A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

CHoosing the time

SRutledge

Camino(s) past & future
plan to walk in 2018
Last April I walked from Sarria to Santiago and it was an incredible experience,The only minor complaint I had was I did not get to see the botafumero even tho I went to three masses. I hope to go on another Camino in 2019, and I’m trying to decide between going in April Easter, or in July for the feast of Saint James. I’m guessing the latter will be much busier. But I’m sure that on either of these dates I will get to see the botafumeiro ! Any advice or guidance about either of these options?

Jo Jo

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, July 2014
Via di Francesco (Italy), July 2015
Frances, Sept-Oct 2016
Portugues Oct. 2017
Possibly you hit the time the botafumero was out of commission. See this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-in-2018-for-building-work.51700/#post-567962.

However, either of those services (Easter or St. James day) should see the Botafumero in action assuming that it is operable. See http://catedraldesantiago.es/en/liturgy/#botafumeiro

If you have your choice of dates to walk, I'd walk in October to hit hit All Saints Day on Nov. 1--botafumero swings, and the weather is much cooler. July is very hot, especially if you are walking all the way from SJPP (and therefore across La Rioja and the Meseta). Easter, as you know, is rainy and can be quite cold (October can be cold too, but I've walked to SdC arriving the end of October and it was very pleasant--no jacket required).

Buen Camino,
Jo JO

SRutledge

Camino(s) past & future
plan to walk in 2018
Oh no when I went in April, interior renovations were not happening. People saw the a swinging in masses the day before I came and the next day. Which just my bad luck. In September I had a friend over there and she said the renovations were going on inside. I have to believe they want to pilgrims to come during this peak months next year so I’m sure that it’ll be done by then. Yes I know fall would be cooler and pleasant but I don’t know if I can wait another year. Also I am looking at the Portuguese way so the meseta not issue

SRutledge

Camino(s) past & future
plan to walk in 2018
It's not about the Botafumeiro , why complain ??
Thank you for your practical advice. Each of us has a special reason to go. I went on behalf of my late (Spanish) husband - he would have loved to see the botafumeiro. It was disappointing but no it did not detract from my experience. But if i do return I hope to arrange things so I do see it swing. Is that so wrong?

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Thank you for your practical advice. Each of us has a special reason to go. I went on behalf of my late (Spanish) husband - he would have loved to see the botafumeiro. It was disappointing but no it did not detract from my experience. But if i do return I hope to arrange things so I do see it swing. Is that so wrong?
I did not say that it is wrong .
Wish you well , Peter .

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%