• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Church at Hontanos

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This could be a fun game! I think I can recognise 8 out of 16.

Mahatma Gandhi (row 1, far right)
Brother Roger of Taize, Martin Luther, Saint Teresa of Avila (row 2, 1-3)
Malala Yousafzai and Martin Luther King Jr. (row 3, 1&2)
Mother Teresa of Calcutta and Archbishop Desmond Tutu (row 4, 2&3)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Top left might be our own @VNwalking :) If not perhaps she can help us out with that one.
Hahaha. Nice thought, @Bradypus, but I think you've been in Japan with the cherry blossoms too long. :p
perhaps she can help us out with that one.
Unfortunately I'm useless. It's a distant blurry photo - and whomever it is is in a Tibetan lineage (which I am not), and there are literally hundreds of possibilities out there. It does not look like the Dalai Lama or the Panchen Lama. I don't know.:oops:

Photo 1: Ani Choying Drolma from Nepal
Photo 3: Prof. Dora Akunyili from Nigeria
Photo 8: Dr. Wangari Muta Maathai from Kenia
Photo 12: Iqbal Masih from Pakistan
Photo 13: not found, I'll keep looking...
Photo 16: Charles de Foucauld from France

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was ready to suggest that No. 3 is Anne Nnenna Nnaji a Nobel Prize winner in literature from South Africa. However the clothing would definitely suggest a woman from West Africa.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm seriously impressed.
And that's hard to do.
Well done, @Purky - and all!
This last person looks South-east Asian to me.
Sombath Somphone from Laos?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I sort of regret this now, in particular since it looks like this inside (see below) ... not something you see everywhere and I don't mean the altar space / retablo

I went in when I stayed overnight in Hontanas in autumn 2016. Can't recall seeing the photos then so they may be newer or perhaps I was just not very observant. I do remember being impressed by the effort made to make it a welcoming and prayerful place for speakers of many languages. With so many churches along the Frances being locked or apparently neglected it stood out in my mind.

All I can say is - you lot are brilliant and thank you so so much. I sat in the church and meditated. It was beautiful. One of those rare moments on the camino. Beautiful space for contemplation. I neglected to get the literature on these remarkable sentient beings. Now I am giving a talk at Probus and thought I had better know all thwir names!!!! Great work and keep me posted if you get number 13. Is there a message here? I wonder .....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can anyone tell me the names of the 16 (left to right) 'saints' 'remarkable beings' on the church wall at Hontanos.
Excuse my ignorance but I can only name 4 with certainty.
Hi there, I'm Helen, I did the Camino last fall with my husband. The shrine at the church (Parish of the Immaculate Conception) in Hontanas was very moving. I picked up the brochure and still have it. The person you are looking for is Bai Fang Li. He was Chinese. The man's story is told in the brochure but it is quite long. Long story short: he was a pedicab driver who lived a spartan life in order to give his earnings to an orphanage in his city. He died at the age of 90 in 2005, having given about 60K euros (equivalent) over the years. He was declared as one of the ten people who 'most touched the heart of China' by Central China Television in 2004.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The person behind this welcoming church and photo display is Fr. Fran, the parish priest in Hontanas. He is a true camino guy, he´s walked the Way several times, and has now turned the parish house into a donativo "Casa de Acogida" for pilgrims who want or need to stop and stay a while.

Thankyou Helen - puzzle solved. I am giving a talk for Probus on my trip and just wanted to be positive I had the names right. Wish I had picked up the brochure. I think I was travelling light and mean!!!

Hi there, I'm Helen, I did the Camino last fall with my husband. The shrine at the church (Parish of the Immaculate Conception) in Hontanas was very moving. I picked up the brochure and still have it. The person you are looking for is Bai Fang Li. He was Chinese. The man's story is told in the brochure but it is quite long. Long story short: he was a pedicab driver who lived a spartan life in order to give his earnings to an orphanage in his city. He died at the age of 90 in 2005, having given about 60K euros (equivalent) over the years. He was declared as one of the ten people who 'most touched the heart of China' by Central China Television in 2004.
Hi Helen. Are you saying that the man in the lower left photo is Bai Fang Li? Who is left column second from the top? I think I’ve got the others. Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back