A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Church in Castrojeriz

Camino Badges

m108

Camino(s) past & future
2011-2016
Church at the exit of Castrojeriz. Does anyone have an idea why the Pentagram is facing like it?61001

Last edited:

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
Can't answer your query but I was intrigued to see the skull and crossbones on the church. I saw that again recently on a church on the Portuguese Camino. Does anyone know the significance?

malingerer

Can't answer your query but I was intrigued to see the skull and crossbones on the church. I saw that again recently on a church on the Portuguese Camino. Does anyone know the significance?
reply to both. Could be Knights Templar.

The Malingerer.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
What was the connection with Knights Templar? Did they use this cross bones symbol?

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
Can't answer your query but I was intrigued to see the skull and crossbones on the church.
I think the skull and crossbones are on the Santo Domingo church which is sort of in the middle of Castrojeriz. The photo above with the window above the west portal shows the San Juan church at the end of Castrojeriz.

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
Church at the exit of Castrojeriz. Does anyone have an idea why the star is facing like it?View attachment 61001
@m108, I think you want to know why the tracery (I think that's the name in English) of the window has the shape of a pentagram and why, out of all the innumerous possible positions, they decided on a position where one of the five pointed ends is at the very bottom of the circular window, right?

To think that we walked around all the sides of this church and didn't even notice this ... 🥳

m108

Camino(s) past & future
2011-2016
@m108, I think you want to know why the tracery (I think that's the name in English) of the window has the shape of a pentagram and why, out of all the innumerous possible positions, they chose a position where one of the five pointed ends is at the very bottom of the circular window, right?

To think that we walked around all the sides of this church and didn't even notice this ... 🥳
Right😊

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
I am aware that all these numbers can have meaning in Gothic architecture but when I see something like this church in Castrojeriz that doesn't rank among the great Gothic masterpieces - and I actually love to look at all these more modest efforts - I tend to think that they picked this motif because they didn't have the money and skills to go for something more elaborate, for example like the tracery in the photo below where I can see three pentagrams and two of them are ""upside down"".

Cinqfoil Canterbury.png

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
I was intrigued to see the skull and crossbones on the church. I saw that again recently on a church on the Portuguese Camino. Does anyone know the significance?
A common explanation says that it is a memento mori, a reminder that you and I and everyone else will die eventually. Quite popular in the Middle Ages and of course with medieval pilgrims as one aspect of pilgrimage was their concern about what will happen after death and any safety measures that one can take while on earth. You can make out the words O MORS O AETERNITAS (Oh death, oh eternity) above the two skulls and crossbones in Castrojeriz.

o mors o aeternitas.png

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Based on Renaissance-era occultism, says Wikipedia, the pentagram found its way into the symbolism of modern occultists. Wikipedia is not always reliable but I take their word for it. In addition, someone in the 19th century came up with the idea that a pentagram in the position as shown in the first photo in this thread - with one "foot" instead of two - is a bad thing or evil or ultra-mysterious. I'm not sure from what time the Castrojeriz window dates exactly but I'm pretty confident that the medieval builders knew nothing about Renaissance occultism, a French occult author and ceremonial magician from the 19th century or occultist beliefs of the 21st century. How the Castrojeriz window gained its notoriety is anyone's guess.

Pentagram patterns in Gothic windows can be found elsewhere. Below is a photo of the North transept window in the famous cathedral of Amiens in the North of France - the hotbed of Gothic architecture. Can you see the pattern 😊? Perhaps the architect/master mason for Castrojeriz did his apprenticeship in Amiens or he was a pilgrim from France who ended up in Castrojeriz? There's no limit to our imagination. 🙃

Screenshot 2019-07-10 at 19.52.00.png

Last edited:

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hey, Marina!

You on the CF right now? Good if you are :)

Be safe!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 155 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%