• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cigar stores on the Camino

DaveK

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
Hi! I'm an avid cigar smoker (no judgement please) and am curious as to the existence and frequency of tobacconists along the route from St. Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela. I'm not really interested in cigarettes and their purveyors, solely full-sized cigars, regardless of origin. Any and all help from anyone who has experience with this on the Camino would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Dave,

Not to worry! There are estancos in all big and small cities, and some large villages. Look for the ESTANCO sign in maroon & goldish color; that's your place to replenish!

Ultreia!

Mary

Hi Dave!
I could have sworn my husband posed your query!
He does enjoy unwinding at the end of a ‘long’ day with an OCCASIONAL Cuban cigar (no judgment please)!

Thank you Mary!
Now when things get tough, I know the promise of the maroon & gold colored ESTANCO sign will serve as his possible motivation… LOL!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cigars are better than cigarettes any day, although I have to say that I prefer the smell of a pipe to anything else. Do they make sweet smelling cigars?

Cuba. Seriously, I went there last year and had a great trip. Don't waste your time and money on the Camino, go to Cuba.

Hi Newfydog,

Cuba indeed is an unexploited jewel (well, almost) that is worth visiting! So much history, wonderful people and beautiful surroundings, and yes, great cigars! Smoking an habanero and being there must be so satisfying for some; but having a cigar after a hard trek along the Camino is a completely different experience. Plus the inspiration and motivation for doing the Camino would not compare to that of a tourist in Cuba.
I hope Dave you enjoy your cigars along the Camino! The Camino is an experience you do not want to miss. Cuba, you can visit some other time :D

Ultreia!

Mary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are plenty of hard treks in Cuba..and lots of easy ways to do the Camino. I'd say Cuba is changing even faster than the Camino and would recommend going there now. The beach resorts will always be there but the horse carts of the remote villages will be changing soon.

Attachments

• cuba2.JPG
    cuba2.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 340
  • cuba 1.JPG
    cuba 1.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 337
I love your pictures Newfydog! When did you visit and how long where you there? Do you have any information available for different treks in Cuba? Do you have any more pictures? I would enjoy seeing Cuban trails and countryside. There is a marvelous Irish author, her name is Dervla Murphy. She has been traveling the world for a few decades and writing about her observations of people and culture. Dervla has biked several times in Africa, she walked the Andes with her daughter Rachel who was 10 or 11 at the time and like in all her journeys, she gets close to the life of the people. Anyway, the reason I mention her is because she also biked around Cuba recently on several occasions and wrote a book called "The Island that Dared"; it a great read! Having gone through many acute circumstances her books are rich in information and funny as well.

Mary

We spent a couple of weeks there in December. We were just checking out the place and snorkeling. We visited a resort for far far too long (two days) then rented a car and headed for back roads picking up hitch hikers for guides and staying in private homes.

We lined up some guided hikes at the Vinales National Park, and talked to many cyclists. My wife want to bike there. I'm worried I might starve. We both would like to hike in the mountains some more.

Neither of us like cigars.

send a PM for more, didn't mean to hijack the cigar thread. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not a smoker of anything, but I count a few cigar aficionade among my friends-- the tobacco shops in every town along the Camino appear to have a good selection of cigars. When buying stamps in the evenings, I would often see locals (men-- I have not seen Spanish women with cigars, in spite of the opera) carefully purchase their cigar for their evening smoke. You should have no trouble finding what you need.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.