• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Clarification requested re: EU Announcement via CNN article

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendanPatrick

Time of past OR future Camino
“While travelers from these and other high-risk countries will be allowed entry if fully vaccinated, they must still quarantine for 10 days. And as of September 6, they must also produce a negative Covid test.”

–As quoted on CNN article

As an American who planned to start camino next week ‘all in Spain’ what does this mean?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As an American who planned to start camino next week ‘all in Spain’ what does this mean?

Hi, @BrendanPatrick,

I just googled that language and see that the CNN article is talking about the Netherlands’ new policy, nothing to do with Spain.

Take a look at this thread where the most recent Spanish regulations are discussed.

Buen camino, Laurie

“While travelers from these and other high-risk countries will be allowed entry if fully vaccinated, they must still quarantine for 10 days. And as of September 6, they must also produce a negative Covid test.”

–As quoted on CNN article

There is a new EU recommendation that travellers from the US should face some restrictions of this type.

This is however just a recommendation, not a mandate, so that each individual EU Member State shall implement it differently, if at all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, @BrendanPatrick,

I just googled that language and see that the CNN article is talking about the Netherlands’ new policy, nothing to do with Spain.

Take a look at this thread where the most recent Spanish regulations are discussed.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you, Laurie.
Buen Camino

So far, Italy has initiated a negative Covid test requirement and most other countries have done nothing. While it may change in the coming weeks/months, I doubt Spain will from zero testing to an outright ban. In short, don’t believe the hype. Make cancellable plans, but realize that much of the EU still wants your tourist dollars

So far, Italy has initiated a negative Covid test requirement and most other countries have done nothing
Well, the Netherlands did something, namely what the CNN article reports and what the quote says: travellers from the United States to the Netherlands must be fully vaccinated, must have a negative test result and must quarantine for 10 days of which they can "test out" after 5 days. All of the three requirements together for the single traveller, and all as of Monday, September 6.

Call it hype if you want, I would call it accurate reporting and the Dutch entry requirements "pretty strict and a lot stricter than Spain". :cool:

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, the Netherlands did something, namely what the CNN article reports and what the quote says: travellers from the United States to the Netherlands must be fully vaccinated, must have a negative test result and must quarantine for 10 days of which they can "test out" after 5 days. All of the three requirements together for the single traveller, and all as of Monday, September 6.

Call it hype if you want, I would call it accurate reporting and the Dutch entry requirements "pretty strict and a lot stricter than Spain". :cool:
The newspaper articles and EU advisory decision isn’t the hype, but all the rumors, panicking, etc. is. My point was simply to say that folks should take a reasoned approach to these changes rather than listening to the Chicken Littles of the web-world.

You and I are on the same team here.

So, I am going to post this because I think it may help to interpret one or the other news article.

It is widely understood by now that the often quoted EU Recommendation about travel restrictions are "only guidelines". People seem to think that it means that the EU countries will largely ignore it. Or, alternatively, that it applies to all EU countries with immediate effect and under a horrifyingly strict scenario = ALL ARE BANNED. This is not how it works. It is the governments of the EU countries themselves who vote on these EU Recommendations. In the most recent case - removing the USA and a handful of other countries from the "safe" list - 24 EU countries voted in favour (including Spain), 2 voted against (Greece and Croatia) and 1 abstained (Cyprus).

By and large, countries follow the recommendation which simply says: "continue to lift your travel restrictions for the countries on the safe list" but they have a large margin of manoeuvre in how they do it, and if and what changes they implement depends on what rules they had implemented earlier.

It appears to take a while before changes are put into action - perhaps a week or 10 days from the initial EU announcement. Italy acted immediately; Spain, The Netherlands and Sweden for example acted with a delay of a week - their stricter entry requirements for US travellers take effect as of 6 September; and the entry restrictions of all four of them are significantly different from each other.

If there are similar announcements in future, simply pay close and continued attention to the government websites of the country you plan to visit in the immediate future and ignore the rest. Your airline will also keep you informed (or at least they should do so).

Last edited:
What is the new requirement for Spain starting the 6th? Can you share a link? We leave October 1st!!

I have been looking to find out what the requirements might be for Spain. I have looked on the Spain site and I don't see any new requirements yet.

Thanks!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been looking to find out what the requirements might be for Spain. I have looked on the Spain site and I don't see any new requirements yet.
I'll post something about the links in the thread that @trecile has mentioned. They don't make it easy to find the relevant information in a clear and short form.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back