A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Churches on The Ingles

RumAndChupacabras

Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
Are there not as many churches on the Ingles as perhaps, other Caminos (relatively, of course)? 🤔 After looking through a few guides and online, I don't want to assume that churches might be a bit sparse because, I really luv visiting them.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
Are there not as many churches on the Ingles as perhaps, other Caminos (relatively, of course)? 🤔 After looking through a few guides and online, I don't want to assume that churches might be a bit sparse because, I really luv visiting them.
The only church I found open between Ferrol and SdC last May was the one on the entrance to Betanzos. Dark, gloomy and empty.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
Sorry, that must have sounded depressing. I'm sure that there are lovely churches along the CI I just never had the fortune to come across one that was open.
I very much look forward to a period of rest and quiet contemplation when I reach a church, just didn't have much of an opportunity last spring - probably missed out on some wonders!

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
Sorry, that must have sounded depressing.I very much look forward to a period of rest and quiet contemplation when I reach a church...
No worries! I appreciate your straight forward reply. I want to walk 'something' (the last 100km) with churches, that isn't scorching hot because, heat kicks my Heine!

peb

Camino(s) past & future
C. Ingles March 2018
On the Ferrol to Pontedeume section: Ferrol Cathedral, the 12th century San Martin de Xubia, the Church of Santa Maria at Neda, and the 12th century Parish church at Pontedeume were all delights.

On the Pontedeume to Betanzos section, the Ingles passes the Romanesque church of San Miguel at Breamo and the Church of San Martino at Timbre. Betanzos cathedral in the main square is impressive, but better still is the white stone Franciscan church further into
the city.

On the Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma section, San Estaban at Cos is a nice little church.

On the Hospital de Bruma to Sigueiro section, make sure you try to see the Church or San Paio at Buscas.

On the Sigueiro to Santiago section, the Ingles runs round the back of the church of Nosa Senora at Agualda.

not all of the above churches will be open, but often knocking on the vicarage, or house next door can elicit a key to the church, and then you have the place all to yourself.

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
...not all of the above churches will be open, but often knocking on the vicarage, or house next door can elicit a key to the church, and then you have the place all to yourself...
THANKS, @peb ! I had completely forgotten about the several churches on the Portugues that opened specifically for the 3 of us, once we tried to get in!!!

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
I like San Francisco church in Betanzos. There is the tomb of knight Fernán Pérez de Andrade who built the tower of Pontedeume in 14th century.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/?/Invierno ('19)
I went to mass at the church in Siguero, which had open hours...but everything else we passed (walking from A Coruna) was shut.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (from Ferrol June 2014)
Camino Portuguese (from Tui May 2015)
There’s a small chapel across the road from Bar Avelina, which is on both legs of the route. The ladies in the café-bar can get the key from the neighbor who holds it and take you over, time permitting. There’s also a large century tree that is a neat photo op.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%