• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas gift help

Purple Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF’12 VF’16 VP w/variants 2022/23 Norte’23
My husband took an ultralight Gossamer Gear pack on the last Camino and it didn't work for him. He wanted more structure (he packed too heavy but that's another story). I'm an Osprey fan so thinking of getting him a 38-44 L men's Osprey pack. But the more I look, then more I can't decide and we live far from the nearest REI. For the tall men out there, what do you think of the Kestrel (being discontinued but can still find it) vs Exos vs Stratos? Many thanks and happy holidays to all!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm 6' 2". I THINK my experience would be relevant to someone +/- four inches from that. Waist-to-shoulder distance is important for a good fit; for me that is 21.5".

I have the Kestrel 44 for going on 10+ years now over 4 Caminos and many other travels. Probably has sat on my body about 7-8 months total. It is still in great shape despite all the use.

B

I'm 6' 2". I THINK my experience would be relevant to someone +/- four inches from that. Waist-to-shoulder distance is important for a good fit; for me that is 21.5".

I have the Kestrel 44 for going on 10+ years now over 4 Caminos and many other travels. Probably has sat on my body about 7-8 months total. It is still in great shape despite all the use.

B
thanks so much, so I assume you like the pack?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband is tall and found that Osprey's old Talon 44 in a L worked very well, but the Talon 36 in the new L/XL is even better, both for the back length and bucket zip opening. For him, the Stratos M/L size was only just about long enough, and the Kestrel also comes in a M/L if I remember correctly? He had an Exos L that he liked but it kept sliding off his hips.
The total height on their pack listings seem to be including the top when it is full, so if back system length is an issue, check these measurements: https://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/osprey-technologies-2/sizing-fit-for-men/
Hope you find the right one!

Last edited:
My husband is tall and found that Osprey's old Talon 44 in a L worked very well, but the Talon 33 in the new L/XL is even better, both for the back length and bucket zip opening. For him, the Stratos M/L size was only just about long enough, and the Kestrel also comes in a M/L if I remember correctly? He had an Exos L that he liked but it kept sliding off his hips.
The total height on their pack listings seem to be including the top when it is full, so if back system length is an issue, check these measurements: https://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/osprey-technologies-2/sizing-fit-for-men/
Hope you find the right one!
Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Hmmm...maybe a gift certificate with a photo of a backpack? I know my husband needed to go try them on loaded with stuff and in the end, he took them all back and got something else completely (6 Moon Designs pack). REI isn't close to use any more either...6 Moon Designs had him send photos and videos of him with the pack on and loaded and gave personal advice on how to best fit it. Much lighter than his old Kestrel, waterproof, etc. vest type instead of shoulder straps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
thanks so much, so I assume you like the pack?
I like it better than any other pack I have ever had - - mainly because of fit and comfort.

Some people can be pretty picky about how they want compartments set up, zipper type, hip belt type, tensioners, etc. And this is fine and good!

My desiderata in those particular areas are limited to basic functionality. Your hubby MAY (likely DOES) have higher standards than me. If so, @J Willhaus provides an excellent reccomendation.

B

I am 188cm and have used an Osprey Stratos on all my Caminos. It has served me very well and I will continue to use it until the pack falls apart (or I do 🤣). Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My husband took an ultralight Gossamer Gear pack on the last Camino and it didn't work for him. He wanted more structure (he packed too heavy but that's another story). I'm an Osprey fan so thinking of getting him a 38-44 L men's Osprey pack. But the more I look, then more I can't decide and we live far from the nearest REI. For the tall men out there, what do you think of the Kestrel (being discontinued but can still find it) vs Exos vs Stratos? Many thanks and happy holidays to all!
I am on my 5th backpack, find a place that sells backpacks, and go there and try them on till he finds one that fits him, the back measurements are just a guide, mine says i should wear medium, tried different brands, finnaly ran into a very experienced hiker, said nope, you need a large, bought a large made for big guy, and been happy since

My partner is 6’6” & big, he did fine with the Stratus 36 in whatever largest size they make it. Or maybe his feet hurt so much that he didn’t notice any problems with the pack 😆

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.