• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas in Santiago

Hey hey, happy new year to all!

I was wondering - I'm doing the camino november/december next year right after I finish school and there's a chance I'll be in or around Santiago at Christmas. What are the practicalities about that? Will I be able to find accommodation? Will stuff be open? Should I book ahead?

Has anyone ever arrived in Santiago on Christmas Eve? I think it would be wonderful. Must be pretty festive!

~jo

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Posted by Rosina on the St James forum:

In the Spanish-speaking countries Christmas Eve is called "Nochebuena" (night of goodness, sort-of) and midnight mass is called "Misa de Gallo" (Mass of the rooster), so called because that night is the only night during the year when country roosters crow at midnight. (Mangers, by the way, are called Belens in Spain and Nacimientos or Presepios in the other Spanish-speaking countries.... they are as plentiful in those countries as Christmas trees are in the U.S., some of the mangers are extremely elaborate, and the pieces are passed as family heirlooms from generation to generation.
The Cathedral of Santiago just published the information that a candle-light procession in and around the Cathedral will take place before the "Misa de Gallo", and that the Mass will be celebrated with the Cathedral's full organ complement and the Santiago Choir.
On Christmas day there will be another procession at 11:00 a.m. with an extended exhibition of the Botafumeiro, followed by another solemn Mass with the ancient-instruments orchestra of Santiago. The Archbishop will preside in both Masses, accompanied by the full contingent of the Cathedral.
Those lucky enough to be on Santiago at the time shouldn't miss the celebrations, particularly since representatives of many Friends of the Camino Associations and Confraternities will be there. Tables are set in the three squares for those attending the "Misa de Gallo" with free hot chocolate,"torrijas" and "churros".

Mmh, that sounds wonderful. Just right for a seventeen year old away from her family at Christmas for the first time. Thanks Sil.

Anyone know more on the accommodation issue?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Jo - I don't foresee there being a problem with accommodation. There are lots of hostels and hotels. You will find some recommendations in this forum. If I were you I'd wait until my dates were fixed slightly later in the year and then book.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back