• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2008!

Arn

Veteran Member
It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there are a significant number of fellow pligrims in the mid- to final stages of the planning for their Camino.

I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we perigrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2008!

Buen Camino
Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
O.K. Arn, I'll reply:

My sister Jo-Ann and I have made all our plans to do the Camino leaving Vancouver, BC Canada on May 25, 2008 and returning on July 5, 2008. We have been packed and ready for 6 months and we have already broken in our boots. We're excited.

Marlane

Fantastic....Marlane and Jo Ann and Welcome!

Well folks, there's the first of many more I'm sure.

Let's see: Canada, the US, Sweden, what other nations are represented?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I joined the forum a couple of months ago, but now the pressure is building! I will be taking my first Camino, from SJPP, this spring. And I will be going solo (so exciting!)

I leave Atlanta April 8, 2008, and plan to return to Atlanta May 20. I plan to be quite active on this board in the next few weeks...I have LOTS of questions.

Hi,

I'll be starting from St Jean April 12th, and I have my flight home booked to May 26th. So I've given myself 1½ months to walk it.

Liliha, I hope to meet you on the road. Seems we're going at, roughly, the same time.

Buen Camino,
Hilda

My wife and I had originally been planning to walk starting from SJPP around the middle of April (the tag line on my introductory message was "An April start for us") but other issues have intervened and we are now planning to start about the middle of September next year.

I do have one piece of exciting news, however, and that is that we received our pilgrim credentials from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims this week so even though I haven't put a step on the camino yet, I feel like a pilgrim already. We also have a very nice scallop shell crest that will be attached to our back pack -- but I'm absolutely staying away from the Scallop Shell debate! 8)

As with Marlane Moreno who posted an earlier reply in this thread, we are from the Pacific Coast of Canada, Victoria, in our case.

-Derek

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Derek, Liliha and Hilda…the numbers keep growing and the excitement is awesome!
I do find it interesting though, that the largest number of pilgrims apparently are German…yet, not one so far! I guess I could count myself…but that’s two generations removed.
Oh, Derek…In the early 70’s I commanded the US honor guard attending the Bi-Centennial of BC entering the Canadian Confederation. I loved BC and Victoria. I was told that Victoria is a city of newly weds and nearly deads. I didn’t find it so. Quaint, historical…but definitely not dead!

Buen Camino!

Arn

Hi Arn :) ,
Certainly there are many planning and plotting for 2008, but I think many, but not all (eg Atlantic heart) of the contacts on this forum tend to be from countries where English is the 1st language.
In 2008 I won't be walking but will be static on the Camino, working as hospitalero at the Gaucelmo Refugio in Rabanal, so can I count myself as an honorary member of the 2008 class(?), and I hope to welcome :D some of you as you pass through in the last 2 weeks of June. Then in November 2008 we clean and decorate the refugio ready for the class of 2009 :!: :!: :!:
Buen Camino a todo!
Brendan

Brendan...welcome! Membership in the class is as much in the heart as it is in the doing!

I look forward to meeting you at the refugio and sharing notes. Taking on the hospitalero mission is more an honor than a task...of which I am positive you already are aware.

gracias

Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I joined a couple of months ago, but now the pressure is building! I will be taking my first Camino, from SJPP, this spring. And I will be going solo (so exciting!)

I leave Atlanta April 8, 2008, and plan to return to Atlanta May 20. I plan to be quite active on this board in the next few weeks...I have LOTS of questions.

Hi Liliha...and welcome!

Atlanta is one of my most favorite cities! I am currently deciding whether to fly out of DC or Atlanta to Madrid. Both have direct flight, though my Daughter could drop and pick up from DC.

Why did you decide to go on your Camino and have you ever done any long distance treks before?

Arn

brendan nolan said:
In 2008 I won't be walking but will be static on the Camino, working as hospitalero at the Gaucelmo Refugio in Rabanal, so can I count myself as an honorary member of the 2008 class(?), and I hope to welcome :D some of you as you pass through in the last 2 weeks of June. Then in November 2008 we clean and decorate the refugio ready for the class of 2009
Brendan, I'm so sorry I wont be seeing you on the camino. It would have been nice to meet you in person, but I hope to have finished my camino quite a lot sooner than the last 2 weeks of June. Maybe some other time =)

dlr47 said:
We also have a very nice scallop shell crest that will be attached to our back pack -- but I'm absolutely staying away from the Scallop Shell debate!
I don't have a scallop shell just yet, but since I'm visiting my sister in Florida before starting my camino I figured I could pick one up there. We're going to a place called Sanibel Islands, famous for its many sea shells. So we're going shelling, and now I have a perfect goal. To find a scallop shell for my pilgrimage. =)

Hilda

Ps. Arn, there is a swedish writer, Jan Guillo, who writes a series of books about a character named Arn, he's a crusader or knights templar I think. =)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hilda,
I will be in St Pete Florida from about the 6th to the 9th of January attending the US Sailing symposium. I’m giving a talk on “Teaching sailors with Intellectual Disabilities”. I lived in Tampa for four years and Miami for two.

Sanibel and Captiva are considered the shelling islands of Florida. As a general rule the smaller seashells are found on the Lighthouse end and larger ones nearer Captiva and North Captiva. Scallops, Murex, Tulip, Olive, Coquina, are among the species you may expect to find at that end.

Have a super time!

On the topic of the Swedish writer Jan Guillo, I believe he’s the same author who wrote: “Enemy's Enemy” of "Coq Rouge" series, chronicling the career of Naval Commander Carl Gustaf Gilbert Hamilton, Sweden's reluctant James Bond. Hamilton is a Swedish noble, recruited by the Swedish navy and trained by the CIA and Navy Seals, to become Sweden's one-man secret army.

The Knight Templar (Swedish: Tempelriddaren) is the second book in Jan Guillou's The Knight Templar (Crusades trilogy) book series. This book follows the fictional character of Arn Magnusson as a Knight Templar in the kingdom of Jerusalem. The book starts in Arn's 27th year and ends as he departs the holy lands.

I find two parallels very interesting: The first has to do with the name ARN…seldom is it a stand-a-lone name. What I mean is I’ve come across a basket full of Arne’s. Mostly Scandinavian! I dated the lovely Eda Elliason in Pakistan, her father was Arne, as was her Brother. The second parallel is with Arn the templar. You may have noticed my avatar is a Templar. I’ve been over most of the Templar/Crusader battlefields and have a deep interest in them as a military brotherhood. I believe Guillou has looked over my shoulder, though I haven’t read any of his works. The translations I’ve come across do not do him justice. When my Daughter attended her best friend’s wedding in Stockholm, I asked for the 10 book series, but they couldn’t find English translations they believed worthy of carrying back.
Arn

“Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed Nomine Tuo ad gloriam” “Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory.”

Hi Arn and all other 2008ers

I'm planning my Camino for April/May 2008 - leaving Canberra, Australia on 20 April and starting from St Jean Pied de Port. I'm flying into London then, after a couple of days of jet-lag recovery, on to Biarritz/Bayonne/StJ.

I'm giving myself 7 weeks to travel the long distance from Australia, enjoy the Camino at my own pace and maybe see some more of Spain (Salamanca, Barcelona ?) after I've finished - anyone got recommendations? Not sure if I'll be in the mind-set to do the touristy thing after I finish but I'll see how I feel.

cheers
Megan

Cyd said:
enjoy the Camino at my own pace and maybe see some more of Spain (Salamanca, Barcelona ?) after I've finished - anyone got recommendations?

Welcome aboard! Enjoying the Camino at your own pace is a biggie. Resist the temptation of being a 40K-a-day junkie. Since you have so much time, think about taking some break days here and there. I did so at Logrono, Burgos, Leon, and did a 2-night retreat at a monastery in Rabanal. You may find those or other places interesting enough to tarry in.

As for afterwards - well, that's hard to say. Before leaving for the Camino, I had big plans of hitting Italy, Portugal, and even Amsterdam after getting my compostela. But after I reached Santiago (I started in St. Jean), all that went out the window. I was physically and emotionally drained after 40 days on the Camino. So instead, I spent 3 nights in Santiago hanging out and celebrating with other pilgrims. After that, I took a bus back to Paris, spent 3 nights there, and took an early flight home.

I did do a bit of touristy stuff before reaching St. Jean, though. After landing in Paris, I took a train down to Bordeaux and spent a couple of days there. I had thought of starting my pilgrimage in Bordeaux, because there are many references to the Camino there (I did get my credencial and 1st stamp at the Tourist Office, though). Then I spent a day each in Bayonne and St. Jean before starting the Way.

You should always believe that you'll return someday. I had thought about continuing on to Finisterre, and a number of pilgrims do just that (either by foot, or by bus). But when I walked into the cathedral square I knew I was done trekking for the time being. Indeed, the idea of walking into Finisterre is still in my heart, and it gives me something to look forward to in the future.

So, perhaps the one thing to remember is this: planning is one thing, reality is another. I would advise being flexible and keeping your options open. After all, you can do the touristy stuff anytime - but a pilgrimage is something special to be savored. No book, DVD, or web site can prepare you for what you will experience on the Way. You may be surprised at what the Camino does to you...I know I was. :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Megan...and welcome!

Gosh the flight must be a real heart stopper!

I've given some thought to continuing on to Finisterra...just to see the Sun set at the end of the world!

I love Australia! The people, the beaches, the people...oh I already said that! I found that the Australian people are as genuine as they get!

Hope to see you on the Camino!

Arn

brendan nolan said:
In 2008 I won't be walking but will be static on the Camino, working as hospitalero at the Gaucelmo Refugio in Rabanal

Just want to post a shout-out for this albergue - it was one of my favorites along the Way. It has good, clean facilities, plenty of hot water, a huge back yard to relax in, snacks, a kitchen, and even a small library. The folks running it are cool as well - I ate and partied with some of the fine English and Canadian lasses there during a festival in town (they didn't nickname me "Mr. Dance" for nothing!).

Also, for those with enough time, the adjoining monastery allows you to stay for a minimum 2-night retreat -for donativo! All they require is that you be present for the meals and help out a bit here and there with some basic chores. Other then that, you can relax most of the day and meditate on your Camino experience. They also have a nice little library, good facilities (they'll even do your laundry for you - in a machine! By that time on the Way, you'll know how totally awesome that is), offer various optional pilgrim-oriented church services throughout the day, and the food is great (as it should be, because if you stay you'll probably help cook it). :arrow:

Vinotinto,

I've allowed myself nearly 45 days to complete my Camino. I was thinking that it was way too much! With the suggestions you and others have given, I may have planned just the right amount of time. I think I may need a few days after the wine tap, then some more after dinner in a cave, but most appealing is the opportunity to conduct a two day retreat at the Gaucelmo Refugio in Rabanal. Also, I'm a darn good cook. For all you folks that like sheep, especially my South African friends, I do the best whole sheep/lamb you can find.

Buen Camino!!!
Arn

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi to all the Class of 2008,

Been a forum member since April, 2007. We took up the challenge of Ivar and our son to undertake a Camino of our own around that time.

Read the daily new posts and have gained a wealth of information into what preparation is required to make the best of our Camino experience. It was through personal correspondence with Athena and Peskywabbit, who very happily answered some of our concerns and offered advice, that the decision was made to undertake the Camino Portugues.

The plan is to walk from Tui to Santiago de Compostella in May and then bus out to Finisterre if time
allows. Air fares booked and a regular training regime is in place. We are walking about 13 km and have plenty of time to stretch it out to 25 km in a day. At the moment it is rather warm in our part of Australia and any walking is done very early in the morning to beat the heat (and the flies).

May can't come soon enough, Best wishes to all for the year ahead. Buen Camino.

Hi all

Hubby and I are leaving SA on 22 May so will start our walk in SJPP on 24 May!!!! :D

Unfortunately we can only walk for about 2 weeks. As we don't want to rush and really want to enjoy the whole experience we not sure how far we going to walk in that time - but we find that exciting.

Welcome...Rose Louise and Mouse!

You're both correct, the thread is growing by leaps and bounds demonstrating once again that, we truly "don't walk alone!"

I've been on several forums and find that the information, inspirational, and practical "how to's" just can't be beat, nor duplicated anywhere else.

Mouse, my (in-law) family lives in the vicinity between Pretoria and Pietermaritzburg. I'm sure by now you've discovered that Sil, also from SA is a wealth of knowledge and common sense.

Stay connected on your Camino!

Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Arn,

I decided to take this trip to commemorate the many transformations I have undergone, both internal and external, over the last two years. Someone I trust deeply suggested that this experience would not be so much an opening of new opportunities for me as much as a consolidation of the recent changes in my life. And I believe she is right...the pilgrimage seems to have begun the moment I decided to undertake it.

And in the spirit of openness, I should say the idea came to me through Paulo Coelho's books.

I don't have any experience with the DC airport, but a sendoff from one's family might be nice. My experience with the Atlanta airport is extensive to say the least, though, and I have quite a lot of affection for it. I will be flying Atlanta to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Bordeaux.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Hey Arn! I've already walked parts of the Camino twice this year (SJPdP to Logrono, then Logrono to Leon), but plan to walk from Triacastela or Sarria to Santiago in May or September 2008. When I go depends on $, vacation leave & my schedule. :) No matter when I walk, I hope to meet some fellow forum members! :arrow:

Kelly

Arn said "I've given some thought to continuing on to Finisterra...just to see the Sun set at the end of the world!"
Hi Arn,
I definitely recommend the walk to Finisterre or Fisterra as it is called by the locals if you have the time. Apart from the glorious sunset (and sunrise if you're up to it) you will see a completely different part of Spain. You'll walk through the regrowth from the terrible forest fires of 2005, you'll see the beauty of a quieter way of life, you'll hear Spanish spoken that sounds more like Portuguese than the Spanish you will be used to, you'll experience different food, wonderful people and small coastal communities. For me it felt like a more appropriate end to the camino than Santiago (glorious as parts of the city are!). Santiago is an outward end to a long trip but very buzzy after the peace of the camino. As I found myself completely alone watching the sun set at the end of the earth, I felt Finisterre gave me much more of an internal sense of completion.
Buen camino
Cecelia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hail Fellow Peregrinos/Peregrinas
I've been monitoring this thread for some days now, having joined this forum back in mid-September. Time for another Canuck to jump in and add my 2-cents worth. I'll be leaving on May 8 for Madrid, busing to Pamplona, and starting at Roncesvalles on May 11. Heading back to Canada on June 21. As many have already voiced, this forum has anything and everything you could possibly want to know about walking the various Camino routes. From seasoned veterans to novices like myself, the camaraderie is infectious and makes you want to hit the road that much sooner. Hope to meet some of you as we journey.
Keith

Welcome….Keith!
It seems that since I started this thread…I’ve sorta taken it upon myself to be the semi official “meeter-greeter”…and it’s making me a more social kinda guy! My Daughter Romi would be ecstatic!
As the group grows and we become more involved I’m sure the “excitement” of the Camino will continue its infectious run through each and every one of our beings. It’s one thing to tell the folks at home what you’ll be doing…most will be supportive, some politely interested and, some few others so into their own world…will nod and not give it another thought.
BUT, we, your fellows along the Milky Way are now a part of your excitement, we share your thoughts, your concerns and add our encouragement and support…right along there beside you. So whether you do only a section, the entire walk from your front door, SJPP or another route, and thanks Cecelia for the added boost…we are all there with you…all the way!
Buen Camino
Arn

Hi All,

I also am planning to walk from Rocannesville, starting about Sept 20 and am allowing 5 weeks. The plan is to fly into Madrid and bus to Pamplona / Rocannesville. I'm hoping to be able to use my 30L pack. If I don't carry a ThermaRest and sleeping bag (using sleeping bag liner instead) I should be able to do this. Suggestions on what to carry are welcome.

Best Regards,
Trundle
Winnipeg, Canada

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trundle - I feel the cold and I personally would take a sleeping bag at that time of the year - blankets are not always guaranteed in albergues and I'm never sure of their ... errrr...provenance.

Others may have different views.

Good luck

John

itinerary to date

50th birthday - 4th September

fly Bristol - Biarritz 5th September

explore STJDPDP - 6th / 7th September

start walking and avoid weekend starters - 8th September

arrive Santiago sometime around end of October

suddenly it's starting to seem real!

JohnnieWalker said:
Trundle - I feel the cold and I personally would take a sleeping bag at that time of the year - blankets are not always guaranteed in albergues and I'm never sure of their ... errrr...provenance.

I second this - heck, there were cool nights during July-August of 2007 that made me glad I had my North Face 40 degree bag. And yes, the blankets - if there - can be skanky. Like the time I found used Compeed in one...ick. :arrow:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The albergue at Roncesvalles has a notice posted outside the door that states that sleeping bags are compulsory. They do not provide pillows or blankets. I was there in mid july and it was bloody cold!
Don't take more than 6kg

Bought my ticket to London 2 days ago, leaving Canberra 20 April - no going back now - non-refundable...eek.

actually feeling very very good about it and excited. the universe is giving me signs that I should go in the form of scallop shells in unlikely places - my encounters with scallop shells so far:

- bought a set of lawn bowls recently with a scallop shell motif
- was looking at a t-shirt because it has a picture of ducks on it and noticed the background was a scallop shell design (not a usual combination)

I'm expecting another scallop shell sign soon.

On another note - everyone says to keep your pack light but the recent discussion here about skanky blankets leads me to think that I should take a more substantial sleeping bag than the very lightweight summer one I was planning to take (500g) - as far as I can tell its going to be cold in April and May, so I'll need some warmer clothes - can't see myself getting away with a total pack weight of much less than 10kg.

cheers
Megan

10kg is TOO MUCH!! I took a Snugpak 900gr sleeping bag and it was enough-even for Rocesvalles (mind you it was mid july but cold non the less). I was horrified to see many women take up to 1kg of cosmetics-I took 1 bar of soap for washing me, my clothes and shaving with.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cyd wrote :
"more substantial sleeping bag than the very lightweight summer one I was planning to take (500g) - as far as I can tell its going to be cold in April and May, so I'll need some warmer clothes"

Being a tropical bird, I am not used to very cold weather either, so when I started my Camino at Roncesvalles on April 23, the weather was still very unstable. I did not use the blankets, not because they were skanky, but because I had brought a 4 ounce silk mummy liner which added a few more degrees warmth to my 600 kg sleeping bag. When it got too cold, which it did at times, I slept dressed in my walking clothes. Besides, when you put so many tired bodies in a single room with closed doors and windows, the albergues can get a little bit warm! Taking the silk liner allowed me to stay within the 7 kilo max weight.

Do not worry, you'll be fine!

Buen camino :arrow:

omar504 said:
10kg is TOO MUCH!! I took a Snugpak 900gr sleeping bag and it was enough-even for Rocesvalles (mind you it was mid july but cold non the less). I was horrified to see many women take up to 1kg of cosmetics-I took 1 bar of soap for washing me, my clothes and shaving with.

I have never worn makeup so that's not on the packing list! :lol:

I've done plenty of bushwalking and don't mind roughing it - I'm not taking anything that I think is extraneous.

I've seen plenty of pictures of snow in April when I am planning to start so I'd rather carry a couple more kilos than die of hypothermia crossing the Pyranees.

I weigh nearly 80kg and am relatively strong so 10kg is not much above the 10% body weight/pack weight recommendations. I've done a 3 hour walk with my pack at 8kg and because my pack is a perfect fit for my body it felt like carrying nothing at all - I know, I know - before you all start that 10kg over 4-5 weeks feels like 50 tun!

My main concern was sleeping warmth at night, I'll take the summer weight bag and a silk liner, reckon that'll be ok. I think I'll be able to work out the pack weight stuff well enough.

Thanks for the responses...now back to my training...yeehah!

m

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cyd said:
I'll take the summer weight bag and a silk liner

I don't think you need both - I tried bringing a 40 degree bag and a silk liner, but ended up getting rid of the silk liner at an albergue early on. My 40 degree bag zipped out into a quilt, so if I needed to be cooler I was able to extend my arms and legs out into the air.

Cyd said:
I think I'll be able to work out the pack weight stuff well enough.

Well, if you don't, it will certainly work you out... :wink: I started with way too much - about 22k. I also had a comfortable pack, but my feet still got hammered by the weight. So, I got rid of a bunch of stuff here and there, and even mailed about 2.5k of unneeded items to Santiago from Najera (that's something you can do if you end up bringing too much). The post office there will hold your stuff for around 30 days or so... :arrow:

jeff001 said:
Cyd: Don't say you weren't warned. :roll:

noted - thanks - i have been paying careful attention to all advice re packing on this forum. as my trip is a little way off yet and i haven't worked out my exact packing list i am confident i will do the right thing with regards weight.

i also note though, there is a lot of debate on this forum about weight - there is enough discussion about this in other threads without going in to that here.

i'm more interested in discussing the scallop shell signs that seem to be appearing to me! guess its just one of those things that now i am aware of them i see them everywhere...never-the-less i like to think the universe is confirming my choice to walk the Camino and that i am well on my way

all's right with the world today it would seem, its a beautiful day in Canberra - i'm off on holidays on monday back to my native land New Zealand - will get to do some Camino practice on one of the fine walks over there. my excitement about the Camino is mounting by the day now that i've booked my ticket...

peace love and light backpacks to all :wink:
Megan

vinotinto said:
I started with way too much - about 22k. I also had a comfortable pack, but my feet still got hammered by the weight. So, I got rid of a bunch of stuff here and there, and even mailed about 2.5k of unneeded items to Santiago from Najera (that's something you can do if you end up bringing too much). The post office there will hold your stuff for around 30 days or so... :arrow:

just out of interest, and without rekindling the pack weight debate, how much did you end up carrying?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Cyd! Let me ditto what everyone else is telling you about weight. Trust me, I speak from experience: you will be a lot happier if you take as little as possible. :) It is amazing to discover just how little you can do with & still keep body & soul together.

As for the scallop shells that keep appearing: I had something like that happen to me too. Before my first camino, I was cleaning out my bathroom, when I came across a box of seashells I collected many many years ago. One of them was a perfect scallop shell, although much smaller than the ones you'll see on the Camino. More recently, arrows are drawing my attention & cropping up in strange places, like a light pole that's on my way to work (although the arrow is blue & pointed down---um, I don't think I want to go THAT way lol). I know the skeptics out there will :roll: & say those things were always there, you just didn't notice them, & perhaps they were. But, you have now committed yourself to this Camino, so these symbols have taken on more meaning for you.

I went to a psychic recently (please no :roll:) and before I said anything, she said she saw me surrounded by seashells. She interpreted this as meaning I will move soon to somewhere along the coast. I interpreted it a sign that I am meant to do the Camino & a blessing from my parents for me to do this.

Kelly

Cyd said:
just out of interest, and without rekindling the pack weight debate, how much did you end up carrying?

Well, there are probably still mementos of me at every albergue between St. Jean and Logrono (hehe). I kept getting rid of stuff until I couldn't bear to part with anything else.

I know it was 22k in the beginning because the folks at the St. Jean pilgrim office took one look at my pack and asked to weigh it on their hook scale. They were a bit shocked, to say the least. After that, I was too scared to weigh it again later on because I didn't want to know if I was still carrying way too much.

But even after getting rid of gear or mailing it ahead, I imagine that I still had around 15K (including my pack) on my back when I walked into Santiago. It certainly felt lighter, at any rate... :arrow:

Oops - just noticed you were from NZ, so I'll reedit to add this anecdote. I began the Camino in St. Jean with a young Slovanian woman and a retired teacher from NZ. He was an experienced trekker, and after the Camino he was heading to my home state (Washington) to hike some places close to where I live (small world, eh?).

Anyway, he was carrying 17K in a well-worn pack, because he had to take along clothes suitable for a wedding he was going to attend later on! And with that weight, he easily outwalked us - even with a broken pack strap he jury-rigged back together. I was impressed, to say the least...

Cyd don't forget to make sure your shoes are well worn in. Good luck for your holiday in Australia's eastern state-I mean New Zealand

omar504 said:
Cyd don't forget to make sure your shoes are well worn in. Good luck for your holiday in Australia's eastern state-I mean New Zealand

:lol: - cheeky...

sometimes I think Tasmania and NZ should join forces against the incest and sheep jokes :lol:

I paid for my airline tickets today. I fly out of Sydney on 26 Feb. I'll be spending March in Granada trying to learn some Spanish and will set off from Malaga the first week in April. I have 10 weeks to get to Finisterre which should be ok.

Anyone else doing the Camino Mozarabe?

I paid for my airline tickets today. I fly out of Sydney on 26 Feb. I'll be spending March in Granada trying to learn some Spanish and will set off from Malaga the first week in April. I have 10 weeks to get to Finisterre which should be ok.

Anyone else doing the Camino Mozarabe?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
vinotinto said:
Oops - just noticed you were from NZ, so I'll reedit to add this anecdote. I began the Camino in St. Jean with a young Slovanian woman and a retired teacher from NZ.

I imagine that vinotinto had no idea what kind of controversy he might set off with his comment :lol:
For everybody's information, Australia is the island that lies to the west of the archipelago of New Zealand :D
And it is a three hour flight across the ocean from one country to the other :wink:
Margaret
who flies out of NZ on April 5th
and who expects to get to Le Puy about April 13th.

And it is a three hour flight across the ocean from one country to the other
Margaret
who flies out of NZ on April 5th
and who expects to get to Le Puy about April 13th.
I walked from Le Puy last late june-got wet too a lot of the time. The Raju book, which I presume you are using is OK but msleading in places not that it really matters as the way is well marked. he French part has some beautiful places-such as Conques. Mind you the first few days are VERY hard, up and down up and down...
By the way I thought NZ was about 40 years across the ocean

omar504 said:
I walked from Le Puy last late june-got wet too a lot of the time. The Raju book, which I presume you are using is OK but msleading in places not that it really matters as the way is well marked. The French part has some beautiful places-such as Conques. Mind you the first few days are VERY hard, up and down up and down...
By the way I thought NZ was about 40 years across the ocean

Yes, I was reading some of your accounts and noticed how wet it was. I was surprised, as last year I was cycling in France and there was a heatwave in June, that had me cycling in the mornings and having siestas under trees in the afternoons! However, I got absolutely drenched one morning walking in Cahors, so I have experienced some of the rain in that part of France.

I have actually bought the French Topoguides (as I read French) but plan to annotate them with notes from the Raju book. And I have heard from others about how hard those first days out of Le Puy are, especially the climb out of Monistrol d'Allier. My current full-time job finishes on 20th December, and I am only expecting to be working casual days in Feb/March, so I will have ample opportunity to practise some hill climbing.

We may be 40 years across the ocean.... but I notice you just had to hire a Kiwi coach over there ;-)

KiwiNomad06 said:
I imagine that vinotinto had no idea what kind of controversy he might set off with his comment

Sorry, got her mixed up w/one of you guys, I suppose...but the NZ guy's ability is impressive regardless of where he's from... :wink:

vinotinto said:
KiwiNomad06 said:
I imagine that vinotinto had no idea what kind of controversy he might set off with his comment

Sorry, got her mixed up w/one of you guys, I suppose...but the NZ guy's ability is impressive regardless of where he's from... :wink:

no mix up Vinotinto - I'm one of those NZers who left the country to live in Australia - I have the best of both worlds. There's a great (well intentioned) rivalry between Oz and NZ - its particularly amusing when NZ bands make it big in Oz and suddenly they're known as ' the Australian band...'

and lets not go anywhere near sport! I develop a split personality when there's any kind of competition - never know who to barrack for unless, of course, I am watching something with my nephews (who live in NZ) and it really gets their goat if I barrack for Oz...*lmao* :p :lol:

Hello Trundle, JameB, AJ and Margaret...and Welcome!

Gosh there's a substantial number of folks that are making the Camino from well away from Europe. I can see it now...a peregrino in the 11th century sits on the beach at Finsterra and says..."Do you think there's life beyond this beach?" His friend says..."Are you off your feed or something? Next you'll be questioning whether we revolve around the Sun! It's science man...irrefutable fact. There's no chance a peregrino will ever make the Camino from across the sea!"

Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cyd,

When I was in Sydney there was a beer strike on and I foolishly asked if they couldn't bring some in from Melbourne? Well, you'd a thought I'd suggested OZ drop out of the Commonwealth. Drink Mel beer! I'd rather drink piss...was the attitude of one bloke.

Oh, and since you're into sport...I just happen to have....sitting right here my Springbok Rugby jersey! Nuff said!

regards
Arn

Well, the month is drawing to a close and soon New Years will be upon us.

In short order, the Class of 2008 will begin their walk along the Milky Way!

I'm sure many of you would start right now..if you could. I know I would!

Although my April start date is still over 100 days away, the excitement builds and I can wait.

We haven't added to the class lately, so time to let the rest of the class in on your plans and tell us who you are and when you're going to start.

Buen Camino
Arn

Hey Derek hi there about your credentials from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims I also wrote and sent the funds to join and to receive the credential. How long did you wait before you received it?

Anyway have a great camino, I start on May of 2008.See you.

niel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I too will be walking next year. I will leave Granada about 7th may to join the vdlp at Merida then on to SDC.As it's such a long way from Oz I will probably then do the camino del norte-that will be enough for that year! This year I walked from Le Puy to SDC (and on to Finisterre) and last year was from VDLP to SDC.

Nathanael asked:

[A]bout your credentials from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims I also wrote and sent the funds to join and to receive the credential. How long did you wait before you received it?
I just checked my canceled cheque. It was cashed about 5 weeks after I wrote it and I got the credential about the same time. I don't know much about the organization but I assume it's run on a day to day basis by a few volunteers so I wouldn't expect service like amazon.com. It was exciting when it arrived, though.

By the way, I thought it was a nice touch that they included a plastic garbage bag with the credential along with the request that I take the time one of the days I am walking to pick up garbage and deposit it in an appropriate place. The bag has the logo of the Company of Canadian Pilgrims on it so someone might notice that we are trying to do the right thing.

Derek, hi there I wanted to ask about the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. I posted this question a few days ago and some how it did not appear on the forum. Anyway I am doing the camino in early May posssibly the 2nd. since I want to spend a few days in Madrid. You stated you received your credentials from the said company in Canada I also have done so and had to join in order to qualify. Was it a long waiting period to get the credentials?

I hope to meet you on our journy, I plan to leave here onthe 29th. of April and then make my way to Roncesvalles to start the journey. Good luck and safe travelling.

Pax Vobis

niel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, I definitely belong to the class of 2008! Since June 2007 I started my Camino by changing my walking habits, going into a healthy diet, breaking in walking shoes, looking for forums and all kind of information I could read and etc...
I'll leave Rio on May 28 directly to Paris and from there by train to SJPP. Hope to get to Santiago around July 5th. I am not sure about the amount of time I'll spend in Santiago because I still want to stay in Paris for some days before going back to Rio on the 15th of July. I have heard so many good advices in this forum that I hope to meet some of you guys along the camino to say thank you in person...
Now I am counting the days. It is exciting, sometimes a little scary (I'll go alone) but most of the time, exhilarating!!! So, class of 2008, here I go!! Sumachado. :wink: :wink: :p :mrgreen:

Sumachado,
I am starting to walk from Le Puy mid-April. I am not sure how long it will take me to get to SJPP - as I am only planning to walk slowly. But you never know, our paths may cross. I will be the Kiwi with a red pack that has a badge with a kiwi with walking boots on.
Margaret

Sumachado said:
I am not sure about the amount of time I'll spend in Santiago because I still want to stay in Paris for some days before going back to Rio on the 15th of July

Perhaps this will help your decision process: I did the Way this summer, and after reaching Santiago I spent 3 nights there hanging out with some cool Spanish pilgrims I met about two weeks before reaching Santiago. I'm not sure I would've spent that long in Santiago if it hadn't been for them - their company really made the city come alive for me.

Anyway, I took a bus from Santiago to Paris, since, like you, I wanted to spend some time there (plus I flew in and out of CDG). The Paris bus left the Santiago station at 12:30PM on Mon/Wed/Fridays, cost about 108 Euros, and took about 24 hours to reach Paris (counting some stops for breaks and dinner). It wasn't the most comfortable road trip I'd ever taken, but at least I didn't have to worry about changing trains.

Speaking of trains, a German pilgrim I met used them to get back to Paris from Santiago, and I'm sure he got there in less time than it took me (but he had to change trains a time or two).

I ended up spending 3 nights in Paris. But after the austerity of the Camino, the glamorous City of Light was kind of a culture shock. Everything was much more expensive, especially accomodations. I was pretty anxious to get home anyway, so I decided to leave 5 days before my scheduled flight. One morning I checked out of my hotel, took the shuttle bus to the airport (it leaves from the old Opera every 15 minutes, costs about 8 Euros, and takes about an hour to get to CDG), and caught an early flight back to the US that same day (it cost about 200 Euros to rebook, including the connecting flight from Newark to Portland, OR).

Anyway, hope this helps - buen Camino! :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Vinotinto, thank you again! You are a full source of good info. I have written down all your posts concerning CDG, SJPDP, Santiago, etc.. I understand perfectly well what you say about Paris , however, coming from Brazil, I cannot miss the opportunity to visit Paris, especially because I already have been in the interior of France,( Toulouse, Puy L'Evec, Cahors, Rocamadour...) so visiting Paris is a must. I am already saving for Paris . Hope I'll be able to find some cheap accomodation ( hostel, maybe ). Thank you again. Hope to meet you and Kiwi someday in the Camino. Cheers! Sumachado :lol: :lol:

Kiwi, (Margaret) I surely hope to find you and your flag in the Camino. I'll have a Brazilian flag, too in my backpack and hat. See you there!! :p :p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, Arn. I'll look into the site and try to find out some place in Paris which may have reasonable prices. I appreciate the interest. Regards. Sumachado. :lol:

I seems to me that flying to Paris from Santiago is much the better way to go. I just checked and Vueling has flights in min-June for E50 and the flight takes less than 2 hours. Paying more to ride for 24 hours on a bus or train doesn't add up for me.

Jeff wrote: or train doesn't add up for me

Hi Jeff,

I guess it depends on your point of reference. I was reminded of something while reading another thread posted by Jihyeong YU, from South Korea.

When I was traveling in KS, I often went by train. When we had a “first timer” along, they would often ask how long the ride would be. The simple response would be: 3, or 6, or possibly more. Still confused, the FT’er would ask for clarification.

Here goes: On trains in KS, there’s a fellow with a cart that moves up and down the train…end to end. And, although there were other items on his card, our item of choice was OB, a beer in a quart (1 ltr) size bottle. Thus, if the ride allowed the passenger to drink one or more bottles of OB…that’s how long the trip would take.

Now, if you want to relax following your Camino and, the bus or train allows the consumption of adult beverages…a 24 hour ride may seem like only 2-3 hours.

Buen Camino,
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To each his own, I guess, but I would rather sip the adult bev in a cafe in either Santiago or Paris than onboard an overnight bus. :wink:

As I have to travel from Australia I try to minimise travel time. The shortest flight to Europe is 22 flying hours plus the 1-2 hour stopover in either Hog Kong or Singapore.There is also a 11 hour time difference so arriving then catching a bus would be a nightmare. I'm flying to LOndon for convenience then after a 2 days using Ryanair to Granada. By the way where or what is KS?

Sumachado said:
I understand perfectly well what you say about Paris , however, coming from Brazil, I cannot miss the opportunity to visit Paris, especially because I already have been in the interior of France,( Toulouse, Puy L'Evec, Cahors, Rocamadour...) so visiting Paris is a must.

Most definitely! I had been to Paris once before, and it was nice to simply relax and enjoy it this time around without rushing to see this museum or that historical site (although I did visit a couple I'd missed on my first visit). Paris is one of my favorite cities - I've had some awesome experiences there, especially with the people. The train system is great for getting around as well.

Sumachado said:
Thank you again. Hope to meet you and Kiwi someday in the Camino. Cheers! Sumachado

That would be cool, my friend! :) :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
jeff001 said:
I seems to me that flying to Paris from Santiago is much the better way to go. I just checked and Vueling has flights in min-June for E50 and the flight takes less than 2 hours. Paying more to ride for 24 hours on a bus or train doesn't add up for me.

Well, these are the reasons that the bus worked out for me:

1) Riding the bus was easy. On impulse, I simply walked to the bus station and bought a ticket about an hour and a half before the bus left - no reservations needed, and no need to pay for a cab or shuttle bus to the airport. I didn't have to worry about changing trains, and I didn't have to wait in an airline terminal for hours or deal with security agents. I flew Easyjet back in 2003 from London to Madrid, and they were a bit touchy about carry-on baggage - not to mention making you pay extra if your bag didn't meet their weight standards.

At the end of my pilgrimage, I didn't want to worry about having an airline lose my pack, or fret about claiming it, or having it ripped off while I was sleeping next to it on a train. When I got to Paris, I simply took my bag out of the luggage compartment and started walking to the nearest subway station - again, I didn't have to pay for a cab/train/shuttle to get to Paris from the CDG or Orly airport. I've also done the night train from Copenhagen to Stockholm, and that was cramped and noisy. The bus' large, padded seat, while not the Ritz, was more comfortable than a train or a plane seat.

2) The bus crosses the Camino here and there, and goes through some of the cities on the Way. It was cool to see where I'd walked, and to also spot other pilgrims on the Way - indeed, it was nice to see the Spanish and French countryside close up.

3) It was a good time to decompress from the Way. Since I didn't have to worry about changing trains, and my pack was safely locked in the bus' luggage compartment, I could focus on reflection, reading, and sleep. Plus, I met some other pilgrims on the bus (two guys from Italy, and two young Kiwi sisters), and had a nice time chatting with them.

All of these things made the bus worth the extra time and Euros to me. Of course, the bus wasn't perfect - sitting 24 hours on any mode of transport is kind of tough (although we did have break stops at bars, and a longer dinner stop at a big terminal with a huge buffet and a bunch of stuff on sale). And as you say, it costs more than the plane and takes more time. But it was an experience I hadn't had before - which was a major reason why I did it. So now I can be the one who tells others about it so they don't have to guess if it might work for them or not... :) :arrow:

Happy New Year class of 2008, thanks for all the in put and suggestions so many have given to us new Caminos. So let us continue in our good intentions of doing this journey. Dont worry I plan on bugging everyone for more info and ways to fulfill this dream. Again have a great New Year and much prosperity in all aspects, hope to meet some of you on my journey.

Pax Vobis.
niel :D

Niel...and All the Class of 2008!

This is Our Year and, though many of you have already made one or more Camino's, if you're on the path of the Milky Way this year we may have the opportunity to meet, share a vinotinto, complain about the cold, heat, rain, bright sunshine and eat some fantastic food (if I can just get my Spanish beyond: jamĂłn y queso bocadillo).

For many of us, this will be the first time we trudge up the Pyrenees from SJPP, look back into France and take in a view little changed since the first pilgrim arrived at this spot. It will also be the first time,we will be able to touch, hear and see some of the fabric and excitement of the Camino that heretofore has been but pictures in a book or fond memories of those who share this forum.

Our arrival in Santiago, will be more than just receiving the Compostella, it will be a personal best in our lives that will remain with us forever. So, may your Camino be filled to over flowing with all that you desire it to be!

Buen Camino,

Arn

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Greetings everyone, I joined this forum in late December and presently await for my credentials from the Company of Canadian Pilgrims. Yes I do have my reservations and doubts in whether I will complete this journey? But I have thrown caution to the wind and will do it whatever happens happens. I do not want to hurry the journey and therefore, will give myself plenty of time to look and enjoy the countryside. Until my credentials arrive I continue to do my walks to get in shape. Then when the the fore-said credentials arrive I will start with the essentials that are needed.
So wish me luck and best wishes to all doing the journey, may this walk be a time to grow in whatever manner one needs to grow. Be safe, walk with pride with a sense of being a part of community that looks out for those on the journey. Let us remember to be a source of courge and strength to others when our spirit is low.

peace
niel

Hi everyone to date I still have not been able to locate the book called Brieley's guide, can someone direct me to where I can purchase it.
Thanks.
niel

Hi Niel,
You can order it from his website:

http://www.caminoguides.com

Or from the Confraternity of St James: http://www.csj.org.uk

If you use it and find errors, new albergues, some refuges closed down, changes to the route, please let him know. He always appreciates updates for new editions.

(In the edition I bought he made a mistake on page 60, Stage two from Roncesvalles to Larrsoana, where he printed it as Roncesvalles to Zubiri.)

If that is the case that there are errors I think I will save myself the 17. so and spend it on a good bottle of wine to share with fellow Caminos. Thanks for the info I will rely on what fellow Caminos have experinced on their journey.

Thanks
niel

Hi Niel,
I'm sorry if I've given you the wrong impression of John's guide. In my opinion, it is the best guide book available with daily stage maps, overviews of each day's stage (percentage of dirt paths, roads etc), notes on the mystical path and personal reflections as well as information - with pictures - of the pilgrim albergues, and alternative accommodation.
Gremlins affect all publications and things change constantly. A book is outdated by the time it comes off the press! The CSJ Guide has a few very odd mileages between stages that don't add up - they claim that the mileages given are only approximate. The Reds Albergues brochure has the same anomalies with mileages between stages that don't always add up correctly.
These 'errors' and changes won't change your camino experience. You won't get lost. You might just have to walk and extra km or two (or less) than the guide book says.
And, you can help to improve the guide for other pilgrims by letting John know if there are detours, changes in directions in and out of towns, albergues closed or new ones opened.
Buy the book - it is a bargain and a good investment at 17 pounds. (The Amazon link on this website has it listed for 46 pounds!)
Sea feliz,

Neil,
I agree with SIl... buy the book. A good guidebook is an invaluable asset on the Camino. When you're walking through the towns and villages you want to know what you're looking for and at... not to mention the information on landmarks, turns, distances, alternate route choices, albergues, restaurants, etc. I had Millán Bravo Lozano's Guía Práctica del peregrino and found it invaluable!

You'll have plenty of Euros left over for a bottle of wine (or even a couple!)... in the more remote villages, the most expensive bottle of GOOD (and I mean, really good!) wine to be found was around 3 Euro...so it kills me when I pay USD 17 for a bottle at my local shoppe!
Buen Camino,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Niel, I have used Brierley's guide on both my treks along the Camino. The only "errors" that I encountered were those involving the path of the Camino. Specifically, the camino between Villafranca Montes de Oca & San Juan de Ortega==once over the main climb, it's fairly straight & there is no descent to a fountain past Fuente Mojapan. Then from Atapuerca to Burgos, Brierley mentioned a huge sign detailing the 3 different ways we could take to get to Burgos. Hmm, not so much. It appears that recently, they decided to have pilgrims walk on only one of the paths & so the sign & markings for the others were gone. That's not Brierley's fault. And as Sil noted, sometimes albergues close & new ones open up. The money spent on this guide book will be money well-spent.

Kelly

WolverineDG said:
Then from Atapuerca to Burgos, Brierley mentioned a huge sign detailing the 3 different ways we could take to get to Burgos.

Yeah, I also used his guide in the summer of 2007, and getting into Burgos was quite the adventure...ow.

WolverineDG said:
The money spent on this guide book will be money well-spent.

I second that - a great guidebook, especially since it's a Camino souvenier in itself due to the great photos - and you can use his lined Reflections pages for additional stamps you don't want to put in your credencial... :arrow:

All:

I've noticed that a couple of folks here are planning to walk in April of 2008. This book may be helpful for your preparations:

Santiago de Compostela - Journal of Our Camino by Roger and Nancy Rhoades.

They are an older American couple who began their Camino in Roncesvalles on April 15, 2004 (one of the Holy Years, by the way). I haven't finished the book yet, but so far it's not bad, if a bit unpolished. Although they didn't walk the entire route (they took a bus from Leon to Villafranco, and from Santiago to Finisterra), you might find their accounts of the weather during that period, along with their equipment issues, to be informative.

Also, while Nancy is a marathon runner, Roger's right leg is crippled due to a bout of childhood polio - so anyone with similar problems might take heart from his example (and couples planning to walk together might also learn something from their struggles). Buen Camino! :arrow:

Okay guys about the guide, I have purchased the CSJ guide, what I am asking is if the Brierley's guide is necessary. I have been told there are a number of errors in it.
Thanks everyone.
niel

Hi Niel.

We carried both the CSJ and the Brierly guide on our camino, and were quite happy with our decision as the information in each was complementary.

The Brierely guide is the best all-around english language guide that I have come across, and when you are making your way to Santiago you will notice that most English speaking peregrinos use it. I see that you live in the Niagara area, so you could pick up a copy at your local Chapters or Indigo, or you can buy a copy from Amazon.com if you have a friend across the border that will agree to let you have it sent there. I buy a lot of used books at excellent prices from Amazon.com, and have them sent to my cousin in Boston, and I pick them up when I visit him. As you probably know, there is no tax on books in the US, as there is here in Canada.

You will find it worthwhile to join the Canadian Company of pilgrims, and you are fortunate to live in southern Ontario where there are several chapters including the "main" chapter (as the president calls it) in Toronto. http://www.santiago.ca/
You can purchase your credential from the Company, and attend meetings to meet lots of fellow-pilgrims including wannabes, novices and veterans. They all have interesting stories to tell!

If I were you, I would also try to look up Robert Ward who lives in Toronto and has written the excellent All The Good Pilgrims.

Amazon link to Brierly's A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago:
http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrims-Guide-Ca ... 100&sr=1-1

Amazon link to Brierly's Camino de Santiago Maps / Mapas / Cartes: St. Jean Pied de Port/Roncesvalles - Finisterre via Santiago de Compostela
http://www.amazon.com/Camino-Santiago-M ... 429&sr=1-2

Brierly is no fool, but this book of maps will be released on April 1, 2008.

Buen Camino y Vaya con Dios

nathanael said:
Okay guys about the guide, I have purchased the CSJ guide, what I am asking is if the Brierley's guide is necessary.

I had both the Brierley and CSJ guides at the beginning of my Camino. I gave away my CSJ guide in Roncesvalles because I didn't like its text-heavy approach. I was very happy with Brierley's guide for the rest of the Way to Santiago. I'm a visual person, so I liked his excellent maps, the color pictures, and even his spiritual musings. His recommendations on getting in/out of Spain were useful, and the Spanish/English phrases helped me communicate with the locals.

In addition, his book helped me plan my day's hike (distance and terrain info, combined with albergue locations/descriptions, were great for that purpose), which was critical in my early days due to my too-heavy pack and hurting body. Also, the historical info expanded my appreciation and understanding of the Way. And I even used his lined Reflections pages for extra stamps that I didn't want to put in my credencial.

You can check Brierley's website here to get a better idea of his work:

http://www.caminoguides.com/

Of course, a guide like his will be out of date right off the press - some albergues he mentioned were closed, new ones weren't in the book, and so on. But I never felt that he steered me wrong, and without his guide I think my Camino would've been much harder - if not impossible.

However, according to what I've heard, the CSJ guide is certainly adequate. And if necessary, you can always supplement it with other resources along the Camino... :arrow:

OK Arn, here are two more sitting on the "fringe" ready to start the Camino in June of 2008! My daughter's college graduation present was to do the Camino- expenses being paid by her parents. I was so excited about her stories of the Camino (2 of her friends did it) that I said I'd like to go with her. She did't object so we planned to do it last year, but my other daughter had a baby in June so we postponed the trip until this year. Emily and I have our plane reservations and leave El Paso on June 10th. We hope to start from SJPP on June 13th.

Does anyone have experience with trying to change reservations with Ryanair? I booked tickets online and would like to try and move our flight back a day as the time between our flights in London doesn't appear to be enough. I'll check the Ryanair website, but if anyone has had experience with this please let me know. Thanks. Marnie

Hi Marnie,

Walking the Camino and setting travel dates are a two edged sword, on one hand you don't want to be nailed down to a time line to walk and, on the other...you want to plan ahead to get the best fare.

Whalleyranger wrote:All Ryanair fares are changeable - they charge an admin fee plus the difference in fare between what you originally paid and the going rate on the day you want to change it to, so it's not such a problem to change.

Double check with your travel dates, even if you could change dates...are the dates available?

Buen Camino,
Arn

Hey everyone good day, I have tried to get a Pilgrims Guide to the Camino Frances by John Brierley, but having difficulty. Chapters does not have this one in stock nor on their computor. It seems Amazon is the only one with it at 27.95, it says updated edition. What do you think should I purchase it.

Thanks
niel

Niel,
Many people have recommended it as 'the' guidebook to have. I ordered it from my local bookshop and especially like the maps. I guess it is up to you whether you want to carry a guidebook or not.
In three months time I will be in Singapore, en route to Europe. Suddenly my journey does not seem so very far away!
Margaret

Niel,

I ordered mine directly from:

sales@findhornpress.com

Mieke is the sales rep and we've had several discussions, the last was that they would ship me my copy when the updated version comes out in Jan. May I suggest you contact them directly.

Margaret,

I look forward to meeting you on the Camino as we start at relatively the same time.

Buen Camino,
Arn

[quote="Arn"
Margaret,
I look forward to meeting you on the Camino as we start at relatively the same time.
Buen Camino ,Arn[/quote]

Arn,
But despite having bought the Brierley book, I am not sure how much of Spain I will actually walk! I am starting in Le Puy in France and will take it as it comes from there. You will be in Santiago probably before I reach Ronscevalles!
Margaret

Margaret,

I may be a Marine, but I'm an OOOOOOOOlllllllllllllldddddddddddddddd!!!!!! Marine.

I'm taking my time, watching the wine and meeting those that I can.

Again, I Hope to meet you and as many of the Class of 2008 as possible.

Buen Camino Margaret!

Arn

Hi Everybody
I will be flying from Dublin on the 29 April, and starting my camino from SJPD on the 30 April. I have been planning this for some time, and now we are in the new year the planning is turning into reality, cant wait to start. Look forward to meeting any fellow pilgrims.

Tony

Tony, hi there maybe we will meet unfortunately I leave Canada on April 29 and will be in Madrid the 30th. and will not be able to leave till May 2nd due to holiday May 1st. I also enjoy Madrid and therefore will be there till May 2nd.I am also starting at Roncevalles so we might just bump into one another.
Good travelling and enjoy the journey.

Arn, greetings about the guide book you suggested, well I did email the sales@findhornpress.com four days ago and still no answer. Should I wait further or email again, does it it usualy take that long for an answer?
Thanks
niel

Arn, receive a reply from the book company you recommended they are out and no answer when they will be getting more so I contacted the Confraternity of St. James in UK. If any other suggestion let me know.
Thanks.
niel

Kelly, hi there and thanks for the offer time will tell and at this point I will not worry. I glanced at your blog and although I was a bit disapointed with the conditions of the albergues I will try not to let it disapoint my journey. I made a judgement call and dropped one of my University course due to taking too much time for me to train in the walking. Therefore I will do this and I am sure that I will overcome the little hardships of life.
Again thanks you are good people on the forum.

Hi Arn and the rest of the Class of 2008,

I've posted a couple of times before and have gotten some great information from this forum! I'm leaving on March 25 and plan to begin walking from Roncesvalles on the 27th or 28th. I think I've given myself a good amount of time to complete my journey; I'll be returning home on May 6th. I'm getting so excited as it now is starting to feel very real. Hopefully I'll meet up with some of you along the way!
Buen camino a todos!
Arlene

Hello Arn
I will also be experiencing my first Camino (solo) starting at SJPP at the end of May 2008. I have anticipated this journey for 2 years now and I am very excited. I have given myself 45 days to enjoy Spain.
Cassidy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Arlene and Cassidy,

Welcome to the Class! Gosh, we're continue to grow by leaps and bounds and, the energy is pulsing. It looks as though many folks will be starting their Camino rather early this year from SJPP. So we should have a good strong showing throughout the year.

I've considered walking the Milky Way for at least 12 years, since I last completed the Appalachian Trail here in the US. The Camino will mean so much more to me and I look forward to meeting many of you and, for those who may not meet in person, at least continue to share their impressions, epiphany's and adventures here on the forum.

Again, welcome and Buen Camino!

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.