• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Italy - Cinque Terre

Tali

5-time Perigrina
Time of past OR future Camino
15, 17, 18, & 22 - CF
18 - CE
22 - CN
23 - CFin/M
Can anyone make a recommendation for a guidebook for the Cinque Terre in Italy? And your impressions if you’ve walked it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's stunningly beautiful. It is a one day hike. Catch a train to La Spezia Centrale from several locations (ie Pisa). Then get a train to any of the 5 towns. Vernazza happens to be my favorite of the 5 towns. Certainly do not need a guide book. It is a great day for sure.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just an addition. The 5 towns in order from east to west are: Riomaggiorre (if you are going to skip one this is it), Manorola (very nice), Corniglia (Very cool - #2 in my opinion), Vernazza (stay at La Mala if you can!!) and then Monterosso (lots of people actually take a boat from Vernazza to Monterosso instead of hiking it). I've done the hike several times.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a guidebook for the Cinque Terre in Italy? And your impressions if you’ve walked it.
We walked it last year. Check it because the trail between the southernmost towns were closed due to rock slides. Still worth seeing with a short train ride.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was there for a week with my family and good friends from Italy. It was way back in the summer of 1996. It is really beautiful. Walked almost every day between the towns. It is beautiful. A guidebook is definately not needed to walk. Restaurant recommendations are far more important haha.

Last September, I spent two half-days and one night in the village of Monterroso. I should have scheduled three (3) full days or more to enjoy what the villages had offered.

I stayed in Hotel Marina, https://www.hotelmarina5terre.it/, which rooms were well equipped and its all-you-can-eat buffet-breakfast was superb.

Lessons learned:
#1) My schedule was tight, didn't fit around the boat schedule, as such, I didn't have much time to view the villages from the boat. The boats were crowded.

#2) Attempted to hike the section trail between Monterroso and Vernassa in one morning, but gave up after paid the fee. If I had a hiking pole and more time set aside for the hike, I might be able to complete it. The initial "phase" of this section was climbing up with big steps, a hiking pole was helpful for me.

There is a guidebook but you don't need it.

The Rick Steve's' video from 2014 on YouTube shows good visuals.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I knew this was the group to reach out to about Cinque Terre. Thank you for all your thoughts and advice! If you have recommendations for lodging and restaurants, I'd love to hear. (Thank you dfox and stevedjq for your recommendations).

You don't need a guidebook, but.....

I walked it in 2014 starting in Riomaggiore. At that time I was told there were seaside boardwalks connecting Riomaggiore to Manarola and on to Corniglia, but that they were under repair and out of order. I would needed to hike over the hills to the east. I was told that the boardwalks significantly shortened the hiking distance and were much easier than the hill route. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to find the trailhead (not speaking Italian and starting at dawn). A map would have facilitated my quest. After that, the trail was fairly well marked. I estimated that I walked about 12 miles total. Some pretty steep hills. (I found out later that night that one of my friends had busted her knee pretty good slipping on the wet stones). I did not know anything about trekking poles in those years, but they sure would have helped.

Stopping for about an hour in each of the 4 subsequent villages for snacks, drinks and sightseeing, it was late afternoon by the time I was ready to return from Monterosso. I hung around dockside drinking beers until I heard a group of English speakers discussing return options and boat prices, and then I infiltrated the group to split the price of the boat ride back to Rio.

At that time, the villages produced their own wines, but in such a small quantity that it was only available to locals and tourists passing through. Some of it was fantastic. Be sure to sample. Might slow your trek a tad!

Earlier in this post they say some trails were closed due to rockslides. I seem to remember that rockslides are what closed the oceanside boardwalk trails. Even if there are also rockslides in the hill trails, one could certainly bushwack around them. Be sure you check all trail conditions and options before you start. Get a map and compass, heck, you can probably download a trial guide-map from Alltrails or some such. I seem to recall internet was not always available during my hike.

Also, some sections of the trail required payment, maybe 5 euro??? Check that too.

You don't need a guidebook, but.....

I walked it in 2014 starting in Riomaggiore. At that time I was told there were seaside boardwalks connecting Riomaggiore to Manarola and on to Corniglia, but that they were under repair and out of order. I would needed to hike over the hills to the east. I was told that the boardwalks significantly shortened the hiking distance and were much easier than the hill route. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to find the trailhead (not speaking Italian and starting at dawn). A map would have facilitated my quest. After that, the trail was fairly well marked. I estimated that I walked about 12 miles total. Some pretty steep hills. (I found out later that night that one of my friends had busted her knee pretty good slipping on the wet stones). I did not know anything about trekking poles in those years, but they sure would have helped.

Stopping for about an hour in each of the 4 subsequent villages for snacks, drinks and sightseeing, it was late afternoon by the time I was ready to return from Monterosso. I hung around dockside drinking beers until I heard a group of English speakers discussing return options and boat prices, and then I infiltrated the group to split the price of the boat ride back to Rio.

At that time, the villages produced their own wines, but in such a small quantity that it was only available to locals and tourists passing through. Some of it was fantastic. Be sure to sample. Might slow your trek a tad!

Earlier in this post they say some trails were closed due to rockslides. I seem to remember that rockslides are what closed the oceanside boardwalk trails. Even if there are also rockslides in the hill trails, one could certainly bushwack around them. Be sure you check all trail conditions and options before you start. Get a map and compass, heck, you can probably download a trial guide-map from Alltrails or some such. I seem to recall internet was not always available during my hike.

Also, some sections of the trail required payment, maybe 5 euro??? Check that too.
Yes, I drank wine at someone's house as I was walking. I think it was between Levanto and Monterosso as I walked over the hill the first time. I stayed in Levanto as it was cheaper and easy to access Cinque Terra by rail or path. I was actually able to drive to Levanto, but not the five villages of course. Lovely seafood dinners where I had one of those "sampling of the sea" courses with about 20 different little plates brought out with different sea creatures and preparations. After that, the waiter brought out three different fresh fish on a board for my family to choose to have them cook for the next course...some vivid memories.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have walked the cinque Terra several times. If you want to extend your trip,
Consider starting in Camogli making a day hike to Portofino

There is a lot of info available online regarding organized/walking tours that will give you Suggested itineraries. Book ahead if you are walking from May onward.

Yes, I drank wine at someone's house as I was walking. I think it was between Levanto and Monterosso as I walked over the hill the first time. I stayed in Levanto as it was cheaper and easy to access Cinque Terra by rail or path. I was actually able to drive to Levanto, but not the five villages of course. Lovely seafood dinners where I had one of those "sampling of the sea" courses with about 20 different little plates brought out with different sea creatures and preparations. After that, the waiter brought out three different fresh fish on a board for my family to choose to have them cook for the next course...some vivid memories.
J Willhaus, WOW! What a description. Now you are making me want to go back to Italy. Haven’t been there since 2015

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had first heard of the Cinque Terre from a Rick Steve's video over a dozen years ago.
On a cruise in the fall of 2019 one of the optional side tours was to the Cinque Terre, taking ferries between each of the colorful villages; a lovely day with lunch, but no walking from one village to the next.

One of the most beautiful places - happy trails! I agree with comments above, a guidebook is not necessary, but I enjoyed the following guide from the Touring Club of Italy. While it was published 20 years ago, the real appeal is a great wealth of historical background, which does not go out of date and makes for fascinating reading.

In Monterosso al Mare, treat yourself to focaccia spread with pesto. You can pick one up from your choice of bakeries and take it to eat right on the beach. It's heavenly. 😇

Impressions of Cinque Terra..hilly, wonderful views along the coast, Italian pasta❤️, huge crowds (busier than Sarria to SdC), There are limited and expensive accommodations. Don’t expect to walk in and find accommodations readily available. Portovenere ( also expensive) is a fantastic base to explore Cinque Terre, though not one of the 5 towns. You can walk from there or you can catch a ferry from there connecting you to all the 5 towns. . Bus or ferry connects you to Portovenere, but it has no train connection. Train from LaSpezia connects you to all five towns. If you walk between all of the five towns you will need to purchase a Card for hiking the blue trail between Monterosso, Vernazza and Corniglia. All other trails are free. I used a Rick Steves guide to the Cinque Terra and later justonline information about alternate hikes. I would not stay in the 5 towns anymore…too may people.! We stay further away. Last time, we stayed north in Rapallo before Santa Margherita Ligure and Porto Fino. Rapallo is on the train line.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, I am walking from Rome to Santiago ( in stages) and recently walked through this area. I found the hike down into Riomaggiore from Telegrafo very difficult. Many flights of steep tall steps, possibly ok for a man but difficult for my legs. With the backpack on my balance is a bit off and I was pretty scared ! I think with a day pack it would have been alright. I intended to walk to Corniglia , I already knew lower trails connecting Riomaggiore to Manarola and Corniglia were closed and i had intended to walk the higher routes but was too traumatised by then so took the train!. The next day i walked the lower route between Corniglia and Vernazza which was lovely and then the route up to the sanctuaries which started out well but I was scrambling over rocks on my knees in parts. There was quite a few people about even in February. It is a lovely area to visit perhaps not with an enormous backpack. The walks are well signposted and there are big maps showing all the routes.

**Side note** - Great restaurant- "Belvedere" - under the train tracks in Monterosso

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, I am walking from Rome to Santiago ( in stages) and recently walked through this area. I found the hike down into Riomaggiore from Telegrafo very difficult. Many flights of steep tall steps, possibly ok for a man but difficult for my legs. With the backpack on my balance is a bit off and I was pretty scared ! I think with a day pack it would have been alright. I intended to walk to Corniglia , I already knew lower trails connecting Riomaggiore to Manarola and Corniglia were closed and i had intended to walk the higher routes but was too traumatised by then so took the train!. The next day i walked the lower route between Corniglia and Vernazza which was lovely and then the route up to the sanctuaries which started out well but I was scrambling over rocks on my knees in parts. There was quite a few people about even in February. It is a lovely area to visit perhaps not with an enormous backpack. The walks are well signposted and there are big maps showing all the routes.
Lower routes are easier especially with heavy packs. I know there are private companies to send your pack ahead (find online) for the cinque terra. I think they were abt €20 per bag. However we didn’t schlepp our packs, nor carry them, rather we moved our base every couple of days. We walked north or south mostly, using several towns between Comogli and Portovenere, then used local transport to return to our base. We rented apartments for 2-3 days at a time. Mostly, we lunched out and cooked the other meals in the apartments. Italians are not big on breakfast anyway.

Last edited:
Lower routes are easier especially with heavy packs. I know there are private companies to send your pack ahead (find online) for the cinque terra. I think they were abt €20 per bag. However we didn’t schlepp our packs, nor carry them, rather we moved our base every couple of days. We walked north or south mostly, using several towns between Comogli and Portovenere, then used local transport to return to our base. We rented apartments for 2-3 days at a time. Mostly, we lunched out and cooked the other meals in the apartments. Italians are not big on breakfast anyway.
This is a really good idea, there is a train stopping at every place between Genoa and La Spezia. I could have walked each day with a nice little day pack. If only I had thought of it! 🤭

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No guidebook needed... I walked 'em. One of the most beautiful walks I've ever done......ever. just fabulous....relatively short walks between towns.....you'lll never forget this part of the world... I cannot wait to go back... Camino (www.livealagom . life). Tom

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
I have just walked the Via della Costa, and posted the following conclusion from my walk on my blog at www.followingyourfeet.com. As this is not a walk that seems very popular I thought I would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.