• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

City Navigation

pilgrimglenn7

Time of past OR future Camino
st james way and portugese
Hey all

How hard is it to navigate in the cities of Pamplona, Bugos, Leon and Santiago de Compostela please and thank you.

What is name of the town's just before and after these cities please and thank you

Also what towns have the best historical places to visit please and thank you

Thanks all

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hope this is okay to post. I know you've mentioned previously that you're not going to be going for a year or so, but I'd recommend visiting this site and getting the full guide as a bit of a start to help you plan. It's very cheap to get the full guide and it has maps, lists towns in order, and has interesting historical information, too. You can also keep the link and download the updated version just before you leave for your camino in case the albergue information has changed.

Pamplona, Burgos and Compostela are quite straightforward; you just follow the yellow arrows.
Leon is a signposting mess, but you can ask for the cathedral (when coming) or the basilica of San Isidoro (when leaving).
As for your second question, go to google maps or open street maps; for the third, consult any of the guides available online. Do your planning homework...:)
Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pamplona, Burgos and Compostela are quite straightforward; you just follow the yellow arrows.
Leon is a signposting mess, but you can ask for the cathedral (when coming) or the basilica of San Isidoro (when leaving).
As for your second question, go to google maps or open street maps; for the third, consult any of the guides available online. Do your planning homework...:)
Buen camino!
Thanks mate and yes i am checking Google maps now 😀 what are the roads like for driving a car on? As i have my wife in a car but i be on a bicycle. She can't ride or walk.
Thanks again Buen Camino

I hope this is okay to post. I know you've mentioned previously that you're not going to be going for a year or so, but I'd recommend visiting this site and getting the full guide as a bit of a start to help you plan. It's very cheap to get the full guide and it has maps, lists towns in order, and has interesting historical information, too. You can also keep the link and download the updated version just before you leave for your camino in case the albergue information has changed.
Buen Camino and many thanks for your help and site.
Have you been on the way of st James?
Thanks mate

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks mate and yes i am checking Google maps now 😀 what are the roads like for driving a car on? As i have my wife in a car but i be on a bicycle. She can't ride or walk.
Thanks again Buen Camino
Paved roads in Spain are first class. Some of them are highways (the "autopista Camino de Santiago"), some local roads. Generally speaking, they go parallel to the Camino, with the exception of the route Napolleon between Saint Jean PP and Roncesvalles -but there is also the Valcarlos option.
Bus is also possible, but requires planning in some quite isolated, rural stages.
There are many threads about doing the Camino on bycicle, especially related to the interaction with walkers. I suggest you consult them -use the "search" function.

No worries! I went pretty much exactly five years ago. I found that guide the most useful for me, and threw it out page by page as I went to lessen the weight!
I did the same. But now I just use an app they are even lighter!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey all

How hard is it to navigate in the cities of Pamplona, Bugos, Leon and Santiago de Compostela please and thank you.

What is name of the town's just before and after these cities please and thank you

Thanks all

Buen Camino
I just followed three pretty college girls out of Pamplona.

Hey all

Thanks all

Buen Camino
As I'm sure you'll have realised by now, most of the people here are walking the Camino and there's no way you can exactly match the walkers route to a road vehicle route: walkers can go the wrong way up a one-way road; they can go up and down flights of stairs (Sarria/Villafranca); they can go through parkland and countryside (er - just about everywhere!).
All cities are a pain to navigate through - Tarragona (not on the Camino - obs!) has a mass of one-way streets, one street goes one way, the next, parallel, one goes the other. Add to this the signs are in a different language; the highway authority assumes you already know where you want to go - try driving through/around London or Paris and looking for signs; it will be hot, noisy and you're driving a LHD vehicle (unless you're overlanding it from OZ?)
Are you taking a vehicle sat-nav system with you (TomTom/Garmin)? If so make sure you get the latest version of their Spanish map. We can give you a point of entry and point of exit for the four cities - plug those in to the unit and let it work out a road route for your wife to follow.
Sometimes it's simple: take Burgos - you enter in the east and go on and on and on and on and just when you were about to give up hope you exit on the west.
As for places to visit, Spain has several hundred years of history to trawl through - what are you interested in? Castles? Cathedrals? Churches? Art galleries? Museums? Vineyards? Yep, got all those.
All major Spanish cities have tourist information websites. Visit them (best on Google Chrome - it auto-translates) to see what's on offer.
Hope this helps rather than hinders!

A friend and I witnessed an early Sunday morning walk of shame out of the centre of Burgos into the suburbs: she in high heels, mini-shorts and a cardigan wrapped tightly like body-armour, he in a brilliant white tracksuit and trainers. He was all cajoling, she tried, and at one stage succeeded, to push him out into the roadway.
We followed them for 45 minutes - it was the best exit from Burgos I've had!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It was always fun leaving town very early in the morning, just as the bars were closing. Especially the walk of shame.

Paved roads in Spain are first class. Some of them are highways (the "autopista Camino de Santiago"), some local roads. Generally speaking, they go parallel to the Camino, with the exception of the route Napolleon between Saint Jean PP and Roncesvalles -but there is also the Valcarlos option.
Bus is also possible, but requires planning in some quite isolated, rural stages.
There are many threads about doing the Camino on bycicle, especially related to the interaction with walkers. I suggest you consult them -use the "search" function.
thanks Felipe and yes i have done this but i thought i ask about these cities now :) thanks for your help :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
thats good :) glad you got out of pamlona ok :) did you get their phone numbers or facebook or instagram details :) and photos :) kidding mate but glad all went well :)

As I'm sure you'll have realised by now, most of the people here are walking the Camino and there's no way you can exactly match the walkers route to a road vehicle route: walkers can go the wrong way up a one-way road; they can go up and down flights of stairs (Sarria/Villafranca); they can go through parkland and countryside (er - just about everywhere!).
All cities are a pain to navigate through - Tarragona (not on the Camino - obs!) has a mass of one-way streets, one street goes one way, the next, parallel, one goes the other. Add to this the signs are in a different language; the highway authority assumes you already know where you want to go - try driving through/around London or Paris and looking for signs; it will be hot, noisy and you're driving a LHD vehicle (unless you're overlanding it from OZ?)
Are you taking a vehicle sat-nav system with you (TomTom/Garmin)? If so make sure you get the latest version of their Spanish map. We can give you a point of entry and point of exit for the four cities - plug those in to the unit and let it work out a road route for your wife to follow.
Sometimes it's simple: take Burgos - you enter in the east and go on and on and on and on and just when you were about to give up hope you exit on the west.
As for places to visit, Spain has several hundred years of history to trawl through - what are you interested in? Castles? Cathedrals? Churches? Art galleries? Museums? Vineyards? Yep, got all those.
All major Spanish cities have tourist information websites. Visit them (best on Google Chrome - it auto-translates) to see what's on offer.
Hope this helps rather than hinders!
Jeff mate you have never made a hindering statement to me yet :) i really appreciate the advice :)

Yes the vehicle we picking up is an automatic transmission and has a GPS Sat Nav built into the car :) my wife is used to driving on right side of the road so she should be fine since shes been in Australia 6/1/2 years she has never driven :)

I love castles, cathedrals, churches, some museums, some art galleries and vineyards are great :) used to work in one picking grapes :)

Yes i been looking at the websites for these cities and you tube and my wife goes oh do i have to drive there !! :) well yes dear especially burgos and leon :) she can miss pamlona she said :)

Cheers mate

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks i was thinking of using a GPS also via a phone and now u mentioned it use the app :) which app do you recommend for an android?
I would recommend the Wise Pilgrim or the Buen Camino app. I believe they both have downloadable GPS that is really easy to follow. I always buy a Spanish SIM card from Orange for 20 Euros for 30 days. I like their plan because it gives me 80 minutes of calls in Spain only (Don't call anywhere else). I hardly use the calling feature. Only if I know it may be crowded one day to make a reservation in an albergue. More importantly you get 10 Gigs of internet. So I can use it to check the maps if I get lost and to call my wife and kids on Wattsapp if I have bad wifi. I have used it the last 2 Caminos and never even came close to running out of internet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would recommend the Wise Pilgrim or the Buen Camino app. I believe they both have downloadable GPS that is really easy to follow. I always buy a Spanish SIM card from Orange for 20 Euros for 30 days. I like their plan because it gives me 80 minutes of calls in Spain only (Don't call anywhere else). I hardly use the calling feature. Only if I know it may be crowded one day to make a reservation in an albergue. More importantly you get 10 Gigs of internet. So I can use it to check the maps if I get lost and to call my wife and kids on Wattsapp if I have bad wifi. I have used it the last 2 Caminos and never even came close to running out of internet.
Thanks so much mate. Can you private message me this please thank you Buen Camino

I use the AlpineQuest. It has a hiking map and a topographical rastered layer superimposed onto googlemaps with a GPS locater. All caminos are referenced on it down to 1/2500.
I couldn't get lost for very long if I tried

I use the AlpineQuest. It has a hiking map and a topographical rastered layer superimposed onto googlemaps with a GPS locater. All caminos are referenced on it down to 1/2500.
I couldn't get lost for very long if I tried
Thanks mate so much. Very much appreciated Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back