• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2008!

Wow! There are so many wonderful people on this site. People are happy, eager to start, a little nervous, concerned about the weather...we are all jumping with excitement with the impending start to our caminos...and for me it is all going very, very fast, almost too fast...slow down time!!!, I have had asthma for the last week (which I haven't had in years); a slightly swollen knee, and I am sure a fair few new and imagined pains here and there....I haven't done a big walk for a couple of weeks nor exercised, my sleeping bag weighs 900gr and my pack weighs 1.6 kilos, I haven't bought 2 sets of clothes (the ones to help me keep dry and warm) yet....I am moving out of my house on Mon. and have tons of papers to deal with..oh and I have to order my Altus poncho... (I am in Australia, will it arrive in time? or should I send it to Biarritz, where I have a friend?)....and I have put on a few kilos...:-(

But I have quit smoking, I have paid for my ticket, booked a night in SJPP, worn in my boots,told everyone I am walking...everyone is amazed...and I am so excited, I can't wait. I know I will have to take it very slowly at first....is it OK to stay in both Hontos, and Orisson on the way up :oops: ?
Maybe there is someone I will meet someone in St Jean who might want to go slowly and would like to walk to Hontos with me on the first day? I am a little concerned about the weather and losing my way in the fog.

Buen Camino to all of you who are leaving before me, (before the 8th May) and I hope to meet those of you who are leaving after the 8th, well at least some of you.

Buenas noches to all,

Clarisa en Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Clarisa, be of good cheer you will meet many fine people on the Camino. About walking the first day one of my Profs did the Camino last year and a word of advise he gave me was not to force yourself the first few days that is his advise and that is what I plan to do. Be careful and trust in the advise of those who have done it and the help of those you journey with. Best wishes for success.

n

Hi all,

I'll confess to being a lurker these past few weeks; it's hectic with getting
ready for my departure in two days... :shock: two days!!! Clarisa, I'm totally with you. I had a dream a couple of years ago where I was on a long and arduous journey (lots of tree climbing and exploring back gardens) for which I could get fit/strong only through the process of the journey itself. Who would have thought it was a Camino dream? I'm sad that I'll be ahead of you. But like you, I'm taking it very, very easy in the beginning.

Arn and Petro, I think you'll be at Orisson a day ahead of me (I'm there on Saturday)? I hope our paths cross somewhere on the tangible snow melt muddy (vs. virtual) way.

The quality of the journey is enriched already because of the sense of community here: all your wisdom, generosity and insight. Thank You!

Blessings to all
Melinda

Here's my new blog: http://www.beautyisreallygood.blogspot.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
oh thank you n and Melinda.........wow, 2 days, I wish you the "bestest" weather over the Pyrenees, at least! lots of sunshine.........que tengan buenos caminos los dos!!!!!!
clarisa

Hi all,

l'm Chieko from Japan.
I'll start walking from SJPP on May 9 or 10. this is my first camino.
Anyone going the same route at the same time ?

Chieko

Welcome Chieko,
Last year 327 pilgrimns from Japan got the Compostela. I think the most famous Japanese to walk the camino is Madoka Mayuzumi, a Haiku poet who played a part in the Video named after one of her poems "Within the way Without".

Attachments

• Larry Boulting - fil makers.jpg
    Larry Boulting - fil makers.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 835
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
sillydoll said:
Welcome Chieko,
I think the most famous Japanese to walk the camino is Madoka Mayuzumi, a Haiku poet who played a part in the Video named after one of her poems "Within the way Without".
Great film! Madoka is wonderful in it too. At last you have explained to me how the film has such a curious title - I wondered!

I walked with a Japanese pilgrim for a while last year. When we stopped at the Dutch evangelical refugio in Villamayor de Monjardin (an excellent place by the way) they handed out St John's Gospels to pilgrims at the evening meal: a copy to each in their own language. I was amazed when they gave my friend a copy in Japanese too! That shows you how the Camino is geared up for an increasing number of Japanese pilgrims.

Gareth
http://www.whizz-kidz-pilgrim.blogspot.com

Hello All:
Well, I'm 23 days from departure and it's closing in fast - can barely wait! I'll be leaving from Roncesvalles on Sunday, May 11th. By the looks of the schedule of others, I'm likely to meet up with some forum members around this time. The only slight worry I have is the hope that my pack arrives in Madrid when I do :p , otherwise I'm ready to go.
Buene Camino
Keith

Cheiko and Keith,
I am going very slowly over the Pyrenees. My plan is to arrive in St Jean on the 7th of May, I will stop in Hontos on the 8th, Orisson on the 9th and then hope to get to Roncesvalles on the 10th. So Keith, I am sure you will catch up with me. Cheiko, if you are fitter than me, you will catch up for sure in Orisson, or Roncesvalles. It is getting so close now that we can almost say, "See you soon!" :)
Buen camino,
Clarisa

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
sillydoll said:
I think the most famous Japanese to walk the camino is Madoka Mayuzumi, a Haiku poet quote]

Hi sil, I didn't know who is Madoka Mayuzumi, but she is a famous Haiku poet and traveler in Japan.I would like to read her book before my first camino.

Hi Gareth, I'm honored the action of Japanese pilgrim you walked with. I heard many Japanese pilgrims are shy...wish to be friendly.

Hi Clarisa, I'll be at Lourdes on the 7th and go to SJPP on the 8th. and I'll start to walk on the 9th or 10th. hope to catch up with you soon.( but, i'm afraid I would be slow...)

Hi Keith, I'll start to walk on the 9th or the 10th from SJPP and be at Roncesvalles on the 10th or the 11th. Hope to see you.

Buen camino,
Chieko

Keith, hi there about the pack I thought it was common knowledge and suggested taking it with you on the plane. Check it out I plan on taking it with me on the plane I least I will try. You will probably catch up to me I leave Madrid on May 9th for Pamplona and then to Roncesvalles leaving there on the 10th. Plan on taking it slow to start so who knows you might catch up. Good journey.

n :D

Six of us, ages 45 - 62, will be leaving Iowa on May 1st for our 1st Camino experience. We will start at SJPP with only 29 walking days available to complete our pilgrimage. We have been trying to train as much as possible. We are all very excited but also a bit scared because of our time limitation. We have probably bit off more than we should but we are going to give it our best. I have appreciated the broadness of this forum. I just read about the availability, or lack of, of daily Mass. The comments on clothing, shoes, housing, struggles and joys, ect. have all been so informative and encouraging. So as part of the "Class of 2008" I look forward to meeting many of you during the month of May along the Camino. Ruth

Here is our web site and blog link for our Camino experience: http://www.elcamino.norsketech.com/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can do it. With a bit of pre-planning you will manage it. My best advice for you peregrinos is to take it slow and easy the first few days and over the mountains and then play catch-up on the flat sections. Don't plan days of equal distance - and don't stick to the guide book stages which most pilgrims do which results in crowded and full albergues. In 2002 I walked with two friends, I was the 'baby' at 56 and Georgette was our senior at 74. We walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 27 days. Some days were loooong days - a couple of 40km days on the meseta - but some days were shorter ± 18kms days. Most of all ENJOY it. Its no fun if its all slog-slog-slog.
Hugs,

Hey there everyone on the benefits of a silk liner for the sleeping bag is it essential? Also about sending your bag ahead to Compostela saw an address on here is it advisable. Thats it looking forward to going oh by the way I received my logo of this site today very nice. Does the post office sell you the box? I am just wondering in case I cannot leave my bag where I usually stay in Madrid.

see ya.

n

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let's have a go at answering your questions.

Hey there everyone on the benefits of a silk liner for the sleeping bag is it essential?

No, liners are not essential unless your bag is a summer bag and you are walking in cold months. I ONLY use a silk liner - no sleeping bag - and have managed in cold albergues with sleeping in long trousers, a fleece pullover and blankets from the albergue.

Also about sending your bag ahead to Compostela saw an address on here is it advisable.

Only if you have stuff that you want to use when you get to Santiago. Some people find that they have packed too much stuff and then send excess clothing/items ahead which they will collect in Santiago.

Thats it looking forward to going oh by the way I received my logo of this site today very nice. Does the post office sell you the box? I am just wondering in case I cannot leave my bag where I usually stay in Madrid.

The Post Office has packets and boxes which they sell - up to 20kg.
Small box 230 x 140 x 80 mm €1.55:
Medium box 317 x 215 x 125 mm €1.95
Large box 390 x 280 x 190 mm €2.45:
Extra large* box 590 x 390 x 390 mm €3.05
Trapezoid box €2.45:
Adjustable box €2.40
Postage costs:
Up to 2kg €5.29:
5kg €6.15:
10kg €7.25:
15kg €10.08:
20kg €12.30
There is a Correos at Terminal 4 at Barajas Airport.
AEROPUERTO DE BARAJAS TERMINAL 4
28022 MADRID (MADRID)

Hope this helps.
Hugs,

Sil, hi there thanks for the answer now I will be leaving Roncesvalles May 8th do you think I could manage the weather at nite in a silk liner. If I find it too difficult I will then ponder on buying a sleeping bag along the way. I am trying to leave with as little as possible.Also bought under clothing and not too happy with it yes they dry fast but they don't breath like a nice pair of cotton boxers. So thinking of bringing both types. You are the best see ya.

nile :roll:

You are welcome peregrino-Nile!

The albergue in Roncesvalles is one of only two that didn't offer blankets. With 120 people inside it warms up quickly though. I wore my long trousers (made of tracksuit material) a t shirt and a fleece pullover and was warm enough in the silk liner.

You can buy one online from the New Zealand Nature Co or from one of their stores in Canada. Here are some specifics:

Silk Sleeping Bag Liners - dimensions
Single silk sleeping bag liner dimensions are 210cm long & 85cm wide (top to bottom is 7 feet long and 33 inches wide) - plenty long enough. Weighs 5 ounces - 160 grams, and comes with its own compact stuff bag (16 x 24cm - 6 1/2 x 9 inches), made of silk of course. At the top there is a pillow case built in, so you rest your head on pure silk also. This is especially good while camping when you don't have a pillow, you can stuff some extra clothing in the pillow compartment.

They have top and top side entrance. Side opens down about 12 inches from the top. (300 mm) for easy entrance. Entrance is reinforced and has no velcro or zips to rip your bag or scratch you- only soft silk. Plenty long enough for anyone.
Double silk liner dimensions are 210cm long & 170cm wide (top to bottom is 7 feet long and 66 inches wide).
They cost ± $35 single and $70 double size.
More info here:
http://www.nznature.co.nz/mshop/spi//3_SIL_851

In sunny South Africa they sell 'board shorts' with attached underpants so our male pilgrims hardly ever take underpants. Take your cotton boxers or even a pair of silk sleeping shorts that you can wear under your shorts or trousers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
someone asked if I´d post the board members who´ve stopped by at Moratinos.

I kinda let people do that for themselves, but I can tell you in the past couple of weeks we´ve had Mary from Ireland stop by, and the almost-famous American Camino del Norte expert Alan Joyce. Farther back we hosted Dael, from Scotland, who I think used to poke his head in this virtual door. We´ve also had a couple of hospitaleros between assignments, a filmmaker, and folks who just wanted a sello. (we have a nice one!)

Once we are fully moved-in here we will put up a sign in the plaza, directing you all up the street to our house. It will probably just say "pilgrim coffee: mornings." Right now we still are commuting between here and Sahagun, and don´t often arrive til 9 a.m. We miss the first two waves of pilgs., usually the ones who need coffee the most!

I´m part of a couple of different boards and groups, so it´s hard for me to remember which board is the source of which person. Forgive me. Have a cuppa coffee. Take a load off.

Reb.

Hi, I decided to start on 20th of May from SJPP, FUUL MOON IN SCORPIO - it is a great day for new beginnings :p .

:?: What would be the best way to get there from Munich? I am thinking to fly to Madrid than Pamplona a bus to Roncevalles and taxi to SJPP.
:?: How do I find the albergues in each town? ? Is there a list on albergues in one of the guides?

Here is some information on the Fool Moon by Soluntra King:
FULL MOON IN SCORPIO 29.27 degrees BLUE FULL MOON
MAY 20th GMT 2.11am

We are given another chance to connect deeply on this full moon which is also in Scorpio and a Blue Full Moon, meaning the second full moon in not a calendar month, but the same star sign, which is very rare. The last full moon was also in Scorpio and the Wesak Full Moon on April 20th. With this full moon it is also when the Sun is Conjunct the Central Sun, Alycone. So some very powerful energies pulling at us here, as the Sun and Moon are opposite. Those contracts you sorted out at the Wesak Full Moon and all the inner unifying that's taken place gives you the opportunity at this Moon to make the next step in your journey, into higher light octaves of yourself. Be open to receiving these energies and allowing yourself to trust in the process as you surrender in divine will.
The Full Moon is a time of completion and celebration, and when the Sun and the Moon are opposite and with the Sun and Central Sun one in Taurus "I have" and Scorpio "I transform" with the second blast of this energy its here to shoot us into the higher planes of ourself and the bigger picture higher dimensional worlds. This energy is very stabilising and nurturing, grounding and deeply connected through our souls and Source, through the Suns and Moon. Enjoy making a special occasion of this event.
MAYAN CALENDAR DAY; 5 (centre, core purpose, acceptance) YELLOW (South - ripens, allows) LIZARD -KAN (seed, creation, flowering awareness)
in the 3 (rhythm, creativity, integration, sacred trinity) UINAL (20 days) of Activation ruled by the Goddess of Birth and Watering. CHALCHIUHTLICUE
http://www.evenstarcreations.com/FutureEv2008.htm

Hi - if you are flying into Madrid it is sensible to get a flight on to Pamplona. I've done this and the prices can be quite low. From Pamplona it is the 6pm bus to Roncesvalles and then the taxi you mention to SJdPP.

As for the addresses of albergues fear not - many places are very small and the albergue(s) are obvious. In larger towns I've always found the signposting to the albergue very good.

Buen Camino

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
John I too am concerned about travel to Pamplona. Now I am aware of the 6:00 PM bus to Roncesvalles but can we obtain accommodations at just a late date? Is it not possible to leave Pamplona earlier than that?
niel

Hi,

I'm planning - no not planning - will be leaving SJPP on 9th September to walk to Santiago. I've handed in my notice at work, planning a return home to my hometown and leaving from there.

My boots have served me well over 6 years and will see me to Santiago! I bought my 35l Berghaus bag at the weekend. Some things that I'll need (or think I'll need) I have already, others I'll buy between now and then.

The excitement is building. To follow in the footsteps of countless thousands of people of good-will and faith over a millenium will do that to a man.

I've no doubt this has been posted here before, but here are the opening lines of Sir Walter Raleigh's "His Pilgrimage"

Give me my scallop - shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope's true gage;
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pilgrim Niel, the 6pm bus is only one from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. If you are concerned about getting a bed, you can take a taxi. They hang out close to the bus station looking for nervous peregrinos who can't wait to get to Roncesvalles - so you might be able to share with others.
The taxi costs about 45 euro.

For those going to St Jean from Pamplona. Caroline from Express Burricot will take pilgrims from Pamplona at 4pm for 32 euro. If you want to leave at 11am it will be 80 euro - or 20 euro each for 4 people.
You can reserve the taxi here:
apcaroline@hotmail.com

hello class of 2008

a quick message to say g'day - i'm in StJPdP chilling out ready to start walking tomorrow. the people in the pilgrim office here are very friendly and helpful, a nice way to start.

i'm itching to get going now that i've been away from home for 4 days, no jet-lag to speak of just lots of waiting round!

looking forward to having a beer in Orrison tomorrow night - think that was a good call staying 1/2 way up the very very steep looking Pyrenees!!!

buen camino and au revoir until another opportunity to log on.

Megan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On May 1, six of use will be flying to Spain and then taking a taxi to StJPdP to begin our pilgrimage. We have been doing a lot of training. The apprehension and excitement are building. Please look at our website (http://www.elcamino.norsketech.com - blog and map links available) and say "Hi" to us if you see us along the Camino. Ruth

Meghan and Ruth...wishing you both the very very best..Please keep posting...so the rest of us waiting so anxiously in the wings can have something to tide us over! It's finally less than 30 something!! In fact only 28 days and a wake up!! My stomach flip flops when I think about it...I check my bag everyday when I go home! Hoping to hear from you both...

Buen Camino! :D
Karin

Megan...sorry...typo'd your name...Mea Culpa!! I of all people should be a tad more careful....after a lifetime of getting mine misspelled (Spelling of mis...??? :shock: )

Green w/ envy, :mrgreen:
Karin

Well, I'm 59 and haven't done any physical training, and someone here in India gave me an old pair of sandals to walk in- but having lots of time and a lifetime of walking, with pack, reckon I'll be ok. or hope so,
I am walking for Tibet- check out spain508@tibetactiongroup.com if interested.
We start May 17, I'll be a day late due to the fact that getting from Delhi to StJean in time to join the group was impossible. so I fly from the UK to Pau, then I'll need to find a bus to Roncesvalles to meet them, if possible. or hitchhike...
Then I'll certainly get left behind as I am a slow walker. slow but sincere.
Ferenji Nan

Well, my friends, I am off to Spain tomorrow morning. I am excited of doing my second walk, the Via de la Plata this time, and taking my 22 year old son, Salvador. He has no idea what he just signed up for :wink: , but I know this will be wonderful for his as well. (He said he's adding a "nice shirt" in case he meets a senorita). After going around a few places and visiting family, we will start our walk on the 7th of May.
I blogged the CF last time when I could, and will try this time as well. Not sure how the internet situation is on the VdlP. I'll stay in touch.
Hasta la Via
Lillian

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Megan,

I would be very interested to know what the weather was like today on your way to Orisson and what it is like all the way to Roncesvalles. I read about the two English guys getting caught in the snowstorm on 23 April. Was there any talk about how they got caught there? Were you warm enough in the Pyrenees? What didn't you have that you should have had? If it was cold, what best helped you to keep warm?

You were very good at keeping your weight down and you must be really appreciating it now!

I have been thinking about you. I hope you had a wonderful first day!

Buen Camino,
Clarisa

Buen camino Lillian. Buen Viaje!
Keep in touch if you can.
Hugs,

As of today nine days to go for me. Will spend a few days in Madrid then off to Roncsevalles on May 9 and leave for the Camino on May 10. A bit over-whelmed with the Camino due to the unexpected but it will be a challenge and an adventure. Wish me well and hope to see some of you.

niel :|

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm flying to Bordeaux on Monday morning then by train to SJPP. My backpack is packed ready. This morning I decided to go to the local library to photocopy my passport. I came home with the copy but didn't realise until the library had closed that I had left my original passport in the machine.
Talk about panic stations. Fortunately the main library in town was still open and they were able to send a keyholder out to retrieve my passport but for an hour or so I did wonder whether I was going to have to postpone my flight.

WHERE IS ARN???

Has anyone heard from Arn??

Need some clarification, my Prof was on the Camino Last year and he recommend this observation. When leaving Sahagun he says to go through on to El Burgo Ranero rather than the other way.Does anyone know of this? Please give some clarification. He states the other route is longer and not as scenic. Thanks guys

niel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Niel, there are a number of detours and alternate routes along the camino frances.
The CSJ guide has good instructions for the alternate routes after Sahagun. There is a large sign board that shows you the detour through el Burgo Ranero. It is the dotted line on the board.
If you take this route, consider staying at Bercianos. It is in an old straw and mud building, with a dedicated hospitalero who cooks a meal for her 40+ peregrinos but makes you watch the sunset before you are allowed to have dinner!

Attachments

• Detour Sahagun  .jpg
    Detour Sahagun .jpg
    79 KB · Views: 462
  • Bercianos.jpg
    Bercianos.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 463
I went to El Burgo Ranero and enjoyed the Way. (My guidebook recommended that route) The government has planted trees (which are still small, but nevertheless provided some respite from the sun!) all along the Way and it is a pretty if a bit monotonous walk. I was running ahead of a huge thunderstorm and arrived at El Burgo Ranero just before the rain. I got the last place in the French albergue there but no sleep because at midnight began a fiesta in the bar (and of course in the street) across from the albergue! We were up early and moving on.

Don't worry, Niel, you'll choose the path that is right for you when you get there. Just go with it and let the Camino do the work. Many factors will affect the Way you go. Your physical condition, your feet, your companions all will have an impact on where you end up each day. Don't over plan, just go with it!

Buen Camino,

sillydoll said:
WHERE IS ARN???

Has anyone heard from Arn??

i saw a poem from Arn in the book in municipal hostel in Roncevalles, dated a few days ago - i was there yesteday.

in Larrasonana today. be warned that the albergue fills up fast, i decided to walk from zubiri to here so as to have a short day tomorrow into pamplona - very long day today and very tired, staying in a pension at 15 euros!

The weather is beautiful, cool in mornings but warm during the day - about 20deg or more.

Megan

Thanks Megan - thought he might have joined the Augustinian order and remained in Roncesvalles!
Keep warm, take it slow - you have a loooooonnnng.... way to go, girl!
Blessing,

i should say that i got here about 3pm and the albergue only has 40 beds in the ´low´ season - it has more in July and August.

Clarisa, the weather is fantastic, no need for too many warm clothes, i am posting my fleece, beanie and gloves back. for some reason my pack is now heavy - 10kg, it was only 7.5 when i left home, I have no idea what happened :lol: but factor in 1kg or so for food, and of course water adds weight too.

having a great time, feeling very sore today but loving the experience, lots of Germans :lol: making friends with a few people, still no one from the forum that i have found.

for those of you about to start, don´t worry, just get your weight down and enjoy - the camino frances is very well set up for everything. there are already a lot of pilgrims on the camino so if you are worried about travelling alone, don´t, we all seem to look out for one another.

would highly recommend staying at orrison if you are starting in stj - great place, so friendly, food is fantastic as it the view, a really nice way to start the camino. if you want to avoid crowds consider walking a bit further on day 2 and not stay at roncevalles, though the albergue is quite an experience - old monastery and you are woken by gregorian chant cd.

must go and have a cerveza before dinner.

buen camino and happy planning for everyone, will post again when i have time

Megan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I joined the forum a month or so ago. I'm going to be leaving from Vancouver on May 14. I'm getting quite apprehensive and excited. I've never heard anyone who has walked the Camino say that it wasn't a wonderful experience and I know I'll be fine once I get on the road. It's the getting to SJPP and the first day of walking that are my biggest worries. I have a friend leaving here on Tuesday and she's going to be e-mailing me about her experiences. I too have a long list of people in my Camino group to e-mail when I get the opportunity.
Kitty

Just in case I lose the original. It is easier to get a new one if you have all your details and I thought a copy may even be accepted.
Just setting out now for the airport with mixed feelings. Excitement for the walk but a bit sad at leaving wife and friends for a month.

John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kitty, I was quite worried about the Pyrenees but Megan's letter (just above yours) is lovely and made me feel more relaxed! :) I am so excited as are so many of us that have got to know each other recently, many of whom have already started and some of us who are starting really soon. I leave SJPP on the 8th of May and I hope to be able to at least walk with, or near others, on those first few days. From what Megan says we'll be fine.

Megan, it is sooo nice to read how you are going. Have you got a blog?

Buen Camino!

Clarisa

PS Can't see a lot of you in this thread on the calendar below... :(

HI Megan,

I would just caution about posting fleece home... I used my fleece in July/Aug on many occasions. The meseta can get quite cold at night and in the morning...there were many mornings when I wished I had a pair of gloves! Also in Galicia I frequently used it - and it made a great pillow when there weren't any!

Glad to hear the weather has improved...enjoy Navarra - it is beautiful!

¡Ultreia!

Neil (and anyone else considering the variations beyond Sahagun)

I know this area well, and for healthy hikers I recommend the Roman Road, the "old way" that passes from Calzada del Coto through Calzadilla de Hermanillos. It´s The Road Less Traveled.

Contrary to popular belief you CAN stay at Hermanillos, and there are places to eat there. The water is fine. If you change your mind about the trek across the wilderness you can follow a connecting road for about 6 km. that will put you in Bercianos, back on the "main" Camino Frances (with the long line of trees and pavement and crowds... whoever said this is more "scenic" must have different standards!) Also, the junta has improved the road access on the end nearest Mansilla, so you now can take a half-kilometer access road over to Reliegos, too, if Mansilla is just too far away that day.

The Roman road isn´t to everyone´s taste. There are fewer fuentes, bars, refuges, shady spots, etc., and in the summer heat or pouring rain it can be really brutal out there. But for people who don´t mind a bit of lonely wilderness, there´s another face of the Camino available here.

(There´s also a cool and barely-used variation from Mansilla, via Sandoval, which lets you ford the Rio Porma instead of struggling with trucks across the narrow bridge in Puente de Villarente.)

So much to consider! I wish I was walking, but you guys keep coming to ME!

Rebekah de Moratinos

Deirdre said:
I would just caution about posting fleece home... I used my fleece in July/Aug on many occasions. The meseta can get quite cold at night and in the morning...there were many mornings when I wished I had a pair of gloves! Also in Galicia I frequently used it - and it made a great pillow when there weren't any!

thanks Deidre - i´m in pamplona now and just posted the stuff back when the weather turned cold! i have a long sleeve woollen top and a wind/rain jacket which is fine - if i get even colder i can use my silk long johns as well. worst case is that i buy something else, the fleece was an extra piece that i didn´t wear and really don´t need.

its amazing how much you want to simplify and anything that doesn´t have at least 2 uses is out!!!

had a bit of a moment this morning...what am i doing here...kind of thing - but a good 2nd breakfast and hobbling into pamplona has made it all ok again.

Yep, Sil, there is a long way to go yet, but i think my feet and muscles will be in good condition in a day or two, my mental state will change too, part of letting go of things i think!

hasta luego
Megan

sillydoll said:
Thanks Megan - thought he might have joined the Augustinian order and remained in Roncesvalles!
Keep warm, take it slow - you have a loooooonnnng.... way to go, girl!
Blessing,

hey Sil - another poem from Arn in the new Pamplona ¨Jesus y Maria¨ albergue - dated 18 April.

I finally feel like I´m in Spain after arriving in Pamplona. thanks for the reminder of the distance, trying not to rush but there seems to be a culture of getting up early and heading for the next Brierly destination!! I´m going to stop either before or after most of the stage ends he recommends - yesterday was a bit of a rush in Larrasonaña but Zubiri was a bit of an ugly place to stay so I thought I´d push on to there. Tomorrow may be Puenta la Reina or a taxi somewhere else!

adios
Megan

ethanday said:
Just in case I lose the original.

Smart move! I never thought of photocopying my passport. I'm going to do the same. Amazing what thoughtful tips you can pick up here! I may even photocopy my rucsack too, in case I lose that... :)

Setting off two weeks today.

Gareth

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
sillydoll said:
Yes, it's good to get some news of him. I too was wondering what happened to Arn, but it sounds like he's OK. It takes a while to work out where to find internet connections in some places. There again, it sounds like he's developing a new approach to communications, writing poetry in visitors' books :?

Gareth

Hi all,
Just like to endorse Rebekah's comments about the 'old road' via Calzada - it's so quiet and peaceful out there it's well worth the effort to go that way. Take water and food but you can get a bite and drink at Hermanillos and Mansilla is reachable in a day.
A tip for the refugio at Mansilla - if the weather is dry ask if you can sleep on a mattress outside - fewer snorers in an air-conditioned room with a view of the stars!
Buen Camino to all
Brendan

Well guys about photo copying the passport it might sound good but in the long run its not like the real thing. Plus who is going to accept the photo coped one Disneyland. Sorry guys but cannot see its viability cause its niel the realist.
Peace and hope to see some of you on the road. :|

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The CSJ of South Africa recommends that you email a copy of your passport, air tickets, travel insurance and credit cards to yourself. If they are stolen - or if you lose them - you will have a copy of all the details on hand to report them and apply for replacements.

nathanael said:
Well guys about photo copying the passport it might sound good but in the long run its not like the real thing. Plus who is going to accept the photo coped one Disneyland. Sorry guys but cannot see its viability cause its niel the realist.
Peace and hope to see some of you on the road. :|
Just my two cents... I lot my passport once, I had a copy of the photo page and showed it to the Norwegian embassy personnel.. I think it did help them in answering the question:

"This guy that showed up here with no ID, is really is a Norwegian citizen..."

... I got a new passport in about two hours. :)

Bottom line, it does not prove anything, but it helps!

Saludos,
Ivar

A photocopy really does help if you lose your passport.
I had my passport stolen in Madrid and spent the best part of a day waiting around in the British Consulate for them to ok an replacement (which I picked up 10 days later).
I had the number of my lost passport written in my pilgrims credential and once I remembered that it was there things were speeded up quite considerably.
Like a lot of precautions, it will maybe seem a bit excessive -right up until the moment something drastic happens to you! I would have said I was a seasoned traveller who knew how to take of my possessions but these thieves are PROFESSIONALS!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Niel,
I have travelled to Europe 8 times with students (not to mention myself!). The groups have been as small as 8 and as large as 28...and I carry a photocopy of every person's passport in my folder. If the passport is lost or stolen, having the photo page for identification and all the pertinent document information enables the Embassy/Consulate to replace the required document in a very short period of time (like hours).
While it is unlikely that anything will happen, sometimes it does (one student accidently left his passport in the drawer of the house where he was staying!) and having some sort of documentation is certainly better than nothing at all!
I would recommend that the slight effort of carrying one piece of paper could save hours or days of aggravation later on.
Just a thought.....

Ultreia,

I join the troop reporting lost passports but who had cleverly made photocopies. Losing my passport in Madrid two nights before my departure, I walked into the Canadian Embassy at 10.30 am, and showed them my photocopy (and my birth certificate, which was in my backpack). The consular assistant typed in my passport number, pulled up my file on her computer, and I had an emergency travel document by 4.00 pm. She told me that, without it, the delay would have been at least another day and possibly up to a week, which would have cost me a bundle in hotel and other costs.

Be as it may everyone but am not convinced over the photo copy of passport but each to his/her own. Hope to see some of you on the Camino.

n

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Peregrino-Niel, you are a strong, stubborn lad!!
Here is a prayer for your journey -written by St Gildas in the 6th C.

In health may I and all of my companions
safely arrive with no harm or injury .
May my boat be safe in the waves of the ocean,
My horses safe on the highways of the earth,
Our money safe as we carry it with us
to pay due heed to our poor necessities.
May our enemies fail to do harm to us,
However evil the counsels which inspire them,

In the eternal name of Christ our Master,
May my roads all lie plain before me,
Whether I climb the rugged heights of mountains,
Or descend the hollow depths of valleys,
Or trudge the lengthy roads op open country,
Or struggle through the thickets of dense forest:
May I walk always in straight ways and shining
to longed-for places . . .”

Buen camino!

nathanael said:
Be as it may everyone but am not convinced over the photo copy of passport but each to his/her own.
Sure: remain sceptical on that point, and don't photocopy your passport; but still you can photocopy your rucsack, in case you lose that. 8) You know it makes sense: "Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof" *

Gareth

*(G.G.King The Way of St James, 1920, Vol. III, p.419). This is a bit of a naughty quotation really: it appears in Walter Starkie (The Road to Santiago 1957) who quotes this from Georgiana King, but it doesn't seem to appear anywhere in her text! Miraculous really, because in her remarkably unfocused three volumes, she quotes every other trite phrase you can imagine, so why not this one...?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gareth Thomas said:
nathanael said:
Be as it may everyone but am not convinced over the photo copy of passport but each to his/her own.
Sure: remain sceptical on that point, and don't photocopy your passport; but still you can photocopy your rucsack, in case you lose that. 8) You know it makes sense: "Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof" *

Gareth

*(G.G.King The Way of St James, 1920, Vol. III, p.419). This is a bit of a naughty quotation really: it appears in Walter Starkie (The Road to Santiago 1957) who quotes this from Georgiana King, but it doesn't seem to appear anywhere in her text! Miraculous really, because in her remarkably unfocused three volumes, she quotes every other trite phrase you can imagine, so why not this one...? Was Starkie being ironic in 'quoting' this?

Hi to the Class of 2008! After talking about walking the Camino del Norte for months, I have finally committed to the journey and there's no turning back. I have 8 weeks before departure from Sydney to London and will find a way to Biarritz/Hendaye somehow....any suggestions appreciated. I was thinking along the lines of a cheap flight.
So walking in June/July I imagine it will be hot in the north. Should I still take some warm clothes? I made the mistake of posting off warm clothes on a previous walk only to have to buy more in Leon...cold and wet!
Does anyone know about the intensity of the hill climbs on the northern way and how do they compare with the Camino Francais. It's just that I am recovering from knee surgery...what the heck, it won't make any difference!
I'll take heed of the old saying, "Slow and steady wins the race."

Annie

Thanks for putting this post together, Arn. It's great to read notes from people who'll be part of the Class of 2008. I'm arriving in SJPP on May 21 and am hoping to complete the Camino by June 30. Since I'll be "alone" I'm anxious to meet up with folks who are also making the walk. I'm from Seattle, Washington USA and am totally pumped about this experience!

Sanford "Sandy" Brown

P.S. Arn, I note you're a sailor. Awesome! I just got back from a Pacific Ocean passage from Mexico to the Marquesas. What a great experience. I'd enjoy knowing more about your sailing experiences.

London to Biarritz:

If you land at Heathrow take a train via Paddington to Stansted, then Ryanair to Biarritz.

Buen camino!

but still you can photocopy your rucsack, in case you lose that.

Yo Gareth, wonder if that would work for weight loss...if I find thinner photos of me from whenever....I'd wind up looking like 'em??? Hmmmm must sit and meditate on this and perhaps ... :roll:

Guess I'm getting punchy here...only 22 days to go!

Went to the podiatrist and had fun w/large needles yesterday!! Revisit in 10 days to hopefully get a thumbs up....not that I would let anything short of amuptations stop me now!! Apparently my good friend Adrianne and I have variations of Neruo...itis or oma...I have the Neuritis in the right foot...Muy painful and she has Neruoma's in her feet...OUCH! apparently it's another sucky thing about being tall...or so the Drs are telling us! Your metetarsal bones can grind on each other and cause inflamation, Hot spots, but not blisters... although at this point...I'd almost take the damn blister! I know exactly what the heck to do for them!

Looking forward soo much...I'm gonna be eating TUMS soon!!

Buen Camino to all, Karin

Hello to all who read this post: we are leaving from Atlanta on May 10 and returning May 18. We are three sisters with our mother and her friend who was born in Galicia, left there at the age of 10 and will be making his first return there in 70 years. My mother, a hiker here in South Carolina, wanted to do the pilgrimage. However, she is quite ill with terminal cancer, we might be able to do a few miles a day. So we will not be walking much. But we will be praying for a miracle cure for her. If you want to offer us any suggestions or ideas, we will check to see what you have said.

janescooper said:
Hello to all who read this post... ...we will be praying for a miracle cure for her
You are in my prayers and in the prayers of others here. I am starting my pilgrimage in Worcester cathedral the day after tomorrow and walking all the way to Compostela. It is my intention to keep an intercession list for my daily walk prayers and your mother is now on it. Have a good journey yourselves.

Gareth
http://www.whizz-kidz-pilgrim.blogspot.com

I am excited and anxious all at once as we finish last minute preparation for us to leave tomorrow morning after 7 a.m. Mass. We fly out of Chicago and should start walking on May 3rd from SJdP. Hope to meet a few of you along the way. We are three couples hoping to have a very faith enhancing and fun Camino. I will post when we return in June and you can watch our progress on our blog.....http://www.elcamino.norsketech.com/ecblog/ecblog.html We hope to post when we can.
Ruth

Great Blog Ruth - you all look like pilgrims! Have a wonderful faith filled and fun prilgrimage all of you. We'll chart you progress until a safe arrival at the tomb of the Saint. Give him a hug from all of us.

Buen Camino a todo

John

€83,-
Hi Ruth!
Buen Camino to all of you! I enjoyed you blog - keep posting! And I haven't seen a brown (or any other colour) El Camino in years!

¡Ultreya!

Keith, hi there I believe we corresponded before I am from St. Catharines Ontario. I leave for Madrid on the evening of May 5th. will spend a few days in Madrid and hopefully leave for Pamplona and Roncesvalles either the 9 or 10 have not decided as yet since I truly enjoy Madrid. Who knows we may hook up somewhere along the way.I given myself about 34 days to complete the Camino and I leave Madrid on June 23rd. I plan to journey by train around the surrounding area of Madrid after the Camino since I will be in Spain a total of 48 days. Keep safe and enjoy as said hope to meet up.

Peace and joy always.

niel

Regarding a photocopy of your passport (and other key documents, like plane itinerary, reservations, credit card company phone numbers, etc.):

When I did the Camino last year (hard to believe how time flies), I did a somewhat paranoid 3-tier system.

1. I kept some paper docs in my backpack's water bag reservoir (wrapped in a plastic bag).
2. I made .pdf files of the docs and emailed them to myself so I could access them by computer if my pack was stolen.
3. I kept .pdf copies on an encrypted, password protected flash drive in my wallet.

NOTE: .pdf files are created via Adobe Acrobat. In the case of document copies, I made paper copies and then converted them into .pdf files with a scanner.

Anyway, I never needed to use them, but as others have said, the copies can make things a lot easier if a crisis arises... :arrow:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey there as we prepare to leave we are reminded of how we depend on certain things and then they don't come through. I am talking about the atmospheric rain coat. I had contacted the store in Madrid and they had promised me it would be available then at the last minute they don't have any so a word to the wise is sufficient get it while you can because it will not be saved. As it is I will probably get my ass wet on this Camino because I trusted it would be available. Sorry for being so blunt my friends but I am a bit stressed.

see you all soon.

n

It's time to throw my hat into the ring with the Class of 2008!!.I arrived in the UK from Canada
on Friday,2nd May and am going on to Madrid tomorrow,Tue. 6th.Usually I visit Salamanca before
going on to other destinations but tomorrow I plan to take the train direct to Pamplona,1505 from
Atocha arriving in Pamplona 1810,just in time to miss the bus to Roncesvalles!!So if there are any
pilgrims that have missed the bus and want to share a taxi be at Pamplona train station and look out for a guy with a safari type hat with a newly aquired 'forum member' badge neatly sewn on the
side.
This will be my second Camino,first was May/June 2006.
Best wishes to all pilgrims setting out at this,what I think,must be the best time of the year
to be in the north of Spain.....hope to meet up with some of you along the way.Les.

Hi to All:
Well, today I leave for Spain. After all the months of planning, thinking, packing and re-packing, it's time to "walk the walk." I would like to thank all of those veterans who provided valued advice and to the other "newbies", such as myself, for asking questions that I would not thought of. The journey is just beginning. Hope to see some of you along the way.
Keith :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bon Voyage Keith!! Your comment about the questions we didn't even think to ask, was funny, as I'd just said the same thing to another total newbie who logged in today! Sylvia is planning on a July Camino....Wishing and praying for all the best for you! DOn't forget to log on once in a while!

14 days behind you!!!
Buen Camino
Karin 8) :arrow:

Muy Buen Camino, Keith! ­¡Qué Santiago te bendiga!

We're currently in Singapore Airport, fleecing some internet time from the Apple store, and on our way finally. Land in England Wednesday night, fly to Biarritz on Sunday ready to start on Monday. Very very nervous about the undertaking, and realise that while we plan to make it to Santiago, the Camino may have other plans for us. Have got our tent with us after hearing how busy the Camino is at the moment. Hope to see some of you on the way. Jane & Guy

€46,-
Last minute advice.
Take it slow the first few days. Ease your body into walking every day. If your pack is too heavy, post stuff ahead to yourself as soon as possible. For the first week the terrain is a roller coaster of ups and downs and this is where most pilgrims pick up injuries. Even if you have a daily distance schedule, rather do shorter distances in the beginning - you will be able to catch up as you get fitter and when the terrain flattens out.
Have a wonderful, wonderful camino!

Hi Jane & Guy,
Part of your pilgrimage is just getting there! It is a wonderful adventure; savour and enjoy it!
Buen Camino,

€60,-
jane99 said:
Very very nervous about the undertaking, and realise that while we plan to make it to Santiago, the Camino may have other plans for us. Jane & Guy

Exactly what I've been thinking!! I'm so excited, anxious, nervous, I'm afraid to be around smokers, for fear when they light up....I'll explode! Only 8 more days and a wake up....this weekend I'll be repacking my backpack for the 3rd, and please God, last time!! We'll be doing one last "practice" hike...and then just staying busy...and occupied !

So as you begin the real deal on Sunday, we'll still be playing at it! We'll all be thinking of you and wish you all the best!

Karin :D , Raymond the Reluctant Pilgrim :) , Adrianne the Adventurer :D , and Joseph the Intrepid :D

Karin, know just how you feel!!!! Only 7 more sleeps and we on our way to Spain!!!!

Repacking the bags again tonight. Will probably be repacking them again and again during the next week.

Very excited but also quite nervous. Everyday I think of the people walking and try and imagine what they must be experiencing.

Ufff. You better get there fast- that waiting isn't doing any good to your nerves. Have a great time there!
Buen Camino!

€149,-
This time next week I will be walking out of a meeting at work....heading straight to my car...going home and picking up my pack..and heading for the airport!!! :D :arrow:

And depending on winning the lottery tomorrow.....when we get to Santiago from Portugal...making a hard right hand turn...and just keep going!! 8)

Hello!
I am from Finland. I'll start my Camino from SJPDP in the end of this month. I would be ready to leave now, but I still have to wait 10 days.

€46,-
Mina...Welcome to the Class of 2008!!!

I am going to use your message of beginning to write to all my Forum Friends about My Camino. I trust that's OK!

To All My Friends on the Forum,
It’s been a little over a week since I completed My Camino…No, since the Camino finished with me and it’s still working on me as if I were an unfinished project.
Over the months preceding my April 11th start in SJPDP I was a daily contributor to the Forum. I freely offered my impressions, tricks of the trade, spiritual/religious thoughts and beliefs and experience gained on long distance “walks” around the world. I believed the Camino would be but the latest opportunity to take a walk, see some sights, meet new people…complete the Camino and come home. Well, I did all the foregoing, but I’m not home yet. I’m still on the Camino, if not physically, mentally.
I’ve even begun to dream in Spanish and understanding all that’s being said.
I dream of the countryside, ever changing and always the same. I dream of arriving early at an albergue…so early I often had to wait to get my sello and bed assignment. I dream of the many fellow travelers and fantastic locals whom I met, spent time with, or ask for…and received assistance from. I dream of my near contempt for the ease I went up the steepest hills and my pride at the accomplishment. I dream of the fall on the rocky decent from the Perdon, where I had just made myself a member of the steel peregrinos, amid a downpour and biting wind. I dream of the food, the fantastic mixed salads, fresh asparagus and enormous anchovies. I dream of climbing up to the Cruz de Ferrous…it’s a dream because I never made it, instead passing by on the train out of Leon to Sarria. I dream and then I awake.
My first 120 km on the Camino were easy compared to my last 120 km. Although injured on the Perdon, I made it all the way to Estrella before I gave in and was forcibly driven to the Medico. His pronouncement was as expected…stop walking! I promised him I would give it some consideration as I walked to the next albergue. This was to be the drill all the way to Burgos. Walk…slowly, but walk. In Burgos, I returned to the Medico for a second opinion. As expected, it was the same with one twist…go home! I walked to the Cathedral and prayed for guidance and, it was clear…get rid of your hiking stick (the very one I used on my Appalachian Trail jaunt). But that wasn’t a Devine intercession aimed at fixing my knee, rather a clear message that I needed crutches, not to walk My Camino, but to be able to get to the train station, back to Madrid and home. So, assisted with forearm crutches I walked to the river and sacrificed my AT hiking stick to its rushing waters and set out again.
There’s a pattern to my last stage from Sarria to Santiago and, except for the changing landscape, albergues and fantastic folks I met, it changed little. I made 10-12 km a day, stopped early, started each morning about 0830 and stopped about 1230. I never stopped for breakfast, a cerveza or a vinotinto until I arrived at my next goal. I considered, on more than once occasion, taking a taxi just 10 km so I could rest my damaged knee. I wanted to stop the pain, but I didn’t want to stop walking. Three days out of Santiago, my worse fear appeared to become reality. My left leg went lame…temporarily. I must have cried out when it happened because a lady walking two hundred meters in front of me, turned around and came back to help. Within an hour I was moving again. Another trail angel to dream of and about. I stopped in each chapel and prayed to Santiago for the strength to finish. It didn’t matter how as long as it was under my own power and with His Grace.
On my last day, as I walked past the end of the airport runway and the directional light structures, I prayed…please, I’m so close…please don’t leave me. I arrived in a pouring rain at the Cathedral just in time for noon Mass. I was embarrassed that I was so dirty, wet and in shorts. I walked just far enough inside to stop in front of Santiago behind the barred case…and cried!
When I started My Camino it was more about Arn than I’d thought. And, now that I’ve finished the physical walking…it’s still about Arn. Santiago and the Camino continue to remake, re glaze and return me to the fire. It’s still about Arn and so much more. My family sees the change, my friends see the change and a lady dear to my heart has been moved to join with me at Vigil Mass last Saturday, make her first confession in over 15 years and take communion with me.
The Camino isn’t finished with me, nor am I finished with my story. I feel Blessed to have you all for friends and hope that you’ll forgive my previous bluster as the babblings of one that thought he knew everything, but now knows there’s so much more to understand.
Thank you ALL and Thank you Santiago!
Arn

Hullo Skattie,
We heard that you had hurt your knee and that you were on crutches. I am so sorry that the river-boulder-path down from the Alto del Perdon claimed another victim! Well done on reaching Santiago - now get that knee right so that you can walk the path again.
Big pilgrim hugs,

Great to hear from You Arn! You can really feel some magic, when listening to stories like yours. I hope your legs are much better now. Take care.
Kuba.

€46,-
:D He's BAAaaack!! :D

Wow, just wanted do a quick lookse as I came in from lunch..and what to my wondering eyes should appear!! Ahhh...now I have to sneak enough time to read your lengthy entry!....So good to see your little avatar and your name on the list Arn...

Karin

Arn said:
I’ve even begun to dream in Spanish and understanding all that’s being said.
Arn
How long have you been studing Spanish? I've studied a year now and I don't understand ALL. I still can't dream in Spanish, but hablo un poco de español. :)

Hello Arn, happy to hear from you.It is good to know all is well, now. Although I am relatively new to the Forum and reading and learning more than contributing with advice, sometimes it seems that I know you guys all! Next monday I leave from Rio de Janeiro, Brasil to Madrid and Roncesvalles. My backpack is ready and my badge, newly glued to it ! Hope to meet some of the forum members and have your prayers as well. Thank you, regards, Sumachado.

Mina..with the exception of some limited Spanglish...i.e Dos cerveza negra por favor and Adios...I know very little Spanish. My point being...I've learned enough Spanish on My Camino..to approximate an understanding...but only in my dreams.

Buen Camino

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.