• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clacking Poles

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
@Tigger has ordered Pacer poles and I am quite looking forward to trying them out and comparing them to my current Black Diamonds.

My major gripe with poles is that, despite thick rubber stoppers of various types, including "paws", mine always seem to clack. And I've had numerous types over the years. I think it occurs at the joints. The only way I can imagine they would not make a noise would be if they were one solid piece, instead of the folding/telescopic type. I've not heard other people complain so it must be something to do with how I use them.

Any suggestions?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think they all clack, just worse without the rubber tips. I was hiking over the weekend and when I left the trail and hit the road the clacking started. I think that on the Camino I just zoned it out after a day or two like you would with a ticking clock.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've not heard other people complain so it must be something to do with how I use them.
It's not you, @Kanga.
I thought I was the only one who had this situation--thinking it was because I bought mine at a fraction of the original price from REI.
Mine are telescoping and they still clack in spite of rubber feet. A friend has Black Diamonds and they make noise too, but not as much noise as mine (hers have a shock-cord folding system).

We can tune it out but I feel for the people who live in villages along the way--the noise must be quite something from May to September!

If you don't need to fold or collapse the poles regularly a wrap or two of duct tape around the joints does a lot to silence them . I did this when I noticed that I was scaring roos and wallabies with the little clicks that came from mine .

I am another person fully committed to poles, but allergic to the noise. I was very charmed by a young man in an albergue a few weeks ago who announced, a little sheepishly, to the few of us in the dormitory, that he was a snorer, and then offered us each a pair of ear plugs. (I bought a 'variety sampler pack' of multiple pairs once on eBay for about €5. They have lasted me for years).
I am tempted to buy a few extra sets of rubber tips which are only £2.99 a pair. But I wonder would it be misunderstood and unappreciated if I offered them to clacky people:(? These ones are not ultrahigh quality.....they wear down in maybe 300km.
I appreciate @Kanga that this is completely unhelpful to your original question.
I had shock absorber poles one time and they were pretty clacky, which I didn't like.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Tigger has ordered Pacer poles and I am quite looking forward to trying them out and comparing them to my current Black Diamonds.

My major gripe with poles is that, despite thick rubber stoppers of various types, including "paws", mine always seem to clack. And I've had numerous types over the years. I think it occurs at the joints. The only way I can imagine they would not make a noise would be if they were one solid piece, instead of the folding/telescopic type. I've not heard other people complain so it must be something to do with how I use them.

Any suggestions?
Mine are Black Diamond but they're a few years old. They're 3 piece carbon and telescope out, clamp tight with flip locks (require pretty strong hands) at the end of each section to chosen, marked lengths. They're adjustable, marks guarantee identical length. Easily shortened to pack length, stay in one piece, don't fold and flop around. Nice to optionally adjust length - shorter for long climbs, longer for descents. I've added big knobbly rubber tips. No telescoping shock absorber action, but rubber tips have a bit of spring to soften wrist shock. No noise at all because poles are rigid, no flex - I think maybe some poles' noise might be caused by twisting, and/or metal springs inside might hit inside surfaces of tubes (edit: hard "rubber" cords, not metal springs). Try shaking yours sharply without hitting tips on a hard surface to hear if they rattle - this rattle might be same as clacking sound. My wrist straps also absorb some kickback. I went through only one pair of tips on my CF - took a spare set, didn't use them. Love my poles - completely silent, nice and chunky, have used them a few times to keep dogs away from my probably delicious vegetarian calves.

I haven't tried Pacers but they look as though they might require wrist stiffening effort and therefore cause tiredness. My wrist straps mean almost zero handle-grasping effort. I put a lot of weight on my poles to save my feet.

https://www.pacemakerstix.com/products/asphalt-paws

P.S. Rubber tips saved me from having to check my poles when I demonstrated how non-threatening they were at an airport check-in desk.

P.P.S. The shafts of my poles are oval in cross-section so they slide easily to adjust but can't twist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Black Diamond carbon Z-poles with $5 rubber tips and there's no noise whatsoever. They're the type with the stretchy, rubbery shock cord inside that keeps the unit taut. ($159 at REI). Have you given them a try? At 10 ounces for a pair, they're fantastic!

My only gripe is that Black Diamond won't repair the shock cord, if it breaks. After four years of heavy use, mine are fraying slightly. Without the cord to pull the carbon sections taut, they'd fall apart.

https://www.rei.com/product/877683/black-diamond-distance-carbon-z-pole-trekking-poles-pair

Classic "twist to tighten" adjustable hiking sticks rarely make any noise. Add rubber tips, and they are almost Ninja-like quiet.

Most all "shock absorbing" poles will make mechanical noises. This comes from the added springs and "shock absorbing" mechanism inside the poles. Rubber tips will; however, silence the "click clack" of the tungsten steel tips on paved surfaces.

I usually caution against these poles as they tend to be heavier, have more parts that could fail, and cannot be fixed in the field as easily as the classic, "twist to tighten" poles. I have repaired several Leki-type mechanisms with a little duck tape inside around the nylon ferrules.

A general "rule of thumb" is that the more whiz-bang" and complicated a hiking pole system is, the more likely it is to have "issues."

This said, I particularly like the simple, shock/cord connected Black Diamond poles. They are among the lightest I have ever tried. They are they made of carbon fiber. So they are NOT cheap. But, collapsed, they easily stow in my rucksack. If they fail to stay connected, duck tape will easily sort that problem.

In addition, the metal tips are easily replaced by rubber/only tips for air transport. The spiky tips can easily be reattached on arrival. This may be a potential solution for all those folks who who like to take their poles into the airplane cabin. The tips are available, online from Black Diamond.

I hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Any suggestions?
I did a very QAD test on seven different trekking poles and a walking stick that I have in my collection. All of them had rubber tips. They were:

1. BD FLZ Distance pole with the internal connection cord and flick lock height adjustment.
  2. BD Trail Shock three section pole with flick locks. It has a compressible elastomer ring that joins the grip to the top pole section to provide the anti-shock action.
  3. Komperdell carbon pole, not sprung, with flick locks.
  4. Komperdell anti-shock alloy pole with twist locks. The anti-shock mechanism is a metal coil spring at the top of the middle section of the pole.
  5. Fizan Altaquota anti-shock alloy pole with twist locks, with a metal spring at the top of the middle section of the pole.
  6. Altus Rift anti-shock alloy pole with twist locks and a metal spring at the top of the middle section of the pole.
  7. Ash plant walking staff (133 cm) with and without a rubber tip.
  8. Two part wooden walking stick (90 cm) with a fixed rubber tip
They all make some noise when the tip is planted on a hard surface. It seems to me that most of this noise comes from the shaft of the pole or stick vibrating when the tip strikes the ground.
  1. Other than any effect that the flick locks and twist locks might have had on the vibration characteristics of the pole shafts, I didn't detect any obvious noise coming from them.
  2. There was no particularly obvious difference between otherwise similar poles with twist and flick lock mechanisms.
  3. For the technical poles where the anti-shock mechanism is a metal spring on the middle pole section, there appears to be some noise associated with the action of the spring mechanism and the movement of the middle shaft in the top shaft as the spring compresses.
  4. Both wooden poles made some noise, with the noise from the ash plant staff much louder when the rubber was removed. I didn't think there was much difference between the wooden and metal poles, other than the wooden staff without a rubber tip was louder under all circumstances than anything else.
  5. The amount of noise varies with the force of the pole tip strike. Fairy taps generate least noise!
My conclusion is that if the noise is largely associated with the vibration of the pole shaft when the tip strikes the ground, there isn't going to be much you are going to be able to do about reducing it for any particular level of pole pressure that you use.

Last edited:
Leki Micro poles with no mechanical parts in the joints + Leki standard rubber tips pushed in well are both silent and very light. Not adjustable though so important to get the right length. Also very short package when folded so easy to slip into pack for visits to churches, cafés etc..

kanga,

I'm a great fan of Pace Poles,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
oops that should contain the following.

I have found that the tips sold by Pacer are far superior to any other tips available.

oops that should contain the following.

I have found that the tips sold by Pacer are far superior to any other tips available.
What other tips have you tried? I would also be interested in how many km you estimate the Pacer pole tips have lasted you, and how many km the other pole tips you have tried did before needing to be replaced.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've been using Black Diamond carbon Z-poles with $5 rubber tips and there's no noise whatsoever. They're the type with the stretchy, rubbery shock cord inside that keeps the unit taut. ($159 at REI). Have you given them a try? At 10 ounces for a pair, they're fantastic!

My only gripe is that Black Diamond won't repair the shock cord, if it breaks. After four years of heavy use, mine are fraying slightly. Without the cord to pull the carbon sections taut, they'd fall apart.

https://www.rei.com/product/877683/black-diamond-distance-carbon-z-pole-trekking-poles-pair
I tried to get the Black Diamond importer here in Australia to replace my wrist straps which frayed badly with lots of use. They wouldn't do a repair but kindly sent some free replacements from the other end of the country which I had to fit myself. I've noticed that they list some parts on their European website (I didn't order because it wasn't clear which straps to specify - there are comments/complaints on their own website about parts specs and ordering!). Seems like company policy to not offer repairs and try to sell you more poles. If your poles become unusable it might be worth a shot trying to fix if you can manage to get replacement shock cords - they might be a standard size.

kanga,

I'm a great fan of Pace Poles,
If anyone is interested in 'co-incidence' stories, one has happened to me in the purchase of my PacerPoles. I live in Sydney Australia, and after recommendations on this forum and digesting the contents of the PacerPole website including demonstration videos, I made my decision to purchase.
I noticed that they were from the UK, placed my order and then received detailed and welcome advice, instruction and 'after sales' service from Heather, the designer and manufacturer EVEN before I had received them. We politely emailed back and forth, until I suddenly realised that her company is situated in Windemere in the Lakes District of England.
After my walk in Spain, I am going to meet up with Mr Tigger and both stay with daughter and family just outside London AND go on a tour of Great Britain. When I looked up my itinerary, it seems that our tour group is staying TWO nights in Windemere, so Heather and I have decided to try to meet up and discuss the Camino and PacerPoles.

So from my home in Sydney, through an internet purchase, I am going to meet the designer of PacerPoles, and make a local acquaintance on my tour.

Neat, eh?

If anyone is interested in 'co-incidence' stories, one has happened to me in the purchase of my PacerPoles. I live in Sydney Australia, and after recommendations on this forum and digesting the contents of the PacerPole website including demonstration videos, I made my decision to purchase.
I noticed that they were from the UK, placed my order and then received detailed and welcome advice, instruction and 'after sales' service from Heather, the designer and manufacturer EVEN before I had received them. We politely emailed back and forth, until I suddenly realised that her company is situated in Windemere in the Lakes District of England.
After my walk in Spain, I am going to meet up with Mr Tigger and both stay with daughter and family just outside London AND go on a tour of Great Britain. When I looked up my itinerary, it seems that our tour group is staying TWO nights in Windemere, so Heather and I have decided to try to meet up and discuss the Camino and PacerPoles.

So from my home in Sydney, through an internet purchase, I am going to meet the designer of PacerPoles, and make a local acquaintance on my tour.

Neat, eh?
Very cool, and I hope that you love your Pacerpoles as much as I do!

Any suggestions?
I've had a look at the Pacerpole website and watched the videos. Impressive. No moving parts or springy bits so they must be quiet. I abhor any noise when out in the P&Q, will continue to use rubber tips all the time, I find hard sharp tips make noise on firm, packed pathways and of course a HELLISH sound on pavement. I'll try Pacers. I'm curious about how much power those handles can transmit and whether gripping can cause tiredness. The woman in the videos looks like she's not pushing on them very hard.

Also, when one is on a very tricky descent and it's necessary to suddenly alter the grip on the pole to maybe hold it at a different, weird angle - is the handle ever limiting?

Please let us know how you go after trying the Pacerpoles.

I will await Tiggers Pacer Poles and see if they make a difference. As to the types of rubber ferrules - the ones I am currently using have lasted many km, certainly many more that the official BD ones that they replaced.

31q77dL5KzL.jpg

I will await Tiggers Pacer Poles and see if they make a difference. As to the types of rubber ferrules - the ones I am currently using have lasted many km, certainly many more that the official BD ones that they replaced.
I would intuitively expect a walking foot such as you have shown would last longer than any of the conical style tips that I normally see supplied with poles. There is a much larger contact surface and most that I have seen also have a lug design and tread depth that would increase their useful life. I haven't ever tried to measure the distance that I get on these, although I still using the ones that I took on the CF earlier this year, and they weren't new when I started.

I have not used them, but I bought some BD Trekking Pole Tip Protectors. BD say they had a life span of 500 miles. I wrapped some duct tape around my BD Distance Carbon Z Trekking Poles because the diameter of the pole was smaller than the diameter of the tip protector. I am not sure how long they will stay on with the duct tape, and would not like to loose them on the trail. I thought about putting them on with 5200 marine caulk, but I would then have to cut them off to replace them. They do not make a like tip protector for the Carbon Z.
112069_tipprotector_web.jpg

Mine are Black Diamond but they're a few years old. They're 3 piece carbon and telescope out, clamp tight with flip locks (require pretty strong hands) at the end of each section to chosen, marked lengths. They're adjustable, marks guarantee identical length. Easily shortened to pack length, stay in one piece, don't fold and flop around. Nice to optionally adjust length - shorter for long climbs, longer for descents. I've added big knobbly rubber tips.........etc
I love posts like the above!
And this...
A general "rule of thumb" is that the more whiz-bang" and complicated a hiking pole system is, the more likely it is to have "issues."
And this
I did a very QAD test on seven different trekking poles and a walking stick that I have in my collection. All of them had rubber tips. They were: etc

I don't think I should ;), but I do:).
I think the geeky, nerdy side(?) of the forum is just as priceless as the more philosophical side!!
Since I changed to carbon fibre, Karrimor, £30 a pair, weighing under 200g, I have been silent.!

I've had a look at the Pacerpole website and watched the videos. Impressive. No moving parts or springy bits so they must be quiet. I abhor any noise when out in the P&Q, will continue to use rubber tips all the time, I find hard sharp tips make noise on firm, packed pathways and of course a HELLISH sound on pavement. I'll try Pacers. I'm curious about how much power those handles can transmit and whether gripping can cause tiredness. The woman in the videos looks like she's not pushing on them very hard.

Also, when one is on a very tricky descent and it's necessary to suddenly alter the grip on the pole to maybe hold it at a different, weird angle - is the handle ever limiting?

Please let us know how you go after trying the Pacerpoles.
Hi Mike
I bought a pair of Pacerpoles over a year ago as part of my rehab from a foot fracture. Prior to this I have used Leki walking poles for 16 years in all types of terrain and conditions around the world. From the start the Pacers just felt so comfortable and any reservations that I had about the handles disappeared with use. I didn't experience any problems with grip, if anything they provide a great support for when you are tired. Even in the Australian heat my wet sweaty hands don't shift from those handles.

One of my training routes is in a very steep gorge on scree where the gradient is such that you reach out and touch the track in front of you and going down is a test of nerve and vertigo. The first few times it did take some adaption in technique as I am used to putting my palm on the Leki's handles to balance downhill while the Pacers maintain your hands in a set position and keep you well aligned. There is also a river crossing mid route over loose rocks and I find that the Pacers are better for me here as I don't tend to lean forward when rock hopping which has led to the odd dip or two in the past.

Overall I am really happy with the Pacerpoles and will continue to use them on my hikes. I have fitted them with Pacemaker Stix rubber feet which hubby siliconed on to the poles. They are fabulous - don't get stuck in small gaps or shift on wet loose rocks and are wearing very well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mike
I bought a pair of Pacerpoles over a year ago as part of my rehab from a foot fracture. Prior to this I have used Leki walking poles for 16 years in all types of terrain and conditions around the world. From the start the Pacers just felt so comfortable and any reservations that I had about the handles disappeared with use. I didn't experience any problems with grip, if anything they provide a great support for when you are tired. Even in the Australian heat my wet sweaty hands don't shift from those handles.

One of my training routes is in a very steep gorge on scree where the gradient is such that you reach out and touch the track in front of you and going down is a test of nerve and vertigo. The first few times it did take some adaption in technique as I am used to putting my palm on the Leki's handles to balance downhill while the Pacers maintain your hands in a set position and keep you well aligned. There is also a river crossing mid route over loose rocks and I find that the Pacers are better for me here as I don't tend to lean forward when rock hopping which has led to the odd dip or two in the past.

Overall I am really happy with the Pacerpoles and will continue to use them on my hikes. I have fitted them with Pacemaker Stix rubber feet which hubby siliconed on to the poles. They are fabulous - don't get stuck in small gaps or shift on wet loose rocks and are wearing very well.
Hi WM,

I used Pacemaker Stix knobbly knobs on my poles on my full CF this year. One new pair were cactus by SDC but they took very good care of me. I've raved about them a few times on the forum but you're the first person who reports using them. I no longer feel like a demented nerd.

Thanks for posting, I'll give the Pacerpoles a try soon.

I am not sure how long they will stay on with the duct tape, and would not like to loose them on the trail. I thought about putting them on with 5200 marine caulk, but I would then have to cut them off to replace them. They do not make a like tip protector for the Carbon Z.
Sounds like a case of morphic resonance. I have used a similar approach on the BD FLZ poles (see -->> https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/need-help-with-hiking-poles.37336/#post-359974). These were bought for my wife to use this year, and both of us have used the poles with that modification in a variety of circumstances. I always remove the rubber tip when not walking on pavement or similar hard surface. So far, we have not had any problem with the tips coming off, but they don't get left on in places like deep mud or where there are rocky or other crevices that might catch the tip.

As an aside, I met an Australian in Acebo this year who had found a Komperdell walking foot which had been made to fit the smaller shaft diameter of the BD FLZ etc. I know that Komperdell used this smaller shaft diameter for some time, and it is only relatively recently that they started to use the 11 mm shaft diameter for their tips. She told me she had found these in a store in Pamplona at the start of her camino.

The first few times it did take some adaption in technique as I am used to putting my palm on the Leki's handles to balance downhill while the Pacers maintain your hands in a set position and keep you well aligned.
I know that there are some videos etc that demonstrate this technique for going downhill, but I have never considered it a reasonable substitute for taking the few seconds necessary to adjust the pole length at the start and end of steeper descents so that the strap can continue to be used to take the pressure. I think this is even more important going downhill than uphill, when you want as much stability as possible in case of a slip. It rather demonstrates the point that I continue to make here that Pacer poles have the advantage of being difficult to use poorly, unlike conventional poles where users can adopt a variety of techniques that are not always the best approach for the circumstances.

I no longer feel like a demented nerd.
You shouldn't feel alone. My wife imported four of the Pacemaker Stix tips a couple of years ago so I could see how they performed. The ones that we had were not a particularly snug fit, and they would regularly come off the pole at the slightest provocation. One is now somewhere in one of the local national parks, and another disappeared into the shrubbery on a walk around the suburb in which I live and has not been seen since. I think the plus side of these tips is that they don't get caught in the gaps on timber bridges and those mesh panels laid to protect bush tracks where they cross sensitive areas when I was walking in the local national park. They did seem to have a reasonable wear life, but with that much rubber to wear, one might have expected that to be the case.

I think at the exchange rate at the time, they cost us about AUD 10 each at the time, and for me they certainly were not a value for money proposition at that price.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What other tips have you tried? I would also be interested in how many km you estimate the Pacer pole tips have lasted you, and how many km the other pole tips you have tried did before needing to be replaced.
It is difficult to put an exact measure on the life of a tip, there are so many things to take into account. On soft ground the milage is greater than on black stuff, and the weight put on the tip must differ person to person. But on the La Plata a set lasted 700k then I found I had lost my spares, so purchased some (not pacer) from a sports store and the lasted only a very short distance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is difficult to put an exact measure on the life of a tip, there are so many things to take into account. On soft ground the milage is greater than on black stuff, and the weight put on the tip must differ person to person.
I get that, but any individual will have similar use patterns, etc that would allow one to make a reasonable comparison. After all, you made this statement earlier:

It indicated to me that you might have done a more thorough comparison than one between the Pacer tip and a single no-name(?) variety that you had obtained somewhere in the middle of Spain. Of course, your claim might be true in this very narrow context, but I don't think it really represents the circumstances most of us face when replacing our rubber pole tips.

I don't have the benefit of having used the Pacer tips, but I have, over the years used Black Diamond, Leki, Komperdell, Macpac, Altus, Swix, Pacemaker Stix and Fizan tip protectors, as well as some no-name tips. Not all these are available in Australia, but of those that are, I think the value for money proposition for regular tip protectors is the Black Diamond.

I have also used Leki, Komperdell and Swix walking feet. My recollection is that only the Leki walking foot is still distributed in Australia. But it is my view that is worth the effort importing the Swix walking foot, even if I have to order a few pairs at a time from Amazon in the US.

As for the Pacer tips, you would need to demonstrate that they were going to last at least 50% longer than the Black Diamond tips for them to be worth considering on the basis of current prices and exchange rates. They might last that much longer or more than no-name tips, but my experience is that there isn't such a large differential between Black Diamond, Komperdell and Leki tips. The value for money comparison generally defaults to price being the major determinant.

Much of the failure of rubber ends is due to the carbide tip of the pole forcing its way into the inner surface . This is especially apparent when the poles are used heavily on steep descents .
A simple trick I use is to place a small washer over the carbide end to help spread the penetrative load over the entire inner surface .
The photographs are self explanatory , the washers are available in any size to suit from hardware shops . One tip [ pun intended ] is to try to get that elusive combination of a washer with a slightly loose inner hole for the carbide end and an outer diameter that will fit very snugly within the rubber , in this way the washer will self centre and remain firmly fixed inside .
IMGP3429.JPG

IMGP3431.JPG

IMGP3434.JPG

IMGP3432.JPG

Much of the failure of rubber ends is due to the carbide tip of the pole forcing its way into the inner surface . This is especially apparent when the poles are used heavily on steep descents .
A simple trick I use is to place a small washer over the carbide end to help spread the penetrative load over the entire inner surface .
The photographs are self explanatory , the washers are available in any size to suit from hardware shops . One tip [ pun intended ] is to try to get that elusive combination of a washer with a slightly loose inner hole for the carbide end and an outer diameter that will fit very snugly within the rubber , in this way the washer will self centre and remain firmly fixed inside .
An excellent suggestion for those who buy pole tips that don't already have a washer. The pole tips I am currently using from Black Diamond and Swix already have a metal washer, and my recollection is that this is also true for Leki and others.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Charles Zammit

I removed my carbide tips and kept them with me on my CF. I haven't ever used them except when new when they got jammed between some boards on a footbridge. I just unscrewed them (Black Diamond poles). That left only a straight piece of the chunky shaft so the rubber feet slid up farther. I was lucky with the fit of my Pacemaker Stix paws, they just jammed on and stayed there. I guess silicone or Locktite are options.

122_5413b959-6d6d-4755-99b6-674f1576a631_large.jpg

Attachments

• 122_5413b959-6d6d-4755-99b6-674f1576a631_large.jpg
    122_5413b959-6d6d-4755-99b6-674f1576a631_large.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 1
My Black Diamond - Distance Carbon Z-Pole Trekking Poles came with a set of Rubber Tech Tips which I never used. I replaced the standard carbide tip with the rubber tech tip, and put the Trekking Pole Tip Protector over the rubber tech tip.
  • I tested the the rubber tech tip, they are hard, and do click and clack. They are quieter than the carbide tips. They have a flat surface to displace the weight, so I do not think they need a washer insert.
  • I tested the rubber tech tip with the pole tip protector and they are quieter. They have better traction than the rubber tech tips.
  • The rubber tech tips will be there as a backup if they wear through the pole tip protector, or the pole tip protector is lost.
  • I would be hesitant to put the pole tip protector onto the shaft of the pole without a tip. I would not want to damage the internal thread on the end of the shaft.
112118_Tech_Tips_Rubber_web.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have Komperdell carbon fibre poles, that have the flip levers for locking the sections to a specific length.
My poles have the carbide tips.

The carbon fibre construction seems to dampen much of the clacking noise where aluminum poles tend to magnify it.

I never realized that clacking poles were such an annoyance to so many people until I started visiting a few forums.

While rubber tips work well on paved surfaces, the carbide tips give a better grip off road.

Because during a days walk you can switch from soft to solid surfaces so many times, it would require switching tips back and forth. Maybe some change pole tips, but I have never seen it done myself in three Camino's.

The whole point of poles is provide a walker more stability, rubber tips I found don't provide this on soft wet or muddy surfaces, so I go with the the carbide at all times. I see people with rubber tips in wet muddy areas and the rubber tips seem to defeat the reason for having poles to some extent.

In populated areas, I just carry my poles until I am out of towns and cities and sensitive ears.

Because during a days walk you can switch from soft to solid surfaces so many times, it would require switching tips back and forth. Maybe some change pole tips, but I have never seen it done myself in three Camino's.
I routinely remove and replace my pole tips as the path changes from soft to hard and back to soft. I just place the pole tips in a side pocket in my trousers where they are in easy reach when I want to replace them. It is not a difficult discipline to master, but I do recall there were some hiccoughs like the pole tip that missed the pocket which I didn't notice. It got added to all the other wayward pole tips that have been lost in the mud, storm drain grates, gaps in wooden footbridges, etc. I was much more careful that the tips got into the pocket after that.

Any suggestions?

Ear plugs:rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Has anyone broken a pole in a grate? I lost 2 covers in them & stopped before they snapped. That was the only time I hag clicking with my black diamonds until I found new rubber tips.

Has anyone broken a pole in a grate? I lost 2 covers in them & stopped before they snapped. That was the only time I hag clicking with my black diamonds until I found new rubber tips.
I bent a tip by jamming a pole between boards on a footbridge, I managed to straighten it. Since then I use large rubber tips which are too big to fit between boards or into small gaps. I use Pacemaker Stix paws all the time, love 'em - see post #41 above. My poles are noiseless - see post #11 above.

I witnessed a nasty accident that happened when a pole snapped . Following a river bank the bush walker slipped when the expensive carbon fibre pole became jammed between rocks [ I won't mention the brand in case the ' Commercial Police' object ] . The poor unfortunate fell forwards directly onto the still upright and extremely sharp end . Fortunately the injury was limited to a nasty laceration to the right flank .
There are drawbacks with Ultra light equipment and in the case of poles there is a real danger of perhaps trading 'light' for flimsy .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bent a tip by jamming a pole between boards on a footbridge, I managed to straighten it. Since then I use large rubber tips which are too big to fit between boards or into small gaps. I use Pacemaker Stix paws all the time, love 'em - see post #41 above. My poles are noiseless - see post #11 above.
Do you have a web site I can find the tips to purchase? I have the same poles by your description above.

I have these and mine don't make noise. Bought extra tips to take with me in May. I have about 300 miles on them in rocks and they have hardly worn at all.

Our Leki poles lasted with one pair of rubber studs until Finisterra

I hope you love Pacer Poles as much as I do. I have used them on two Caminos and now use them at home (even though I live in Florida sans hills.) For those worried about the angles of the handles, don't. They are ergonomically correct and make it natural to use good posture. I have bulging disc in my back and they make all the difference. As for the tips I have long since replaced the original rubber tips, but do think they may have been quieter. The last ones I bought from REI were very hard and did make a little noise. The little bit of clacking I heard on the camino didn't bother me; I just considered it as one of the sounds of the Camino......music to my ears.

To those of you with clacky poles: Please be aware that the noise can be very distracting/annoying to others walking along. I wonder if most people really need them on the flatter sections of the path. The poles are collapsible so that they can be shortened and attached to the pack. I guess I would just ask people to be conscious of the impact the noise may be having on others around you, especially in otherwise quiet settings.

To those of you with clacky poles: Please be aware that the noise can be very distracting/annoying to others walking along. I wonder if most people really need them on the flatter sections of the path. The poles are collapsible so that they can be shortened and attached to the pack. I guess I would just ask people to be conscious of the impact the noise may be having on others around you, especially in otherwise quiet settings.
There are many benefits of pole use - stability, reduction of pressure on the lower joints, etc. Most of these are obtained when using the poles on level surfaces as well as on hills. It is not really that people need to use poles - that is rarely the case anyhow - they want all the benefits of pole use. Suggesting that people put their poles in their pack, and carry them as so much dead weight, seems to me a strange recommendation. I would rather see people get the full benefit from having them, and use them whenever they can, from the moment they start walking in the morning to when they reach their daily destination.

This year, the only time I collapsed my poles was when travelling on public transport at various points, and when I put them into my bag to go to the airport.

I actually use poles myself, but I must admit only when in more uneven natural terrain. I guess my point is more that people be aware, rather than that they put them away (even though I did suggest that:rolleyes:). I just found them intrusive when I was in my own quiet more meditative space. But its like crowds of loud yappy people passing by: an opportunity to practice patience and acceptance!:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have found that the best way to avoid the clacking is to pickup the poles when you are i.e. Sidewalks, paved streets, city walking etc and leave the poles for the country :)

Zzotte

Hi I have Leki adjustable ergonomically poles with the spring. I hike with friends with adjustable and have never heard of this problem. Do you have them adjusted to max on both bottom and top. This could create an instability. Good luck.
Orford Girl

I've been using Black Diamond carbon Z-poles with $5 rubber tips and there's no noise whatsoever.

I have not used them, but I bought some BD Trekking Pole Tip Protectors. BD say they had a life span of 500 miles. I wrapped some duct tape around my BD Distance Carbon Z Trekking Poles because the diameter of the pole was smaller than the diameter of the tip protector.

I am not sure how long they will stay on with the duct tape, and would not like to loose them on the trail. I thought about putting them on with 5200 marine caulk, but I would then have to cut them off to replace them. They do not make a like tip protector for the Carbon Z.

Pacemakerstix.com See "accessories" - extended life rubber feet. 2 pr for $9.95

I've gone through this thread to find all the advice I could about what kind of rubber pole tips to use with the Black Diamond Z poles.

Several people mentioned cheap rubber tips -- does anyone have a specific brand that fits on the BD poles? I tried linkster' idea of putting duct tape around the pole because the BD brand is too big for the BD poles (go figure), but since I pop the rubber tips on and off and on depending on terrain, that didn't last long. The tape wore off very quickly. And the BD "rubber tip" is hard and clunky. But even more frustrating, it's not like you can slip back and forth from rubber to carbide as the terrain changes. I had to take my BD poles back to the store where someone finally figured out hot to remove the "rubber tips" and put in the carbide ones.

My dream would be to find rubber tips that stay on on top of the BD carbide tips and can be easily removed and replaced.

Mike, do you use these tips with BD poles?

rmsmith -- any specifics on the brand of the rubber tip?

I would love to get some tips that won't fall off and have been flummoxed in my searching. Thanks everyone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I tried linkster' idea of putting duct tape around the pole because the BD brand is too big for the BD poles (go figure), but since I pop the rubber tips on and off and on depending on terrain, that didn't last long. The tape wore off very quickly. And the BD "rubber tip" is hard and clunky.

@peregrina2000 your experience confirms a concern I had about the duct tape. I just thought I would replace the duct tape if it wears out. But, you got me thinking that there might be a better solution. I am going to go to the local marine supply store and see if I can locate a small length of hose that can be used to increase the shaft diameter to accommodate the rubber tip protectors. Added to my todo list.

I've gone through this thread to find all the advice I could about what kind of rubber pole tips to use with the Black Diamond Z poles.

Several people mentioned cheap rubber tips -- does anyone have a specific brand that fits on the BD poles? I tried linkster' idea of putting duct tape around the pole because the BD brand is too big for the BD poles (go figure), but since I pop the rubber tips on and off and on depending on terrain, that didn't last long. The tape wore off very quickly. And the BD "rubber tip" is hard and clunky. But even more frustrating, it's not like you can slip back and forth from rubber to carbide as the terrain changes. I had to take my BD poles back to the store where someone finally figured out hot to remove the "rubber tips" and put in the carbide ones.

My dream would be to find rubber tips that stay on on top of the BD carbide tips and can be easily removed and replaced.

Mike, do you use these tips with BD poles?

rmsmith -- any specifics on the brand of the rubber tip?

I would love to get some tips that won't fall off and have been flummoxed in my searching. Thanks everyone.
I do use them on BD poles. Don't know exactly which pole model. Plastic flip locks, 3 sections, oval cross section, no shock absorbers. I removed the carbide tips by unscrewing them and I was very lucky, I guess, that the pacemakerstix knobbly tips fit tightly onto the shaft and have never loosened. I think that if I hadn't removed the carbide tips, there wouldn't have been enough of the pole shaft for the tip to grab onto. I used them all the way from SJPDP to SDC. They weren't completely worn out but I replaced them and have kept the worn set as souvenirs. These tips are soft enough to be very quiet and robust enough to be very grippy. And as I've said, big enough to not get jammed into small gaps. I was pretty lucky to hit on a choice that worked perfectly for me. I chose those tips after watching an endorsement on one of the many videos I watched on YouTube.

Mike

I do use them on BD poles. Don't know exactly which pole model. Plastic flip locks, 3 sections, oval cross section, no shock absorbers. I removed the carbide tips by unscrewing them and I was very lucky, I guess, that the pacemakerstix knobbly tips fit tightly onto the shaft and have never loosened. I think that if I hadn't removed the carbide tips, there wouldn't have been enough of the pole shaft for the tip to grab onto. I used them all the way from SJPDP to SDC. They weren't completely worn out but I replaced them and have kept the worn set as souvenirs. These tips are soft enough to be very quiet and robust enough to be very grippy. And as I've said, big enough to not get jammed into small gaps. I was pretty lucky to hit on a choice that worked perfectly for me. I chose those tips after watching an endorsement on one of the many videos I watched on YouTube.

Mike
Thanks, Mike, I just ordered them!!! 2 pairs for $9.95 and a reasonable shipping rate of $5.00. No gouging on shipping like so many other places. Merry Christmas to me. I'll let you know. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@peregrina2000 your experience confirms a concern I had about the duct tape. I just thought I would replace the duct tape if it wears out. But, you got me thinking that there might be a better solution. I am going to go to the local marine supply store and see if I can locate a small length of hose that can be used to increase the shaft diameter to accommodate the rubber tip protectors. Added to my todo list.

You are far more ingenious than I, linkster. I took the easy option, ordering some tips that might just fit. But please let me know how this hose idea works out. I guess you have to glue the hose to the shaft or something?

@peregrina2000 please post after you try the tips you ordered. My Black Diamond - Distance Carbon Z-Pole Trekking Pole shafts are smaller than my other REI adjustable trekking poles, and all of the rubber tips seem to be made for the larger diameter trekking poles.

Wishful thinking ... the hose will fit snugly onto the shaft of the trekking pole, and the rubber tip will fit snugly over the hose without the use of any adhesive.

@peregrina2000 please post after you try the tips you ordered. My Black Diamond - Distance Carbon Z-Pole Trekking Pole shafts are smaller than my other REI adjustable trekking poles, and all of the rubber tips seem to be made for the larger diameter trekking poles.

Wishful thinking ... the hose will fit snugly onto the shaft of the trekking pole, and the rubber tip will fit snugly over the hose without the use of any adhesive.

Foiled again! The nice tips Mike recommended arrived today, and they are also too big for my BD poles. I am acquiring quite a collection.

So, linkster, how did your hose idea work? Any other great ideas about how to keep a normal sized rubber tip on the end of a BD Z-Pole shaft?

I have to say I think this is a design flaw. The first error BD made was to make the pole with two sets of tips (carbide and rubber) that require a monumental effort to change them. Totally impractical for anyone who wants to change back and forth from rubber to carbide and vice versa. The second error was that even if their idea of a "rubber tip" were easily changed with the carbide tip, the material it's made out of is nothing like anything rubber I've ever seen -- it's very hard and noisy. Third error-- not even "normal" BD rubber tips fit on this pole.

What next?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@peregrina2000 I use a bit of french felt - the stuff used to protect tables - to keep wider rubber tips on my BD over the top of the tips supplied by BD. Tacky rubbery stuff on one side, with cushioning, and felt on the other, which allows over-sized tips to be pulled on and off but still keeps them in place. I carry a small strip cut to size in my pack.

Now I think of it, Laurie, if you put the hard BD rubber tips on, you probably can fit other, softer, rubber, over the top. I almost never use the BD carbide tips.

Now that I think of it, it may be the case that the duct tape came off because the tape didn't rise higher than the end of the rubber tip, if that makes sense. Maybe if the tape were longer, the frequent putting on and taking off of the rubber tip wouldn't pull off the duct tape becuse the tip wouldn't reach the upper edge of the tape.

Now I think of it, Laurie, if you put the hard BD rubber tips on, you probably can fit other, softer, rubber, over the top. I almost never use the BD carbide tips.
Don't you always use the carbide tip on those steep descents we always seem to run into on every camino? I think it gives me a lot more stability than using the hard rubber tip would.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Probably but too much trouble, as you say, to take them on and off. The current ones seem quite good on downhills. Wider, so more stable.

Foiled again! The nice tips Mike recommended arrived today, and they are also too big for my BD poles. I am acquiring quite a collection.

So, linkster, how did your hose idea work? Any other great ideas about how to keep a normal sized rubber tip on the end of a BD Z-Pole shaft?

I have to say I think this is a design flaw. The first error BD made was to make the pole with two sets of tips (carbide and rubber) that require a monumental effort to change them. Totally impractical for anyone who wants to change back and forth from rubber to carbide and vice versa. The second error was that even if their idea of a "rubber tip" were easily changed with the carbide tip, the material it's made out of is nothing like anything rubber I've ever seen -- it's very hard and noisy. Third error-- not even "normal" BD rubber tips fit on this pole.

What next?
So sorry they didn't work for you. - Mike

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@peregrina2000, I used the technique described here quite successfully this year. I haven't changed the tape since I put it on last year, and my wife used these poles this year on the CF. The larger, 11 mm diameter throat, BD rubber tips were removed and replaced several time a day, pretty much at each transition from a sealed to unsealed surface and vice versa, and while there was some small amount of additional fraying at the edges, nowhere near sufficient to make the arrangement unworkable.

I found the knack was to twist the rubber tip onto the pole in the same direction as the tape had been applied. You will also see in the photos at the link that I used the carbide tip underneath the rubber tip, giving a very similar arrangement to a my other walking poles. The better grip of the metal tip on unsealed surfaces is a major advantage for me. I exert sufficient force on the pole that a rubber tip will lose traction and slip on loose surfaces.

I get your concerns about the BD FLZ design. I remember raising my concerns (here) about what I saw as the design compromises at the time that many members were singing the praises of these poles. Even though my wife used them successfully on her Camino, I don't think of her as being a demanding pole user, and she wasn't as affected by these compromises as I might have been.

@peregrina2000, I used the technique described here quite successfully this year. I haven't changed the tape since I put it on last year, and my wife used these poles this year on the CF. The larger, 11 mm diameter throat, BD rubber tips were removed and replaced several time a day, pretty much at each transition from a sealed to unsealed surface and vice versa, and while there was some small amount of additional fraying at the edges, nowhere near sufficient to make the arrangement unworkable.

I found the knack was to twist the rubber tip onto the pole in the same direction as the tape had been applied. You will also see in the photos at the link that I used the carbide tip underneath the rubber tip, giving a very similar arrangement to a my other walking poles. The better grip of the metal tip on unsealed surfaces is a major advantage for me. I exert sufficient force on the pole that a rubber tip will lose traction and slip on loose surfaces.

I get your concerns about the BD FLZ design. I remember raising my concerns (here) about what I saw as the design compromises at the time that many members were singing the praises of these poles. Even though my wife used them successfully on her Camino, I don't think of her as being a demanding pole user, and she wasn't as affected by these compromises as I might have been.
Thanks, Doug, I must have gotten that tip about the tape from you on that thread from last year. I don't know why it was such a disaster for me, but maybe it's because I didn't pay any attention to which direction I had applied the tape in. I'm not sure I'll remember that this year, but I am going to try again. And I'll bring extra duct tape wrapped around the pole for replacement just in case. Like you, I really want to be able to easily switch back and forth from carbide tip to a soft rubber tip. I guess BD thinks that is unreasonable behavior. :(

Thanks for your patience with me on this, and I'll try again! Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, Doug, I must have gotten that tip about the tape from you on that thread from last year. I don't know why it was such a disaster for me, but maybe it's because I didn't pay any attention to which direction I had applied the tape in. I'm not sure I'll remember that this year, but I am going to try again. And I'll bring extra duct tape wrapped around the pole for replacement just in case. Like you, I really want to be able to easily switch back and forth from carbide tip to a soft rubber tip. I guess BD thinks that is unreasonable behavior. :(

Thanks for your patience with me on this, and I'll try again! Laurie
Hi there,
Have received my Pacerpoles and being a pole virgin (that did not come out right and I didn't even mention pole dancing)
I have experimented with them locally and really love them and the fitted rubber tips. I have tried them on roads concrete footpaths, hilly walking tracks and on one occasion where my companion had to put her hand down to steady herself on a rough decent of rugged stairs.
Can you and/or Doug please suggest a scenario where I would be better off with 'tips'? I am a novice so this is much appreciated.

Can you and/or Doug please suggest a scenario where I would be better off with 'tips'?
My own pattern is to use the rubber tips when walking on sealed surfaces. Whether to use them at other times is a bit more complex. The bare metal tip can be quite aggressive in the damage it can do, particularly to compacted surfaces, so there are some circumstances where I would continue to use the rubber tips. For example, I would generally continue to use tips on compacted national park dirt walking trails, even if doing so means they will slip occasionally. On the other hand, when walking on gravel roads or cross country, I would generally not use the rubber tips. Steeper downhill slopes, unless the track surface is sealed, is another place where I would want to take advantage of the more positive positioning that the metal tip gives.

The in-between zone is very much up to you, and your own assessment of the impact you are having on the road, track or trail surface.

My own pattern is to use the rubber tips when walking on sealed surfaces. Whether to use them at other times is a bit more complex. The bare metal tip can be quite aggressive in the damage it can do, particularly to compacted surfaces, so there are some circumstances where I would continue to use the rubber tips. For example, I would generally continue to use tips on compacted national park dirt walking trails, even if doing so means they will slip occasionally. On the other hand, when walking on gravel roads or cross country, I would generally not use the rubber tips. Steeper downhill slopes, unless the track surface is sealed, is another place where I would want to take advantage of the more positive positioning that the metal tip gives.

The in-between zone is very much up to you, and your own assessment of the impact you are having on the road, track or trail surface.
Thanks Doug! Being both lazy and environmentally conscious, I might end up just using my pre-fitted Pacerpole rubber tips and hope for the best.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there,
Have received my Pacerpoles and being a pole virgin (that did not come out right and I didn't even mention pole dancing)
I have experimented with them locally and really love them and the fitted rubber tips. I have tried them on roads concrete footpaths, hilly walking tracks and on one occasion where my companion had to put her hand down to steady herself on a rough decent of rugged stairs.
Can you and/or Doug please suggest a scenario where I would be better off with 'tips'? I am a novice so this is much appreciated.
After a day of trying to put on/take off the rubber tips as the surface changed ( a lot!) I decided to just leave the rubber tips on, and they worked fine. Still have "tread" on them after walking from SJPDP to Finisterre.

After a day of trying to put on/take off the rubber tips as the surface changed ( a lot!) I decided to just leave the rubber tips on, and they worked fine. Still have "tread" on them after walking from SJPDP to Finisterre.
You are my inspiration. I will mention you to Heather Rhodes when I meet herpersonally inWindermere UK next May after my Camino walk.

@peregrina2000 I finally got around to a mod for my pole tips. I put a short piece of adhesive lined shrink tubing (3/8" diameter x 5/8" length) on the end of my trekking pole tips. It was a little tricky getting it on the tip because of the tight fit. I cleaned the tip with rubbing alcohol, and then just pushed it on. I tried with a longer piece of tubing, but was unsuccessful in getting it on. I did not want to use a lubricant. I have not heated the adhesive tubing to actually glue the tube to the pole tip because it seems tight enough. I am using the Black Diamond Trekking Pole Classic Tip Protector. They seem to fit very snug, and I do not think they will fall off very easily. The tip protectors already have a washer built in to seat on the carbide tips like @Charles-zammit suggested.

I have attached a picture for your review.
upload_2017-2-4_22-8-12.png

THANKS!!!! I thought the other day that I needed to get working on this. Doesn't it seem strange to you that a pole tip manufactured by the company that also makes the poles would need such an elaborate work-around to fit on the poles? I noticed that the information on the Classic Tip Protector seems to suggest they will fit on BD poles, but I take it from your picture that that is not the case. ??

I think I am going to write to Black Diamond because I've heard a lot of frustration about this very issue, and have already spent at least $50 trying to find a pole tip that works on their poles. But thanks a lot, linkster, I will report back! Buen camino, Laurie

@peregrina2000 the pole tip protectors did fit without a mod, but not as tight as my other trekking poles. I think my mod changed the force required to put them on or take them off has increased by a factor of 5 ~ 10. Not scientific, just a quess. I had called BD when I first got the poles and they suggested the rubber tech tips.

THANKS!!!! I thought the other day that I needed to get working on this. Doesn't it seem strange to you that a pole tip manufactured by the company that also makes the poles would need such an elaborate work-around to fit on the poles? I noticed that the information on the Classic Tip Protector seems to suggest they will fit on BD poles, but I take it from your picture that that is not the case. ??

I think I am going to write to Black Diamond because I've heard a lot of frustration about this very issue, and have already spent at least $50 trying to find a pole tip that works on their poles. But thanks a lot, linkster, I will report back! Buen camino, Laurie

In a similar vein, I have written Leki asking them to make their tips threaded and removable without needing tools. This would allow easy, field-expedient swapping of carbide tips for a blunt, rubber tip.

With the non-pointy rubber tip, the poles are walking aids and MAY be cabin-legal. If you do this, you can toss the carbide tips in a rucksack pocket where they are innocuous and appear harmless to security inspectors at airports. Replace them when you start walking.

I have already done this with my other, Black Diamond Poles. I replaced the pointy tips with the optional rubber tip /cap. The pointy bits go in a pocket.

I know this sounds like a "belt & suspenders" approach, but I also obtained BD rubber tips that fit OVER either the tungsten or BD rubber tips. The "outer" rubber tips can be used with BOTH the tungsten pointy tips OR the standard BD rubber nipple tips.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.