• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Church Run Albergues - Camino Frances

GailGwyn

Time of past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi, we're going to be walking the Camino Frances at the end of April. I'd really like to stay in albergues that are run by volunteers or the church. It's important to me to make this Camino a religious/spiritual pilgrimage as far as possible. Last time we walked, I missed out on some wonderful places that I only read about after. I wondered if anyone on the forum might have a list of such albergues? Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Look on Gronze for albergue parroquial.

Look on Gronze for albergue parroquial.

Thank you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Asociacion Acogida Cristiana (ACC) https://www.facebook.com/acc.web/ was designed for this, but it's debateable whether they've met the expectation or not. Several albergues staffed by Hosvol volunteers are parish-run; and a few are run by the religious order that lives alongside. I don't know if there is a comprehensive list of them all... some parochhials are as rinsed-free of sprirituality as a corporate cafeteria, while others are complete lights in the darkness (Tosantos, Granon, Santa Maria in Carrion, Santa Cruz in Sahagun, and the Cistercian albergue in Sto. Domingo de la Calzada...and the Benedictinas in Leon all spring to mind)...

Asociacion Acogida Cristiana (ACC) https://www.facebook.com/acc.web/ was designed for this, but it's debateable whether they've met the expectation or not. Several albergues staffed by Hosvol volunteers are parish-run; and a few are run by the religious order that lives alongside. I don't know if there is a comprehensive list of them all... some parochhials are as rinsed-free of sprirituality as a corporate cafeteria, while others are complete lights in the darkness (Tosantos, Granon, Santa Maria in Carrion, Santa Cruz in Sahagun, and the Cistercian albergue in Sto. Domingo de la Calzada...and the Benedictinas in Leon all spring to mind)...
Thank you Rebekah. I'll make a note of the ones you mention and will look at the link. I do remember stopping for refreshments at a place advertising 'free hugs'. It was full, but I remember thinking that if I ever return I'd like to stay there, but I can't remember where it was, or the name of the albergue. Can anyone help?

Are you looking for albergues run by volunteers or the church or both? Plenty of volunteer ones out there that have little to no “spirit”. Others, like the aforementioned Tosantos/Grañon/etc are lovely and spiritual, but not specifically religious.

While the parochial albergue in Logrono is pretty sterile physically, we found dinner and the evening reflection in the church (accessed through a “secret” door and hallway) to be quite moving. Zubiri also has a nice one run by a private group but assisted by the nuns who live there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are you looking for albergues run by volunteers or the church or both? Plenty of volunteer ones out there that have little to no “spirit”. Others, like the aforementioned Tosantos/Grañon/etc are lovely and spiritual, but not specifically religious.

While the parochial albergue in Logrono is pretty sterile physically, we found dinner and the evening reflection in the church (accessed through a “secret” door and hallway) to be quite moving. Zubiri also has a nice one run by a private group but assisted by the nuns who live there.
Thank you Vacajoe. I would like to stay at albergues with 'spirit' whether or not they are run by the church. I stayed at Granon last time and loved it. I would have liked to stay in more albergues similar to that one. I would like the chance to attend Mass as often as is possible too. I think most towns/villages seem to have Mass around 7p.m, but again, sometimes I missed this. More attention needed this time around :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember in Viana, the parochial albergue was nice and we had discussions and prayer after the communal diner. Grañon was a great highlight of my camino and in Ligonde, the Fuente del Peregrino was also a place with a « spirit ».

San Miguel in Estella (top of the hill) is also parochial. We served there in 2019, but pilgrim Mass was only one day per week instead of daily like at some of the others.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some simple albergues (no electricity) located in Churches or former churches are San Anton and one right before you cross the river after Castrojeriz. Sorry I don't remember the name, but they do foot washing there.

Some simple albergues (no electricity) located in Churches or former churches are San Anton and one right before you cross the river after Castrojeriz. Sorry I don't remember the name, but they do foot washing there.
Thank you

I feel the same way OP. My next Camino I hope to make it more religious/spiritual. One of my favourites was Zabaldika. I am not sure if it is open right now or not though. We were able to spend time in the church and leave prayer requests on sticky notes. We also got to ring a very old bell. There was Mass, a communal supper and a very beautiful prayer/discussion time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I feel the same way OP. My next Camino I hope to make it more religious/spiritual. One of my favourites was Zabaldika. I am not sure if it is open right now or not though. We were able to spend time in the church and leave prayer requests on sticky notes. We also got to ring a very old bell. There was Mass, a communal supper and a very beautiful prayer/discussion time.
We visited there last time. Someone told us about the beautiful church and about ringing the bell. Sadly, we didn't stay there as we were booked in at Pamplona and had stayed in Zubiri, so hadn't walked far.

I had decided that we would definitely stay there this time, but unfortunately they won't be open in early May when we're walking. I think someone posted that they'll open in June.

I hope you get to stay there again.

@GailGwyn, I'm really curious about your experience on the Camino. Did you find places that met your expectations? I'm going within some weeks, so I'm open to suggestions :)
Recently someone told me about Oasis Trails, in Villa mayor de monjardin. Auberge run by christians and with a religious evening program, he told me.

Recently someone told me about Oasis Trails, in Villa mayor de monjardin. Auberge run by christians and with a religious evening program, he told me.
I stayed there in July and it was a lovely (though very warm) night. Very welcoming and friendly place and we had a nice dinner.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@GailGwyn, I'm really curious about your experience on the Camino. Did you find places that met your expectations? I'm going within some weeks, so I'm open to suggestions :)
Hi, I haven't heard of Oasis Trails. Maybe someone else on the forum may know of them?
You'll have a wonderful time on Camino. Just be open to experiences and enjoy 😊

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back