• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2010

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Time to sign up!

January from St. Jean Pied de Port (unless I get cold feet).

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008.
"It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there are a significant number of fellow pligrims in the mid- to final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we perigrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.
The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2008!
Buen Camino
Arn"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not sure when...but either spring or fall....decidedly NOT during the high season!! Would like to do the CF this go round! Karin

Tentatively planning on the route from Valencia-Toledo-Zamora-Ourense-SDC.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Look at me almost at the head of the class, that's a first!! :oops:

My plans are to start from Le Puy in the first week of March and once I arrive in Saint Jean Pied de Port I plan to go north and walk the Camino del Norte, hoping to avoid the Holy Year mob by walking early and avoiding the Camino Francais . I believe in the slowly ..slowly... stop and smell the roses method, as a good friend says there isn't any reason to rush the Apostal has been there for over a 1000 years and he will be there when you arrive, so I will allow myself at least 10 weeks to reach Santiago.

Ultreia !! Ultreia !!

Hello,
next week I´ll have my eye operation (keratoconus). I´m a bit nervous about it. For a few months I can´t do anything physically challenging. So, training will continue sometimes in November/December. I just add my starting day to the pilgrim calender. There´s something special in the future to wait for.This forum is a life saver!
-T-

Timo..good luck and best wishes and prayers for your eye surgery. Just do everything they tell you to do, the road will be there waiting!

God bless & keep,
Karin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After all the winter tales, I AM getting cold feet on a January start! It might be prudent to push back to November and finish in early January. Snow covered waymarks and blizzards are not that attractive to me. There must be a reason January and February are slow months on the Camino! I am pondering that now.

I have scheduled vacation starting Jan 7, 2010, probably for the Via de la Plata. My hope is for good weather (isn't it always?).

I am hoping to walk some of the Camino del Norte next May. I think I will really be Class of 2011 as we plan to walk the Camino Inglés then (DV), so 2010 is only a begining.
Look forward to reading about others plans and hopes for next year.
Tia Valeria

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
June 2010 either the Frances or the Via...still not sure I want to compete with all the other pilgrims on the Frances and so I may choose the Via.

Every time I talk about the camino I get excited.

Michael

I'm planning an August 16th take off from Somport! This time I'll be travelling with a friend I met during my camino last year so it will be quite a different one, and also, with wisdom, I will have no fear about what lies ahead but enjoy the path right there under my feet and the moment!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure if I'll be class of 2010 or 2011. I'd like to attempt the Camino Ingles initially. Living in England I've thought of flying from Stansted to Santiago, bus to Ferrol, then walk back to Santiago. If I manage that, I'd think about going to Finisterre before returning home. Anyone done this? How was it? Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

Welcome to the forum Roxanne. It is good to hear of some-one else thinking of walking the Camino Inglés.
Roxanne1944 wrote
Living in England I've thought of flying from Stansted to Santiago, bus to Ferrol, then walk back to Santiago
Stanstead is not easy for us as we live in the South West of England. We are thinking about the ferry from Plymouth to Santander as foot passengers, then train or bus along the north coast to Ferrol. The return from Santiago to Santander might be more difficult. Like Roxanne hints/tips on this and the Camino Inglés generally would be appreciated.
At present this would be for 2011, with parts of the Camino del Norte as preparation in 2010
Tia Valeria

I'm tentatively have from the 13th of May 2010 starting in St. Jean Pied de Port and with God's help and mercy will try to finish no later than the 16th of June 2010 in Santiago, even though I'd love to go all the way to Finisterre, maybe in another year... 8)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
goonerpilgrim said:
I'm tentatively have from the 13th of May 2010 starting in St. Jean Pied de Port and with God's help and mercy will try to finish no later than the 16th of June 2010 in Santiago, even though I'd love to go all the way to Finisterre, maybe in another year... 8)

Three of us from Texas are also starting Mid May 2010 in St. Jean Pied de Port, can't wait :D

September 2010 with -- hopefully -- 5 good friends. Planning to do the CF but am still undecided about our starting point, since it seems most of them can only take 3 weeks off at most. We'll probably have to mix walking with the occasional bus ride...

I've already done Sarria-SdC and Tui-SdC previously, so I guess this time I will be the "veteran"...? :)

Tia and Roxanne -

This year we took a bus from Santiago to Ferrol (9.90 €), then a bus again from Santiago to Bilbao (56.68 €). I can't remember if there was a train, but I thought the bus was very reasonable.
Buen Camino!

lynne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Now planning on doing the Camino Ingles with three others the last week of May 2010 and then do one or two weeks by car around Northern Spain. I haven't done any hiking in Europe like this since the summer of 1969 so I am already trying to get in shape. But, it's tough when you are a geezer.

Hi,
I start my walk, Sunday, Sept. 20, from Leon. I'm taking a 10 day walk with a small touring company that arranges all reservations and baggage transportation. I know this may not be the traditional method of walking the Camino but still I'm very excited and want to receive my certificate for doing the last 100 miles.
For me, this is a spiritual journey I've waited many years to complete. Anyone know what the weather will be like, summer like or fall?
Nancy

Hi Nancyk,
They say that Autumn i.e. from late Sept on usually has the most stable weather conditions for the Camino Frances. A friend of mine walked in late Sept and early October and had frost on the ground in the mornings (early starter!) and hot sun by 10 am which was perfect for her.She walked in shorts but on some evenings needed a fleece and long trousers.
Have a wonderful Camino and savour every step. :)
Bonne route
Nell

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Despite some warnings, I'll be braving the crowds in the high season so as to arrive in Santiago in late July, beginning in SJPdP. I was apprehensive about going during the busy season in a holy year, but I'm excited now and I realize that it's quite possible some of the challenges I'll face may be a part of the grand plan. ;) I'm beginning my preparations now and I'll be going with my friend Nelle. We're both from New England.

I'll be buying a patch for my pack so as to recognize other forum pilgrims!

<3 Lindsay

twigsandribbons said:
I'll be buying a patch for my pack so as to recognize other forum pilgrims!
<3 Lindsay
The patch is great! It help the recognition of friend you may not know otherwise. Although I have figured out that most of us are friends already. We just didn't know it. ;)
Nicole

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
BPS,
You will have company.
I plan to walk the VdlP starting from Seville in mid-April 2010.
Will have to figure out what to do over the week of Easter.
Spaniards take a holiday and lots go to the Camino for a few days.

I have a Spanish course on CD and new boots but am not using them yet.
That will come.

David, Victoria, Canada

Dave, I'll look for you on the camino as well as on the trails in Victoria - you can find me training on the "galloping goose" most days.

Bill, Victoria, Canada

I plan to walk from latter part of April to end of May with my sister, who will turn 70 on June 3, we want to arrive home in Canada for her Birthday.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
May 2010: We have been looking at maps, trains and buses and now think that it should be possible to walk for a few days on the Norte and then catch a train to Grado to walk part of the Primitivo at least as far as Tineo.
May 2011: The Camino Inglés is our aim; the route from Ferrol to Santiago. Any further posts re our plans will go in the Pilgrim Introduction section under 'Introducing Tia Valeria'
Meanwhile I need to keep training!! and Terry is very encouraging. (The weblink :arrow: has notes on our preparations.)
Happy walking,
Tia Valeria

Wow I don't believe it planning for the 2010 Camino..I guess I was ready and willing to do it again once I arrived home from the Camino July 6th.As someone said it gets in your blood..It was hard but rewarding in a special way..the people and friends you make and meet is awesome..yes there were some devils on the road also...but we forgive and love them nevertheless.Hope to start this time in St. Jean rather than on the Spanish side..probably in May or June. Also am better equiped this time taking Spainish lessons. ciao and best of travel to all.
n

We have just booked our tickets for May 2010 - as foot passengers - on Brittany Ferries.
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Several people have posted their intentions to walk nex year but haven't said on which route....don't forget to add this to your posts

Hi everyone, I'm doing the CF from SPP mid May 2010. First time in Europe, first time doing the camino. Grew up in Brazil but been living in Australia for many years now. Going alone, two sisters have done it before. Would love to connect to other people in Australia or anywhere in the world planning to do the same.

aussieval said:
Hi everyone, I'm doing the CF from SPP mid May 2010. First time in Europe, first time doing the camino. Grew up in Brazil but been living in Australia for many years now. Going alone, two sisters have done it before. Would love to connect to other people in Australia or anywhere in the world planning to do the same.

I'm starting from SJPdP around the same time as you, my plans are to arrive in Paris, take the TGV to Bayonne and then the local train to SJPdP. My backpack will have the Forum's badge, so I should be easy to spot. We can keep in touch if you so desire!

¡Buen Camino! :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of starting sometime in early or mid March 2010. Full trail, starting at StPP. I'm hearing warning of poor weather usually for that time, but its just an added challenge. I'll have been snowboarding the few weeks before so I'll hopefully be used to the cold.

This will be my first time on the Camino or any sort of trail longer than 5 days. I'm getting super excited, just hope I'm not forgetting any crazy details. Let me know if anyone else is starting that time.

Cheers
Graham

Victoria, BC, Canada

Greetings everyone hoping to do the Camino again in June of next year this time staring in St. Jean pied du Port. Have had some problems long in and had to request my password anyone else having problems. Nevertheless look forward to meeting anyone starting June..Buen camino.
n

nathanael said:
Have had some problems long in and had to request my password anyone else having problems. Nevertheless look forward to meeting anyone starting June..Buen camino.
n
I had to log in as well: I think it has to do with the domain name being changed.
Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
KiwiNomad06 said:
nathanael said:
Have had some problems long in and had to request my password anyone else having problems. Nevertheless look forward to meeting anyone starting June..Buen camino.
n
I had to log in as well: I think it has to do with the domain name being changed.
Margaret
Yes, "saved" passwords are forgotten and you have to log in again due to this.

Use this link if you have forgotten your password:
ucp.php?mode=sendpassword

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

Hi,Barry from San Diego, CA. I plan on starting my Camino in mid March 2010. My main concern at this time is the weather in the mountains fm SJPdP to Roncesvalles. Presently I don't have a time frame to complete in that I am retiring from the fire dept in Dec and am not under any type of time restraints.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At the Pilgrim Office in SJPP they hand out a sheet that gives a map and directions for going from SJPP to Roncesvalles, either by the low route via Valcarlos, or the higher Napoleon Route. Even in mid-April people have encountered storms that have made the higher route impassable/dangerous, so it is hard to know what things will be like mid-March until you get there. The locals in SJPP will give you advice at the time.
All the best and happy planning!
Margaret

BHfmSanDiego said:
Hi,Barry from San Diego, CA. I plan on starting my Camino in mid March 2010. My main concern at this time is the weather in the mountains fm SJPdP to Roncesvalles. Presently I don't have a time frame to complete in that I am retiring from the fire dept in Dec and am not under any type of time restraints.

Hi, Barry from San Diego CA, and other Class of 2010 travelers. At this time I am hoping to walk the full Camino de Santiago over about nine weeks commencing in mid-March. From the posted blogs there maybe a number of people who will be venturing off from SJPP mid-March which will only add to the overall thrill of walking the Camino. Could anybody let me know how I can contact other pilgrims who plan to set off mid-March from SJPP. It would certainly add a level of confidence to walk with other pilgrims from JJPP to Roncesvalles at that time of the year (mid-March). Look forward to hearing from fellow 2010 pilgrims.
JIMR Sydney Australia

JIM RUMING said:
BHfmSanDiego said:

Hi, Barry from San Diego CA, and other Class of 2010 travelers. At this time I am hoping to walk the full Camino de Santiago over about nine weeks commencing in mid-March. From the posted blogs there maybe a number of people who will be venturing off from SJPP mid-March which will only add to the overall thrill of walking the Camino. Could anybody let me know how I can contact other pilgrims who plan to set off mid-March from SJPP. It would certainly add a level of confidence to walk with other pilgrims from JJPP to Roncesvalles at that time of the year (mid-March). Look forward to hearing from fellow 2010 pilgrims.
JIMR Sydney Australia
Hi Barry,

Take a look at the Camino Calendar (link at the bottom of each page):
pilgrim-calendar.html
..and add you travel plans. You may find others traveling at the same time.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hallo everybody,
like omar504 me and wife Elisa plan to stat in Valencia along the Camino de Levante sometimes second half of April .
Giorgio

My wife and I plan on walking the Camino in mid-March from SJPP. Praying and hoping it the weather will be cooperative, but we will be prepared for the worst!!

I'm looking at a winter camino -- the Camino Frances Via Roncesvalles starting sometime in mid-December. (depends on weather)
This pilgrimage has been seven years in the making! So excited!

H
North Carolina, USA

I see everyone is excited and so you should. I completed Camino Francis in two terms, now I plan to do the hold thing again. Once you do it it's addictive and it is. This time I would like to try to do the Tunnel route which hooks up with Camino Frances. I just would like to do something different in order to see more of Spain. I plan to start in June.
Hope to see some of you.
n.

Greetings to everyone, I will also venture on the road again this summer completed the Camino Frances in two seasons this summer was the best of all. I would like to venture on the Tunnel route which I believe joins onto the Camino Frances. If anyone has any info on this route please let me know. I plan on being on the road by June 1st. Good venture to all.
n.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I once said that I can understand why people do the Camino but not why they would want to do it again-now I do, so I will be a repeat offender this time from Le Puy some time in April and see how far I get.
there said it now-so got to do it!
Ian

Re: Class of 2010 - Updating my previous post

My plans are to start walking La Voie du Puy from Le Puy-en-Velay on the first day of March. In an earlier post I said that I had planed to walk the Del Norte once I reached St-Jean-Pied-De-Port, this plan has changed, now I plan to walk to St-Jean-Pied-De-Port in 2010 and save the Del Norte for another year. To escape the Canadian winter and get in some practice walking I have rented an apartment in Beziers in the south of France for the month of February. The Canal du Midi goes through Beziers and there is a well used walking trail that follows the Canal, I plan to do some longer walks on this trail, 3 to 4 days at a time. I also have a Topoguide book,"L'Herault...a pied. Du Haut Languedoc a la Mediterranee" which has detailed maps and directions for 54 Promenades et Randonnees, in the region. I hope to be able to walk several of those also.

Another advantage of spending February in the south of France is, it will be much easier to keep tabs on weather conditions in Le Puy and L'Aubrac region.

Is there anyone else out there that plans to start this route in early March?

JohnnieWalker said:
From Le Puy? This time I'll buy you two Johnnie Walkers when you get to Santiago!
right your on-a good incentive to get to Santiago.
I will be a few weeks behind you Dale so good luck and if you get a chance to post any "live from the camino" I would be grateful.
Ian

Also want to the CF this time around. Thinking Sept/ October 2010. Any thoughts out there...

Did the VdP in 2004.

I will be a few weeks behind you Dale so good luck and if you get a chance to post any "live from the camino" I would be grateful.
Ian

Thanks Ian. Right now I'm thinking about posting to my blog when ever I find a computer:

http://dalecaldersblog.blogspot.com/

Walking in early March a lot of the Gite d'Etape havent opened for the season so I'm not sure how often I will find internet access, but I will try to post and upload a photo or two when ever possible.

Dale

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My mother and I plan to walk El Camino del Norte in July-August 2010.
She is in her 50s and lives in South Australia, while I am in my mid 20s and live in Canberra. She has walking experience, while I bring the Spanish skills!
Thanks for all the tips; I look forward to getting to know you all.
Kirra

Hi,
I am planning to walk from astorga to Santiago 1st April 2010 to 18th April 2010, which is over the Easter holidays. I am finding it difficult to get information on bus timetables from Santiago to astorga to get to the beginning of the walk. (Where I left off in September). Can anyone help? :

Hi Happygolucky, :) and welcome to the Forum.
Re Buses Santiago/Astorga I think that if you go to the ALSA website you should get some satisfaction - they run a very good service across Spain. You may possibly have to change buses but I think you will be ok.
Best wishes for both your planing and walking.
Brendan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be walking in April 2010, doing the Camino Frances. Still unsure of a start time, but hoping to avoid the Easter crowds. Hmmm. I may have to push it closer to May....(wandering off to look at the calendar.....). I will be traveling solo, looking forward to some solitude and also time with new friends! I am an extrovert by nature and rather friendly, even if my spanish language skills are lacking! Hope to see some of you on the trail. I will be wearing a forum patch, just ordered it today!

renegadepilgrim said:
I will be walking in April 2010, doing the Camino Frances. Still unsure of a start time, but hoping to avoid the Easter crowds. Hmmm. I may have to push it closer to May....(wandering off to look at the calendar.....). I will be traveling solo, looking forward to some solitude and also time with new friends! I am an extrovert by nature and rather friendly, even if my spanish language skills are lacking! Hope to see some of you on the trail. I will be wearing a forum patch, just ordered it today!

Hello! I'll also be walking April 2010. I suggest you get your tickets soon! Since it is the Holy year next year i believe the prices of the flights will increase quite a bit in the coming weeks/months. Hope to see you on the trail! I can't wait to start on my camino=)

chrisngoi said:
renegadepilgrim said:

Hello! I'll also be walking April 2010. I suggest you get your tickets soon! Since it is the Holy year next year i believe the prices of the flights will increase quite a bit in the coming weeks/months. Hope to see you on the trail! I can't wait to start on my camino=)

True, but it's only a Holy Year for the camino, not the rest of the Catholic Church....I'm dovetailing this trip into an around the world ticket, so I'm not too worried about prices right now. Where are you from? I live on the West Coast of the US, so it's gonna cost me a lot to get to Europe no matter when I buy my ticket!

haha well that's true. but since it is the holy year next year in the camino, perhaps the returning flight out of santiago will cost more? haha anyway i'm from singapore!

chrisngoi said:
haha well that's true. but since it is the holy year next year in the camino, perhaps the returning flight out of santiago will cost more? haha anyway i'm from singapore!

Possibly....I am still figuring out where I am going to go after my camino. :) London or Dublin are high on my list....so is Stockholm. I have friends in those places. I'm planning on Croatia, Israel, Uganda, India, Thailand, Japan, and Mexico, as well. I figure RTW ticket will run me about $3500 USD.

Perhaps our paths will cross on the camino....that would be awesome!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: Class of 2010 from Le Puy

So am I the only nut walking from Le Puy next March...... How lonely will I be??? :(

Hello to all! I am Marianna from Montreal and I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in May-June. Its my first walking experience and also traveling 'alone' experience (I am 18) that's why I chose the trodden path. I hope that by starting in May I will avoid the crowds, if not..they re not going to stop me :)

Also, I wanted to complement this forum a little :) Truly, it is reaaly useful and full of nice pilgrims willing to share their experiences...if the atmosphere on the Camino is as friendly as it is on the forum then i am going to have a very nice walk :)

Hello to all! I am Marianna from Montreal and I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in May-June. Its my first walking experience and also traveling 'alone' experience (I am 18) that's why I chose the trodden path.

Welcome Marianna from a fellow Canuck. You will have the experience of a life time and meet lots of other young adults to share your experience with. Buen Camino !! :lol:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello

I was a memeber of the Class of 2008 and then thought I would join the Class of 2011 as I had heard that the Camino would be quite crowded in 2010. Now I am thinking that I will do the Camino next year as I owuld like to but by one of the less travelled routes. Not sure which one yet as there are many each with its own character but it seems like a good year to get off the beaten path.

John

Hereby joining the class of 2010 and planning for the Camino Portugues in April the 30th of 2010 from Porto to Santiago. Hope to make it to Santiago in about 12 days and will spend 3- 4 days in Santiago before going back home.
annie
hope to meet some other forum members in Santiago!!!

Hola Annie and all other 2010 pilgrims

If you can plan to spend even a few days in Santiago at the ned of your Camino why not help out as a volunteer in the Pilgrim's Office? Next year they will need al the help they can get!

Regards

John

JohnnieWalker said:
Hola Annie and all other 2010 pilgrims

If you can plan to spend even a few days in Santiago at the ned of your Camino why not help out as a volunteer in the Pilgrim's Office? Next year they will need al the help they can get!

Regards

John

I might do volunteer and work a couple of days in the Pilgrim`s Office. First I have to book my tickets so I can plan more before the camino. My Spanish is not fluent yet but I am working on it by taking evening classes. What would be the needed qualifications to be a volunteer...
annie

LATER just correcting some spelling mistakes

Greetings!

My name is Maru Gonzalez. I'm twenty-six and from Atlanta, Georgia! I will begin the Via de la Plata in early June 2010. This will be my third time doing the Camino (I hiked the Camino Frances in 2008 and 2009). Is anyone else planning to start the Via during that time? I assume more folks will opt for the Via because of Holy Year. Has anyone hiked this route before? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Peace and Buen Camino,

Maru :)

anniethenurse said:
I might do volunteer and work a couple of days in the Pilgrim`s Office. First I have to book my tickets so I can plan more before the camino. My Spanish is not fluent yet but I am working on it by taking evening classes. What would be the needed qualifications to be a volunteer...
annie

Annie - here is my experience in the Pilgrims' Office -

http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot. ... -back.html

Good luck

John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Planning to walk the Camino in April but it seems as if it will shift to autumn.
So, here I am, a new member of the class of 2010! :D

Hi everybody, happy to join the class of 2010. But which path...? Not sure yet. I planned to continue the Francés I started on last year, to go in May was my plan initially. Now it seems I'll have to wait until August which means I'll leave the Francés for another year. I now consider starting in Oviedo and do the Primitivo or..if I have enough days, (I think I will), start walking on the Norte and then continue on the Primitivo to Santiago. Any way, I know I'll be happy, I know every day will be a day to remember, hope to meet some of you.
To JohnnieWalker or Ivar:f I have any days off once I reach Santiago I would be happy to help out in the Pilgrime Office, who should I contact? or should i just go there?
Pepa

johnBCCanada said:
Hello

I was a memeber of the Class of 2008 and then thought I would join the Class of 2011 as I had heard that the Camino would be quite crowded in 2010. Now I am thinking that I will do the Camino next year as I owuld like to but by one of the less travelled routes. Not sure which one yet as there are many each with its own character but it seems like a good year to get off the beaten path.

John

hi john, i walked the camino portuquese in november this year, some rain and mud, but such a different experience from walking the camino francis in sep-october....this time i walked to finishterre also, and felt like that was for sure the Road Less Taken.....it was special at times being the only pilgrim walking an entire day.....buen camino.....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello from the Walking Nomads. We come from Brisbane Australia and plan to walk the vdlp from Seville to Santiago and on to Finisterre in May 2010.
Six years ago we completed the Camino Frances from Le Puy to Santiago in two months and now feel ready for our next challenge.
We look forward to meeting others on the route. Chris and Cathy.

Hola Cathy and Chris

What a plan! May is a great time. It will be hotting up in the South, some flowers will stil be out, the sun will shine and the scenery is wonderful. The VdlP has its challenges but you are experienced pilgrims and I'm sure you will enjoy every step.

Buen Camino when it comes

John

A selection of Camino Jewellery
johnBCCanada said:
I walked to work this morning. Minus 23. Fortunately no wind. I am looking forward to Northern Spain next Fall.

John
Today was an "extremely" cold day in Galicia ..... +5c in santiago and -5c at O Cebreiro... say no more. I don't really miss my -32c days in Norway... :)
Ivar

Will arrive April 25th and have to be back at work May 30th, hoping to walk the entire Frances route from SJPDP to Santiago in those 33 days or so.
This will be my first walk. Training wearing hiking boots, start with backpack in February.
Can't wait!!!

flamidwyfe said:
Will arrive April 25th and have to be back at work May 30th, hoping to walk the entire Frances route from SJPDP to Santiago in those 33 days or so.
This will be my first walk. Training wearing hiking boots, start with backpack in February.
Can't wait!!!
This is a great time to walk... happy planning and buen camino!
Ivar

I fly into Paris on January 7 and plan to spend a few days there. Hope to start from SJPdP on January 11 and follow the Camino Frances. Return flight plans got skewed by my travel agent, so as of right now I don't have a set end date. I'll probably fly out of Santiago to Stansted, spend a night in London, and then fly from Gatwick to Toronto on Feb. 14.

phool4XC said:
Hope to start from SJPdP on January 11 and follow the Camino Frances.

I hope you have good weather for your start from SJPdP. Actually, a few nice days before you go will be best. There will be footprints for you to follow over the route napoleon. Even a brilliant day after a heavy snow can be trecherous. The extra effort of being the first to walk in deep snow can sap your strength.

Having your pilgrimage wrapped up and tied with a knot and flying home from London on Feb 14 may be a bit of a rush. You will need to average over 25 kms per day and will have no rest days, or "Bad Weather Days".

I note that you are from Toronto Canada so you know what winter is about.

Be safe, and have fun.
David, Victoria, Canada

phool4XC said:
I fly into Paris on January 7 and plan to spend a few days there. Hope to start from SJPdP on January 11 and follow the Camino Frances. Return flight plans got skewed by my travel agent, so as of right now I don't have a set end date. I'll probably fly out of Santiago to Stansted, spend a night in London, and then fly from Gatwick to Toronto on Feb. 14.

I agree with the previous comments and please don't be too proud to take the shuttle van over if the weather isn't perfect.(I did in an early april ice storm.) Don't want to scare you to death but I met two young English men who were rescued just before they expired in an early April storm they were both suffering from hypothermia and had to be hospitalized. It is possible to have good weather and cross without a probelm in January but listen to the advice of the Pilgrims office and above all play it safe. Buen Camino. :mrgreen:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Falcon

How is the temperature level of the lower exremeties? An update please.

Alan.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Thanks for the replies and the advice.

I have no intention of taking the Route Napoleon. The CSJ guide for the Camino Frances advises against taking that route if there's bad weather in the summer, never mind a winter crossing. It may not be as scenic, but I suspect I'll be closer to the route the medieval pilgrims would have followed. Why cross a mountain range when you can follow the coast and avoid it? :wink:

I haven't actually booked my return flight yet. My original plan had been to fly back on Feb 17 but my travel agent botched the booking and I didn't catch the error in time. 33 days *should* be enough time, but perhaps I'd better allow myself a few extra days so I can be more relaxed about things.

anniethenurse said:
Hereby joining the class of 2010 and planning for the Camino Portugues in April the 30th of 2010 from Porto to Santiago. Hope to make it to Santiago in about 12 days and will spend 3- 4 days in Santiago before going back home.
annie
hope to meet some other forum members in Santiago!!!

Hi Annie thenurse...I walked the Camino Portugese from Porto to Santiago in October 2009. Its a brilliant walk..Well serviced and marked. I also done the Camino Frances from St John Pied De Pont in May 2009. Also great.. Im hoping to go back in May 2010 and do the Frances again and the camino Primitivo in September 2010. Im under the camino spell. But I have a problem..My knee and hip is giving me trouble.. I can only wait and see. Pat

I am also one that is planning on hiking during the busy season, leaving SJPdP one of the last days of June, taking the Camino Frances and reaching SdC 4 weeks later, hopefully by the 25th of July, in time for the Santiago Festival. I didn't realize it was a holy year until this week - could make things interesting. I live just outside of DC, and I'm planning on making the trip by myself, but would love to meet up with other pilgrims along the way! :D Let me know if you will be traveling during the same time!

Sara

Bought my air fare, so I'm now committed to a spring pilgrimage. I'll be starting along the Caminho Portuguese from Porto in mid-April. Although it is a short trek, I plan to spend about a month on it, stopping for a day or more in many of the towns along the way -- Vila do Conde, Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valenca/Tui and Pontevedra (at least). And I'll be moving slowly, doing a lot of photography along the way.

Kit Taylor
http://www.arovingvision.com

I am leaving on May 29 from Amsterdam to Madrid and from there I will take the bus to LeĂłn, where I will start my camino on May 31. Hope to arrive at Santiago on June 18, my 26th birthday, and return to Holland on June 20.
I already bought my plane tickets, couldn't make a reservation for the ALSA bus to LeĂłn yet. Can't wait to go!!!

My name is Joseph Flavin from Chicago. I plan to walk the Camino Frances in April 2010 for my 60th birthday. I am looking for guidance on best ways to get to SJDD from Chicago and from Santiago to Chicago. I am also looking to skype and email with folks who have recently completed the pilgrimage. I would like to discuss what went well and difficulties encountered. I will be looking for feedback on equipment/gear to bring, places to see etc.

Air tickets are bought. We'll leave Sevilla on March 9th 2010 and do our best to reach Salamanca.
We'll walk the second part in 2011.
We already walked from Eze, between Nice (France) and Monaco, in 2006 = +/- 1850kms through
Voie du Piémont Pyrénéen and Camino Frances. In 2007, we walked Camino del Norte from San Sebastian an in 2008, we walked from Eze to Roma, partly following Via Francigena.

We can't wait starting again on the Camino !

Happy New Year to you all

Francis
http://www.stjacques.fr

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's New Year's Day and I hereby proudly join the Class of 2010. I plan to walk the Northern Route in August and hope to bike the Camino Frances afterwards when, hopefully it has cooled down a bit and the crowds (present company excepted) are down.

Bob

Hi everybody.

Thanks to the GREAT site with tons of useful info. I am Russian, living and working in Germany. Have been in Santiago Compostela this year on business, have seen pilgrims and learned about Camino. Got infected with idea to walk myself. Hope to start from Madrid in mid of May, probably on May 13 (we have four days of holidays). Because of work commitments I will have just a bit more then three weeks for the walk. A bit afraid about getting lost but can hardly wait.

Natalia.

Hello,
I am hoping to walk the Via Mozarabe in March 2010. I would be very glad of any assistance or comments, as there is almost nothing available on most forums. I will hook up with the Via de la Plata in Merida.
If anyone has a strong feeling that a lone female walker should not attempt the Mozarabe, I'd be interested in that too.
I have walked the Frances, and also read Tony Kevin's book.
Thanks in advance.
Aleesha

This site can prevent getting lost, and has a lot of planning information. Go to the English language option; choose the Mozarabe Route; look at the maps, accommodations (Refuge and Lodging), and the tourist information. I print the maps; the detail is not great, but they are useful.

http://www.mundicamino.com/

Hi everyone!
I'm Amanda, just joined. I walked from Sarria to Santiago in March of 2008, and will be walking the entire Camino Francés during the month of March of this year. I'm too excited! Last time, I was with a group of friends, but I will be facing the Camino by myself. I need the time alone.
I'm already losing sleep in anticipation! :mrgreen:

Nice to see some fellow Canadians, and fellow Montrealers that will be walking the Camino.

I'm planning on starting from St Jean-Pied-de-Port all the way to Santiago late April / early May. Just trying to figure out the best kind of gear to bring, esp. re: footwear / sleepwear. (I'm worried about it being crowded due to being a pilgrim year). Hope to see you on the trail!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.