• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2008!

Hi Alex,
One of the best things about my walk to Finisterre was visiting the lighthouse in the evening to see the sun set into the Atlantic Ocean. It was a glorious sunset and I sat there with a fellow pilgrim and we talked for hours about what we had done and seen in the previous weeks of our walk. It was the perfect end to the camino. However, it is three km out of town, so to make it to the lighthouse and back adds another 6 km to the journey that day. You may not be keen to walk the extra distance if you have already walked 45 km.
Have a great time in Spain
Buen camino
Alan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey!

My name is Katja and I am a student from Slovenia. It was on my mind for many years now to walk the Camino. I finally manage to organize everything and in a months time I will actually start the walk. So happy about it.
I am travelling to Biarritz on 30th Sept and from there taking the train to SJDP. I plan to arrive there in late afternoon. Would I still be able to get the pilgrim pass? I want to start walking on the 1st of Oct early in the morning.
How is the weather in October? What kind of clothes/shoes do you recommend? Will I manage to reach Santiago in 4 weeks? I could say, I am moderately fit :).
Is anybody else planing to walk in October? It would be nice to have some company.

Bye, K

Hello Katja - welcome to the forum.
How wonderful that you are going to walk the camino for the first time!
You can get your credential at the pilgrims' office, Accueil des pelerins de St-Jacques, 39 rue de la Citadelle - the main street in the old quarter of St Jean. The pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h.
Unfortunately, the albergue Esprit du Chemin closes at the end of September but the Accueil will frind you a place to stay.
October can be cold in the high places so take a few warm items.
4 weeks - 28 days - from St Jean is quite tough but if you are fit you can do it in 4 weeks. Just take it slowly the first week - shorter distances until you are fit and have settled into walking day after day. You can make up time and mileage on the flatter sections of the camino.
Have a wonderful walk!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
I'm about to buy my ticket or tickets next week to Spain and am hoping to start the Camino by the end of the first week of October. Up until about a week ago I didn't really know that much about the Camino itself only of the history etc. The more I read on this forum the more I'm glad I've made my deceision. So yes I'm going to be in he class of 2008 and am looking forward to it.... C

Hello again!

I leave for Biaritz and from there to SJPdP on Monday next (8th September). Excited and nervous at the moment. I'm sure I'm forgetting something :)

Hi All,

I'm arriving in SJPP on the 10th September from the U.K and plan to start the walk on the 11th. I am really excited about going now and can't wait to set off on my journey. Is there anyone else out there starting at the same time as me. If so, I hope to meet you over the coming weeks.

Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've been looking forward to thsi for several weeks or more and tomorrow after work I leave from a small town in Western Canada and arriving in Satander late in the afternoon on the 7th. I am excited and nervous and looking forward to getting past the travel and the connections and simply start walking.

Maybe I will see some of you in the next weeks?

John

Hi, Alex.

Sometimes is difficult to explain some little details about the Camino.

It's not just a race, It's ... what you want it is, but if you want to divide the about 90 km in two days, may be possible. Or not.

The first "official" stop is just at 21 km. Negreira. So, if you want to continue, there's no reason the remain there.

13 km later you arrive in Villaserio. You've walked about 34. It's OK, I've walked more dozens of times.

7 km later you are in Maroñas. ¿is there some place to sleep there? I DONT KNOW. 41 km.

In my opinion, if you want to walk in 2 days, you have to sleep here. If it's no possible no find albergue or hostal, it's upo to you to decide where to sleep. But, you are in a special galician area where is always, or raining or going to rain.

14 km. later you are in Olveiroa. Nice town, with a so nice albergue.
18 km. later, Cee. And 1,5 km. later, Corcubion, with the best albergue you can imagine (shhh, run by the galician association)
And, finally, 10,5 km. to Fisterra. And don't forget the last three km. until the faro, the real end of the Camino. And the last three km. back to the albergue.

So, 21+13+7+14+18+1,5+10,5=85. And don't forget the last 3+3=6. The best for you would be to walk 41 the first day and 44 the second + 6 to enjoy the puesta de sol.

In my opinion you wil enjoy it much more being a third day, this is the best (in my opinion) part of the Camino.

Take your choice, and ask if you need some help. And, of course,

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hey everyone need some info..just finished a 100 K walking in Canada with a group it took us 3 days.. first day we walked 45 K. so if I was able to walk 100 K in three days what was the K I walked from Roncesvalles to Burgos..it took me 11 days..this trip we slept in tents my own private..first time for me great experience scenery not as fabulous as Spain but as..
Thanks
niel :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hiya Neil - nice to hear from you again.
It is about 260kms from Roncesvalles to Burgos.

Well, we are about to become members of the class of 2008 - only two days and three sleeps until departure - EXCEPT that currently the Tunnel under the Channel is closed after a fire and we are booked with our bicycles on the 11.10 am departure on Monday morning, to arrive in Paris in time for a mid-afternoon TGV to Reims. Last time I heard the news they were saying the tunnel might be closed all weekend!

Still, a pilgrimage is about taking the journey as it comes, and if the planned route doesn't work out, we'll just have to work out another.
If we have to cross London,on our laden bikes, on a weekday, though, that could be a real test!

Apart from worrying about that, we have been discussing (by email) with our vicar Tim the words for our pilgrim blessing in church on Sunday morning.
Our blog is at http://www.buchaneers7.wordpress.com

Greetings all, i will be leaving San Francisco for the Camino in mid September, starting my journey in St Jean on or around september 26th. I will be allowing my self 35-40 days to complet my journey, hoping that the october weather keeps a bit warm (at least occasionaly!). I am hoping to cross over the Nepolean route into spain, will this be doable during this season? If for sure looks to be the most beautiful of the routes. Bed bugs, get thee behind thee!!.....it seems as though one is called for a trip like this, in contrast to most of my other world travels. I am looking forward to meeting many beautiful people on the path! Johnny

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
johnnyesparto said:
... I am hoping to cross over the Nepolean route into spain, will this be doable during this season? ...

Check the weather when you arrive in St Jean and ask then. And during the first etapa to Roncesvalles be careful with arrows, be sure you are not getting lost.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi Class of 2008,

my girlfriend and I will be arriving by train from Barcelona on thursday (18th September 08) in Leon to start our journey.

Hope to meet some of you on route!

Nigel and Arancha

Do you recognize it? Yes- it's our Gareth. I have found it in the guest book in Navarette (was it?). Good job Gareth;)

Attachments

• gareth.JPG
    gareth.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 509
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
kubapigora said:
Do you recognize it? Yes- it's our Gareth. I have found it in the guest book in Navarette

Ah! That brings back memories... A very hot day. Shortly before arriving at Navarrete, after walking past that fence by the motorway with all the wooden crosses intertwined in the mesh, and adding one more to the collection, I scrambled up the hill to the great bull billboard to take photos of it close-up. A difficult climb in the blazing sun: as if the Camino itself was not a challenge enough! http://picasaweb.google.com/garethomas/4RoncesvallesToBurgos#5260806406062319058

I look back on the marathon Worcester to Compostela walk with affection, but also in pain, as my two stress-fractured big toes continue to click their way through the day... I wonder if they will ever heal? Buen Camino, and don't overdo it!

Gareth

This will teach me to not check in more frequently! Gareth!! :) Reading all of the notes and blogs...reminds me of the work to be done before I attempt again! Work besides figuring out how I'm going to take that much time off from work! (Like maybe find another job??!!) Wishing one and all Buen Camino...where ever your Camino is at the moment!

With great and heartfelt affection for all who helped make this year my first Camino Year. Hopefully one of many more to come. THANK YOU!! You will all be in my prayers!

Karin :D

ksam said:
figuring out how I'm going to take that much time off from work!

I know... That's the way I used to think about it. But things suddenly change and opportunities open up.

I first walked some of the Camino - long before it was properly marked - with a Spanish youth organisation when I was in school in Franco's Spain in the 1960s. (Better not say too much about that: remembering those particular uniforms and salutes is a bit embarrassing forty years on... It was all a bit like living in the 1930s :( )

Then I walked bits of the Camino and hitch-hiked bits of it, in Anglican Franciscan habit twenty years ago. I don't remember seeing many people walking, and there certainly wasn't any infrastructure of albergues. I stayed at a presbytery in Ponferrada and cheap pensiones elsewhere.

Then in recent times, I cycled it from Canterbury, via Le puy, walked it from St Jean, then walked it in winter from O Cebreiro...

At the back of my mind there was always the question of what would it be like to walk all the way from England to Compostela, but I thought it could never happen. It was exactly what you said about having to change your job; but suddenly, unexpectedly, I had a gap in my life to fill. Several months between things.

The walk took me three months altogether. I'll never do it again, not the whole way from England. It isn't necessary anyway: it is a once-in-a-lifetime event, I think. But again, I would urge caution. I had no idea what damage I was doing to my toes, and it continues to be painful living with these stress fractures. So take care everyone. (Just an idea.... :idea: Has anyone ever tried walking on large bed-springs?)

Gareth

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey all, esp Gareth! I do seem to remember, watching youtube, a young man from Brasil, doing the entire route on a unicycle...so guess a pogo stick might work?? :D

Hello

I am carrying out some research for a radio documentary about the scallop.
We are hoping to talk to pilgrims and people involved in the scallop industry - preferably someone who incorporates both of these things ie a scallop diver about to set off on the camino...

I'd appreciate any help, hints or tips that anyone can offer - no matter how small/seemingly irrelevant

Thank you!

Don't forget pictures of the houses sided w/scallop shells! :D although..now that I rethink...photos..radio...guess that won't work...honorable mention perhaps???

ksam said:
Hey all, esp Gareth! I do seem to remember, watching youtube, a young man from Brasil, doing the entire route on a unicycle...so guess a pogo stick might work?? :D

I remember two years ago, sitting at a bar table outside that first albergue in Hontanas, watching people walking slowly down the hill into the village in the mid-afternoon August sun. A group of nuns arrived - together with a parish group including children - and one of the nuns was carrying an inflatable green crocodile. I looked at my beer - just to check - but I had only drunk half of it.

If, at that point, the young man from Brasil had arrived on his unicycle, I would have gone to seek professional counselling...

Gareth

Scallop Researcher said:
preferably someone who incorporates both of these things ie a scallop diver about to set off on the camino

Judging from the lack of response so far, from scallop divers about to set off on the Camino, this would appear to be a rare combination. A shame, but such are the times we live in.

Gareth

I spent a few days after my Camino Frances in the fishing village of Muros. Out there in the bay (and in just about every inlet in Galicia) were the floats where mariscos are "farmed." If we wanted a particular kind of sea creature for our dinner we could tell the man on the dock, who would send a couple of boys down in their scuba gear to seek and find it (octopus and urchins were big this way. And it´s no fun, watching the poor octopus being beaten to death on the rocks...). So I wonder how many "scallop divers" there are out there, at least the kind of divers this guy is looking for...and how many of them, paid per fish, can afford to take off 6 weeks to hike across Spain?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In the latest issue of AMIGOS - (CSJofSA newsletter) - the editor wrote an article about finding scallop shells the size of her hand on the beach at Hermanus.

I walked my first Camino alone in 2005. The scallop shells became meaningful. They pointed the way and I found my way alone across Spain for 800km without ever getting lost. The shell signified that I was on the right path. Soon after I returned I was walking on the beach at Hermanus and lying at my feet was a lovely grey scallop. I was astonished as I had never known these shells were found here. Soon I was spotting them quite often. Of course they were always there; my eyes had just been opened. I collected them whenever I saw one. They held the meaning of being on the right path. I walk most often at Muizenberg beach, down towards Strandfontein, with my two spotty dogs. This beach is not known for shells. We only ever see white mussels. After the terrible storms of 30 August which coincided with spring tide, Ron, my husband, and I went for a walk. The beach was littered with debris – seaweed, red bait, dead fish and birds. Then suddenly – the biggest scallop I’d ever seen! It was the size of my hand. I shouted to Ron – and he held up an even bigger one! We found nine that day. In the days to follow we found over forty! We really are on the right path!

Perhaps you don't need to be a diver to find scallops on the beaches of Galicia - just wait for a storm or, ride your horse into the breakers as did the Knight who fell into the sea and arose, covered in scallop shells?

Sweet, go for a swim and come back w/dinner in tow!! :D

Karin

To the Class of 2008,

You have made your mark and many have been marked by the Camino.

It doesn't matter if your first step didn't lead all the Way to Santiago..it only matters that you began a fantastic journey of the mind, the heart and the Body. Know that each and every one of you are a success of desire, if not of fact.

To my many friends, both on the Forum and along the Way...Sil, Vinotinto, Gareth, Rebekah, Deirdre, Karin,Javier, Johnny Walker, Francois, Susanne, Irene, Xande, Nunz, Sam and of course Ivar.

Hat tip

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Arn,

You will always be remembered as one of our mentors in 2008.

This evening we bid farewell to 2008 and wish all those in the Class of 2009 a buen camino. Looking back over the year the camino tested many of us. Some met their goals others found the goal posts shifted as they walked their caminos. Whatever the personal experience, we all achieved something and our lives have been enriched by the experience. In some way we owe a great vote of thanks to the people who make up this forum for their unswerving advice, support and encouragement. Happy New Year to you all and, as Sil would say, "hugs".

Rose Louise

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Happy New Year to everyone on this site.

You have given me pleasure and inspiriation in equal measure.

I'm proud to have done my camino this year. I'll definitely be back for more.

Good luck, health and happiness to you all - especially those who walked their Camino this year and those planning to be in the Class of 2009.

I am probably one of the first of the Class of 2008 to enter the New Year, being just over the dateline, and am about to go out to the city Square where we will have a concert and fireworks. It has been a warm sunny day, but showers are promised this evening...... let's hope we get to midnight first!

Happy New Year to you all. Thank you for all the advice and encouragement I have received along the way via this forum. And to all the other members of the Class of 2008, the door may be closing on our Camino year, but I know the experience lives on for all of us in our hearts.
All the best now to the Class of 2009!
Margaret

Happy New Year to all!

As the New Year begins around the world, I am glancing back through the many pages of this thread. A year's (plus) worth of Camino friends are contained right here.

Every time I open this web page it is like stepping back onto the path again. I revisit etapas, towns, albergues, wines (wherever did Vinotinto disappear???) laughs and tears. Although we come from myriad places in life and parts of the world, we share the commonality of having experienced and accomplished this amazing feat that is the Camino de Santiago. It continues to work through us all here.

I have made so many friends through both the Camino and this forum. I have had the distinct pleasure of meeting some of you personally and others through email or messages. I am not going to try to name you individually because surely I shall inadvertently leave someone out...but I do want to thank Ivar for all the work he does to make this forum what it is. I wish you a safe, happy and properous 2009. May God bless you all.

Buen Camino,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To the Class of 2008, Mucho Gracias! You have been a part of a wonderful and amazing year! There is no way I could put into a reasonable length entry, what you've all meant to me! So I'll just let it rest by wishing you all the best of what you've had this year, for the upcoming year. (Or for those in Australia - Rose Louise et al! the year your already in!!)

I've spent time thinking about what and how I've changed over the past year and how the Camino was a part of it. The changes are enough that it will take some time to fully realize. Of course living with less is such a huge part of it...so it's off to the basement, the attic, the garage, the kitchen and all! Clearing, getting rid of and living with so much less stuff, but living so much more!!

And a special thanks to Ivar for making this place possible! Vielen Dank!

Karin :arrow:

I ended up being of the Class of 2007 and 2008 and in May, 2009. It has been the excitement shown in this forum that has propelled me on. Each one of your notes ignites a memory for me that warms me over. It's funny, this cyber world where I can thank you all for being a part of my life. My new year will be spent with a glass of wine while soaking in my tub lit by candles. Dreaming of what I will accomplish in 2009.
Dream on
Love you guys!!
Lillian

As I return from Church to my farm and its fields,
the main house remains adorned in festive lights,
a chime tinkles in the breeze.

From the chimney,
a strong ribbon of white-grey smoke twists its way toward the heavens
and fields of bright stars
the Compostela,
The Way

Happy New Year my friends!

Arn

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.