• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Christmas Camino

Kialoa3

I know that this topic has been addressed before but I am wondering if there is any new information on accommodations open along the Camino Frances this Dec-Jan. My wife, Robin, and I will be departing St. Jean for Santiago on or about Dec 15th. Most of what I have read before warns of unexpected closures, and potentially long stages between lodging. I am assuming that will still be the case this year, but will the Holy Year activity cause others to say "enough" and close up as well when they otherwise might have remained open? This will be our first camino and we are aware of the challenges (we think), but still it beckons us. We would be grateful for any information or advice regarding the accommodation issue or anything else that others feel would be helpful to pass along regarding travel along the Frances at this time of year.We have mined lots of winter information from previous forum posts,blogs, and websites, bought the right gear (again, we think), and kept our pack weights low (7-7.5kg) but would still welcome any suggestions others might care to pass along. This is a very special journey for us (as it has been for so many others). Quite honestly at this point, we are so anxious to get going, I think we would strike out for the South Pole if that was where the Camino ended. Counting down the days. Many thanks.

John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there John,

Im in a similar situation however Im setting off a little earlier but walking longer so have been looking into the situation with the albergues closing in November/December.
I, like you, wondered if, despite it being the holy year, people would close up early to recouperate!

What I did find is Ger Kelly's free guide to the Camino Frances, he walked it this summer to fully update it all and what is good about it is that the information if as up to date as you can get and he has detailed when each accomodation is open.

I purchased his full online guide (only a few euros) that has a lot more info on the history etc but the free downloadable guide will give you what you need.
It will detail what time of year the albergue closes....eg open May - October
If there is no detail, it means it should be open all year.
Its also a good guide for alternative routes. Some stages have 2 different routes and if one has accomodation closed in December, the other route may have one open. Thats good to know.
An example of this is at La Faba in the mountains. One route has no accomodation (or huge stages between) and the other does.

For my own research, it looks fine accomodation wise. It looks like there will always be an albergue open throughout the winter at regular intervals as you walk.

Heres the link for that free guide
http://www.caminoguide.net/camino_frances.htm

Looking back on stats of past holy years there is always a large increase to that of a normal year so the network of accomodation will remain in place.

Good on you for getting that pack weight down! Being winter the bulky clothes add weight, im not looking forward to my first test pack lol

Have you found any info on weather that time of year?
Im attaching some weather tables of averages from the last 30 years so you can get an idea of what to expect. This info was kindly provided by Peter Robin's great site http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/santiago/weather.html

Hope you find it useful.
Also, if i can (no promises though!) ill try and post back when im walking to tell you what the accomodation situation is like and if places are supposed to be open but are not!

Buen Camino
Greg

Attachments

• weather tabels frances.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 109
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Dear John,

Last December I walked the Camino Frances from Leon to Santiago and I would highly recommend this time of year. I've also walked the Camino in April and September. All of the municipal albergues were open in December and heated!!! There are enough albergues open to make your journey. I encountered alot of snow along the way, some of the path was closed so we pilgrims had to walk along the road. The Camino was magical to see at this time of year with very few pilgrims around.

Best wishes,

Paul
Cork, Ireland.

Greg, Thanks for all that great information. The Ger Kelly guide is perfect. Wish you a fun and safe Camino. If you can post your albergue experiences that would be most helpful. Understand no promises. I have not turned up any weather sites other than those suggested here in the forum. It is so unpredictable that my strategy is to plan for a range of 10F to 45F with expectations of snow,high (cold) winds and without question heavy rain. One thing I will pass along regarding winter clothing is a recommendation for any base (can also be used as a mid) layer made from Power Stretch fleece. Form fitting, stretchy, warm as toast and light. That alone under a mid weight pant that blocks the wind (soft or hard shell) should be good down to 20F. Combine with Capilene 3 (Patagonia) long johns and you should be good down <10F. From what I have seen it shouldn't get any colder than that. Also once you cross into Galicia if the temps rise into the 40's you just go with the Cap 3 long johns under the pants (or just the pants). Thanks to all for the replies and encouragement. Please continue to update me with anything that strikes your fancy as I am constantly learning more about this journey each day (thanks to this forum's members). This is without question THE place to turn to for camino information. Great job. Thank you.

John

Your more than welcome John!
Thanks for the tips on the layering, itll be something that will be of utmost importance when im out there...keeping warm!
What I will be doing when im walking is not only using that guide but also asking hospitaleros/locals/anyone before I leave for the day if they know of any closures at the next town.
A lot of the albergues will have prior information as to what is and whats not, same goes with the weather especially over the mountains, they'll no doubt know the situation so much better than us.

Also, the pilgrim office in St Jean when you get your pilgrim passport will usually give you a printed list/info on what is and what is not open. Im expecting to run into a few places that should be open but are closed for repairs or something.

Also John, I dont know if you stumbled upon an earlier post of mine about a few guides I translated from a Spanish website but heres the link to it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32910789/Camino-Frances-Guide

It lists a lot of the accomodation along the route, has photos of most (great for confirmation that 'this is the place') but also has telephone numbers so you could plan a day or two ahead and drop them a quick line to confirm they are open.

Buen Camino
Greg

oh and Im jealous by the way! you live in the most stunning part of the world, I spent a winter working on Vancouver island, Vancouver and Whistler a few years back....stunning.

Once again, thank you for the information Greg and Sil. I am getting more comfortable that I have done what can be done to get ready for this winter camino. Acknowledging that nothing in life comes with a guarantee I will trust to God (and a few warm layers) that all will be well. Oh, BTW in the frenzy of planning I find it helpful to remind myself that this pilgrimage is a gift and I intend to enjoy every minute of it (weather be damned).

John

thinking of doing a bit of The Camino myself over Christmas/New Year. Wonderfull to find all this information. Thank you all! Think I'll start at Logrono and potter along for about 7 days or so. Not worried about the cold as seems me its all low level along there (I am from Ireland and often go out hiking in what we call mountains here (some would just call them hills ) in the depths of Winter. anyone go along that bit at this time of year??? and if so how did you find it???

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
JohnnieWalker said:
John
I think there is something very special about walking in winter time - although it does have its challenges.Have a wee look if you wish to whet your appetite:
Well you really did make my day with your amazing video.
I have been up to my waist in snow at Roncesvalles in early march - I was probably very stupid to try to use the path . All I can say is make sure you have the right gear especially to keep warm and take the road when the Camino looks impassable - people have been known to loose their lives out there through exposure.

Greetings! I was planning on going July/August of this year (trekking El Norte) but some issues arose that forced me to postpone. Now, however, I am heading out (ticket purchased!) December/January! Flying into Madrid and will start in Pamplona around December 15th or so. I'm very excited! I did Via Frances in '05 in the summer and am really looking forward to walking this route in the winter. I am in the process of buying gear. Trying to figure out what type of layering I should be doing for the region at this time. I don't want to go overboard, but I also don't want to be cold or be forced to buy needed gear en route.
I'd like to get in touch with others who are heading out and swap ideas or preparation tips etc.!

Be well!

RENSHAW said:
[ All I can say is make sure you have the right gear especially to keep warm and take the road when the Camino looks impassable - people have been known to loose their lives out there through exposure.

Sorry to labour this point but it can't be said enough. Winter walking has real challenges. Be prepared, have the right gear, plan ahead and take local advice and all will be well. Winter is coming and pilgrims will still be heading off on various routes - trouble can be avoided with good layering clothes, techincal clothing preferably, good waterproof shoes or boots and a water (and wind) proof outer shell. Spain isn't the arctic and really only mountain walking would present real dangers - but why even be cold, wet and miserable!

Buen winter camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Security on the Napoleon route.
Had a quick trip back to the camino last week and walked the Napoleon-route. Noticed that on the Spanish part from the border to Roncesvalles there were put up what I will call securitymarkers with the emergencynumber 112 and a special number on each marker for every 100-200m or so. I took the road down to Ibaneta, but I think the markers continued down the steep route through the wood. Made me think about the people dying up there the last years. They might have been found and saved by the help of theese positionmarkers.
ranthr

Hi there John,

Just a quick one from Logrono, 165km along the Camino Frances.

Regarding accomodation, that Ger Kelly guide is spot on so far with which albergues are open and which are not, although a few places have been more expensive that he mentions in the guide.

We have always had choice of accomodation and the albergues are almost empty. Just five of us are walking at the moment so there is always room at the inn.

The weather is (at the moment) superb!
Hot and summery today, not sign of rain yet but im sure thatll come.

So, hope that helps, I really dont think youll find too many places closed when they should be open, it seems that at least one albergue in each town stays open and it seems that the hospitaleros are letting each other know how many pilgrims are passing through so each town knows roughly what to expect.

Ok, off for a walk!

Greg

Hi Greg,

It sounds like you have found a favorable weather window. I hope it holds out for awhile. It has been unusually warm here in the Pacific Northwest, and yet the long range forecasts call for La Nina conditions this winter (cold/wet). Not sure how that plays out in Europe. I guess we will find out. Thank you for the albergue update, and the Ger Kelly guide information. We will be bringing that with us as well. Our December departure draws near and Robin and I are now counting down the days. I'll look forward to your next post whenever you might find the time. All the best. Have some fun.

Buen camino,
John

From Logrono onwards, several albergues closed when the guides are saying open, will post back with further news.
Check at albergues the town before!

Ok guys, sorry for my speedily typed reply, my internet time was running out!

So, the accomodation situation on the Camino Frances is...
Up to Logrono, all was fine, nearly all places mentioned to be open in the guides were open, however after Logrono things get a little more difficult. The hospitaleros in the albergue were on the most part informative about what was open in the next town, some were dreadfully unhelpful!

If you have Ger Kelly´s guide (which I do) then a fair few prices are wrong, some albergues are more, some less. That may just be the albergues switching them around though.

ONE BIG NOTE however, the information sheet you get from the pilgrims office in St Jean listing all the available albergues and if they are open, is incorrect in a number of places. For instance, they say you can walk and stay at an albergue in Villabilla after Burgos, howeverm the Camino does not pass through this town and the next place at Tajardos is closed as of November so its onto Rabe for a bed. This has caused some annoyance for some pilgrims. Several other albergues are listed as open and they are not.
Granon has just been fumigated due to bed bugs, but all seems well now.
Calzadilla de los Herminillos out of Sahagun, is open, however there are comments in the guestbook that the ladies of the village appear to be taking the ´donativo´ and pocketting them...and they dont just settle for a few euros, one couple didnt get change from a 20 euro...just be warned :)

Im in Leon now, the mornings are beautifully crisp, no real rain but the mountains in the distance have a sprinkling of snow so after Astorga temps appear low and snow is around.
still 140 pilgrims a day heading into Santiago, however, in Leon, just a band of 20 so far.

Will report back when I can.
Hope the info helps some.
Buen Camino
Greg

Greg,

Thank you for the ongoing updates on lodging. I am scribbling notes as your posts come in. How are your feet holding out? Hope all is going well.

Buen camino,
John

Hey John,

Feet are holding up perfectly, although money spent on ´waterproof´boots have been wasted, they leak like a sponge! Snow today over the mountain from Rabanal to Molinaseca, fairly heavy overnight, temperatures down to zero. Numbers rising now in the last 200km, a few extra pilgrims joining the way.
Albergues from Astorga - Ponferadda open as usual, even Manjarin refuge, although Tomas the knight templar seemed a little stressed with his day!

Greg,

Sorry about the wet feet,but no blisters, bravo. Good luck as you count down the final 200K to Santiago. Safe journey. Also (excuse cross posting) good on you for confronting that couple at Cruz de Ferro.

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wilna Wlkinson wrote in her winter pilgrimage book "The Way of Stars in Stones" that she was reluctant to record her impressions of the Cruz de Ferro.
What she found after struggling up the famous milladoiro in a howling hurricane, was a rubbish tip at the base of the cross that included empty cigarette packets, used syringes, bottle-top hash pipes, condoms of every variety, a cast from a fractured arm, several bras, chewing gum, half empty tubes of sunscreen etc etc.
Were these left by summer pilgrims? Surely someone would have cleared the rubbish after the summer season came to a close. Or, were they left by vagrants? We'll never know.

Hi gregdedman and everybody else!

First of all, I'm happy you find my guide useful. I put a lot of work into it, it was sort of a labour of love for me and I'm happy to hear that people are using it

I walked the Camino last June and updated a lot of the info but it's impossible to cover everything and besides, I like to relax and enjoy myself on the Camino and I wouldn't be able to do that if I was obsessing about getting everything right.

Anyway, the point I want to make is, I need your help! If everybody who uses the guide sends me a couple of corrections (or additions) then it will keep itself up-to-date and I can concentrate on other things! Besides, at the moment I don't know when next I'm going to be able to walk the Camino. It could be a couple of years hence (although I hope not).

Thanks to everybody and Buen Camino.

BTW gregdedman, what make of boots are you wearing? I'm boot shopping at the mo and would like to avoid whatever it is you've got!

Ger

Hi Gerald,

Id be happy to send you any correction once im home, although I have to say, your guide has proven to be the best anyone has walking the camino right now. Every night i get several pilgrims asking to copy info from it and its looking pretty tattered at this point!
Its a fantastic guide, the info on prices and sheer range of accomodation puts it head and shoudlers above anything Ive seen pilgrims with :)

The boots I have are holding out well distance wise, just terrible weather wise.
They are Hi Tec leather ARC boots. They were 70 pounds but the company are going to recieve a little letter as they leaked on rain day 1!!

Regards
Greg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was on the Via de la Plata last month and a friend had this guide and I was very impressed with it. It's lightweight and disposable you could even reduce the print size and print both sides to improve efficiency. Anyone with enviromental concerns could then use it as toilet paper (just kidding). Could it become the Wikepedia of Camino guides?

Something else I thought might be useful would be a small map of certain towns and villages (some tricky ones were Almaden d l Plata and Fuente de Cantos) showing the route out on the Camino. Not so important for cities as it's easy to get a street plan from the tourist office. Particularly when tired on dark mornings I found reading the small print exit instructions from the Cicerone guide less than ideal. A street plan with the Camino drawn on and a bullet list of landmarks would be a lot easier to follow, in my opinion. Possibly 4-6 of them could be printed on an A4 sheet.

I also felt that a single map showing distances between all towns on the Camino would help as well as maps of stages or written distances shown over several pages. That way it would be easier to plan ahead. I think the problem is partly my own though as I find it difficult to absorb large amount of tiny writing and I'm much happier with graphics. I'm hoping to do the 1st half of the Camino Frances next year and this will be my guide.

Many thanks Gerald and good luck with the boot shopping, I'll be doing the same soon.

Andrew, Salisbury UK.

http://spanishfootsteps.blogspot.com/

Our Christmas Camino is quickly becoming a reality. Robin and I will be arriving in St. Jean on December 14th and will depart for Santiago on the 15th or 16h weather and jet lag permitting. For those interested in following our journey we have a blog posted at agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com.
Now after so many months of planning and preparation we actually get to do this. Amazing.

Cheers for now,
John

Hey there John,

I understand you are away and will soon be beginning your Camino Frances.
I just wanted to give you a last update from the end of my own Camino, which finished with a flurry on the 9th December after 43 days covering 1,001km.

There are some pretty important updates I can give regarding Galicia. From O'Cebreiro, numbers were expectedly higher than the rest of the route, although with that came a huge amount of disrespectful pilgrims. I was surprised to see people, even at this time of year, setting alarms and turning lights on at 5am to pack and get walking, the sun, still not up by 8am, still sleeping deeply below its horizon.
This being the second Camino Frances, it was interesting to see how respect for other sleeping pilgrims has slipped still further and those who were suffering, in pain, having a rest day, had no choice but to wake at this hour and lay there bleary eyed listening to the commotion.
These increased numbers became ultra important to me walking onto Muxia, Finisterre and back to Santiago as these smaller Xunta albergues became very close to capacity night after night, alternative accomodation rarely being available.

However, a bonus on the route to Muxia is Dumbria (20km from Muxia and 13km after Olvieroa) is a brand spanking new albergue opened in September 2010 which was like nothing id ever seen before. A new Mega-Hostel more like a hotel, underfloor heating, fitted designer kitchens, stunning cromed bathrooms yet zero pilgrims staying there. If you get a chance, check it out.

A lot of the Xunta (if not all) have been renovated and modernised to the point of overkill, all offering clean, warm accomodation but without any of the 'personal care' of earlier on the Camino. Most offer 20-30 beds and all had hot showers and heating.

Scores of private hostels have either closed for the winter or lowered their price and turned off their heating making a chilly nights sleep and difficulty drying wet clothes.

In Santiago, the donativo albergue down Rua San Francisco mentioned in Ger Kelly's guide is actually a homeless hostel in the winter, some very confused looks were thrown my way as I walked in the door past the drunk fellow blocking the door.

Xunta albergue in Ligonde was closed although Airexe 1km further is open.

Vilaserio on the Camino Fisterra after Negreira also has a donativo municipal albergue although without heating (but does have hot showers) VERY BASIC, the lady across the road 'demands' a donation and offers large tortilla delivery service for dinner for €5.

Several times I was demanded to give a donation as a matter of course, causing me to wonder if the summer had seen many pilgrims not doing so. This suspiscion was confirmed when a spanish pilgrim walking from Muxia for 3 days said that donation albergues were considered 'FREE' to himself and his friends.

The weather...generally good, although reports a few days behind me told of pilgrims scaling the mountains at Manjarin in waist deep snow, arrows submerged, track non existant. The Muxia coast was the wettest weather ive ever experienced....absolutely soaked to the soul!! :?

Anyway, I hope this helps some people, and when those alarms go off at 5am please dont follow the crowd, thats what some of us are trying to break away from. Push those earplugs in a little further, put the pillow over your head and rest some more....the sun will tell you when its time to wake.

Regards
Greg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Greg,

Robin and I are at Cizur Menor. All is going great. Had a lot of light snow but not anything that impeded our journey. It just made the landscape more beautiful. so far our bodies and feet are holding up to the challenge. Finding places to stay has no been bad but requires vigilence and planning (phone ahead). We got a very good briefing from a young French guy we met in Zubiri who was walking to his home near Grenoble from his camino to Santaigo. He had been walking since August. Meeting some wonderful people and truly enjoying the winter landscapes and their solitude. We are off to Puente La Reina tomorrow. I must simply add that this journey has been harder than I thought but also so much more rewarding. Thanks for all your great reports.

Follow Robin and I on our camino at agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com

Cheers,
John

Hey John and Robin,

Glad you're on your way and the wintery scenery looks wonderful!

Thanks for the update on your progress, I for one will for sure be reading your entries.
If you can stay at Eunate, DO!

Greg

Your blog & photos are fantastic! I realize you are constrained by which albergues are open, but please keep in mind that too many miles too soon (even for those you have trained well) often leads to injury. It's the cumulative effect on feet & muscles. And you often realize this when its too late!

I wish you warm temps and clear skies...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, love the blog, John and Robin. Light and literate. And done en route! Check it out, pilgrims, when you get a moment.

I'll be treading the same snowy track in a bit over a month. Scary, but good-scary.

Rob

Hello to all. Robin and I are currently gathering our strength after a long stage from Logrono to Najera, 29.4 kms. The camino has been wonderful so far. The weather has been changeable and looks to be heading into a warming trend next week with temps in Najera expected to be in the mid to upper 50´s F. We are foot sore but are spirits are high and we are enjoying every step, some more painful than others. At day´s end one feels so thankful for what has been accomplished. I honestly do not know where the strength comed from sometimes. We will be heading to Santo Domingo de Calzada for Christmas eve, a short 21kms. Still wearing t shirts, mid weight t neck base layers, and ponchos these days. This works fine in temps done to the upper 30´s. Field tested and approved. Thanks for all your comments and encouragement. Time is running out on this PC so bye for now. Follow us at a good walkunspoiles.blogspot.com

Hi there John and Robin,

May I make a suggestion?

In Granon, an easy, flat 6km further on from Santa Domingo, there is a tremendous gem along the camino. The albergue there, above the church has twice been one of my highlights of the trip and if its open (best to ask at the municipal in santa domingo) then for christmas eve it should be a real fun place.
When I was there in November, we were all salsa dancing in front of the huge open fire...it was a true memory.

Wherever you stay however, may I wish you all a merry christmas and buen camino!

Greg

Hey John and Robin

Agree with Greg on Granon. It was one of the highlights of my walk too. Santo Domingo is a lovely place with excellent restaurantes. Can be loads of fun. But somehow Granon was special. The atmostphere around the communal dinning and the service after just wraps one up with warmth and love.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

Buen Camino
Rebecca

Christmas Eve at Granon! 8) I cannot think of anything better except perhaps if I had been old enough to go to Woodstock or seen the the Berlin wall come down.
So what did you guys do!
How about new years eve at the old San Bol! :mrgreen:

I wish we had been able to arrange a stay at Granon but we decided to push on to Belorado instead. This for a while looked like a poor decision as the municipal albergue was closed just for the 24th. We stood shivering and pleading with some locals and finally one elderly man called some one and miraculously the doors swung open. We quickly settled in and then did some shoppng for our Christmas eve dinner. It all went very well in the end. There were eight of us in the albergue that night thankful for the shelter provided. We are currently in Burgos enjoying the new municipal albergue. We are trying to decide whether to lay over for a day or just push on. I must admit that once you are in the mindset of traveling the camino it is hard to be a tourist. At least that is what I am personally discovering. I just want to keep moving on down the camino. Each day is such a treasure. Robin and I are still blister free and without any major aches or pains (fingers crossed). We are trying to keep our blog agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com updated frequently but it is challenging. We will report back on our first crack at the meseta which is coming up in the next stage. Thanks for everyones support and encouragement. It means a lot to both Robin and I. Stay tuned as our camino continues.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola John and Robin,

The Burgos Cathedral is well worth a visit. And they will give you a sello too. With the pilgrim passport entrance fee is also reduced. You could start the day with a visit to the cathedral, then continue the camino after, possibly making it a short walking day. Oh and just opposite the cathedral, there is a cafe with chocolate to die for :) Enjoy!

Buen Camino

Your posts and pictures are inspirational!
Haven't read them all, but what I've seen are great.
You seem to be having a fantastic time.
God bless you as you continue along your way.

Ultreia, onward!
David, Victoria, Canada.

Today we arrived in Carrion de los Condes. We had a beautiful walk under partly cloudy skies with temps in the mid 40s. Our trip west from Burgos has been great. The weather has been unseasionally mild and no rain. For the most part the camino has been very walkable, meaning little or no mud. Robin and I are enjoying the sweeping vistas of the Meseta. I had imagined something much different. I had a vision of a wind swept plain devoid of vegetation, but found a broad expanse of undulating terrain, sometimes flat, but at other times presenting rolling hills, folds and creases that seemed to give the landscape character. We have had the usual challenges finding lodging over the holiday period. The only way to definately know you have a place to sleep is to call ahead. We have found a number of kind people willing to help us with that. Forget whatever information you have in guide books or even from other pilgrims, at this time of year the availability of lodging is at the very least in a situation in flux. Do not run the risk of arriving at your destination expecting an albergue to be open and then discovering you have to walk another 10 k to find a bed. I am confident that after January 6th the lodging issue will be much easier. To date we have been blessed with good health, no blisters, many fine companions, and a clear track westward. I cannot imagine what the camino would be like in the dead of summer. Much of the time Robin and I walk in our own little world. No one else is even in sight (even considering the long distance views on the Meseta). We meet up with three or four pilgrims in the evening (maybe) but during the day the camino seems to be gifted to us. I cannot believe more people are not walking this time of year. I do understand we have had some breaks with the weather, but we were prepared to walk in sub-freezing temps and snow along the Way. The solitude is simply stunning (perhaps deafening) especially along the Meseta. Robin and I talk, or walk in silence, as our moods shift, but we are in this very special place, this unique part of the world and we have it all to ourselves. I just never imagined it would be like this or that it would touch me in this way. It is fantastic. We are trying to keep our blog, agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com, updated but access to computers has been another holiday challenge. Please bear with us. I would also like to do something better with the photo presentations (make the solo photos larger) but just haven't had the time to tinker with Flickr. I'll try to get to it. Attended the vigil mass tonight. It was beautiful with a wonderful choir. Robin was drifting back to the St. Mary's Cathedral choir, in Portland, OR, where she sings and so enjoys the music. Off to bed now and back on the camino with the sunrise tomorrow. Another days "work" ahead.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Robin and I spent a wonderful evening, last night, at Rebekah and Paddy's Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos. Great people who are committed to providing, as they can, for the needs of those who find there way to their door. The next day Robin and I made our way up the senda in 38 F temperatures under a blanket of low hanging stratus that threatened rain but mercifully held off. It was a day to simply put some kilometers behind us as the scenery was less of a distraction and the noise from the nearby motorway kept reminding us that we are part of a busy world even on the camino. Nonetheless it was a good walk and we arrived safely in the municipal albergue in El Burgos Ranero. Upon arrival we were greated by a most kind hospitelero (Santiago) from Barcelona. He speaks no English and Robin and I can just barely order a beer in Mexico, but a remarkable thing has been happening. We have had this continous conversation going on in front of a wood burning stove for the past three hours. We have shared stories (Santiago has logged some impressive camino kilometers (+/- 4500), had a simple dinner, a la microwave, and have been sharing glasses of wine and more stories since then. There are only the three of us here and it has been a remarkable evening. Also, there is Celtic music playing in the background (apparently Santiago's favorite musical genre). Are you picturing this? Off to Mansilla de las Mulas tomorrow. Rain is definitely coming our way (perhaps by Wed) according to the forecasts so poncho time is drawing near once again. All is well. More details at a goodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com. Off to bed.

Thanks John for the great visual picture.
I have been to El Burgos Ranero a couple of times now. This year I was there during Santa Semana and the albergue filled up with local day walkers from the local villages about 1 pm. It was sad to see the distance Pilgrims showing up and having to move on to the next albergue which I think was Reliegos about 12 km further on. I did see some locals offering beds to some girls who arrived and just could not go on.
Burgos is a great place to stop and it sounds like it will be a special place for you guys.
Buen Camino
Ed

Hi, John and Robin,

Based on all the reports of mass crowding, I had pretty much given up the thought of ever walking the Camino Frances again. Your posts have opened up a whole new possibility, a walk in winter. I know it takes a lot more serious preparation and focus on gear, but it sounds just wonderful. I think you would be shell shocked by a summer camino!

I'm enjoying your blog, and thanks for giving us such evocative descriptions of your walk. Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After a very nice stay we walked out of El Burgo Ranero at about 8:30. daylight was just starting to push throught the morning mists. At first we thought no ponchos but before we were 100 m from the albergue we swapped out jackets for ponchos. The temperature was in the high 30´s F. We departed with ponchos on and t shirts and T neck base layers underneath and were fine. Gloves came and went as the temperature fluctuated. We knew before leaving that there was nothing open in Mansilla de las Mulas so we were heading for the next town up the line that had accommodation open which was Villarente. The trip up was interesting as you just pound out the kilometers on the senda until you arrive somewhere. Many things seem to occupy your mind as your feet find their way westward. I decide to try and walk better with more efficient use of my poles. So for the next few hours I practiced. Actually practice was intermittent as many other things seemed to wedge themselves into my mind as I grappled with this kind of a long uncomplicated walk. Nonetheless, and walking form notwithstanding, we made excellent time to Reliegos where we had a coffee with the colorful local bar owner well known to pilgrims on the camino. It was a geat stop but all to soon we were back on our way heading for Mansilla. The afternoon drew on and Robin and I plugged along through continuous light rain and temps right around 40 F. We found an open bar at Mansilla and ducked in out of the rain for another coffee. We still had about 6 K to go to Villarente. With energy flagging and interest in the nearby motorway at a daytime low we finally crossed the bridge (with only inches between us and traffic) into Villarente. We found a room at the Hostal La Montana, headed for the bar and did not order coffee. This morning we had a short walk into Leon where we decided to halt for a couple of days to celebrate Robin´s 50th birthday. We are now comfortably ensconced in the Parrador (at an off season rate of 90 euro/day breakfast included). Our plan is to head back out on the camino (which passes directly in front of our hotel) on the 7th and head for Villar de Mazarife. All is well and this camino experience continues to amaze us. Bye for now.

Visit our blog at agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com for more details and photos.

Happy Birthday Robin. A very nice place to celebrate!
San Marcos is a great location for continuing in the morning as you are pretty much through Leon.
A big change after the Hostal Montana. :?

Was the favorable Parador rate on a drop-in basis or prearranged? I see the Five Night Card in their special offerings, but nothing for a seasonal adjustment. Thanks for sharing your "secret!"

Hi - I´ve often got really good deals in the Paradors during winter. I just go in and ask. It is also helpful to become an "Amigo" of the Paradors which you can do after only one stay. Rooms are frequently provided to Amigos at half price in off season.

The room rate was just a drop in (off season) rate, nothing prearranged. It was great to be so close tro the camino as well. Robin and I are heading back out on the camino this morning (in about an hour). We wound up staying three nights as Robin developed a swollen ankle and we decided to give it a rest (doctor´s orders). I will put a plug in for the local emergency room (which is only a few blocks upriver from the Parrador). They examined and bandaged Robin´s ankle without any charge. They just copied her passport and that was that. Wonderful treatment and a very positive experience. I would also like to thank the Spanish gentleman who got us back on course (during quite a downpour) after we lost our way. He took us right to the door of the emergency room. Thank you for your kindness, sir. So, as always much to be thankful for. It is windy and rainy (again) with temps about 40 F as we set out for Villar de Mazarife. That´s all for now. More later.

John

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Much has happened since my last post. Robin and I are now in Villafranca del Bierzo. From Mazarife we headed for San Martin where we spent the night at the Albergue Santa Ana (nothing special other than it was all that was open). We ploughed on the next day in a a mix of wind and light rain to Astorga where we stayed at the new Albergue Servias de Maria. This is a great albergue with a great hospitelo, Eugenio. We set out from Astorga under partly cloudy skies and temps around 40 F (no ponchos, yea). We pushed on through Rabanal and spent the night at Foncebadon. We arrived there in fog and rain and pretty much ready for any kind of shelter. We stayed at the Monte Irago and had a great experience despite the miserable weather. The next day it was so hard to walk past the crackling fire and head back out in the fog and rain, but that is what we did. We pushed along the camino until we almost bumped into Cruz de Ferro. The visibility was was pretty low and the wind was whipping up as well. We were well above the cloud deck so conditions were not going to improve until we could start our descent. In time that happened but not before we spent hours in 30-35 MPH winds and sheets of rain. It was a thouroughly miserable morning. Shortly after noon we descended into Acebo and found ourselves in open visibility again with clearing skies. It stayed that way all the way to Ponferrada where we spent the night at the Albergue San Nicholas de Flue, which was great. We left Ponferrada this morning and have reached Villafranca, a delightful town nestled into the foothills of the nearby mountains. Robin and In took a look at the funky Albergue Ave Fenix. It was a little too funky so we checked into a hotel. Today we had a great walk up through the Bierzo wine area with its unusually moderate micro climate. We walked in 64 F temperatures, no rain and a partly cloudy sky. Great walk. We are still watching Robin´s ankle and plan to split the trip up to O´Cebreiro in two stages to give it some rest. It will also help my creaky knees which have been acting up. So that is about all we have for now. Our camino is going very well and we continue to be surprised by the mild weather (notwithstanding the beating we took up at Cruz de Ferro). More later from O´Cebreiro.

John

We look forward to each and everyone of your posts, and even worried for your safety when you went longer then usual without posting (it was around Dec. 27th) We are going in May this year, if God is willing. I realize our Camino will be much different from yours. Your positive outlook is like a breath of fresh air. We are keeping you both in our prayers, as we can see you are doing this with a true pilgrimage spirit.
Pax et Bonem!

JohnnieWalker said:
Hi - I´ve often got really good deals in the Paradors during winter.

We have often got a hard time from fellow pilgrims for staying at Paradors, and trust me when you are paying in NZ$ it isn't cheap option for us. But while it is not common practice, pulling in for a bit of comfort after weeks on the road (or for a special event) is a welcome change.

It is worth remembering that a lot of the Paradors have a long history of pilgrim hospitality. Also most are not that horrifically expensive, certainly more character and cheaper then most business hotels we have stayed in.

Johnny is right, rates in winter drop dramatically and while there is no special pilgrim rate you can always ask on the day, special rates for over 55? (not 50 sorry) and youth rates under 30? apply, and only one of you needs to fit the bill - but you do need to pre book which isn't always feasible on the camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my first Camino, I got stuck in the rain and cold and couldn't find a bed in Sto. Domingo so I went to the Parador and booked a room. It was a spectacular, well-needed rest day, but when I got the bill back in the USA it amounted to over $300 US - KOWABUNGA!

Do I regret it? Not at all... I must have taken 5 hot baths that night.. and breakfast.. well...

8xjy46.jpg

Today Robin and I walked into Arco O Pino. That leaves just about 20 K to get to Santiago. We are continuing to enjoy very mild temperatures (50's F) and no rain (a miracle) since arriving at Portomarin. The extended forecast shows clear weather into next week (can this possibly be?). Our pilgrimage has been a wonder and will take some time to fully process. The gift of fine weather is part of a wonderful experience but a small part. The real journey, and the real grace will be found within once Robin and I have a chance to sort this all out. For now we remain humble pilgrims amazed at what we have accomplished and thankful to God for all that has been gifted to us. Tomorrow will be another walk concluding in Santiago but the actual conclusion of this Camino is less clear. Time will tell where the Way will lead us and what is yet to be discovered just there beyond the horizon. For now thank you to all who have been kind and generous with good advice and lots of encouragement. Every day someone sets out on this journey (many are forum members) and they all need just the special kind of support that this group provides. Let me say to all "Well done" and peace be with you. And by the way, all is very well here in Arco O Pino. Ultreia!

John

There were just 10 pilgrims today at the Pilgrim Office, so you will not need to fight the crowds tomorrow! Congratulations.

Robin and John,
I first read your posts in early December and worried about you getting from SJPP to Roncesvalles in the horrendous snow storms that crippled much of Europe in late December.

How wonderful to hit upon your blog again today as you finish.
Flickr'd through your pictures and warmed many memories.
You have had wonderful weather, (unless you only took pictures on the nice days)

Hard to find the words to say. Enjoy the pilgrims mass in the Cathedral. You will be able to get a seat. I had to find a seat 45 minutes before the mass if I wanted to sit down. I hope you are thrilled by the thunderous tones of the organ and hear the dulcet voice of the nun that opens the mass with a song. Do all the rituals...Hug the Saint, visit the crypt, and touch the tree of Jesse (if it isn't blocked off due to restorations)

A traditional reply to John's "Peace be with you" is... "And with thy spirit."

Sleep well, good and gentle pilgrims.
David, Victoria, Canada.

Robin and I walked into Santiago yesterday at 1:00 PM in cold temperatures (30'S F) and under a brilliant sunny sky. What a perfect way to enter this remarkable city. We are both well and are thankful for not only the gift of this camino but for its safe and successful conclusion. We are spending a lot of time at mass for there is indeed much to give thanks for for these two pilgrims. We are planning to head off to Finisterre on Monday. For now we are enjoying the city and resting our feet. All is well.

John

Congratulations, Robin and John. I've enjoyed reading about your camino. Thank you for sharing.

Have a wonderful time in Finisterre; rest, relax and enjoy!

lynne

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
On Monday Robin and I departed Santiago in cold temps and clear skies on the Camino Fisterre. We have made our way to Negreira , Olveiroa, and are now this evening spending the night in Cee. We will push on to Fisterre tomorrow (Thrsday) to conclude this camino tomorrow. It has been a gorgeous walk with all the usual camino challenges. Our plan is to the walk to Muxia on Friday and then bus back to Santiago. At this point it seems we will spend three nights in Santiago then on to Madrid and then home to Vancouver, Washington. There is so much more to say about this trip that will require a bit more thought before I start pounding the keyboard. But let me encourage anyone who is sitting on the fence considering a camino, just do it. You will not regret it.

Good night from Cee, and peace be with you.

On Monday Robin and I departed Santiago in cold temps and clear skies on the Camino Fisterre. We have made our way to Negreira , Olveiroa, and are now this evening spending the night in Cee. We will push on to Fisterre tomorrow (Thrsday) to conclude this camino tomorrow. It has been a gorgeous walk with all the usual camino challenges. Our plan is to the walk to Muxia on Friday and then bus back to Santiago. At this point it seems we will spend three nights in Santiago then on to Madrid and then home to Vancouver, Washington. There is so much more to say about this trip that will require a bit more thought before I start pounding the keyboard. But let me encourage anyone who is sitting on the fence considering a camino, just do it. You will not regret it.

Good night from Cee, and peace be with you.

Re: Christmas Camino-a few observations

Robin and I finally returned home on Feb 8th. We are still very much in the processing mode from our camino but a few things come to mind that some might find helpful or at least interesting.

The weather (Dec-Jan) was milder than I expected with temps averaging 30-55 F and sometimes hitting the 60's. It was also much drier than expected. We wore or ponchos (all day) only a couple of times and probably only broke them out 5-6 times throughout the entire camino.

We took the valley route up from St. Jean and stayed the night in Valcarlos. This was a very wise move. We had bee traveling for 33 hours when we arrived in St.Jean and although we probably could have made it to the top, why? The jet lag, fatigue etc. made stopping in Valcarlos a great choice. I would recommend this to whoever has to travel a long way too get to the Camino. The Route Napoleon was not recommended when we departed but I found the valley route to be very scenic and a beautiful climb.

No bedbugs while we were on the Camino.

A light pack makes for happy feet and a happy pilgrim. A pack should never exceed 20 pounds and hopefully it weighs a bit less. Remember, there might be times when jackets and things you think you will always be wearing will wind up in the pack (more added weight). Plan and pack accordingly.

Spend money on good boots, a good pack, and perhaps a good sleeping bag (a light one).

Don't take more than two of anything.

A buff was essential.

Take a headlamp. There will be days when an early start is necessary and you can easily get lost (on some parts of the Camino) in that half hour or so of pre-dawn darkness. Either that or just plan on waiting for daylight.

A little red LED from REI on a coiled elastic key chain worn around my wrist at night was perfect for late night trips to the bathroom in the albergues.

The municipal albergue system is great. The services and accommodations were more than I expected and in some cases much more. I think of the one at O'Cebreiro (brand new with a spectacular view). The one by the Cathedral in Burgos was also terrific. There were many others as well.

Bring ear plugs for the albergues. Even with just a few people they can help ensure a good night's sleep.

Be kind to people and they will be kind to you. We found the Spanish people we encountered to be very kind and helpful (even though we don't speak the language).

Don't be selfish. The Camino provides as long as pilgrims are willing to help one another (and most do).

The Camino is not a race to Santiago. Pace yourself so that you can enjoy the experience. You might only get this one chance. Be the experience.

The Camino experience is unique in that it frees your mind from all the usual daily distractions of work and perhaps even family. Be ready for that feeling of openness and the delight of what might fill that space.

Be a good listener. You will learn things that just might change your life.

And finally express your joy for this incredible opportunity. You are blessed and your happiness will be contagious.

Peace, and Buen Camino

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Reb,

Thanks again to you and Paddy for your kind hospitality. It was a wonderful night's stay in your very peaceful home. Your many kindnesses have inspired both Robin and I to be better people. Thank you for that and for taking us in as we passed through Moratinos. See, you just never know how you are going to affect people. You are a great teacher looking for a few good students. Stay with it. They are out there looking for you.

Peace,

John

We finally put together a list of places we stayed (and the mileage walked between those places) during our recent Dec-Jan Camino Frances, and posted it on our blog. We also posted there a video of our Christmas Eve dinner in Santo Domingo. A slide show will eventually also get posted. Enjoy.

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We finally posted a slide show from our Christmas Camino on our blog. For those who have walked the Way before I hope it brings back some fond remembrances, and for those who haven't then this just might encourage you to get going. Enjoy.

John

The weather (Dec-Jan) was milder than I expected with temps averaging 30-55 F and sometimes hitting the 60's. It was also much drier than expected. We wore or ponchos (all day) only a couple of times and probably only broke them out 5-6 times throughout the entire camino.

Just outside of Santiago on December 12th I met three teenagers walking Sarria to Santiago over the weekends. The girl spoke excellent English and told me that this was March weather and not usual for the time of the year.

Did anyone esle notice how low the reservoir at Pontomarin was?

Global warming?

It turned out I was carrying too many clothes as I was expecting it to be much colder than it was.

Thank you to the albergues for having really good heating on at night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For lydiab,

I'm one of those who has done a winter Camino. It's a special experience and I can certainly recommend it. Many albergues are closed but many are open. If you do need to take the option of a hotel or hostal, most are not expensive unless your budget is extremely limited. As an older Australian, I'm in the habit of carrying my own accommodation, but I never had to use my tarp and mat. Quite often you have an albergue all to yourself, at other times you form an intimate company with just a few other winter walkers, which can be very nice.

One thing I learned was not to carry clothes in cold weather, but to wear them. Treat every garment as a layer, not as a spare. Put on rain-gear well in advance, because cold is not lethal unless you also get wet. As far as what rain-gear is best, I'm afraid I'll have to confirm what has been said over and over on this forum: the cheap Altus rain-coat is so good that I abandoned an expensive Goretex jacket and bought an Altus. It covered most of me, and my pack. Condensation was hardly an issue in winter conditions, and in high winds it was useful as an extra wind-resistant layer.

Winter walking is not an isolating experience. You'll always find company on the Camino Frances, regardless of season, and the quiet times of year are a good opportunity to get to know our Spanish hosts.

Just eat lots of garlic soup and if the weather gets truly terrible, take a day off. Nobody dies of resting.

Buen Camino

Rob

Sansol is listed as open April to October. Torres del Rio is listed as open all year. You cannot rely on the internet listings, though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No comment on the Sansol albergue being open in December as we just walked through the village, not looking for lodging, but the village was pretty darn quiet. However, Torres del Rio was open and an Austrian lady, that we occasionally kept company with, had a wonderful stay there while we had a marginal experience in the private hostel in Los Arcos (should have kept on walking).

With regard to winter walking, I too find it a beautiful time of the year to be on the Camino. There are enough companions but not too many, fewer accommodations but with a little planning a bed is always available, weather is always an issue and snow and cold temps should be expected, but it is not an arctic trek and modern technical clothing is both light and warm, the long quiet stretches, especially on the meseta, were stunningly beautiful and peaceful, but most enjoyable for me was the gift of quietude, the escape from the noise and demands of every day life, that allowed me to experience an inner, companion, journey filled with so many thoughts and prayers that I hardly noticed the kilometers slipping past. This defined my Camino and is in large part why, during some winter not too far in the future, I will return. Lest anyone should be misled at the end of each day there was also wine and laughter a plenty. That too beckons me back.

Back