• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Circuitous Route to Santiago starting from Madrid

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Camino Portuguese and Primitivo
I am wondering about the logistics of walking from Madrid to Sahagun and then taking the Sanabres to Oviedo and from there the Primitivo to Santiago....any thoughts, how long would it take and is it feasible for solo female, seasoned pilgrim, but a bit under the weather post cancer treatments...Would love your thoughts...not totally into albergues any more, sometimes ok, but like to have some solo accommodation in between.
Any other suggestions would be welcome, thinking about Via de la Plata also....have 7 weeks available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am wondering about the logistics of walking from Madrid to Sahagun and then taking the Sanabres to Oviedo and from there the Primitivo to Santiago....any thoughts, how long would it take and is it feasible for solo female, seasoned pilgrim, but a bit under the weather post cancer treatments...Would love your thoughts...not totally into albergues any more, sometimes ok, but like to have some solo accommodation in between.
Any other suggestions would be welcome, thinking about Via de la Plata also....have 7 weeks available.

Gitiharre , seeing your list of past Caminos, I don't doubt your plan for a minute. Seasoned members like @peregrina2000 will be of more assistance. What a wonderful itineray.
All the best with your post treatment!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
7 weeks - or the Camino Levante which has a combination of good weather in the South, going through the great cities of Toledo and Avilla + all of Castilla Leon and Don Quixote country then joining lots of other pilgrims in Zamora!

Whatever you choose - Buen Camino

John
Will check out the Levante! Thank you Johnnie

You always have exciting plans!
Do you mean the San Salvador to Oviedo? The only place starting with O on the Sanabres is Ourense - that one flows logically from the Via de la Plata.

I love the Salvador/Primitivo.
Something you might want to consider is the Via de la Plata/Sanabres option is easier walking - although I don't know what the Madrid route is like.
All the best.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You always have exciting plans!
Do you mean the San Salvador to Oviedo? The only place starting with O on the Sanabres is Ourense - that one flows logically from the Via de la Plata.

I love the Salvador/Primitivo.
Something you might want to consider is the Via de la Plata/Sanabres option is easier walking - although I don't know what the Madrid route is like.
All the best.
Thank you! Yes, I did mean Salvador.
Will do some research. Madrid route has next to no road walking. Very appealing.

Hi, gittiharre,
So good to see you back on the forum, and even more glad to see you are going to be walking again. With 7 weeks, I would second John's suggestion that you consider the Levante. Albergues for about half the stops, but usually non-albergue places are also available. But you are not likely to meet many people. Or you may be lucky like I was -- I met two Frenchmen on day 4 and walked into Santiago with them 6 weeks later!

If you start in Madrid, it's about 2 weeks to Sahagún, then 3 days to León, then 4 or 5 to Oviedo, then two weeks to Santiago. Rough estimates of course, but that's a lot short of 7 weeks. But I have done that exact combination and enjoyed it very much. You will have company, for sure, at least from Sahagún onwards. And if you wanted to keep walking, you could always add on the inglés at the end with an extra week.

When are you walking? That would make a difference to me, too, but that's because I am not a huge fan of really hot temps. I'm also hoping to walk for 7 weeks next year -- starting in Almería on the Mozárabe, so that's another option as well! Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, gittiharre,
So good to see you back on the forum, and even more glad to see you are going to be walking again. With 7 weeks, I would second John's suggestion that you consider the Levante. Albergues for about half the stops, but usually non-albergue places are also available. But you are not likely to meet many people. Or you may be lucky like I was -- I met two Frenchmen on day 4 and walked into Santiago with them 6 weeks later!

If you start in Madrid, it's about 2 weeks to Sahagún, then 3 days to León, then 4 or 5 to Oviedo, then two weeks to Santiago. Rough estimates of course, but that's a lot short of 7 weeks. But I have done that exact combination and enjoyed it very much. You will have company, for sure, at least from Sahagún onwards. And if you wanted to keep walking, you could always add on the inglés at the end with an extra week.

When are you walking? That would make a difference to me, too, but that's because I am not a huge fan of really hot temps. I'm also hoping to walk for 7 weeks next year -- starting in Almería on the Mozárabe, so that's another option as well! Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Peregrina2000 and Johnny et al. I am thinking of leaving early May from somewhere....last year I walked the Porto Santiago Muxia section and Via Gebenennsis. Kind of like the idea of a spanish walk, but don't want to feel nervous alone and like good pilgrim/bed and breakfast infrastructure and manageable stages, no more than 25 km. I have 6 weeks for walking plus a week getting to and from NZ plus rest days. Really open to suggestions.
Via de la Plata seems to have lots of road walking? Madrid route has mixed reviews...is the Levante a better option?
Last year I broke 2nd metatarsal on Via Gebenennsis on day 1 and sprained lisfranc ligament, still managed to get to Le Puy, but want to not overdo it next year, as I am still recovering from the injuries.
This year I am walking Le Puy to Miradoux with friends from New Zealand.
Really value your opinions guys.

@gittiharre have you considered the Norte? It is beautiful and I would feel very confident walking it alone. Like the Camino Francés in that the towns and villages are quite close together. Also excellent alternate accommodation because it is a tourist area - we stayed almost exclusively in pensions and small hotels. There are not nearly as many pilgrims as on the Camino Francés, but enough that you have company - although that is one downside of staying in pensions, you miss out a bit on the pilgrim companionship. If travelling alone I'd probably elect for the albergues, less comfort but more company.
People do complain about road walking, but it was not a problem for us.
You then have the option of turning onto the Primitivo, or continuing along the Norte and walking down through Galicia. We stayed on the Norte and were very happy with our choice.

Hi, gitti,
If you feel nervous alone, I would cross off the Levante, Madrid, and Mozárabe. I started in early May on the Madrid and saw only two other walkers. I walked with them for a few days, up to near Valladolid, but from then on I was alone. BUT... excellent albergue infrastructure, little asphalt, and nice towns to visit. Valladolid is worth a day detour, IMO.

Vdlp from Sevilla has excellent pilgrim infrastructure, and you will have others walking for companionship if you start in early May (I started once in mid April, once in early May and there were never crowds but always others around in the albergues). My feet are pretty sensitive to asphalt, and I do not remember a lot of road walking. The Vdlp has the most spectacular itinerary of any camino I've walked -- Sevilla, Mérida, Cáceres, Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense are some of the country's most historic and beautiful cities and you get to see them all!

Kanga's suggestion of the Norte is also something to think about, but yes there is a lot of asphalt.

I take it you are flying into Madrid or some central spot and can travel to the starting point from there?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you! Yes I will be flying into Madrid. Emirates fly there from New Zealand with only 1 stop. Grueling but efficient.
I'm not super nervous alone, have walked some solitary routes, but since my bladder cancer and a few other issues I prefer not to push the boundaries too much.
I think the Via de la Plata will be a good option for me.
For nostalgic reasons I might walk the Frances one more time too...

Last edited:
@gittiharre have you considered the Norte? It is beautiful and I would feel very confident walking it alone. Like the Camino Francés in that the towns and villages are quite close together. Also excellent alternate accommodation because it is a tourist area - we stayed almost exclusively in pensions and small hotels. There are not nearly as many pilgrims as on the Camino Francés, but enough that you have company - although that is one downside of staying in pensions, you miss out a bit on the pilgrim companionship. If travelling alone I'd probably elect for the albergues, less comfort but more company.
You then have the option of turning onto the Primitivo, or continuing along the Norte and walking down through Galicia. We stayed on the Norte and were very happy with our choice.
I need many more years to walk all these beautiful routes. Thank you.

Hi, gittiharre,

So many options Laurie! Thank you very much for your input.
I am planning to leave mid to end of May....I am thinking 18 days Madrid. 3 to Leon, 8 days Salvador and 18 Primitivo.
Have to take it slowly as my energy levels aren't what they were. A few nights in Santiago and Madrid plus flight time to and from NZ and bingo there you have 7 weeks.
Looking forward to your reports next year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, gitti,
If you feel nervous alone, I would cross off the Levante, Madrid, and Mozárabe. I started in early May on the Madrid and saw only two other walkers. I walked with them for a few days, up to near Valladolid, but from then on I was alone. BUT... excellent albergue infrastructure, little asphalt, and nice towns to visit. Valladolid is worth a day detour, IMO.

Vdlp from Sevilla has excellent pilgrim infrastructure, and you will have others walking for companionship if you start in early May (I started once in mid April, once in early May and there were never crowds but always others around in the albergues). My feet are pretty sensitive to asphalt, and I do not remember a lot of road walking. The Vdlp has the most spectacular itinerary of any camino I've walked -- Sevilla, Mérida, Cáceres, Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense are some of the country's most historic and beautiful cities and you get to see them all!

Kanga's suggestion of the Norte is also something to think about, but yes there is a lot of asphalt.

I take it you are flying into Madrid or some central spot and can travel to the starting point from there?
Goodness! Now I am looking at the Via de la Plata again. Spoilt for choice....

That sounds great too Kanga. I will mull over the options over the next few weeks. I am sure things will fall into place once again.

Thank you! Yes I will be flying into Madrid. Emirates fly there from New Zealand with only 1 stop. Grueling but efficient.
I'm not super nervous alone, have walked some solitary routes, but since my bladder cancer and a few other issues I prefer not to push the boundaries too much.
I think the Via de la Plata will be a good option for me.
For nostalgic reasons I might walk the Frances one more time too...
Three other options that haven't been mentioned.
OPTION A:
- start Camino de Madrid and then cross to Levante (1 or max. 2 days stages between them),
- once you finish Levante in Zamora there is one option to continue on VdlP to Astorga (see option C) OR:
1.) from Zamora turn left on VdlP Portugues via Verin (connects to Sanabres),
2.) in Granja de Moreruela turn left on Sanabres,
2a.) sub-option if you turn on Sanabres: In A Gudina you can again go via Verin, connect with option 1.) in Ourense.

OPTION B:
- Camino de Madrid (to Sahagun),
- Camino Frances (to Ponferrada),
- Camino de Invierno (to A Laxe),
- Camino Sanabres.

OPTION C:
- start Camino de Madrid,
- cross to Sureste (almost the same as connection with Levante),
- walk to Benavente and continue on original VdlP to Astorga,
- from there again two options:
1.) continue on Frances or
2.) veer left on Invierno in Ponferrada.

Sooo many options in that part of Spain. Hope it will be a sweet decision for you ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gosh @KinkyOne You are getting positively German! :p But good suggestions :) Buen Camino, SY
Well, more than just a few decades after most of Slovenians living in Austro-Hungarian Monarchy must have had some influence don't you think? ;)
But wait till I visit you in Santiago. Then Slavic/Balkanic influences might come out :p

Three other options that haven't been mentioned.
OPTION A:
- start Camino de Madrid and then cross to Levante (1 or max. 2 days stages between them),
- once you finish Levante in Zamora there is one option to continue on VdlP to Astorga (see option C) OR:
1.) from Zamora turn left on VdlP Portugues via Verin (connects to Sanabres),
2.) in Granja de Moreruela turn left on Sanabres,
2a.) sub-option if you turn on Sanabres: In A Gudina you can again go via Verin, connect with option 1.) in Ourense.

OPTION B:
- Camino de Madrid (to Sahagun),
- Camino Frances (to Ponferrada),
- Camino de Invierno (to A Laxe),
- Camino Sanabres.

OPTION C:
- start Camino de Madrid,
- cross to Sureste (almost the same as connection with Levante),
- walk to Benavente and continue on original VdlP to Astorga,
- from there again two options:
1.) continue on Frances or
2.) veer left on Invierno in Ponferrada.

Sooo many options in that part of Spain. Hope it will be a sweet decision for you ;)
I see the need for further research! Such amazing options. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back