• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino cizur menor

melamee

hola from the lovely mirabel albergue in cizur menor! the camino has been just amazing thusfar. sjpdp to roncevalles was arduous, gorgeous, painful and magical... like nothing i've ever seen or done in my life. unfortunately, on the descent to roncevalles, i did something to my knee and the next day's trip to zubiri just aggrevated it to the point where i could barely walk. took me 9 whole hours to get there....god was i happy to finally stop hobbling downhill 'round rocks galore and cross the bridge into town. spent an extra day in zubiri and caught a lift to pamplona where i rested a further two... even with the limited mobility and pain, i had incredible experience after incredible experience. this strange road i'm on is filled with magic.

i walked the very short 4km here from pamplona yesterday, and i thought i was doing better, but i was in pain all night and now i can barely walk again....so it looks like i won't be attempting the walk up to alto perdon and down to puenta la reina. am going to catch the transport there instead. :(

i've never had this kind of knee problem, and i don't know what to do at this point. i don't want to stop altogether, but then again, i don't want to end up with a knee surgery as a result of overdoing it.... any advice? i've got two weeks left till i have to be in madrid to meet my gf. what's a limping pilgrim to do?

btw...great advice on the leki poles minky. they literally got me down to zubiri.

also...i *highly* recommend this refugio. peaceful, beautiful and such a kind señora running the place. i got to watch her feed catfood to her turtles and goldfish yesterday after she took care of weary pilgrims' feet.

mel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your knee problems may be due to a number of things, although the first few days are REALLY tough on your legs. I found that the downhills in particular took their toll on my pins.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Buen Camino

Hi Mel, sorry to hear about your knee. Get yourself to a Farmacia and buy a knee brace. Perhaps also some Iboprofen for the inflamation and a topical gel. Be guided by the pharmacist who will have seen this sort of injury before!

Trudy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
still cizur menor

thanks for the advice and good wishes minky and trudy.

so i went to the hospital yesterday (surreal experience...) and was told that i have a knee sprain (collateral lateral ligament) and should completely stay off my feet for at least two days and then go really slowly if i am able to walk without pain after that. after the hospital i hopped around on crutches doing my food shopping, washing,etc. and i paid for it later with a bout of tear-inducing pain in the middle of the night. luckily, the señora who runs the place is allowing me to stay till monday. hope i can be on the road again soon....

mel

Have a good week end melamee; rest and enjoy the moment; read a Paul Auster book if you can. :lol:

Monday will surely see you on the road well rested. I am sending you positive waves on your knee... :wink:

hmm..so what now?

thanks ulysse! sadly, it doesn't look like i'll be walking normally (much less camino'ing) for a few weeks. i've been told that i could seriously damage my knee if i don't mostly stay off it.
this leads me to the following question:
what should i do now? i have nothing to do until the 13th... i'm planning on taking the bus back to pamplona tomorrow, and then i have to decide... do i take the bus forward to the routes along the camino (puenta la reina, estella, burgos, etc) and stay at the albergues even though i'm not really walking anymore? or do i go somewhere else where i can rest my leg but not go crazy from loneliness and boredom? i'm really open at this point, and i also know i'm coming back to the camino again next year or the year after. has anyone else here ever left the camino because of injury and done something else? has anyone followed the route by bus? suggestions? advice?

gracias
mel :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two US friends had similar experiences. The one who had to stop in Astorga decided to take a room for a week and enjoy the city square, meeting other peregrinos and chilling out. She took some physiotherapy locally and spoke very highly of the care, as well as of the assistance from locals.

Another, whose complaint sounds like yours, stopped in Burgos and, after some reflection, went to a village near the sea where she stayed with a retired teacher, who coached her in Spanish in the morning. As her Castellano improved, she came to enjoy herself and appreciate meeting people locally, inserting herself into the two local choirs for the rest of her stay.

I met a German doctor pilgrim whose knee gave out, and he simply went home, as did another US pilgrim who found the xperience of the Camino too emotionallyintense for her.

If you have to hang around for a week, Burgos might be interesting, as it has a number of remarkable sights and you will not be bored. English-language books and papers are available there. Ditto for Leon (I have a suggestion for a place to stay there-- PM me for details).

Hi Mel, didn't mention this in my earlier post as I was hoping you'd get better, but exactly the same thing happened to me in 2005. I slipped and twisted my knee on the descent into Zubiri, managed to walk to Pamplona over the next two days, bussed around the Alto de Perdon, but had to give up at Estella.

So after a couple of days rest in Estella I took a leisurely trip across to Santiago by getting the bus back to Pamplona where I stayed overnight; then took the train to Burgos and stayed 3 nights; then train to Leon for 3 nights; and on to Santiago for a couple of nights. I didn't know if I'd get back to Spain, so made the most of the time I had.

I stayed in hotels, but the private albergues should allow you to stay more than one night.

Good luck, Trudy

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think Trudy is quite right; make the most of your stay.

Burgos and Leon are sure worth a few days of sightseeing. You can play tourist to your heart content. A couple a days in Santiago is a must and if you can spend a day or two enjoying Fisterra this would have been a good stay in Northern Spain.

Do not feel bad, this accident happens to a lot of people. Maybe next time you will pick up where you stopped. Get well soon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back