• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Church Marriage Blessing on Camino

Steve Hackman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015, 2017)
Muxia & Fisterra (2015)
Via Francigena (2018)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi all,

In April 2017 I will do the Camino Frances for the second time but this time will be bringing along my wife, parents, and and my son. April will also be when my wife and I celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I was going to try to see if one of the priests who perform a pilgrim's blessing at Mass would be willing to perform a quick blessing as my wife and I renew our marriage vows in front of our family. (like 1 minute) Has anyone had an "extra" function performed by a priest on the camino?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What SY said...also, if you are renewing your marriage vows, you'll want to carry an official copy of your Catholic marriage certificate with you. While the anniversary blessing is no big deal, most priests or deacons would want to verify that you were married in the church before renewing vows in order to avoid accidentally receiving the vows of a couple who don't meet the requirements for marriage in the Church.

Grace+Peace

-Jason

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola - I think doing a Camino together in the 25th year of your marriage is a wonderful idea. Couples regularly request prayers and a blessing when celebrating their anniversary. Out on the Camino you may have to ask for this in Spanish. The Camino Chaplaincy for English speakers is usually operating in Santiago and in one or two locations on the Camino Frances from mid April /May. However there are some priests in Santiago and on the Camino Frances who speak sufficient English and would be happy to do this for you. Email me nearer the time and I'll send you the information.

Last edited:
Hola - I think doing a Camino together in the 25th year of your marriage is a wonderful idea. Couples regularly request prayers and a blessing when celebrating their anniversary. Out on the Camino you may have to ask for this in Spanish. The Camino Chaplaincy for English speakers is usually operating in Santiago and in one or two locations on the Camino Frances from mid April /May. However there are some priests in Santiago and on the Camino Frances who speak sufficient English and would be happy to do this for you. Email me nearer the time and I'll send you the information.
Wonderful Johnnie, That sounds great. I will contact you again closer to the date. Thanks as well Jason & SYates!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What SY said...also, if you are renewing your marriage vows, you'll want to carry an official copy of your Catholic marriage certificate with you. While the anniversary blessing is no big deal, most priests or deacons would want to verify that you were married in the church before renewing vows in order to avoid accidentally receiving the vows of a couple who don't meet the requirements for marriage in the Church.

Grace+Peace

-Jason
Given that Catholics don't actually repeat the promises, not a problem.

I was blessed to be with DH at Cana last fall and our pastor, who was with our group on the pilgrimage, had all the couples line up together after Mass, then we "Remembered" that we had pledged to each other. "Moonie style" because there were 7 couples. Then he blessed the whole lot of us. (At Cana, there is a Franciscan convent right outside and you can get a blank certificate of renewal there and take it to the priest later to add his signature alongside the signature of the custodian of the shrine. Fill in your own names and dates of course, I used the date file in our photo to do that part.) It's not possible under that setup to accidentally marry someone, there aren't any vows used. And our pastor used The Book for it, so we know he did it right.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I think this is a wonderful idea did it happen and if so how. As I would like to do something similar for my fiancee next year
Sadly, it didn't occur in the way I wanted, but my wife and I walked the whole Camino and she got hooked. We are eyeing opening a private albergue on the Camino Portugueses

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back