• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas on the Camino

MikeB

Hello

I intend to walk from León to Santiago in December, and depending on progress/weather should be spending Christmas Eve at Villafranca or O Cebreiro, and walking on Christmas Day either from Villafranca to O Cebreiro, or from O Cebreiro to Triacastela or Samos (might be a bit ambitious if the weather is iffy).

What is the tradition in Spain? Are there midnight masses? Or just morning masses on Christmas Day? Are there any evening masses?

Does anyone know how I can find out times of masses. I’ve tried googling “navidad misa Cebreiro” etc but found nothing.

I am really excited about this pilgrimage, it will a completely different experience from the summer. I am one who is happy with the crowds and the heat, refuses to race for a bed, and finds the whole experience a spiritually uplifting joy, but this will be a real camino interior, a time for reflexion.

Thanks for your help
Mike

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mike

I suspect you may not be able to source this information in advance unless you e mail the albergues/hostals you will be using. There is a tradition of Midnight Mass in Spain but remember that in rural areas priests are few and far between often with one priest serving many parishes. Daily Mass is almost invariably in the evening. I usually ask where I am staying or in the bar adjacent to the church - neither have been the most reliable sources of information :)

Good luck in the quest and it would be good to know what you discover.

Buen Camino when it comes.

John

Hi Mike.

There's both masses, but i depends on where you are in this moment. Ask, may be one or two days before, in any church.

Going to a "practical" information, on 25th you can find problems to take a breakfast and may be to take lunch. Not in the "Ave Fenix" in Villafranca, but in Cebreiro. And possibly the same problem to take dinner the 24th, and to buy some food.

Have a muy buen Camino.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
O Cebreiro's parish website is at http://www.diocesisdelugo.org/ocebreiro/
I'm sure they'll be happy to put you up at the hospederia, but it might be a good idea to email/call them first to check. Be prepared for cold - snow is by no means impossible!

Mass times for Astorga diocese at http://www.archicompostela.org/Peregrin ... storga.htm
As Javier says, Villafranca should not be a problem as regards food/accommodation, but you could check with the diocesan office at Ponferrada when you pass through as regards Xmas masses.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back