• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas lights in Santiago

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I found these photos on the net - enjoy!

Attachments

• 1782238-Nativity-0.jpg
    1782238-Nativity-0.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 555
  • 1782224-Old-part-of-town-1.jpg
    1782224-Old-part-of-town-1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 556
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sil,

It looks like the Nativity takes up the whole square!

I'd be happy if they even allowed a small one in the square downtown.

I will be putting up my lights 20 Dec...I have a 30 foot fur tree that I fill with lights and since I'm in a field...you can see it for a half mile.

Arn

sillydoll said:
I found these photos on the net - enjoy!

Nice - thanks! Boy, wouldn't it be something to walk into the square at the end of the pilgrimage and be greeted by all those lights and decorations...not to mention hanging out there afterwards and soaking it all in... :arrow:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't care who you are or where you are...the lights have got to motivate and fill you with a sense of good will and pleasure.

Imagine...sitting in the square...with good/or even new friends...a bottle (maybe more) of vinotinto and the lights! Gosh...what an atmosphere.

Now some might think it's cold...and they may be right...but it's the warmth generated by the company and the season that makes it all good!

I remember one Christmas in the UK. I was up at Spanish Gate with cousins from SA...we had snow on the ground up to our boot tops..we walked into the pub...got a sandwich...a pint of dark and went out the back into the garden area. I'll bet that in the summer it was something, but here we were...tables either cleared off or six inches of snow on them. We cleared one off...and for the next two hours had the most fantastic time. I'm not sure if it was the season, the gentry or the ale...but we weren't cold a bit!

Ah for friends...and atmosphere!

Arn

Hi,
The Christmas lighting in Santiago is very sober. Just some items on the Obradoiro and quite a few lights on the Plaza Cervantes and another plaza nearby. De city of SDC spends only 27000 euros extra on X-mas lighting (the santiagosiete newspaper says) and does not want to waste energy like many other cities do. But, Santiago looks nice enough though!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.