• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clara

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I am trying to find the lemon soda they mix with beer. Most likely it is different region to region but so far I have not been able to replicate it here.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
By "here" I assume you mean the States? If so, maybe you can forego the search and visit a local establishment to buy this:

I haven’t got the answer but did discover ‘clara’ was a really refreshing drink on camino. I’m not a beer drinker but found a ‘clara’ to be just right.
I noticed it wasn’t called clara everywhere though., so I usually just asked for cerveza con limón
- I didn’t enjoy the bottled alternative ‘radler’ as much as the mix https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...rp#imgdii=Z5joXMLn8KC8gM&imgrc=nEsc7PponZzmUM

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven’t got the answer but did discover ‘clara’ was a really refreshing drink on camino. I’m not a beer drinker but found a ‘clara’ to be just right.
I noticed it wasn’t called clara everywhere though., so I usually just asked for cerveza con limón
- I didn’t enjoy the bottled alternative ‘radler’ as much as the mix .
Yes. Clara, radler, and shandy are roughly equivalent.

By "here" I assume you mean the States? If so, maybe you can forego the search and visit a local establishment to buy this:

Tried it but it is just not the same. If I could find out what there are using behind the bar maybe I can replicate. Taste could also be driven by the beer and draft vs, bottle? Some folks will know what they use.

Thanks for the suggestion

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tried it but it is just not the same. If I could find out what there are using behind the bar maybe I can replicate. Taste could also be driven by the beer and draft vs, bottle? Some folks will know what they use.

Thanks for the suggestion
Joe, I think none of them will taste quite the same as you remember because you aren't in Spain! 😉

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Quite often I found clara being made with "La Casera Gaseosa" which is a slightly sweetened soda water

1594191734267.png
Not as sweet as lemonade though.

You sometimes get it made with a cloudy lemonade rather than Sprite.

To replicate the taste of Spanish Shandies I would go for a very mild taste lager, something like Budweiser, maybe Carling for Brits, potentially Stella, Heineken, Foster's or Tennet's if you are Scottish.

The perfect lemonade that you can get anywhere is IMO San Pellegrino, its sugar content is not that high therefore the flavour is properly citrusy and sour.

Mixing it 50:50 and you get a great summer refreshment.

My favourite pick for radler or just beer with a splash of lime squash is Carling followed by Foster's.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just like Guinness
Which reminds me of the Irish joke I heard recently:

Three company representatives from Budweiser, Schlitz and Guinness are at a brewing convention in Dublin. During a break in the proceedings they head off to one of the many bars for some refreshment.

The man from Budweiser ordered Budweiser, the man from Schlitz ordered Schlitz and the man from Guinness ordered a Pepsi Max.

"How come you're drinking that?" one of them asked.
"Ah, well," said the man from Guinness, "neither of you two ordered beer and I didn't want to be the odd one out."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You could very well be right that Spain is the missing ingredient.
My family had a history of bringing back to the UK drinks of an "exotic" nature which tasted so good in their native habitat but just weren't quite right in the damp, cold atmosphere of the British Isles.
I remember we brought back Kaiserbirne from Austria in 1963: made from pears, tasted of pear drops and smelled like nail varnish remover. That bottle lingered at the back of a store cupboard for many a year.
Pacharan, on the other hand . . . . served warm, is just so reminiscient of the Galloways cough syrup of childhood memories!

Three company representatives from Budweiser, Schlitz and Guinness are at a brewing convention in Dublin. During a break in the proceedings they head off to one of the many bars for some refreshment.

The man from Budweiser ordered Budweiser, the man from Schlitz ordered Schlitz and the man from Guinness ordered a Pepsi Max.

"Ah, well," said the man from Guinness, "neither of you two ordered beer and I didn't want to be the odd one out."
I don't drink beer, Jeff, but I still know what you mean...they were my father's beer, and don't forget Pabst Blue Ribbon, my dad's favorite. Today, the men in my life prefer the strong IPA's.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am trying to find the lemon soda they mix with beer. Most likely it is different region to region but so far I have not been able to replicate it here.
Quite a few bars I went into were using Fanta Lemon. Have used this myself and its just about right but never exactly the same as on the camino. Maybe the weather is not warm enough in Ireland or the beer needs to be Spanish but Coors lite and fanta lemon is the closest I got to it. BTW, do not order it in the Spanish tourist resorts, the price will shock you. At least double what you pay on thje camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Here in Canada we have our own jokes about American beer, but they usually involve couples in canoes.

Here in Canada we have our own jokes about American beer, but they usually involve couples in canoes.
That close to water eh? When I lived up in Thunder Bay we'd get a lot of tourists come up for the hunting and fishing and they couldn't understand how they got drunk so quickly. Kindly Canadian barkeepers then had to explain about alcohol!

I think it’s either Kas or Fanta.

Fanta available online the US but it’s pricey so you should get confirmation.

I think you are right Laurie. The Fanta is expensive here because it is being shipped from the UK.

There are lots of stores here that carry Fanta but none that carry Lemon.

I found a site for Kas that might work.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I make my tinto de verano with San Pelligrino lemon soda. It's not super sweet, and would probably be close to what you got in your beer in Spain. Look for the Limonata, not the lemon essence sparkling water.
View attachment 78493
I will check this one out. Believe it is available by me. Thank you

€60,-
- I didn’t enjoy the bottled alternative ‘radler’ as much as the mix https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...rp#imgdii=Z5joXMLn8KC8gM&imgrc=nEsc7PponZzmUM

I agree - the canned radler was pretty ordinary... That said, the 'mixed in front of you' of beer and lemon squash/soda was ordinary too...

However, the draught 'limon beer' (or whatever one cares to call it) was brilliant - just the thing after a long hard days walking!

Cannot wait to get bac there for some (well, I can, and will, wait, given current pandemic issues)!

43880464_257198458303725_3526049218076606464_n.jpg

Last edited:
You can order "clara" con limon, o con gaseosa. One has lemonade (NOT fizzy lemon pop... that is the key difference missing from US/UK imitations -- Spanish limon is minimally fizzy!). Clara con gaseosa is not so tart, but it's still very wet and refreshing at the end of a long walk.
Careful with your pronunciation, though. I ordered a "clara" the other day in Calzada de la Cueza, and was served bitter pink wine -- Clarete!
I drank it anyway.

That's why I like the San Pellegrino Limonata it is minimally fizzy.

I picked up some Limonata yesterday. Will begin experimenting with different beers. I have Modela, Stella, MGD and Heineken in house. Will pick up some Spanish beer @ local Binny's. I will enjoy experimenting if nothing else.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I experimented with Limonata today and 3 bottled beers (Heineken, Modela and Stella). None matched my memory of Clara. That said, the best match was with Stella. I accept the challenge to find Clara outside of Spain.

You can order "clara" con limon, o con gaseosa. One has lemonade (NOT fizzy lemon pop... that is the key difference missing from US/UK imitations -- Spanish limon is minimally fizzy!). Clara con gaseosa is not so tart, but it's still very wet and refreshing at the end of a long walk.
Careful with your pronunciation, though. I ordered a "clara" the other day in Calzada de la Cueza, and was served bitter pink wine -- Clarete!
I drank it anyway.
Yes it is better to say clara con limon or con gaseosa because in Madrid if you say only clara, you'll get gaseosa and in Cataluña lemonade.

I usually just ask for Cerveza con Limon, media y media. That is probably not correct but usually gets me what I want.

Last edited:
There are 2 main brands which make the limon here in Spain. Casera and Kas. If you access Schweppes Lemon in your country then makes a pretty good substitute. About the Radler comment, I think that the Amstel version is pretty good.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I never had a clue that there were so many varying types and tastes of lemonade and soda, all producing differing versions of a shandy...I hope Joe finds the perfect combination he is searching for.

FOR many years I enjoyed “Radler” in Austria, particularly in summertime.
Austrians have different mixtures they use. Some use a real lemonade mixture made with fresh lemons, others mix it with a soft drink similar to our “Sprite”, or some ginger ale,or even
“Almdudler”, which is a sweet, carbonated drink with herbs. But their beers make it best!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.