• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing between El Camino Frances and del Norte?

MSmith

Time of past OR future Camino
I am sure this question has been asked time and time again, but I would appreaciate any advice you have to offer to me, especially the members who have done both routes.

A friend and I are planning on doing the Camino in second half of September 2017 and we are having some trouble deciding on which path to take, French or Northern. We are leaning strongly towards Northern for it is less crowded and follows the coastline, but would nevertheless like to ask some questions and get some advice to make sure we are making the right choice. Some info to help you get an idea about us: for both of us, this will be the first, and most likely, last, Camino. We are planing on going by bicycle. For us, this is more of a cultural experience and an adventure, rather then a purely spiritual journey, so we don't mind if the places are a bit more touristy. What we were wandering is:

1.) El Camino del Norte is supposedly much more mountainous. What is the path like for someone on a bicycle? We are both in our 20s and in a relatively good physical shape, but are not athletes by any means. What steepness can we expect?
2.) One of the main motivations for choosing this route for us is the coastline. But are we talking only about the view or will we be close enough to the coast to go swimming and such at least every couple of days?
3.) Can we nevertheless expect some forests and meadows, and not only the coast the whole way?
4.) How much of the path is close to the highway compared to El Camino Frances? How disturbing is it to be that close to the road?
5.) How much would we be missing out on by not going to places like Pamplona, Burgos and Leon?
6.) How much are we missing the traditional Camino experience by not going on Frances route?
7.) How fast can someone on a bicycle expect to finish the Northern way?
8.) How much more expensive is the Northern route compared to the French one? We are both students on a budget.
9.) I feel very uncomfortable asking this question, but how often does bike taking happen and how careful should we be with our bikes?

We are grateful for your kind advice and consideration!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
I have so far walked the Camino del Norte from the Spanish Border to Pesües (not far from the border Cantabria to Asturia) and in the past also the Camino Frances.
I am a "walky" but have met and spoken with bike pilgrims on my Caminos.
My thoughts might help you?

1.) El Camino del Norte is supposedly much more mountainous.
It certainly is. Wit bicycles you might partially have to use the road as the camino is at parts just a footpath, not suitable for bikes. We are both in our 20s and in a relatively good physical shape, but are not athletes by any means. What steepness can we expect roads and partially forest tracks, in the basque country a few very steep sections. (My impression was that the Basque part is VERY hilly.
You could have a look at the video from the section Laredo to Pesües:

2.) One of the main motivations for choosing this route for us is the coastline. But are we talking only about the view or will we be close enough to the coast to go swimming and such at least every couple of days?
In the Basque Country you will be off the coast between Zarautz and Bilbao - on a push bike possibly just for two days. Then up to "my" current endpoint you will again and again come close to the coast (at times only meters)

3.) Can we nevertheless expect some forests and meadows, and not only the coast the whole way?
clear yes

4.) How much of the path is close to the highway compared to El Camino Frances? How disturbing is it to be that close to the road?
difficult to judge - I didn´t bother

5.) How much would we be missing out on by not going to places like Pamplona, Burgos and Leon?

Not at all - there are so many other places to see in Spain, wherever you go. You would see San Sebastian, Guernica, Bilbao, Santander.....
You even could plan a short detour (two days? to Santo Toribio, another shrine in Cantabria´s Picos de Europe)No worry.
You might embark on another Camino later to see more cities.

6.) How much are we missing the traditional Camino experience by not going on Frances route?
I do not think that you are missing anything the both Caminos appear to be different, not sure what a "traditional" experience is.
I love-d both

8.) How much more expensive is the Northern route compared to the French one? We are both students on a budget.
The prices are comparable, I could not find a big difference. The Camino is just a bit longer than the CF and this might cost a few more days

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your reply Kerdi, it is very hepful! :)
I am sure you will enjoy the Camino! Utreia!
You should also look up the various photographs of both caminos. e.g.

Last edited:
what fantastic replies. I have been wondering about the same topic and viola the answer appeared.

I love the Camino Norte. I have walked from Irun to SDC and also last year Irun to Bilbao. It is mountainous, but I am sure there must be roads you can use everywhere as it is a popular coastline. As far as swimming goes, for this Aussie the water is way too cold even in the height of summer. Enjoy your adventure.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for asking these questions. I will be walking my first Camino in Mid May and have had the radical idea of switching to the Northern route.

This time of year I would expect it to be less crowded, but surely enough people not to feel isolated.

Weather differences between the two routes??

Su3

I am sure this question has been asked time and time again, but I would appreaciate any advice you have to offer to me, especially the members who have done both routes.

A friend and I are planning on doing the Camino in second half of September 2017 and we are having some trouble deciding on which path to take, French or Northern. We are leaning strongly towards Northern for it is less crowded and follows the coastline, but would nevertheless like to ask some questions and get some advice to make sure we are making the right choice. Some info to help you get an idea about us: for both of us, this will be the first, and most likely, last, Camino. We are planing on going by bicycle. For us, this is more of a cultural experience and an adventure, rather then a purely spiritual journey, so we don't mind if the places are a bit more touristy. What we were wandering is:

1.) El Camino del Norte is supposedly much more mountainous. What is the path like for someone on a bicycle? We are both in our 20s and in a relatively good physical shape, but are not athletes by any means. What steepness can we expect?
7.) How fast can someone on a bicycle expect to finish the Northern way?
9.) I feel very uncomfortable asking this question, but how often does bike taking happen and how careful should we be with our bikes?

We are grateful for your kind advice and consideration!

Hi MSmith, I am in Santiago at the moment, about to start the Northern route next week. I have just been looking at the initial stages and accommodation available and I would say that the Northern Camino is noticeably more expensive. There are many municipal-type albergues for 5-6€ per night on the Frances but the cheapest I've seen so far on the Norte is 8€, with most in the 12-15€ bracket.
There are also far fewer of them, so these are things that you might want to consider if your budget is important.
Whichever you choose I've no doubt it will be a great experience for you.
Buen Camino :)

Hello! Just checking on this to see which Camino route you chose in the end? What was your experience like and how would you answer the same questions now that you've walked it?

Thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello! Just checking on this to see which Camino route you chose in the end? What was your experience like and how would you answer the same questions now that you've walked it?

Thanks!
Hi Kylie, I did walk the Norte (in May/June) and I absolutely loved it. Albergues were fewer and more expensive (as the municipal-type only tend to open in July/Aug and I had to stay in a few pensions at times). The coast was stunning with several opportunities to walk on along beaches & to swim.
I also took a detour into the Picos de Europa (from San Vicente de la Barquera to Santo Toribio), which I would highly recommend for those who have time.
Buen Camino!
Michele :)

what fantastic replies. I have been wondering about the same topic and viola the answer appeared.

I also walked the Norte from early May to early June in 2017. I don't know why Michele found municipal albergues closed, I had no trouble finding open government albergues, most cost a few euros. there were also private albergues that charged 10 or 12. A couple of albergues just asked for a donation. As for it being mountainous, there are no real mountains, just high hills . I believe the highest point was about 2,700 ft (about 800 meters). If you start in Bilbao it is a fairly easy walk (I'm 71), I agree the first week is pretty demanding if you start at the French border, it is the hardest section. The scenery is worth it and the food is better, at least in my experience. The cafes and restaurants serve mostly Spanish customers, not the thousands pilgrims just passing through, so they need to prepare higher quality meals. That said, I missed the historic cities and towns of the French route. Walk the French route first then do the Norte, save the best for last.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Read all the well-meant advice...then walk whichever Camino your heart tells you to. It’s the best guide of all :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Kylie, I did walk the Norte (in May/June) and I absolutely loved it. Albergues were fewer and more expensive (as the municipal-type only tend to open in July/Aug and I had to stay in a few pensions at times). The coast was stunning with several opportunities to walk on along beaches & to swim.
I also took a detour into the Picos de Europa (from San Vicente de la Barquera to Santo Toribio), which I would highly recommend for those who have time.
Buen Camino!
Michele :)

As a beginner, would it be difficult to walk Norte than Frances?

As a beginner, would it be difficult to walk Norte than Frances?
There’s less infrastructure (eg: number of albergues, people who speak English), so in that respect the Francés would be easier. It depends how adventurous you are/feel. I know many people who chose the Norte, Primitivo or Via de la Plata as their first camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you everybody for wonderful and kind replies!

My friend and I ended up choosing the Norte, which was a fantastic idea. The views are absolutely stunning, and thought it is a little challenging for a bike, it was completely worth it. Unfortunately for us, the two weeks we were there were the exact weeks when the north of Spain was experiencing completely unexpected summer rain. It rained all day, every day, which can be dealt with if you walk the camino, but is very annoying and, frankly, quite dangerous on bikes (terrible visibility and slippery roads at higher speed). After a few days we were forced to take a train to central Spain and continue on the Frances way. We found the road a little boring compared to the Norte, but the weather was great for cycling.
As for how hard it was to cycle: the Norte has some very steep hills, but they don't go on for long; Frances has hills that are much less steep, but they go on for ages. It really just depends on what kind of cycling you prefer, are you a marathoner or a sprinter.

If I had to choose again, a would go with the Norte every time (I love the sea, so this is a completely subjective decision). There are fewer albergues, but they always found a way for everyone who needed it to stay (extra matresses and such), because they know you will not be able to walk the next 15 or 30 kilometers to the next one. There are also fever people, but still enough, it does not feel lonely at all. And the vicinity of beaches and the coast is great!

My friend and I ended up choosing the Norte, which was a fantastic idea. The views are absolutely stunning, and thought it is a little challenging for a bike, it was completely worth it. Unfortunately for us, the two weeks we were there were the exact weeks when the north of Spain was experiencing completely unexpected summer rain. It rained all day, every day, which can be dealt with if you walk the camino, but is very annoying and, frankly, quite dangerous on bikes (terrible visibility and slippery roads at higher speed). After a few days we were forced to take a train to central Spain and continue on the Frances way. We found the road a little boring compared to the Norte, but the weather was great for cycling.
As for how hard it was to cycle: the Norte has some very steep hills, but they don't go on for long; Frances has hills that are much less steep, but they go on for ages. It really just depends on what kind of cycling you prefer, are you a marathoner or a sprinter.

If I had to choose again, a would go with the Norte every time (I love the sea, so this is a completely subjective decision). There are fewer albergues, but they always found a way for everyone who needed it to stay (extra matresses and such), because they know you will not be able to walk the next 15 or 30 kilometers to the next one. There are also fever people, but still enough, it does not feel lonely at all. And the vicinity of beaches and the coast is great!
Well done! Sounds like you had a great time..

Well done! Sounds like you had a great time... :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back