessum - so that is the section in question. For the rest of the VM there are guides. (From here I can't access them but that's another story!)
@LTfit, @Purky ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @VNwalking
The Pelgrimspad part 2 starts in Den Bosch and continues to Visé (goes through Vessum). Here is a link to the guide:
https://www.anwb.nl/webwinkel/p/10556/law-7-2-wandelgids-pelgrimspad

I walked part one on various Sundays and 2 weekends from Amsterdam to Den Bosch back in 2014. I had wanted to continue but in the end I was spending more time traveling (left car at start of the stage and used public transportation to get back) than walking!

Although the guide is in Dutch, the maps are probably sufficient. I found the route well marked.

Let me know if you need more info. There are blogs of people who have walked although once again in Dutch.

Last edited:
Luka, reopening this ancient thread to find if you or anyone in Holland has updated or first-hand information. Is this available anywhere, now?
Wikiloc track, but I am wondering if there is a specific marked route.

@LTfit, @Purky ?
The most recent information (GPS-tracks, accomodation) can be found on the website of the Flemisch fraternity of St. James.
Although the website is in Dutch, the download section for the GPS-tracks is easy enough to understand. So is the accomodation list.

Wow. I go away for a few hours and answers have already arrived!

Brilliant, thanks so much for that link, @LTfit . It was the missing piece.

And thank you André - I do have those links, but it is very reassuring to know that they are the right ones!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
VN,
If you are planning on walking the VM in Belgium is there any possibility of your crossing at Rocroi into France?
See/read more here

Happy planning.

Last edited:
If you are planning on walking the VM in Belgium is there any possibility of your crossing at Rocroi into France?
Thank you Margaret!
That (we hope) will come to pass! It depends on whether our legs still work after all this time.

If we get that far So it's a decision for a bit later -- though frankly I am strongly leaning more towards Paris. Then, even later...How to choose between going via Chartres or Orleans - in terms of the route, is there any difference that makes one preferable over the other in your mind? Left to my own devices I would choose Chartres (obviously for the cathedral) but one person here whose opinion I value chose Orleans and was very happy with that. Gathering knowlegeable opinions....

Thank you Margaret!
That (we hope) will come to pass! It depends on whether our legs still work after all this time.

If we get that far So it's a decision for a bit later -- though frankly I am strongly leaning more towards Paris. Then, even later...How to choose between going via Chartres or Orleans - in terms of the route, is there any difference that makes one preferable over the other in your mind? Left to my own devices I would choose Chartres (obviously for the cathedral) but one person here whose opinion I value chose Orleans and was very happy with that. Gathering knowlegeable opinions....
Here is more info for pondering. Also there is much planned for Paris this summer. Happy planning.

PS. If you have never visited Vezelay that is a must; it is such a grand monument of faith and architecture in the French countryside. For the last 60 years or so I have loved this interior. Romanesque, Gothic, and 19th century intervention form timeless beauty; eternal peace is combined with man-made perfection.

Last edited:
Others were faster than I was 😁
I think I used a Belgian booklet at that time, but don't recall well...

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.