• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CHoosing the time

SRutledge

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk in 2018
Last April I walked from Sarria to Santiago and it was an incredible experience,The only minor complaint I had was I did not get to see the botafumero even tho I went to three masses. I hope to go on another Camino in 2019, and I’m trying to decide between going in April Easter, or in July for the feast of Saint James. I’m guessing the latter will be much busier. But I’m sure that on either of these dates I will get to see the botafumeiro ! Any advice or guidance about either of these options?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Possibly you hit the time the botafumero was out of commission. See this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-in-2018-for-building-work.51700/#post-567962.

However, either of those services (Easter or St. James day) should see the Botafumero in action assuming that it is operable. See http://catedraldesantiago.es/en/liturgy/#botafumeiro

If you have your choice of dates to walk, I'd walk in October to hit hit All Saints Day on Nov. 1--botafumero swings, and the weather is much cooler. July is very hot, especially if you are walking all the way from SJPP (and therefore across La Rioja and the Meseta). Easter, as you know, is rainy and can be quite cold (October can be cold too, but I've walked to SdC arriving the end of October and it was very pleasant--no jacket required).

Buen Camino,
Jo JO

Oh no when I went in April, interior renovations were not happening. People saw the a swinging in masses the day before I came and the next day. Which just my bad luck. In September I had a friend over there and she said the renovations were going on inside. I have to believe they want to pilgrims to come during this peak months next year so I’m sure that it’ll be done by then. Yes I know fall would be cooler and pleasant but I don’t know if I can wait another year. Also I am looking at the Portuguese way so the meseta not issue

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's not about the Botafumeiro , why complain ??
Thank you for your practical advice. Each of us has a special reason to go. I went on behalf of my late (Spanish) husband - he would have loved to see the botafumeiro. It was disappointing but no it did not detract from my experience. But if i do return I hope to arrange things so I do see it swing. Is that so wrong?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for your practical advice. Each of us has a special reason to go. I went on behalf of my late (Spanish) husband - he would have loved to see the botafumeiro. It was disappointing but no it did not detract from my experience. But if i do return I hope to arrange things so I do see it swing. Is that so wrong?
I did not say that it is wrong .
Wish you well , Peter .

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back