• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Hi Dave, I arrive 28th but start walking Sunday morning 29th but you know what happened with that old tortoise! I have a Forum badge on my pack so you may notice me if I do catch up! Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I WILLBE MAKING ANOTHER JOURNEY IN SEPT FROM SANTIAGO TO FINISTERRE , THEN I WILL RETURN TO SANTIAGO AND I AM SO EXCITED TO BE AN AMIGO AND WELCOME MANY , AFTER I WILL WALK A BIT MORE AGAIN TOWARDS SANTIAGO ! I THINK I MAY BE A 2014 PILGRIM AS WELL. BUEN CAMINO

Hi, I'm Margaret... Planning to start my Camino from Leon on Sept 26 or 27... I've been thinking of doing this for years, excited that it's finally happening:) Buen Camino everyone!

Margaret
(Canada)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are off to walk the Camino Primitivo on Sept 9th (arriving in Oveido mid to late afternoon on the 8th)!

Katie and I are always up for something off-beat, spiritual, exploratory, challenging, fun, different

She is a very talented psycho-therapist and I am in the Educational Sales/consulting world

I am also a potter and Katie is a fearless spiritual warrior (guess who's idea the Camino was?!)

Hi my dear Camino friends... Going at least! Just on the airport in Split Croatia waiting for my flight to Oviedo. From there to Leon and then on the Camino <3 For the first time!
So excited :)
Thanks my dear friends for everything. Love you... And special thanks to you kinky ;-) Buen Camino to all of us on the road :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola! I'll be arriving in Madrid Sept 4th. I plan to start my Camino from Pamplona. I'm giving myself 5 weeks to complete the journey to Santiago. I'll be celebrating my 62nd birthday on the Camino Francés. This is going to be some adventure for me. I've gathered so much good information from this site. Thank you everyone for sharing. - Felipe (Oakland, California)

Well after 18+ months of planning the day is finally here! Tomorrow morning I leave for the airport to begin my Camino in Saint Jean. I cannot thanks the members of this forum enough for their sage counsel and kind words of encouragement. Your help was invaluable and I am in your debt; when I get back in October I will pay it forward as well and as best I can. Thank you all again, I hope to meet many of you in the coming weeks! Buen CAmino!!

Hi, I am Ellen from Darwin, Australia. This forum has been so extremely helpful to me in my preparation for the Camino. Been training in the heat and humidity and on flat terrain as that is what it is like around here, so nothing like what it will be in Spain but it will be OK. I leave mid September and will start at SJPP. Thank you for this forum.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello
My name is Ardi - and together with my husband Sid plan to leave SJPDP Sept 25 spending the first night in Orrison. We live in Alberta, Canada and hope to complete our very first camino in Santiago around Nov 1. We are considering going on to Fisterra for another week....

Thank you so much for this forum - the comments have been so very helpful. Sometimes when thinking about this trip it nearly takes my breath away!! I am enormously grateful!

Hey guys! I'm Nathan and I just finished Day #2 of my camino. I am currently in Varzy, about 50 km Southwest of Vezelay, where I started the day before yesterday. You can follow me on lifeisacamino.com and learn more about the Voie de Vezelay. Buen Camino!

Hi, Kevin here from Ireland.
I started and completed the Camino Frances between 27 May and 2 July this year. To those who I met and talked to along the way – thank you. Hindsight is a bit like beer goggles at a nightclub; it tends to distort reality. But, I can honestly say that I loved every minute with you all.
Sometimes I might have walked past you with a “Buen Camino” being the only words to spill from my mouth. I’m sorry that I didn’t slow down and speak more. I always thought I’d hook up with people at the end of the day’s hike and have a chat over a cerveza or two. A lot of the time it never happened. I regret that.
Thanks especially to the friends made at the sangria party in Santo Domingo (or was it Belorado?); thanks to Helena and Mark from Canada who we met on the forest descent into Roncevalles on Day 1 – your laughter was infectious; thanks to two very special people in Gernot and Sylvia from Germany – you know why; thanks to Marcus and Lottie from Coventry; Bart from Belgium; Shaun from the USA; Daniel from Germany (via Canada!!) and Juan from Vigo. Most of all, thanks to Antoinette from the Netherlands who I met with briefly and had the most moving conversation of my entire Camino.
I don’t know if I’ll do the Camino again, but all these wonderful people and memories make it practically impossible to say “never”.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2013?
Buen Camino
Arn

I am going to retire and start walking in September 2013. By then, I hope to have a walking trailer that I can pile high with heavy equipment!
I have all my tickets and am ready to go in 2 weeks. My first camino and first walk through. I am so excited and scared to death LOL

Hi all! I'm starting my Camino (Frances) on August 30-31st from SJPP. Still making travel arrangements and trying to decide whether to fly into Paris, Madrid, or Pamplona. If anyone is starting their Camino around that time and want to pool resources (cabs, etc.) let me know. Many thanks.

Derek
Baltimore, Maryland

Hi - I will arrive in SJPdP on 18th September, ready to start my own Camino Frances the following day. I plan on taking it relatively easy along the way, with a few side excursions (perhaps a bus ride from Burgos to Madrid to visit the Prado) and perhaps a couple of rest/sightseeing days, finishing in Fisterra and then back to SdC in time for All Saints Festival on 1 November.

Have read a lot on the forum, taken lots of mental notes, refined my packing list (thank you all for a lot of very useful tips and advice) ... and now starting to get both a little nervous and excited. I look forward to meeting many fellow Forum members and pilgrims along the way, and sharing in the Pilgrim spirit.

Regards, Brett
Tauranga, New Zealand

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi - I will arrive in SJPdP on 18th September, ready to start my own Camino Frances the following day. I plan on taking it relatively easy along the way, with a few side excursions (perhaps a bus ride from Burgos to Madrid to visit the Prado) and perhaps a couple of rest/sightseeing days, finishing in Fisterra and then back to SdC in time for All Saints Festival on 1 November.

Have read a lot on the forum, taken lots of mental notes, refined my packing list (thank you all for a lot of very useful tips and advice) ... and now starting to get both a little nervous and excited. I look forward to meeting many fellow Forum members and pilgrims along the way, and sharing in the Pilgrim spirit.

Regards, Brett
Tauranga, New Zealand

Hi Brett,
We will be starting Camino on same day...see you there!
Buen Camino
Aidan:)

Hi Brett,
We will be starting Camino on same day...see you there!
Buen Camino
Hi Brett & AML,
Snap we are starting the same day as well ! (The day after Arsenal beat Marseille!)
Buen Camino
Mike

Hi there,

Next week around this time i'll be walking to Roncesvalles.
Leaving sjpdp ob sept 6, flying back home from somewhere in spain on sept 14.

I'm as prepared as I can be in 2013, considering that i decided not so long ago to walk, and I did not have much free time since to follow all the enormous amount of advice available in this forum.

I just cannot wait any longer to start, if even for only a few days.
I'll get myself there and start walking.
Then i'll see how far my steps, one at a time, will take me. And then I'll go back home. A bit different, maybe somehow better, I hope.

It has been great learning from all the posts in this blog, many thanks to you all !!

Hoping to meeting some of you along way, some day...

Silvia

Silvia,

How excited you must be as soon you begin your camino!

Remember your path will be made by your feet; there is no single way.

We pilgrims may share our journeys, hopes and fears, but in no sense do we move as a single force! Each of us creates a particular pattern moving along. Thus the Camino is composed of all these pilgrims' patterns; the multitude of these individual units across time and space together form the whole.

"For it matters not how small the beginning may seem to be: what is once well done is done forever..." , Henry David Thoreau, 1849

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hello... Rory from Indianapolis here.

My friends have a bit more time off from work, so they are starting the camino in a couple of days. I will meet them in Burgos on the 14th or 15th (depending on their progress), and joining them from there the the end. I have the pre-trip butterflies... It is so close, I just want the trip to get started!

If you see me or my friends, you'll know us by our colorful blue and yellow shirts. Say hello!
Camino shirts completed small.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi
I'm Filomena & I'm new, finally after bugging Ivar for days my luddite self is now able to post. I'm an oldish (62) neewbie, wanting to walk in 2012 but considering the training required it probably won't be till 2013, since, tho not overweight, I am not fit. I live in the coastal area of Louisiana where the highest point is an alligator's back. I have an incline treadmill & there is a local backpack group that I can train with. It's my desire to do the Camno Norte, since my Mama was born near the Besaya river. I'd like to go there first to put flowers on Abuelo's grave & find all of the family places, then head to Santillana del Mar.
I'm honored to be posting (that's if I did this right) after?on? Falcon, I've read all of your posts & would love for you to do a pamphlet on feet: Vaseline/silicone, 2-3? Socks/compeed/medipore/vigilon/talc/no talc/mastisol/scaraway??? Then maybe consider the sensitive places on arms & legs? I consider you to be the 'source' But I shall try not to sound very stalker..this is an amazing site, but mind-numbing in it's complexity. Mil gracias
Mena

Hi everyone
I am planning on walking in September-October 2013. Even now, it is hard to think about much else, every spare minute is spent reading and researching and just 'thinking' about the possibilities. At this point, I'm aiming to leave SJPP somewhere around mid-September and to take my time. As a 'just turned 60 Aussie' pilgrim, I will be walking alone and am looking forward to discovering what the Camino holds for me and to meeting others who are journeying at that time. Thank you to everyone for sharing their wisdom, what a treasure trove this site is!
cheers Jen

PS any advice keenly accepted :)
http://www.trace63.wordpress.com/

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Karen,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

September and October are wonderful months to walk the Camino. However you must be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be chilly or cold and freezing rain or even snow might occur. Be prepared!

Since the crowds of summer are past you will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere. By mid October not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is on the next stage. Most will either be heated or have blankets.

Good luck with your training. Remember that the most common Camino injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Started walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Hi Mike and Aidan - see you on the 18th. Regards, Brett

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for quite a few months and have finally decided to introduce myself. Many thanks to all who have posted, especially those who don't know why they are doing this, don't feel fit/young enough to do this and have some serious reservations about how they will be doing this! I know exactly how you feel! You have no idea how much your postings have helped me.

I will be flying (standby) into Paris from the US on the 16th of September and will be starting my camino from Pamplona within the next few days. I am still researching my options on how to actually get to my Camino starting spot. My plan is to spend a day or two in Pamplona to get things organized and settled and than set off to Santiago and on to Finisterre/Muxia. I am both excited and scared as I am a 50ish female walking solo and have never done anything like this before. Other than the first few days, I don't plan to book anything further because I think I am a slow walker (or as I like to think, a dawdling observer) and overwhelmed with the amount of information available. My intention is to take my time and let my intuition and my body be my guides as to when and where to stop - that and a copy of the Brierley guide and insightful info from this forum; I will not be doing the set stages.

If the people on this forum are any indication of the people I will meet on the trail - I look forward to getting there as soon as possible. Many thanks to all who ask and answer questions with so much insight and respect for their fellow pilgrims.

In Appreciation,
Chris

Hello,

I have been reading this forum for quite a few months and have finally decided to introduce myself. Many thanks to all who have posted, especially those who don't know why they are doing this, don't feel fit/young enough to do this and have some serious reservations about how they will be doing this! I know exactly how you feel! You have no idea how much your postings have helped me.

I will be flying (standby) into Paris from the US on the 16th of September and will be starting my camino from Pamplona within the next few days. I am still researching my options on how to actually get to my Camino starting spot. My plan is to spend a day or two in Pamplona to get things organized and settled and than set off to Santiago and on to Finisterre/Muxia. I am both excited and scared as I am a 50ish female walking solo and have never done anything like this before. Other than the first few days, I don't plan to book anything further because I think I am a slow walker (or as I like to think, a dawdling observer) and overwhelmed with the amount of information available. My intention is to take my time and let my intuition and my body be my guides as to when and where to stop - that and a copy of the Brierley guide and insightful info from this forum; I will not be doing the set stages.

If the people on this forum are any indication of the people I will meet on the trail - I look forward to getting there as soon as possible. Many thanks to all who ask and answer questions with so much insight and respect for their fellow pilgrims.

In Appreciation,
Chris

Hi Chris....Welcome:) Congratulations on deciding to do your Camino. You have the right idea of listening to your body and taking it easy...I'm sure you will have a fantastic journey. Maybe I will met you along the way....I'm leaving St Jean on 19th!
Good luck & Buen Camino

Leaving today for Madrid from San Francisco, California. Arriving Pamplona Sept 5th. I'm going to skip the Pyrenees and spend two days in Pamplona instead. Looking forward to the adventure. Focusing on the positive. Hoping for good weather.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Over Pyrenees yesterday, tough day, 2 of us cycling (or more like pushing bike up mountain, stopped in Espinal for night. Not looking forward to rain over next couple of days:)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Hi, My name is Camilla and I am doing my first Camino experience on 21st September to the 28th September with my bf. While I am only doing a week, I am excited already and feel that I know I will be back again. I have heard nothing but positive things about doing the Camino and I am bowled over by the kindness of people who have done it before in helping my other half and I prepare for our little adventure. We look forward to meeting new people and also to enjoy part of a trip that is a separate dream for both of us but we are getting to live it out together. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Silvia,

How excited you must be as soon you begin your camino!

Remember your path will be made by your feet; there is no single way.

We pilgrims may share our journeys, hopes and fears, but in no sense do we move as a single force! Each of us creates a particular pattern moving along. Thus the Camino is composed of all these pilgrims' patterns; the multitude of these individual units across time and space together form the whole.

"For it matters not how small the beginning may seem to be: what is once well done is done forever..." , Henry David Thoreau, 1849

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Dear Margaret, all

Just came back from my first (very short) Camino:
9 days from St Jean to Logrono.
Still digesting it. What an experience!

Many thanks to this forum for support and inspiration!

Silvia

Hello,

In Appreciation,
Chris
Buen Camino Chris!!!

Leaving today for Madrid from San Francisco, California. Arriving Pamplona Sept 5th. I'm going to skip the Pyrenees and spend two days in Pamplona instead. Looking forward to the adventure. Focusing on the positive. Hoping for good weather.
Buen Camino!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
G'day,
I'm a pilgrim from Gold Coast Australia, leaving the lovely early summer to walk the Camino
My flight arrives in Biaritz on the 5th October and I have another flight leaving Santiago De Compostella on the 7th November 2013. Might need to transfer some parts along the way.
Any advice is welcome. I'm going the tunnel route to Burgos then the Camino Frances the rest of the way.
Looking forwards to meeting some new friends along the way.

Buen Camino

Kathy from Vancouver.

My room mate and I are starting from Irun on the 21st of September, walking the Camino del Norte.
I only have 3 weeks, by my room mate Joan is walking the entire way!

Kathy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow ... I just got myself convince to do it. I will be in Spain - leaving from Leon on October 2 ! Ufffff i feel like a kid now ! Hope to meet great people on my way !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2013?
Buen Camino
Arn

I am going to retire and start walking in September 2013. By then, I hope to have a walking trailer that I can pile high with heavy equipment!
I have just completed Sarria to Santiago August 13. Can I be a member of the Class of 2013. I love the Camino

Hello, I am Ketil (41) from Norway, waldorf teacher, walking my first camino from SJPP November 3. I am grateful for this forum, read it every day. Why the Camino? I really don't know. But it is something I have to do. I was actually first inspired by this medieval Norwegian song, about Charlemagne's knight Roland, killed in Roncevalles, according to the tale. I'm in bad shape. Hope my feet will hold, hope the way to change my life in some way I don't know yet. I will try to do it "unplugged", longing for a digital break, inspired by some of the posters here. Best wishes to all of you out there walking, and thanks to you past pilgrims for sharing.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola Ketil -
I wish you a wonderful camino and I hope it helps you with what you need at this time in your life.
Buen Camino!
Go well and safely

Hello, I am Ketil (41) from Norway, waldorf teacher, walking my first camino from SJPP November 3. I am very grateful for this forum, read it every day. Why the Camino? I really don't know. I have a strange and growing longing for this walk, something I really have to do, even though few understand it, not even those close to me. Is it common this urge, and what is it? I was actually first inspired by this medieaval Norwegian song, about Charlemagnes knight Roland as you know was killed in Roncevalles, according to the tale. I'm in bad shape. Hope my feet will hold, hope the way to change my life in some way I don't know yet, hope to be of help to someone along the road, hope to allow myself to be helped, and hope to heal the wounds after a recent loss. I will try to do it "unplugged", longing for a break from my iphone, inspired by some of the posters here. Best wishes to all of you out there walking, and thanks to you past pilgrims for sharing.
Buen Camino!!

Hello, I'm Geneviève, from Montréal Québec. I have just returned from my first Camino. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago from May 14 to June 18. I am now a Camino addict and have already started planning my 2013 Camino. I am lucky that I can accumulate some paid hours that are added to my yearly 20 days of vacation; by 2013 I will have more than 6 weeks to do the camino.

Some people may think "She's still on a high from her last Camino. Give her a few months and she'll stop thinking about doing it again". By putting my name in the Class of 2013, I am making a promise to myself to do this again.

The only decision i have to make now is: Should I go in May-June again or late September-October?

Hey there Gen, did you go back, and if so, when?? You gave me some good advice back in the spring of 2013, I went and can't wait to go back. Next time, I will do as you did and go thru Paris then maybe a train. I met no one headed for SJPP via Madrid, but others met folks coming from Bayonne on the train, and that sounds like more fun. Can't wait to go back.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So like I said above, I went in late April via Madrid, Pamplona and on up to SJPP, then walked back thru Pamplona to Santiago (arrived June 4th), flew back thru Madrid. Next year I am considering going in the fall, via Paris. I'm wondering about the bed bugs and rain in the fall, anyone know?

So like I said above, I went in late April via Madrid, Pamplona and on up to SJPP, then walked back thru Pamplona to Santiago (arrived June 4th), flew back thru Madrid. Next year I am considering going in the fall, via Paris. I'm wondering about the bed bugs and rain in the fall, anyone know?
Hello Lisa. I am also thinking about going thru Madrid R/T from JFK next May when I do my Camino. We do not hear of too many ppl going thru Madrid. Usually thru Paris. Buen Camino and thx for sharing.

Ed

Hello everyone!

I'm from Latvia, and I believe many latvians have already walked the camino - two in particular (www.santjagocels.lv) have inspired me to walk too. I guess my motivation is a bit of everything - spiritual, tiredness of routine, longing for adventure, and, besides, I really love outdoor trips. So I'll see where Camino takes me. I'm leaving today early and will start from Burgos on Sunday, 6th of October, which seems very appropriate. Feeling very calm, focused and on a verge of great adventure!

I have been reading this forum for some time now, writing down useful tips (especially regarding packing things) and just soaking up others' experience, and wanted to thank each and every one on this forum for their contribution!

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone!

I'm from Latvia, and I believe many latvians have already walked the camino - two in particular (www.santjagocels.lv) have inspired me to walk too. I guess my motivation is a bit of everything - spiritual, tiredness of routine, longing for adventure, and, besides, I really love outdoor trips. So I'll see where Camino takes me. I'm leaving today early and will start from Burgos on Sunday, 6th of October, which seems very appropriate. Feeling very calm, focused and on a verge of great adventure!

I have been reading this forum for some time now, writing down useful tips (especially regarding packing things) and just soaking up others' experience, and wanted to thank each and every one on this forum for their contribution!

Buen Camino!
Enjoy your Camino and Buen Camino.

Hello all. i start my first camino in Saint Jean either Thursday or Friday depending on how my transportation from Arkansas goes. buen camino - lorenzo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi I'm planning to make my camino I would like in the fall of 2013 from Le-Puy to Santiago de Compostela I have nothing decided yet, I would like to know the experts advise.
Saludos
Travel light

Hi Everyone
I'm Maggie from the North of England and I walked with some women friends for a few days on el Norte in Sept this year. We took the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander and walked mainly to the West of Santander from Comillas to Ribadesella. There were wildlife watchers on outbound and return ferries which added to the excitement. I took a lot of inspiration from Tia Valeria 's account of walking el Norte starting from Exeter and I'm sad she is leaving the forum. The trip in Sept 2013 was very much a rekky as we say /a preparatiion. I had done some training walking 10 k per day for a month on the West coast of Wales and on the round walk in my home town of Sheffield. This was a good preparation for walking on el camino intersperesed with the coastal footpath. Best hostal was in Llanes del Poo (pronounced Po). We didn't have a pilgrim passport and part of my learning curve was to realise that for 'el proximo camino' it is essential to have a pilgrim passport/credential as well as a passport to access all accomodation /hostales in Spain. The scenery , food and companionship exceeded my wildest expectations. The Feve train along the North Coast is fantastic . Fish soup was very nourishing and Santander a beautiful city. The ferry to Somo and the beach and walks around there are very beautifiul. I plan to start again from Irun in Sept 2014 from the beginning with credencial.
Buen Camino
Maggie

Hello Lisa. I am also thinking about going thru Madrid R/T from JFK next May when I do my Camino. We do not hear of too many ppl going thru Madrid. Usually thru Paris. Buen Camino and thx for sharing.

Ed
Madrid was interesting since I had never been there. Customs was a breeze! I jumped on a bus which took me to the downtown train station. From there I walked 2 1/2 blocks to an early check in at AC (Marriott) . Decided to try to stay up all day since I didn't feel jet lagged. Went out walking for miles and ended up taking a double decker bus tour and hitting Sophia Reina Art Museum, then Tapas at a place in the same block. I ended up sitting by some Canadians which was fun since I hadn't really talked to anyone all day due to my lack of Spanish language. The next morning I walked to the train station and rode up to Pamplona. I walked around and explored town then met my ride, Ivar, of Corazon Pura Casa Rural. He drove me to Viskarret where he and his girlfriend Barbara run Corazon Pura. I had a twin bed in a double twin room and did not end up sharing it with anyone. There were 3 Dutch couples staying in other rooms (they had already been walking the Camino) and it was fun because almost everyone spoke English. Barbara is a good cook, too, and provided both dinner and breakfast the next morning which were included in the room charge. (there was really no place else to eat). Ivar drove me on over to SJPP the next morning and dropped me off not far from my alburgue Esprit de Chemin where I shared a room with 3 others, a lady from South Africa, a man from Canada, and another man from Ireland. We had a wonderful dinner with the rest of the pilgrims staying there. It was a good way to start my Camino, actually having a few faces I would run into again weeks later. The next morning I hiked up to Refuge Orisson and stayed there in a coed room of 8, and met a few more nice pilgrims. Some I would never see again, but certainly won't forget.

I'm giving you all these details because it was a bit of a puzzle figuring out how to get to SJPP from Madrid. The cab quote from Pamplona to SJPP was much more than I wanted to pay, so I felt very fortunate to have found Ivar online just a week before I arrived. I also felt that the transition from the Marriott to a Casa Rural, to an Alburgue was a smooth way to go, with little culture shock. I'm assuming that you are going in 2014?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all

I leave in 6 days from UK on 02/11 and shall arrive in SJPP on 03/11 to depart following morning.

Hoping to reach at least Santiago and if all holds up/together, onwards to Finisterre

Feeling excited, light (no burdens), humble, and embarrassed that it's taken me until now to do this wonderful journey

Madrid was interesting since I had never been there. Customs was a breeze! I jumped on a bus which took me to the downtown train station. From there I walked 2 1/2 blocks to an early check in at AC (Marriott) . Decided to try to stay up all day since I didn't feel jet lagged. Went out walking for miles and ended up taking a double decker bus tour and hitting Sophia Reina Art Museum, then Tapas at a place in the same block. I ended up sitting by some Canadians which was fun since I hadn't really talked to anyone all day due to my lack of Spanish language. The next morning I walked to the train station and rode up to Pamplona. I walked around and explored town then met my ride, Ivar, of Corazon Pura Casa Rural. He drove me to Viskarret where he and his girlfriend Barbara run Corazon Pura. I had a twin bed in a double twin room and did not end up sharing it with anyone. There were 3 Dutch couples staying in other rooms (they had already been walking the Camino) and it was fun because almost everyone spoke English. Barbara is a good cook, too, and provided both dinner and breakfast the next morning which were included in the room charge. (there was really no place else to eat). Ivar drove me on over to SJPP the next morning and dropped me off not far from my alburgue Esprit de Chemin where I shared a room with 3 others, a lady from South Africa, a man from Canada, and another man from Ireland. We had a wonderful dinner with the rest of the pilgrims staying there. It was a good way to start my Camino, actually having a few faces I would run into again weeks later. The next morning I hiked up to Refuge Orisson and stayed there in a coed room of 8, and met a few more nice pilgrims. Some I would never see again, but certainly won't forget.

I'm giving you all these details because it was a bit of a puzzle figuring out how to get to SJPP from Madrid. The cab quote from Pamplona to SJPP was much more than I wanted to pay, so I felt very fortunate to have found Ivar online just a week before I arrived. I also felt that the transition from the Marriott to a Casa Rural, to an Alburgue was a smooth way to go, with little culture shock. I'm assuming that you are going in 2014?
Hello Lisa (Shout it out), This is excellent information!!! Thank you! I like the idea of staying a night in Madrid, Viskarret and then SGPdP. Lets me just kind of slide into the Camino without rushing into it. You have a great plan. And yes, I plan to arrive about end of May to start at SJPdP and go all the way to Lands end. Thank you again.
Ed

Hello all

I leave in 6 days from UK on 02/11 and shall arrive in SJPP on 03/11 to depart following morning.

Hoping to reach at least Santiago and if all holds up/together, onwards to Finisterre

Feeling excited, light (no burdens), humble, and embarrassed that it's taken me until now to do this wonderful journey

Buen Camino Tim:)
Hope you enjoy your first Camino as much as I have. An experience to be treasured!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all

Salut Tim, I am leaving Canada Thursday and should start at SJPDP on the morning of Nov.3 as well. Our paths may cross! Have a great journey!

Daniel, from Canada

btw... I am leaving Canada on Oct 31, but arriving in Madrid on Nov.1. I will then take a bus from the airport to Pamplona (Conda Buses). I am staying one night in Pamplona. The following day, Nov.2, I am taking the only bus that day at 14h00 to SSPDP. So spending a night there, I can start my Camino the following morning, Nov. 3!! I too am excited, but also scared, anxious, emotional, ... full bag of different emotions! That's what make it so special I guess! Leaving my precious 10-year old at home for more thatn 30 days is certainly not easy (first time I'll be away from him more thatn a couple of days!)....

Questions - I know I saw this somewhere but now I can't remember where :

1) I have a Canada Pilgrim's Credencial that has been issued here in Quebec for me. Do I still need to go to the Pilgrim's office at SJPDP? Should I anyway (Get registered, get the "shell", documentation...??);
2) Morning I start my Camino, is there a tradition to go to a Pilgrim's mass first? What is the time in the morning for this? Or is it the evening before?

Thanks so much for any info on this. I appreciate it in advance.

Daniel

Thank you AML
And safe trip Daniel, see you per chance en route
I've no idea where staying in SJPP or when leaving in morning
I'm intrigued to find out how many pilgrims there will be at this time of year

€46,-
Hi!

I finished the Camino on the 27th of June 2013 with 5 women all aged 50 ( except 1) I loved this walk so much!! It's something that will bond you and only peregrinos who have walked will ever understand. trace63.wordpress.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 13
Hello all

Hi

You will love it!! trace63.wordpress.com

btw... I am leaving Canada on Oct 31, but arriving in Madrid on Nov.1. I will then take a bus from the airport to Pamplona (Conda Buses). I am staying one night in Pamplona. The following day, Nov.2, I am taking the only bus that day at 14h00 to SSPDP. So spending a night there, I can start my Camino the following morning, Nov. 3!! I too am excited, but also scared, anxious, emotional, ... full bag of different emotions! That's what make it so special I guess! Leaving my precious 10-year old at home for more thatn 30 days is certainly not easy (first time I'll be away from him more thatn a couple of days!)....

1) I have a Canada Pilgrim's Credencial that has been issued here in Quebec for me. Do I still need to go to the Pilgrim's office at SJPDP? Should I anyway (Get registered, get the "shell", documentation...??);
2) Morning I start my Camino, is there a tradition to go to a Pilgrim's mass first? What is the time in the morning for this? Or is it the evening before?

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Yeah you will still need to go to pilgrims office in St Jean, you will receive your official stamp there for the beginning of your Camino, shells are available by donation, you will get info on routes, elevations and albergues also!
I didn't attend and pilgrims mass in St Jean, there may be one available in the evening...i'm not sure! There are loads of opportunities to attend pilgrims mass and receive pilgrims blessings along the way!!

Hope you have a wonderful journey!

Buen Camino

Daniel

1. I used my Americans on the Camino passport and checked into the Pilgrims office to get my credential stamped, this is also where they get their numbers of where everybody is from and how many are starting in SJPDP, they had a box of shells for a donation, after that, I was offered a bed in Municipal Albergue for 8 euros with breakfast which I gladly accepted, I was then escorted to my bed in the Municipal Albergue (they do this for each individual.) I too took the same bus you will be taking to SJPDP, go straight to the Pilgrims Office after you get off the bus and get checked in, others that got there later had to get private accommodations at a higher cost. Once you get checked in and get your bed, you'll have plenty of time to walk around and shop for food for the next day and go out for dinner, I recommend Hurrup Eta Klik down the street from the Albergue.
  2. I don't recall a tradition of a Pilgrims mass in SJPDP, the first big Pilgrims mass is in Roncesvalles at 1900.

Last edited:
I'm Lea from the Philippines. I walked the Camino May-June of this year. Still on the road (not on the Camino) since then, seeing new places, meeting people, and experiencing amazing adventures, but the memories of the Camino remains to be the most special one. If I met you along the way, please drop me a message. I would love to get in touch! :)

Help, I've just returned from my Camino one month ago and the Camino blues have just set in. I'm having a rough time adjusting. Any suggestions please....

I will go back. Just can't manage to get the time off. Maybe I'll retire.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi! My name's Lara and I'm from Italy.
I live in Bellaria, a small city near Rimini (that is a small city on the north-eastern coast, too :)).
I did the Camino from the 8th of October to the 6th of November 2013 and it was my first time.
I think there will be other opportunities to do it again! Buen Camino!

Help, I've just returned from my Camino one month ago and the Camino blues have just set in. I'm having a rough time adjusting. Any suggestions please....
Plan another, which I'm presently doing and getting very excited to do in the late spring. Buen camino!!

I live in Bellaria, a small city near Rimini (that is a small city on the north-eastern coast, too :)).
I did the Camino from the 8th of October to the 6th of November 2013 and it was my first time.

Hi Lara,

I see you stopped at the "Paradise on Earth" :rolleyes: ... That was an awesome stop for me meeting Andrei (David was not there when i went)... what a nice souvenir!! I was there from Nov.3 to Nov. 29

Daniel

Here are two photos of my stop there!! DSC01017-LR.jpgDSC01018-LR.jpg

I'm from Indiana (USA). I walked my first Camino from Burgos to Santiago between September 16- October 3, 2013.

Last edited:

€46,-
I remember that I hoped that the day I'd have spent in Astorga would have been sunny. (Please, correct me if my English is wrong!)
And it was. ;)

I remember that I hoped that the day I'd have spent in Astorga would have been sunny. (Please, correct me if my English is wrong!)
And it was. ;)

It's funny, because I took that route instead of the paved route which all of my friends took that day. But I still decide to take the mountain route alone. So glad I did. It was cold, but sunny. When I arrived there, took some coats off, boot off, laid there in the sun with the birds signing and the company of Andrei. It was a real blessing. So much memories, n'est-ce pas! Thanks for your message, it got me to remember...

Great trip; delighted I did it. Met many very special friends and I miss them all! Had my birthday on the trail. Friends gave me balloons and when we stopped for coffee everybody in the shop sang "Happy Birthday!" Wonderful memories. Made Santiago the next day and cried in the church. Pablo

Attachments

• 76th 11 June 2013.JPG
    76th 11 June 2013.JPG
    469.9 KB · Views: 11
Great trip; delighted I did it. Met many very special friends and I miss them all! Had my birthday on the trail. Friends gave me balloons and when we stopped for coffee everybody in the shop sang "Happy Birthday!" Wonderful memories. Made Santiago the next day and cried in the church. Pablo
Great Pic Pablo!!!!! Happy Belated.....

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.