• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing a camino starting mid-September.

Rich1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (5/15)
Frances & Muxia (2016-18)
Camino from Madrid (9/18)
Frances to Burgos (9/19)
TBC
I have a few weeks spare, starting mid-September.
Would love to spend it on a camino. Did the Frances last year, and in May this year I did walked from SJPP to Burgos with my wife (we'll be back next May to do some more). I love the Frances or do I pick a different one?
Which camino would people choose to do starting about Sept 18/19? Which one is likely to have the best e.g. warmest/dryest weather? - would really like a decent chance of some pleasant, at least (!), weather.
Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Would love to spend it on a camino. Did the Frances last year, and in May this year I did walked from SJPP to Burgos with my wife (we'll be back next May to do some more). I love the Frances or do I pick a different one?
Which camino would people choose to do starting about Sept 18/19? Which one is likely to have the best e.g. warmest/dryest weather? - would really like a decent chance of some pleasant, at least (!), weather.
Cheers
Hi There. I'm doing the Frances from SJPP, arriving Sep 18 and starting 19/20, depending on my ability to get a reservation at Orisson. If you decide to start from SJPP again, I'd at least LOVE to talk to you and benefit from your experience. I'm a first timer and an 'old dog' learning new tricks.

Hi There. I'm doing the Frances from SJPP, arriving Sep 18 and starting 19/20, depending on my ability to get a reservation at Orisson. If you decide to start from SJPP again, I'd at least LOVE to talk to you and benefit from your experience. I'm a first timer and an 'old dog' learning new tricks.

Will keep you informed :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are starting the 22nd and have already reserved space at Orisson. It will be four of us, my wife and myself, our daughter and her husband and it is our first Camino albeit our daughter and son-in-law did it for a short trek last year and it lit the fire in them to return. I have a good feeling about a September start for our journey. We are also celebrating our wedding anniversaries respectively. My wife and I ... 46 years ; daughter and her husband their 14th.
We will enjoy the cooler weather only because we get enough of the hot weather in Florida throughout the year, it will be a refreshing change. We are excited, I think we will find out a lot about ourselves during the course of our journey. We are leaving all electronic devices at home, this alone should be a cleansing experience. We wish all Buen Camino and hope we can meet some if not all of you along the way !

Last edited:
Cheers

Hi
Be adventurous!
Walk the Rota Vicentina http://en.rotavicentina.com/
Then bus up to Porto, and walk from there to Santiago.
Jill

Don't know how much time you have ,but would recommend The Camino de Madrid. Check the forum and you'll find lots of nice comments about it...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Don't know how much time you have ,but would recommend The Camino de Madrid. Check the forum and you'll find lots of nice comments about it...

Thanks Giorgio - hadn't considered that one

Hi
Be adventurous!
Walk the Rota Vicentina http://en.rotavicentina.com/
Then bus up to Porto, and walk from there to Santiago.
Jill

Hi Jill
The Rota Vicentina looks fab
A few quick questions:
What's the weather like at that time of year?
What's the terrain like - mainly off road I presume? Hilly?
How do you get to the start?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jill
The Rota Vicentina looks fab
A few quick questions:
What's the weather like at that time of year?
What's the terrain like - mainly off road I presume? Hilly?
How do you get to the start?

Hi
Mid-September should be perfect walking weather.

Yes, off road most of the time, and, yes, hilly a lot of the time.

See this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/from-cabo-de-s%C3%A3o-vicente-using-rota-de-vicentina-facilities.36220/#post-391128

Jill

I don't know how much time you have exactly but your starting date would be a great one for the Vía de la Plata. If you can't walk it all this time, you could continue another year from wherever you end this year...

I don't know how much time you have exactly but your starting date would be a great one for the Vía de la Plata. If you can't walk it all this time, you could continue another year from wherever you end this year...
Yes, that was definitely one of the options :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi
If you are relatively fit, I would also recommend the Primitivo. I walked in Sept/Oct 2014 and it was a wonderful experience. I started in Irun on del Norte as I had plenty of time. Alternatively you could walk a section of the Northern Route. I found both routes wonderful. BTW I will be walking from St Jean leaving on 17 September and walking for 12 days. Buen Camino

You will be just behind myself and a friend, also 'old dogs'! We start on 17th and have already made a reservation at Orisson.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi
If you are relatively fit, I would also recommend the Primitivo. I walked in Sept/Oct 2014 and it was a wonderful experience. I started in Irun on del Norte as I had plenty of time. Alternatively you could walk a section of the Northern Route. I found both routes wonderful. BTW I will be walking from St Jean leaving on 17 September and walking for 12 days. Buen Camino

Fitness is good - live in the Lake District so lots of hills. Had been considering Primitivo but not sure what potential weather conditions would be like

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fitness is good - live in the Lake District so lots of hills. Had been considering Primitivo but not sure what potential weather conditions would be like
We had mixed weather but it was still a wonderful experience. It would be my first choice if I had your dilemma. It is really beautiful and interesting. I was fairly fit when I started walking the northern coastal route and after about 2 weeks walking to the Primitivo, I felt strong.

We had mixed weather but it was still a wonderful experience. It would be my first choice if I had your dilemma. It is really beautiful and interesting. I was fairly fit when I started walking the northern coastal route and after about 2 weeks walking to the Primitivo, I felt strong.

Sounds good. Was also looking at incorporating the Camino Salvador somehow - Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo might make an interesting combo :)

I 've read quite enthusiastic reports on the camino de invierno (peregrina2000 and others) so this would make a nice combo : madrid-sahagun (camino de madrid) sahagun-ponferrada (CF) ponferrada-SDC (camino de invierno)
How does it sound ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I 've read quite enthusiastic reports on the camino de invierno (peregrina2000 and others) so this would make a nice combo : madrid-sahagun (camino de madrid) sahagun-ponferrada (CF) ponferrada-SDC (camino de invierno)
How does it sound ?

Another great suggestion - this one and the Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo both come in a touch shorter than the Frances by my reckoning with is just about right - probably not got time for VflP.
Too many options - now I'm getting muddled

Primitivo from Oviedo (and 4-6 previous days on the Salvador from Leonto Oviedo if you have the time) is a great "short" option. It's a beautiful camino. I have walked it in late September and loved it.
Yes...how about a Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo combo?

You will be just behind myself and a friend, also 'old dogs'! We start on 17th and have already made a reservation at Orisson.
You doing the Frances this time? :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We are starting the 22nd and have already reserved space at Orisson. It will be four of us, my wife and myself, our daughter and her husband and it is our first Camino albeit our daughter and son-in-law did it for a short trek last year and it lit the fire in them to return. I have a good feeling about a September start for our journey. We are also celebrating our wedding anniversaries respectively. My wife and I ... 46 years ; daughter and her husband their 14th.
We will enjoy the cooler weather only because we get enough of the hot weather in Florida throughout the year, it will be a refreshing change. We are excited, I think we will find out a lot about ourselves during the course of our journey. We are leaving all electronic devices at home, this alone should be a cleansing experience. We wish all Buen Camino and hope we can meet some if not all of you along the way !
Will watch for you on 22 th .Will be leaving from beside Orisson that morning.

Will watch for you on 22 th .Will be leaving from beside Orisson that morning.
Hopefully, the timing will be right and we can all meet ! I know from our daughter and her husband's experience, which was only for 10 days, they not only became part of a small Camino family that for the ten days trekked together, but made lasting friendships as well.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back