• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2008!

Deirdre, hi there I thought I would let you know that I was able to contact someone at the Barrabes in Madrid and they are willing to hold onto an Atmospheric Rain cape for me. It seems that May 1 and 2 are holidays so nothing doing till May 3. I know my way around Madrid especially around the Puerta del Sol so will pick up the rain cape when I get there. Madrid is my kind of town just love the place hope to spend time before the Camino and after possibly ten days or so.
Take care.
niel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Paul...welcome to the Class of 2008!

You are so right..there's a bunch of folks on this forum starting their Camino in April and we can't wait to get started. If you haven't done so yet...log into the Calendar and post your estimated start finish dates and see who will be close to you.

Buen Camino,

Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
JW wrote:We need to organise a party in Santiago!

Did someone say...PARTY! Will I believe Johnnie Walker did and I second the motion.

A casual glance at the calendar will reveal that a number of folks are not only starting Their Camino within days of each other...BUT, will be arriving in SDC nearly simultaneously. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...PARTY is a distinct possibility!

What do the rest of my fellow peregrino(a)s think. Is this doable!

Let's hear from you...Hilda, KiwiNomad, Erik, Molle, Megan, Tomas, Mermaidlille...come ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN folks!

Buen PARTY Camino in SDC.

I'm sure Ivar has some connections....

Arn

I may be arriving later than most of you, since I am starting May 8th more or less and walking from Sevilla on the VdlP. But I was thinking that maybe Ivar may have a place where our members, upon arriving in Santiago can find other members? Even something like a bulletin board on a wall somewhere where we can leave messages, notes? Just an idea. Ivar, any news on your pension?
Happily,
Lillian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a board in the pilgrim's office where you collect your Compostela for pilgrims to pin notices etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This was a report in elcorreogallego a few months ago.

The work in the four hundred year-old “casa del Dean”, that houses the pilgrims’ office will commence next May. The plan is to establish a waiting area, with seats, for pilgrims waiting for their certificate or Compostela, as well as a multi-service information facility for pilgrims seeking a place to stay, transportation information, etc. and place to park bicycles. The amount of 600,000 Euros (about 950,000 U.S. Dlls.) has been set aside for the work, and many Santiago associations and enterprises have pledged volunteered labour and materials.

So, from next year, there will be a place for pilgrims to meet.

ivar said:
there is a board for pinning messages to other pilgrims at the pilgrims office.

Yes, but it's a busy mess - lots of odd-sized papers mashed, taped, pinned, etc. into a small area. So perhaps posters should mark the message paper with the site logo to make it easier to spot, or something along those lines... :arrow:

And, if you can't afford the accommodation (or can't bear to be in a hotel) you can always join the other camino 'hippies' and sleep in the caves lower down on the beach. My friend, John (74 yr-old itinerant pilgrim) slept in the caves with pilgrims of all ages on all three of his treks to Finisterre.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all,

Arn said:
A casual glance at the calendar will reveal that a number of folks are not only starting Their Camino within days of each other...BUT, will be arriving in SDC nearly simultaneously. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...PARTY is a distinct possibility!

Let's hear from you...Hilda, KiwiNomad, Erik, Molle, Megan, Tomas, Mermaidlille...come ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN folks!

Yes, a party definitely sounds doable.
I'm on for a party in Santiago de Compostela!

Hilda

Arn said:
JW wrote:We need to organise a party in Santiago!

Arn

I'd be up for a party at the end... most definitely :p

And I've been thinking of asking folks if they wouldn't mind me photographing the soles of their feet either on the way or upon arrival to SDC. I do both pinhole and traditional black & white photography. The photos would be anonymous and I would send a free copy to everyone that I photograph (a small memento and "portrait" of our soles kissing the earth for 800km). I can talk more about my deeper intent when I meet you on the way - just thought I'd give you a "heads-up" now... in case this seems interesting (or weird) to you, you can look-out :) (or watch-out! :shock: )for me. What do you think? A party and a photo shoot?

with kindest,
Melinda

Hi Sil, read your blog very interesting and informative, especially the Camino Devil. Yes he is real and the suggestions that he places in our minds tend to fog your mind to do this Camino because you say to yourself its true its to long and I can't do it. The excuses are many and although they might be true to say my knees are week I have bad feet I will not succeed. So throw caught to the wind and take a chance try and see who know you might surprise even ourselves. Thanks for the encouragement.

niel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The party train is beginning to pick up steam.

On foot fotos...I think a matched pair of "Before and After" would be a keeper!

Let's keep the idea moving along.

Buen Camino

Arn

Hi Arn

My son, Thomas, and I started our Camino in 2006 not really knowing what it was all about. We now know that it is one of the best journey's that you can make. Due to work and school comitments we are doing it a bit at a time. So far we have done Logrono to Burgos and Leon to Ponferrada. This year June/July we are doing Saint Jean Pied de Port to Logrono.

My intention is to complete the Camino by August 2010.

So far I have made a number of friends on my Camino.

Brian

Brian and Thomas...welcome to the Class of 2008!

There's nothing better than sharing a family "growth" experience and, the Camino ranks right up there!

I asked my Son Christopher to come along, but he'll still be in Afghanistan until October...so not this time. But the Spirit still moves him. He's preparing a 10-day hike into the Himalayas as soon as his contract is up.

Buen " this is my Son Thomas" Camino,
Arn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Class of 2008!

I’m Freddie from Sweden and I’ll walk the Camino del Norte this summer. I’ll start the 1st of June from Bilbao and hope to make it to Santiago in 27 days. It will be my third Camino. My first Camino was in -05 when I walked from SJPP to Finesterre. It was the greatest experience of my life but I had big problems at first. I made every possible mistake in the beginning (walked too fast, not enough rest stops, didn’t drink enough water, backpack was too heavy etc etc) and ended up at Pamplona hospital after 3 days with terribly sore feet’s. But I managed to continue after a few days of rest and after Burgos I had no problems whatsoever. I walked my second Camino in 3 stages (SJPP-Burgos, Burgos-Leon and Leon-Santiago) during 2006-07. My second Camino was even better than the first. Being a bit more experience the second time around helped me to enjoy it more.
I’ve read everything on this website about Camino del Norte and I wish to thank everyone that have posted information about that route. Your information has been invaluable for me when planning my next Camino.
It seems like most people in the Class of 2008 will walk the Camino Frances this year. But if there’s anyone out there who will walk the northern route in June, please let me know.

Best wishes
Freddie

Re: Anyone to share taxi from Biarritz to SJPP on 1 May 08?

Greetings

Is there anyone else who will be arriving in Biarritz on the afternoon of Thursday 1 May 2008 and seeking transport to SJPP?

That day is a public holiday in France (and Spain) and the afternoon train services from Bayonne to SJPP seem (on my unskilled research) to be reduced to the two leaving on 15.06 and 21.06. My flight from London is due into Biarritz at 15.05 and so I'll have to take the late train from Bayonne to SJPP unless someone in a similar position to me wishes to share a taxi to SJPP.

Is anyone interested in sharing a taxi and getting into SJPP at a more convenient hour? :?: :?: :?:

Paul

Hi Everyone, my name is Jose, I am 42 years old and I am English (despite the name no Spanish language - darn). I have decided to stop "lurking in the fringes" and apply for membership of the Class of 2008. I am in fact beginning next week. I will leave SJPP and plan to walk for 8 days. Unfortunately I need to return home for family reasons after this time but will recommence from where I end up - possibly Najera - on April 6th; only for the final leg to be on bike. :D

Welcome Jose....to the Class.

Yes, so soon the real excitement begins as you make your trek along the Milky Way. Enjoy the entire experience and...

Buen Camino,

Arn

Thank-you Arn, for the nudge to post in this thread as well. I can't find the words to express how wonderful this forum is. Such a community. If I meet pilgrims like you on the road then I shall truly feel blessed.

Fiona

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A friend and I are leaving Dublin on July 6th, having got our books and first stamp at St. James'Gate.We are flying to Biaritz and then travelling to Pamplona where we will commence the 30 day hike. We have not booked accomodation yet. :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kerstin and Rosaleen,

Welcome to the Class of 2008!

You're now among the many who have chosen the Way for different reasons and expect different experiences. Some are religious in nature, some self seeking and some chose the Way just because it's there. What ever your reason...the Camino will have a life changing impact among us all.

Again, welcome and Buen Camino,
Arn

Hi everyone!

I will walk the Camino Francees later this year with my wife.
We will start on the 19th of August from Saint Jean Pied de Port. If you spot me on the trail- please say hallo (I will surely have a polish flag badge on my backpack). See you there.

Buen Camino!
Kuba.

Kuba and Wife...welcome to the Class of 2008!

I'm sure you'll continue to follow your fellow peregrinos who are currently on Their Camino or will begin before you. Keep up the conversation and the enthusiasm. Follow their experiences at the albergues and many interesting happenings as they walk the Milky Way.

Again, Welcome and...

Buen Camino

Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome Kuba - last year 897 pilgrims from Poland received the compostela. Perhaps this year it will exceed the 1000 mark!
Have a great walk.

Hi

I'm making plans and looking forward to doing a portion of the Camino Del Norte this Fall. I live in the Canadian Rockies so plan to do regular hiking as preparation for the Camino.

I'm very much looking forward to this.

John in BC Canada

Welcome John B...to the Class of 2008!

As you can see from the thread...there are many peregrinos making their Camino along side of you...if not in person, then in spirit!

Don't hurt yourself practicing and have a super Camino,

Buen Camino
Arn

Dear fellow peregrinos of the Way!

As often happens in life I've made some changes in My Camino...for the better I may add!

I've canceled my pre Camino week of wenching and drinking in Malaga, for an early start in SJPDP.

I need to be on my Camino among my new found friends...not wasting time in a resort, surrounded by the rich and the famous, but rather among you...my friends and fellow peregrinos.

The truest meaning of Easter has blunted my heretofore "walk on the wild side" attitude with a sincere desire to make My Camino a life changing and clean start event...that will stand me in good stead for the remainder of my time on this planet.

I've made many new friends as I've walked the pages of this forum and hope to make many more new friends as I walk the Milky Way.

God Bless you all!
Arn

What! Arn you have seen a light! Just kidding best wishes on your Camino, I booked my flight and I leave Toronto on the 1st of May will spend a few days in Madrid and then leave on May 5th in the afternoon for Pamplona. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. See you all on the road.

niel

Niel,

Great to hear from you! I've always known the Way...just realized I didn't need the vacation prior to my Camino, but wanted to have as many days as possible to see and visit some of the off the road religious sites many pass by.

You and I have grown in many directions since joining this forum and I look forward to meeting you some day.

May God Bless and Keep you safe and in His arms as you walk the Milky Way!

Arn

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Arn,
I look forward to your posts after your Camino! I am wondering:- if I spent a month really on pilgrimage if I will then have difficulty returning to 'the world' ? I suppose the only way to find out is to try it . . . . .
Have a blessed time

Tio Tel

Tio Tel wrote:I will then have difficulty returning to 'the world'

Where you are IS the world! How you interact, why and with whom makes your life what it is. God made is pretty simple...follow the 10 Commandments and the whole world would be yours.

Thirty days on the Camino will test your body, your resolve and your view of both yourself and others. Truly, thirty days is not all that long a time and you'd be with folks with a similar understanding of what they're up to and why they're doing it.

Take the first step...then the next...and where you end up is exactly where you're suppose to be.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Leaving next Friday (April 4) from the US for a 12 day abbreviated version of walking the camino starting in Ponferrada. I'm really excited!! In some respects, with all the preparation, it feels as if my pilgrimage has already begun. It feels so right! The next few days I'm outfitting myself for all the rain I see that may be joining me! Any suggestions most certainly welcomed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Tio Tel -
A pilgrim once wrote a diary in the form of letters to her 'self' telling her 'self' at home what she was experiencing along the way and how, daily, she was changing. "Will I know you when I return?" she asked in her journal. "Will we still be friends?"
You might return a different person after your pilgrimage and feel like the holy monk San Virila.

At the time, I was tormented by the dilemma of Eternity and I was continuously plagued by doubts. I prayed to Our Lord God for him to reveal this mystery and light up the truth in my heart. One spring evening, as I often used to do, I went for a walk among the leafy trees of the Leyre mountain range.
Tired, I sat down next to a fountain and stayed there bewitched and hypnotised by the beautiful song of a nightingale. After what I thought were a few hours, I returned to the monastery, my home. After passing through the front door, none of the monks there were familiar to me. I walked through the different rooms, surprised at what I saw and realising that something strange was happening.
When I became aware that nobody recognised me I went to see the Prior, who listened to my story with astonished attention. We walked towards the library to try and decipher the enigma. Looking through old documents we discovered that around three hundred years ago, a holy monk called San Virila had ruled the monastery and had been eaten by wild animals on one of his spring walks in the woods.With tears in my eyes, I understood that I was that monk and that God had finally listened to my prayers.

Perhaps your 30 days will feel like the 300 years of San Virila!

Greetings everyone seems the class of 2008 has dwindle down nevertheless still need to ask for advice so here goes. Went out to M.E.C. in Toronto yesterday to buy some clothing and the pack-sack. They put the 10 kil. in it and to my amazement I found it very difficult to carry. I cannot believe that I would be carry that much of a heavy load. As I walked around the store I joked with the person who was helping me to not worry that I would not run away with the pack. You seasoned walkers some advice I can't believe that I would be carrying that much of a load. A few clothes and a digital camera just couldn't be that heavy. I plan on just having the basics two sets of everything that is underwear, T shirts a three pairs of socks, a pair of walking shorts, one long light pants and possibly two long sleeve shirts and a pair of crocs. The heaviest object would be the small digital camera.
So please clue me in, thanks I trust you all had a grace filled Easter. I spent three days in Up-State New York at a Cistercian monastery with about sixteen people we had a wonderful experience we chatted more than we were suppose to but nevertheless it was important to be charitable and listen to those who need the contact. Made a few more friends and attended many prayer services Oh and great food simple but nourishing was the best Easter for me. The meals were in silence but our minds were occupied by looking out at the flocks of deer that were abundant and the many birds.
Some thoughts on about my Easter weekend.

niel

Hi Niel
I remember that feeling! One thing to bear in mind is that in a hiking shop the weights they put in the pack are often sandbag type things. This means when they load 10k worth the weight is all loaded at the bottom and hence pulls down more heavily. When your pack is loaded with your actual kit the weight is more evenly distributed over your back and doesn't feel so heavy.
Having a well fitting pack is the main thing but also I find it helps to continuously adjust the straps as I walk - as soon as I get a slight ache I loosen a shoulder strap say, and let my hips take more weight for a while until it is comfortable to adjust it back. It might sound like a bit of a fuss but you soon learn to do it automatically.
I have several pairs of walking trousers etc that I use at home but before going on the camino I weigh them all and only take the lightest ones. I few grams on each item do add up to make a noticeable difference. Over the years I have invested quite a lot of money in buying lighter versions of everything I use. Cotton is heavy. Consider man-made fabric t-shirts and underwear which weigh less and dry more quickly when a quick turnaround of clothes is required. Do you need shirts AND t-shirts? What about a thin fleece for warmth?
Some people go as far as to cut labels out of their clothes and choose not to shave or wash with soap! I heard one person saying he didnt carry deoderant on the grounds he showered on arrival at the albergue - why was this not news to any of his walking companions I wonder?!!
I find the most unaccounted for weight is in toiletries, clothes travel wash, medicines etc. I decant everything into the smallest possible containers but it it still always seems too much!
I have no idea how some people get by with as small a pack as they do - especially as those same people always seem to have as many clothes etc as everyone else. Maybe just as the grass is always greener, other peoples packs always seem smaller!
In addition to your list I also take 2 walking poles, a travel towel, a bungee washing line,a diary, a lightweight fleece, a sunhat, and waterproofs and my pack weighs in at about 9kilos at the airport checkin. This summer I am exchanging my waterproof backpack cover, waterproof jacket and trousers for an all in one poncho.
You really should try to do a few days long distance walking with a loaded pack before you go. Getting the perfect fit via all the combinations of strap positions is a bit of trial and error and it is better to get these teething problems sorted out in advance. If you have a 'hot spot' where your pack is rubbing a little it helps to apply a little vaseline to your skin as this immediately reduces the rubbing and stops it becoming raw.
Good Luck. You will get there and your pack will soon be your friend and not your enemy!
Kind Regards, Laura
ps there is lots more advice on this subject is you do a search on this forum

Hi Niel

Every one will pile in with their own views on this I am sure as it is a subject close to every pilgrim's heart. Imho 2 main things need to be considered - first the "fit" of your backpack - the shoulder straps should be used for guidance so that the weight in the pack sits on your hips - hence the need for a good fitting waist strap. Fiddle around with different settings or get some to help make adjustments until you feel most comfortable. Better still go for a LONG walk with your pack filled.

Second of course is weight weight weight :) Many walkers would be very happy to walk with 10k and I have done so myself. Others like Sil are models of light weight walking at 6k. Indeed for a summer Camino Grant Spangler walks with 4k I understand. I try never to take more than 7k even in winter. BUT it is a very individual thing and every one quickly finds their own level - blisters and sore limbs are rapid teachers! That's why some preparation is really good if painful times are to be avoided.

Happy Easter to you too.

John

Reading about weights and packs, I have to tell you about what´s been lying out along the Camino between San Nicolas de Real Camino and Sahagun for a week or so... a really groovy pair of white patent-leather ankle-high gogo boots. Some pilgrim just couldn´t bear them any more!

Someday I will list the weird things I´ve seen left behind by pilgs. It is a strange mix indeed, a constant refrain of "What were they thinking?"

Reb

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like Brendan in Rabanal, I´m another ´static´ member of the Class, but I hope some of you will stop by for a cuppa tea or a G&T or lunch or an overnighter when you´re passing through the Meseta!

We are not a Camino Institution like Rabanal (yet), but we are friendly most of the time, and we speak English pretty well, and we are grizzled camino veterans.

Rebekah de Moratinos

Your 10kgs will grow once you have to carry a couple of bottles of water and perhaps food for the evening.
At camino workshops I tell wanna-be pilgrims that I am going to give them the solution to travelling light. I then show them my digital kitchen scale. They usually laugh or look incredulous, but if you weigh each item that goes into your backpack you can discard one shirt for another, one pair of socks for a lighter pair, cut the handle off your toothbrush (not kidding) cut your bar of soap in half, take your medication out of the boxes and put them into money zip lock bags.
If your T-shirts are too long shorten them. Every ounce counts.
If your backpack weighs more than a kg it is too heavy. Perhaps your sleeping bag is too heavy? You can carry your documents, money, passport, camera etc in a bum-bag instead of in your backpack.
Check everything again and weigh it all. Youmight be able to shed a few hundred grams that way.

To ALL,

Over the past several months we've all exchanged (many times over) info on the "what and the how" to carry in our pack. On this single page of our thread is the distillation of what one can do to walk smart not heavy. Sil's scale is a great idea and the effort well worth it all. I personally don't use a scale, I use a 22 ounce beer can. If I can't stuff the item into the mouth of the can...I don't take it!

Then again, getting the white gogo boots in may take some effort, but I'm willing to try. Who knows, I might get a reward for returning them :mrgreen:

Buen Camino,
Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I first read it I had this vision of a granny in patented boots! The Zulu word for grandmother is gogo. (Johnny - I'm sure they are Go-Go dancer boots)

Attachments

• granny.gif
    granny.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Dancing girl.gif
    Dancing girl.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,000
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi , my name is John but being a common name on Fora, I tend to use pseudonyms. On this Forum I am Ethanday. I decided to walk the Camino several months ago and since then have been reading as many accounts as possible by those who have written about their Camino experiences. I have also taken advice from veterans regarding what articles to take with me, and which to leave out. I will be arriving in SJPP on the afternoon of 28th April, ready to begin the following morning. My preparations, as far as gathering kit for the walk is almost complete.
I have been walking as often as I can with a pack on my back. As the next few weeks progress i will endeavour to walk steeper paths so that the path out of SJPP will not be too much of a surprise for my ageing knees.
I am looking forward to meeting lots of people on the road to Santiago and to see Northern Spain for the first time.

Ethanday...welcome to the Class of 2008!

You are off to the right track with your research, planning and soon to be walking the Milky Way. As you've already found out there are many fellow peregrinos who plan to depart from SJPDP. If you haven't already done so, take a look at the calendar at the bottom of this page to see who will be leaving on or about the same date.

It's possible we will meet somewhere as we both move along the Way.

I have this bad habit of seeking out fine wines and such, or dining on local specialities which may slow me down a bit.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Well this is my first post on the forum, and it's time to tell everyone mine and my partners plans and preparations.

We are setting off from Melbourne, Australia on May 13 and will have a few days with family in the UK before leaving for Biarritz on my birthday, May 18th, to arrive in SJPP that night and begin walking the next day. We have about six weeks to do the Camino, and plan to take it slowly as our bodies get used to walking and walking and walking. We will stay our first night at Refuge Orisson, we have made a reservation.

We began planning this walk last year, we read the book by Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles "The year we seized the day" which is a very honest account of their Camino, and started hatching a plan. We were also caring for my Mum who was terminally ill and we knew that to have something planned for 2008, after she died (which she did in December) would be important, and a Camino seemed like a good idea. We both liked the idea of the Camino because of the physical challenge, but also because it forces you to simplify your life and get back to basics. Walking and camping has always appealed to me for this reason.

We have been getting fitter, walking, pilates, bike riding, other strengthening work, and have done long distances walks many times before. In preparation for the Camino over easter we walked the "Great Ocean Walk" which is 90km along the coast of Victoria. The daily distances probably weren't comparable to the Camino, but our packs were heavier than we plan for the Camino. Currently our gear list has us carrying about 7kg on our backs. My biggest problem on this walk was my new boots which let me down terribly and consequently I've decided to stick with my old faithful hiking boots, but also take a lighter option for days when the walking is flatter. Our plan for the next six weeks before we go is much more walking, up to 70km a week or more.

We are so excited, but being careful because the Camino might have other plans for us. Anyway things are on track and we hope to meet many other pilgrims on the way, including those posting on the "Class of 2008"!

Jane & Guy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
jane99 said:
Well this is my first post on the forum... We are setting off from Melbourne, Australia on May 13 ... leaving for Biarritz on my birthday, May 18th, to arrive in SJPP that night and begin walking the next day.

Hi Jane and welcome to the forum; also my condolences on your loss. Walking the Camino sounds like a very good plan for this time in your life and you will find it a rich and rewarding time, I am sure. I have just finished reading a book by an Australian pilgrim, Mary E Wilkie "Walking to Santiago" (published by Cranleigh House, Armidale, Aus. 2001). It is very useful to me because she walked all the way from Paris and she gives a lot of detail about the practical difficulties of accommodation in France; then talks about her experience of the Camino Frances. It's a very down-to-earth book, simply written.

You set off from France on the 18th May, shortly after I start walking out of London on May 12th and I will be walking from Dieppe right through France. I'll be many miles behind you all the way through your walk, so follow my blog when you can and keep in touch. Have you put your dates on the Camino calendar here yet? Do that: it's a good way so to see who is doing what and when.

Good planning!

Gareth
http://whizz-kidz-pilgrim.blogspot.com

Hello Jane,

Yes, welcome to the forum. I'm just getting ready for my first Camino too; arriving Biarritz on April 18th, so will be ahead of you. We have the same birthday (May 18) - on that day, somewhere along the Camino, I will be singing out loud "Happy Birthday to Jane."

Have a wonderful journey and Buen Camino

Melinda

Hello Jane & Guy,
You have chosen a beautiful time to walk the camino - everything will be green, the wildflowers will be spectacular and if you listen carefully, you will hear the clapping of the beaks of baby storks in their huge nests on top of every tower and steeple along the way. These birds are monogamous breeders and return their nests, some hundreds of years old, every year in Spring.
There is a tradition on the camino to carry a small pebble from home, rubbing all your cares and sorrows into it as you walk. You then leave this stone on the huge mound at the base of the Cruz de Ferro (about 28kms from Astorga in the Irago Mountains). In 2002 I carried a stone for a friend who had passed away and last year I carried a stone for my sister who is very frail and ill.
If you would like to try a few of the more basic, spiritual pilgrim refuges, this is my top 10 list. Most are small (8 - 10 people), are run by devoted volunteers, are donativo, offer a communal meal and pilgrim blessing (things rarely offered in the large, modern, more comfortable hostals.)
*Pamplona - Paderbon albergue run by the German confraternity - sing along meal and bible reading
*Eunate – small albergue, meal by candlelight – walk around the church in the moonlight
*Granon – sleep on mattresses in the bell tower of a church – sing for your supper
*Tosantos – Old building, sleep on mattresses - pilgrim blessing in the attic chapel – pray for pilgrims who have left a prayer request
*Arroyo San Bol - New Age, basic albergue – no running water, 1000yr old medicinal spring in the adjacent field, no electricity, no toilet – fantastic dinner cooked by young Italian Rastafarian and maybe a queimada.
*Convento San Anton – magical, basic albergue in the ruins of the San Anton convent
*San Nicolas - sleep on mattresses in the loft of a small restored church – lamplit communual meal cooked by Italian hospitaleros, pilgrim blessing includes washing of pilgrims feet.
*Bercianos – ancient straw and mud house, watch the sunset before being allowed to have a communal dinner
*Manjarin – Atmospheric albergue run by Tomas the Templar - basic, no running water, electricity or toilet. Communal meal by lamplight, sleep in a stone barn on mattresses – stay for the Templario blessing and ceremony at 11am.
*Villafranca del Bierzo - Ave Fenix run by the Jato family for almost 30 years – Jesus Jato is a healer.

And, if you would like a list of the more up-market, private albergues you can download a brochure here: http://www.redalberguessantiago.com

Pilgrim hugs,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just recently discovered this site and I'm really excited to be able to talk with others about to do the camino. My boyfriend and I plan to leave May 12th from Detroit, MI and will return around June 24th. We're going to start in SJPP and go to Santiago de Compostela. We've been planning for quite some time now, but can definitely use any advice others are willing to share.

Hope to see some of you on the trail!

Cortney

Jane, Guy and Cortney...welcome to the Class of 2008!

The excitement for all of us currently on the Way and we who will soon begin Our Camino is rushing thru the trails, over the stream and among the flowers. In some locals the snow may still be present and the water refreshingly cold. The warmth of your fellow peregrinos will energize and encourage you as you walk in the footsteps of so many that have gone before.

Seek and you will find.

Buen Camino
Arn

Arn, someone mentioned that the pack should not weigh more than a kil. that is hard to find I have found one that is 1.7 kil. what do you think. Also what do you think of the smart socks think they are useful.

hanks
niel

Sleeping Bags

:?: Question for those of you who are experienced Pilgrims.... I'm trying to decide on a good sleeping bag to take on the trip. I ordered a one layer synthetic sleeping bag that is rated for 45 degrees F, but reviewed as being good for 50 -60 degrees F. When I received the bag, I began to worry that it may not be warm enough ( I tend to get cold pretty easily). We will be walking mid-May through the end of June....what are your thoughts? Should I invest in a better sleeping bag, or is the one I have going to be suitable?
Thanks for your help!

Niel and Kitty,
The size(weight) of your pack is more a matter of what you're going to carry and how well you can adjust it to your body contour. If you can keep your total weight under 20 lbs/14k that's a good rule of thumb. A poorly fit pack carrying 20 lbs...is worse than a well adjusted pack carrying 30 lbs.

There's a lot of discussion on down filled (less weight and volume) and synthetic filled (a bit more weight and easy to dry). Since we aren't camping out and the possibilities of getting the bag wet are slim (you may wash it out once and dry it properly) the down bag is my choice. You can find a good 40 degree bag that weight about 1 lb 6-8 oz for about $120 dollars. It takes up little room and is well worth the $$$. Check out: http://www.rei.com for some types and styles. I have a la fuma bag and I love it.

Depending on when you're departing...a 40 degree bag is a good choice. if it gets a bit colder at elevation...wear lightweight silk shirt for comfort and possibly light weight socks. If your toes and nose are warm...you are warm!
Buen Camino
Arn

I used a silk sleeping bag liner in May/June and in August/September. Most albergues in the colder areas have blankets. On cold nights I also wore a fleece pullover and long trackpants. A good mountain hiking trick is to get your body temp up before you get into your sleeping bag - run on the spot or jump up and down. Your body will soon warm up the interior of the bag.
If you are a big strong man 14kg should be manageable but most camino hikers will advise against anything over 10kg. If you are medium sized person, try to keep your your backpack to 10 - 15% of your body weight.

Hi everybody
On 10th of April I'm going to start my first steps on Camino. I'm quite experienced traveler but this time I feel impatient. Strange but I just want to be there.
I know that for next 4 weeks Im going to suffer rain, heat, thirst, hunger, snoring, sweat, blister and millions other nuisances but I just can't wait.
Hope you all, who'll be there feel the same.
Buen Camino
Andrzej

Arn said:
Since we aren't camping out...
You may not be, Arn! I think I'll have to for some of the Via Turonensis stages! Then I'll post the tent from St Jean Pied-de-Port back to its owner, who has offered to lend it to me, who lives in France. I've enjoyed the planning of this trip, even though it has been the most complicated I have ever done, on account of the charity element. Having decided to do the walk from England (1300 miles to Santiago), it seemed only right that people should benefit from the effort, apart from me and God having a good time together! But, boy, is it hard work getting the whole thing worked out for charity. All the endless letters, phone calls, emails, meetings! It's a harder slog than the walk.

This is primarily a personal pilgrimage: I decided to do it anyway. But while I'm doing it, it's raising money to benefit a disabled children's charity, Whizz-Kidz who provide mobility equipment. This week we have been particularly busy, with discussions to finalize the approach, and I would like to share with you where we are at present because I am really pleased that things are taking shape.

It has been decided that I will depart from Westminster Cathedral in London at 11.15 on Monday 12th May, receiving a pilgrim blessing from a Catholic priest on the cathedral steps, together with a group from Whizz-Kidz disabled children's charity and some children in wheelchairs. I am walking 2000 km for children who cannot walk and they will see me off. The press have been invited, as that maximises the charity giving.

A journalist from the London Times newspaper helped advise me on the press release, going out tomorrow. Plus he gave me his own media contact phone numbers and emails. The cathedral people have been really wonderful in their help and support. Now there's one last bit to get into place, and that's what we're waiting for: a significant person to put the first sello in my credencial on the steps of the cathedral. We're still working on that and I'll let you know if we succeed.

The pilgrim blog which I have already begun is here: http://www.whizz-kidz-pilgrim.blogspot.com It gives a bit more information about my dates (in the right hand column). Is it possible for anyone you have contact with to put a link to my blog? Could you think about possibilities?

So there we are. See you in Rabanal, fellow CSJ people, on 13th July. (My planning is that precise... but the timetable will all go pear-shaped before Rouen, I expect.) Arrival 25th July in Santiago, I hope! I am doing my pilgrimage as a traditional Catholic peregrinaje on the Camino. Very much so: I am a candidate for the Catholic priesthood and it is not just a charity walk. But the important thing is, while I am doing it I am also in a position to benefit children who cannot walk.

I understand from some criticism that has arrived in the last few days - from a significant source in Paris (once again, I'll keep it diplomatic and not say who publicly) - that the 'purist' pelerins completely reject the idea of the journey as a charity venture. You can do mountain-biking, or follow the 'ley lines', have a vegetarian zen capuccino experience, or anything you like, and that's fine, except benefit your neighbour who needs your support! So be it. Let them be 'pure' and not engage with the world. I seem to remember a story about that attitude in the Gospel...! :wink:

Enjoy your Camino, early birds. Just a few more weeks to go for me... And I'll be glad to put all the planning behind and all the charity funding targets, and just get walking and hear the wind in the grass!

Gareth

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I arrive in san sebastian & head over to sjpd on the 12 of april with my friend Pat.
I walked the camino in 2003, the best thing I have ever done in my life or at least right up near the top! Am looking forward to moving all day every day outside. I turned 57 this week.

ONce we arrive, we'll get ourselves over to SJPD & depending on how we feel, we'll begin walking the 13th or 14th.

I am from Northern CA/Glen Ellen (near Sonoma) and am in the process of a move to Mexico where I will end up at after the walk & Pat lives in Portland OR

My BLOG for this walk is: http://www.caminopilgrimage.blogspot.com
I have lots of links up there which I put for the purpose of being able to check into it for reference as i walk and you are welcome to use it also.

Buen camino & hope to meet some of you along the way

My boyfriend and I just purchased our plane tickets for the camino!!! This feels so real now!! No turning back! We'll fly out of Chicago and into Paris on May 13th and our return flight is scheduled from Madrid on June 24th. This is all so exciting!
For those of you doing the camino in May/June, we look forward to meeting up with you :D

I am excited (and nervous) to say that I will be arriving in SJPDP on April 10th from Brooklyn, NY....I look forward to crossing paths with many of you. This forum has been an an amazing place for support and preparation!!

I do have one question...Can anyone recommend a hostel or other pilgrim friendly place to stay in Bayonne? My flight arrives too late in Biarritz to catch the last train to SJPDP. Or I could stay in Biarritz also.

Thank you so much

glori

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you need to stay over in Bayonne the Hotel Paris Madrid which is run by Patrick and Sylvie Sorbois is a good place to stay. Walk out of the station and look about 50m to the left across the parking lot. It is clean and friendly and they speak English. May 2007 prices: With shower and toilet: 34 € – No private shower or toilet 19 €.

To all the most recent forum members of the Class of 2008...I thought I had all all my plans together and that I was ready to go....but...other folks are now making demands on the remaining time I have...and, though I like it...I'm beginning to feel rushed.

To top it all...my son Christopher returns from Afghanistan on April 8th after a year's deployment, but I'll miss him..Darn!

Well, leaving DC on Sat April 12th to Madrid, vis London.....see all my fellow class mates VERY soon in SJPDP.

Buen "on the fast slope" Camino

Arn

Hi Arn
I feel like I'll slow down my walk just to meet You. I'm leaving SJPP on Thursday morning with the great hope of catching some winter in the mountains (recently was snowing even in London).
I really hope as a former US Marine You'll walk faster and after few days our paths will cross at some point. If not I wish You great time on Milky Way.
Andy

Glori said:
My flight arrives too late in Biarritz to catch the last train to SJPDP

Hello Glori,
I don't know if this will help you but I have just done a travel search for a local couple who arrive in Biarritz at 8pm and want to get to St Jean the same night.

They will take a taxi to Bayonne to make the last bus to St Jean. The taxi will cost about 25-30 euros. http://www.taxis-biarritz.fr/htfr/0001.htm email: taxis-biarritz@wanadoo.fr

The last bus to St Jean leaves at 21h06 and gets to St Jean at 22h18
Bus timetable to St Jean here:
http://www2.ter-sncf.com/Images/Bayonne ... -21351.pdf

Abrazos,

I hope to meet you as we walk along the Way.
That would be good because it is going to be my first Camino and I don't know which wine is good for my cholesterol level. :wink:
Andy

Andy,

In answer to your question about Wine and health. Here's the "professionals" view:

Lower Your Cholesterol

Alcohol also can have a very powerful effect and increase HDL "good" cholesterol by 20% if used moderately and in the context of a healthy diet along with regular physical activity, says Rimm. Higher HDL levels are linked to lower risks of heart disease.

"The research evidence points to ethanol, or the alcohol component, of beer, wine, or spirits as the substrate that can help lower cholesterol levels, increase 'good' HDL cholesterol,"

Here's Arn's view: If it tastes good....drink it!

Buen "a glass a wine a day...keeps the...er, I can't remember whom exactly away" Camino
Arn

Hi All

You guys make me feel like I want to be there right now! :D Only two weeks (plus a little bit) to go for me, and I can't wait. Made my reservations at SJPDP and Orisson and I am ready to go with the flow!

Petro

Hi guys,

I'm leaving for Bilbao on Thursday, and having moments of pure panic throughout the day. Although, I am excited too, just incredibly nervous. This is hopefully going to be the best thing I've ever done for myself. I don't really know why I'm so worried, because I know there are so many fantastically nice people who will be able to help me should something go wrong... I think I just worry too much.

Anyway, I'll be going to Bilbao on Thursday via Copenhagen and Madrid, stay the night and make my way to St Jean the following day. Then I'll start my walk on Saturday, I've booked Orisson, and I'm hoping there'll be no snow in the mountains (I hate snow) and that we'll have really nice weather so I can walk up there. I really don't want to miss that part of the journey.

Buen Camino to you all,
Hilda

Hilda,

It seems as though we've all been planning for ever, but now is the time. I hope that I meet you along the Milky Way...and, as for snow....I love snow!

Buen Camino

Arn

I can understand why Hilda doesn't like snow. She is from Sweden and Sweden is one of not many countries in Europe which still have real winter. They even build a hotel made of ice.
Sorry Hilda but like Arn I hope to meet some snow in the mountains.
Welcome and see You there.
Andy

I have to say, I hope the snow in Roncesvalles is gone by the end of the month. I've had a enough snow this winter on these Canadian prairies... :)

Arn said:
It seems as though we've all been planning for ever
You're telling me, Arn! It has been quite a complicated business planning my marathon walk from London, especially working out the plan for walking through France: if I've got any energy left after the planning, I may even do some walking... :) The effort of planning for the charity element of this pilgrimage has also been quite exhausting. Now I've got the first of the media interviews fixed up, for the sake of the kids' charity, that will take up some more time. Ivar has kindly put a link to my blog on the main page of the Santiago Forum site, and that's good timing because I've just designed a new blog banner. So, it's just five weeks to go for me, and I'm watching the progress of some of you guys who are setting out soon. Gareth

http://www.whizz-kidz-pilgrim.blogspot.com

Attachments

• blog_banner_reduced.jpg
    blog_banner_reduced.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 622
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone well its final had to make some changes on my fleight plans so I now leave on May 5th. Will arrive in Madrid on the 6th for a few days of R&R then off to the Camino. I purchased the back-pack tried it around the store and saw how all the straps work and after a while it fit well. So I am raring to go what ever may come.
Will ask questions as the time is nearer. See you soon hopefully.

niel

Michael I agree we had a rather tough winter in Canada this year. I am from Southern Ontario St. Catharines weather is getting better now. So when do you leave? I am also leaving from Roncesvalles Leaving Madrid probably around May 7, good luck hope to see you.

niel

Niel,

I'm leaving for SJPDP on April 28th, so we may miss each other. Ah well, you never know what lies in ahead though. :)

I saw that Ontario (and the Maritimes) got hit a bit hard this year and I feel your pain. We were lucky this year, the quantity of snow wasn't too bad; it just lasted forever (and the -50 windchill days were hard to enjoy). Oh well, that's the dues we pay. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Niel,

Great to hear your plans have fallen into place. As much as I'd like to walk a few miles with you...I'm starting early and hope to finish at Muxia about May 27th.

You enjoy your trek...grow as you go and leave a seed now and then that will speak to your passing along the Way.

Buen Camino,

Arn

To all my fellow Class mates of 2008!

This thread was begun in early December and we've watched it gather in those currently on their Camino, those soon to depart (ooohhhhhhhhhhhh......yyeeesssssssss) and the many set to start in the not to distant future.

I want to thank a few folks for their encouragement, sage advice, desire to share their successes, near disasters and heart felt empathy.

Johnnie Walker was one of the first to welcome me, followed closely by lillian, Megan, Hilda and so many others. Sady, a few have dropped off (Br. David among them) and some, while initially hesitant to commit...are with us today.

Several of you have used the off line "message" link and provided me with both spiritual and sometimes a bit "off colour" commentary, which is both well received and appreciated (Gareth, Jerry, Rebekah).

I've two nationalities I'm drawn to by both marriage and heritage. Sil, remains my true center as did my lovely wife also a South African lady, while Deirdrè, here in the States introduced me to areas of interest I hadn't considered.

New additions...you know who you are...I hope to see you along the Way...and don't forget the party in SDC near the 20 to 23rd of May.

Lastly, My Brother Vinotino...kindred spirit, alike in mind and in heart. each step I take along the Milky Way...I take with you.

Buen "got my reservation at Orisson for the 15th Camino

Arn

Arn, Please make a lot of noise at the party in Santiago...that way my small crew will know what direction to head!! We have some seriously directionally challenged (my hubby!) and I will need all the help I can get to make sure the man is headed the right way! Although if I tell him there is red wine in that direction....he'd be right there!

Will be thinking of you over the next few weeks....and eagerly awaiting updates! It's only 41 days and a wake up! YEAH!! :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I missed all of this talk of lowering cholesterol whist I was away recently walking down from A Coruna into Santiago on the Camino Ingles and then out to Finisterre and Muxia. A wonderful experience of which more another time.

It isn't just wine which can lower cholesterol you know :) the Spaniards even have their own Camino Cholesterol which I discovered when nearing the end of the Via de la Plata.

I was bone weary when I got to Ourense and my friend had developed bad blisters. We decided to stay a day or so before the final push into Santiago. We found a really nice little hostal and when the very helpful woman realised we were pilgrims and one was injured she made sure we had a room with a bath - such luxury.

The next day my friend hobbled down to breakfast and afterwards I asked the woman what we could do in Ourense just to relax. Alas Spain remains a country of many smokers and she did that thing which many smokers are able to do:talk and exhale smoke at the same time. Her explanation came through the cloud. "Ah..." she said knowingly..." you two need to take the Camino Cholestorol"...she went on to explain that there was a route which is used to exercise along the river side and at the end we had a choice to either jump into the river for free or pay a little money to jump in.

She must have seen the look of astonishment on our faces because she quickly went on to explain that there are thermal pools at the river side. Off we went with our hiking shorts and sandles - to jump in the river.

And so it was at the end of the Camino Cholestorol were several rock lined pools in the river full of people and just beside it with an entrance fee of a few euros the most beautiful Japanese Zen Garden.

We paid. There were three pools - hot, hotter and sleep enducing...plus a sauna and steam room, cold pool ...showers. This is a pilgrims paradise. No talking is allowed and all you can hear is tinkle of soft music.

Check it out: http://www.termaschavasqueira.com/

I think it cost 3 euros!

At this point I had walked 900 kms so when I saw a sign advertising a leg massage for a few euros more - did I resist?

Buen Camino Cholesterol!

Is it clothing optional??? :wink:
I will be there... I mean we will be there. My son and I and yes, I will not embarrass him and wear clothes. Thermal baths...ahhhhhhh.
On the subject of massage.... when I was in Sarria, with much pain in my foot (still), I got a leg massage from a woman whose name was at the albergue, of which the hospitalero connected me with. She came to the albergue and I got a leg massage for an hour and a half. 30 euros. After so many other attempts (and yes, Jato worked on me as did others, and with much due respect it did not do anything other than make my spirit soar) the massage worked out whatever it was that was preventing me from walking again. The next day I did 30 kms. Never had another pain again. Gone!
I put my oldest son through massage therapy school... sure wish I could take him with me too for a little payback. hehe
I recommend a massage for any leg or foot or back problems on the Camino.
Bringing massage cream with me....
Lillian

My friend and I did a short course on foot massage before we left and took a small camping towel, facecloth and arnica oil with us so that we could offer foot massages along the way. We often had a queue of limping pilgrims waiting in line. I always seemed to get the men but must say that there is nothing erotic about massaging red, scaly, blistered, hot feet!

Hi gang...

I fly to Madrid on 2 May and get the bus to Burgos from where I start my camino on 4 May.

I hope to see some of you along the way...bring on the wine and the massage oil!!!

Red Kite

I look forward to meeting most of you along the Way at the shiny new Peaceable Kingdom Meseta Relief Center in Moratinos! It´s almost finished!! YAY!

And I can imagine how wound-up you are today, Arn..so much anticipation!

Rebekah

That's wonderful, Rebekah, makes me wish to detour from the Via just to meet you. Congratulations. You could post to us who you are meeting from our forum. That would be fun to read.

Sillydoll, that was funny!
Lillian

Arn said:
This thread was begun in early December and we've watched it gather in those currently on their Camino, those soon to depart (ooohhhhhhhhhhhh......yyeeesssssssss) and the many set to start in the not to distant future.

Buen Camino, Arn, and thanks for starting this long-running thread: it has certainly been a popular one. I expect you'll be on your way by the time you catch up with this message. When you can find an Internet point let us know how you're getting on.

Now, here's the secret treasure, and you could be the first to it. I left some white chocolate wrapped up with note - behind a kilometre stone just past Melide. (Km 49.5) It was meant for a German peregrina who was following behind me but she didn't get my text message until she passed Boente a few kilometres later. Nobody else would have seen it. Eat the chocolate! It was well wrapped up. (All along the Camino, Forum members start running towards Km 49.5..... :lol:

Gareth

http://whizz-kidz-pilgrim.blogspot.com

Hey all,

I'm now in Pamplona, and I've actually finished my pilgrimage, not that I ever really started... I only walked from St Jean to Hunto, and then was exhausted and had to be driven up to Orisson, where everyone (although they meant well) annoyed me with trying to persuade me to cross the mountain, which I did not feel up to. Since then, I had a bit of a think and I've come to the conclusion that I actually don't want to do this pilgrimage. Not because of what happened the first day, but I just lost sight of why I wanted it and it suddenly doesn't seem as interesting or exciting as it did when i planned it. I'm now doing a few more stops (Burgos, LeĂłn) and then I'm going home, around the 20th-23rd of April....

Not exactly how I envisioned it, but I feel much happier now. I was constantly unhappy the first few days, but since I decided on this I've felt much better and calmer. I haven't been throwing up, which I did the first few days. And, I realise it's a bit pathetic to give up after the first day, but I just realised I wasn't ready. It was too much too soon. I don't like sleeping in albergues, i don't like trying new food, and I really hate excercising (even though I enjoy walking, but for shorter stretches and without a pack). So, for me, it was just too many new experiences and new situations every day. And, I'm just not comfortable with that much change.

Anyway, I wish all of you who are doing your pilgrimage now, or will start soon, the best of luck.

Buen camino to you all,
Hilda

Hilda

Best wishes from all of us. We try things. we don't like them, we change course - that's life. Enjoy the rest of the trip Burgos and Leon are great cities - and visit Santiago one day too perhaps!

John

Hello Hilda,
You are not the first person to give up after starting at St Jean and you won't be the last. Many pilgrims become exhausted, injured or overwhelmed by the prospect of another 500 miles like the first day or two. There is absolutely no historical reason for anyone to start there anyway - just a whole lot of publishers who copy each other and start their guide books from there.
There must have been a physical reason for you to be throwing up and feeling exhausted and you have done the right thing. I admire you for putting it out there and I'm sure the next pelegrino who is poorly and tired won't feel so bad knowing that he/she is not the only one to make that decision.
Enjoy your stay in Spain, visit the museums and monuments, take a bus to Finisterre and see the end of the world.
Big pilgrim hug!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.