• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas in Santiago

Kialoa3

My wife, Robin, and I will be leaving for Seville on November 2nd. This was a sort of last minute decision, but the thought of spending Christmas in Santiago tipped the scale and so the deed is done. Tickets have been purchased and Camino gear is once again scattered about the house. It is always a great feeling getting ready to go. But, then there is that walking bit...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How exciting! I also love the 'gear scattered about the house' stage :)

Buen Camino to you both. Christmas in Santiago sounds magical.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino to you. And happy Christmas in Santiago. I'll wait eagerly for your updates on Christmas in Santiago, I hope it will be good!

My wife, Robin, and I will be leaving for Seville on November 2nd. This was a sort of last minute decision, but the thought of spending Christmas in Santiago tipped the scale and so the deed is done. Tickets have been purchased and Camino gear is once again scattered about the house. It is always a great feeling getting ready to go. But, then there is that walking bit...
Wow Christmas sounds wonderful!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
God bless you on your Camino and may the Spirit of Christmas guide you and fill your hearts with joy. I am grateful that you shared your plans.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Midnight mass on Christmas Eve in the cathedral is one of the (many) unforgettable experiences of my caminos. Because work was paying, that year I stayed in the parador, which was fun. I especially enjoyed the stares of the well-heeled residents as the muddy tramp-like backpacker was ushered to his luxurious room.

What a great idea.. which I might steal one day... ;)

Buen camino! Merry Christmas in Santiago, we are all waiting for your updates in December!

This sounds like a wonderful plan. We will be watching your beautiful blog (and this forum) for progress reports and thoughts along the Way!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many thanks to all for your support and best wishes. Christmas on any Camino is a special occasion that tends to linger on. Our previous Camino Christmas eve was in the upper dorm at the municipal albergue in Santo Domingo. A cold grey day made us appreciate all the more the shelter we found and the many smiling faces around the festive table warmed our hearts as well. We were blessed to be there. Even the bite of the late December wind that ushered us out of town the next day couldn't dampen our spirits. What joy we felt and shared. Looking forward to this one all the more.

Kialoa3
What a magic time that will be. I'm only dreaming and calculating and wishing .
I'm in same spot as Laurie but sure if it were next year I could play out the dream .
From what I read in your response re Santo Domingo you have previous experience of Christmas on Camino.
One day !
Buen Camino
Annie

€83,-
Kialoa3
What a magic time that will be. I'm only dreaming and calculating and wishing .
I'm in same spot as Laurie but sure if it were next year I could play out the dream .
From what I read in your response re Santo Domingo you have previous experience of Christmas on Camino.
One day !
Buen Camino
Annie

Annie, your dream awaits you. Life has a way of getting around to each of us in turn, and your time will soon come. But, for now savor the joy that awaits you and let that anticipation help keep the fire alight. It is all good once the first step is taken, Christmas or not. Good luck.

John

We are now in Fuentes de Cantos and it has been a wonderful start. The weather has been unusually clement with continuously clear skies and warm temperatures. The scenery we have experienced so far has been stunningly beautiful. Okay there are a few odd bits that don't ring your bell but that happens on any route you walk. All in all it is a beautiful part of Spain.

One interesting note was that the Nature Park that you walk through from Guillena to Almendén de la Plata was closed for a special hunting date (it was over a weekend), that caused all pilgrims to walk the road the full distance to Almendén. I heard that the price for this special hunting license was in the range of 2,000 euros for one day's shooting. They were hunting deer and I guess this park has lots of deer. It was closed on a Saturday (all day) but reopened on Sunday. Why would you think of that? Zafra tomorrow.

Oh my! I've done the first 16 km along the highway twice but was rewarded the walk through the Parque Natural.
On the bright side you didn't have to climb up the Calvario right before the entrance into Almadén.

Hope that you got to stay with Antonio in Zafra. He is a lovely hospitalero. I guess that you must be in Monesterio today.

Have a wonderful Camino. I have never spent Christmas on the Camino but in 2013 I was there on New Year's Eve which was quite special.

Buen Camino and Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have made it to Zamora. All is well. No surprises so far other than some memorable scenery. Pilgrim traffic has been light as would be expected at this time of year. We have had unusually fine weather since we started in early November. Now that I think about it, I guess that qualifies as a surprise. We are planning a lay day in Zamoa and then back at it after that. The pilgrim road stretches before us and there is still much to learn. Adelante!

Hi, Kialoa, your post reminded me about your blog, and I've just whiled away a nice chunk of airport time reading about your advantures. Sounds absolutely lovely, and thank you for the brilliant pictures and heartfelt text. You are bringing the Vdlp back to life for me!

Hope you enjoy your rest day in Zamora, one of the nicest the Vdlp has to offer, IMO. Wishing you and Robin a continued buen camino, Laurie

Good to hear from you! Hope that you will stay with José Almeida in the municipal in Tábara. He offers a communal dinner and breakfast. If you stop by tell him hello from Lee. I stayed with him several days last year. Also I soooo recommend that you take the detour between Riego del Camino and Granja (or from Granja) to see the oldest Cisterciense Monestery in Spain. It is in ruins but oh what amazing ruins. I was so impressed I made the detour on two occasions. Even if it is officially closed you can climb over a low stone wall to get in - well worth your time.

Cheers
LT

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good to hear from you! Hope that you will stay with José Almeida in the municipal in Tábara. He offers a communal dinner and breakfast. If you stop by tell him hello from Lee. I stayed with him several days last year. Also I soooo recommend that you take the detour between Riego del Camino and Granja (or from Granja) to see the oldest Cisterciense Monestery in Spain. It is in ruins but oh what amazing ruins. I was so impressed I made the detour on two occasions. Even if it is officially closed you can climb over a low stone wall to get in - well worth your time.

Cheers
LT
Totally agree with LT on the monastery. I have only been there once, but it was a great detour. They do give free tours if you happen to be there during operating hours, well worth it IMO. You can actually re-route your walk if you leave from Riego to avoid going through Granja completely -- you just hook up with the Camino at a turnoff point for the monastery.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back